Why are videogame graphics regressing?

Why are videogame graphics regressing?

Attached: just blur my shit up.png (1280x1560, 1.08M)

The absolute state of J*pan.

budget. wait until we get a big worldwide recession, video games are going to be absolute barebones. you think you've seen recycled content now? just wait

yeah basically any modern game looks awful without it on, RDR2 especially looks horrid. But the good thing is, it doesn't look bad, in fact the anti aliasing looks amazing, there's some ghosting now and then on things moving further away in the distance, but you're not supposed to be looking there anyways. the smoothness of the overall image is a pleasure to behold, and that's a fact.

holy fuck, thanks for making me realize why in modern games hair looks like shit, i've always disabled AA and never connected the dots, fuck modern games

Attached: df1ccf1c2960558977e26fa360c0ff41e052afc91a1c77a73606225fa5752b03.png (755x643, 516.92K)

>it doesn't look bad, in fact the anti aliasing looks amazing

Attached: (You) making a modern AAA game.webm (1280x720, 2.35M)

some shit about transparency being difficult to do with deferred rendering so they use weird dithering shit for transparency

>i've always disabled AA
why do you want your games to look like shit?

Go spend $50 on sonic origins pay piggy

>why do you want your games to look like shit?
they already do look like shit, AA makes them look like blurry shit

>why do you want your games to look like shit?
He said he disabled AA, he didn't say he bought games with non-white protagonists.

This
>Needing a chart to buy your almost 30 year old game
The absolute state of sonicfags

Attached: FQyhisLXEAAyyNz.jpg (2047x1056, 371.86K)

name 10 games that look worse with it on than with it off.

Every game looks worse with TAA on.

Mate how long do you think it has been we've been happy with this fucking franchise?

Attached: 834.jpg (640x960, 81.85K)

This. Western games quite simply never have this problem. We didn't have the top because we developed for PC since the beginning and we sure as hell don't have that crap at the bottom.

Elden Ring has fantastic TAA.
TAA in general is quite interesting, since every engine needs to have their own implementation, which is why in some games it looks great and in some it looks like a pure vaseline. The blurring usually can be minimized with some decent sharpening filter, even external one. AMD's CAS is fantastic and it's open source, and if you're not satisfied with TAA implementation, you can inject it through reshade.
And yeah, TAA allows to use less accurate effects (like dithering for transparency instead of alpha, same with shadows) to recreate better looking effects at much better performance.
The idea behind TAA is that it's supersampling based on previous frames instead of higher resolution. TAA became necessary because graphics became too detailed and aliasing (or rather shimmering) doesn't come from the edges, but from shaders.

I don't even need to demonstrate how this is false, you already know it is, faggot.

You know, I wonder if the morons that really believe this aren't just still using 3rd world monitors like 900p 16:10 or 1080p shit.

Elden Ring does look amazingly smooth with it, it's a good example of how to use it. but I'm pretty sure the only reason it doesn't look "blurry" is because there's absolutely no written text anywhere on any textures in the game world.

TAA causes people to sperg out in games like RDR2 because there's a fuckton of text in the form of textures in the 3d game space, like the magazines, etc.

TAA usually has problems with motion artifacts, like fast movement, and in Elden Ring I hardly could find any issue at all.
The only issue I found was when using the elevators, as the elevator was leaving the trails behind, but even now I'm not sure if it's TAA's fault or SSAO's fault, since I just finished replaying Bloodborne, which only uses FXAA, and it had similar problem.

What's worse?
>early 2010s piss and shit lens filters
>late 2010s/2020s TAA

Attached: Battlefield 3 Screenshot 2021.04.26 - 22.21.08.26.jpg (2560x1440, 986.67K)

TAA easily.

Attached: ff7remake__2021_12_19_10_34_43_357.jpg (2560x1440, 2.39M)

Is that why Noctis' hair looks weird on Tekken 7 on PS4?

Say what you want about their games but whatever method of antialiasing Naughty Dog uses for their games, especially Uncharted 4 and TLOU2, is incredible.

overuse of effects like motion blur, depth of field, screen shake, bloom etc all in the name of art makes games fucking awful

disabling AA is literally poorfag cope lol

RDR2 looks like clay in motion cause the TAA blurs all the detail out and it looks like one color.

>play modern illusion games
>try TAA
>instantly see 20 copies of my big tiddied mime girls
>uninstall
why are we regressing so hard?

TLOU2 was a lot better than UC4. The Shoreline guys from UC4 had really saturated red hats that always left trails like this when they were in motion and I found it really distracting

AA in modern games is almost always post processing AA and hardly has any performance impact at all. It just makes everything blurry and look like ass.

Wow! Which snoystation exclusive is this?!

Attached: 1648418414792.png (800x800, 597.26K)

Small boobs

Neat what they figured out back in the day.

Remember when programming was about figuring out how to turn a disadvantage into an advantage.

This shit's worse than ambient occlusion haloing that nobody seems to notice.

I'm not some tard from Yea Forums running 2006 resolutions, game looks fine on my 4K monitor without AA.

Well, except the consoletard hair design.

>wait

Attached: why is this the highest quality GIF I can find of this [sound=https%3A%2F%2Ffiles.catbox.moe%2Ftd62nv.mp3].gif (540x407, 2.15M)

>He thinks his post process AA requires big boy hardware

fact

Fallout 4, MK11, and L4ad made me hate AA

easier to photoshop

Attached: [sound=https%3A%2F%2Ffiles.catbox.moe%2Fqukxc0.mp3].gif (640x576, 12.85K)

>open game for the first time
>immediately turn off bloom and motion blur

>skyrim had MSAA
>skyrim se has TAA and you can see ghosting on people's mouths every time they talk

>early

Attached: Dolphin_2021-02-09_11-18-38.png (1920x1018, 3.7M)

They did not design around blurry tvs. You're an idiot if you honestly think this.

>that nobody seems to notice
That's because literally no one but Yea Forums has a bleeding ass over the massive improvement AO makes to a game. You're just another contrarian nitpicking stupid shit

You forgot to enable Vsync and subtitles, my man.

Back in the day (we're talking 2006ish) disabling AA and bumping up the resolution was the "bang for your buck" advice to get the highest FPS out of your old GPU without sacrificing too much fidelity. It doesnt easily apply much anynore since resolution bumps don't help with the problem anymore and require a good GPU to even consider.

>we developed for PC since the beginning

Attached: serben.gif (288x198, 1.45M)

I'd rather have it baked into the textures. The realtime stuff only looks good in certain conditions and the haloing is ugly as fuck.
>You're just another contrarian nitpicking stupid shit
I just care about quality. You never have and you never will and that's so incredibly sad.

Damn FF7 has seen better days...

Attached: you cant be fucking serious.jpg (1024x768, 307.66K)

Nani!? He's fast!

>TAA ghosting
>AO ghosting
>shadow fade in
>raytracing accumulation
modern games using time as a crutch was a serious mistake

Attached: look at the bike's shadow.jpg (2560x1440, 2.9M)

>using FXAA

Attached: 859af748d1eed0d67d5801a6df188a89.jpg (736x849, 59.4K)

>No devs keep pushing this notion that MSAA can't work with deferred rendering
>This has been untrue since 2012, when MSAA was successfully achieved
>Fucking WoW of all things was one of the first games to (re)implement MSAA on DirectX 11

I had TAA on for Jurassic World Evolution 2 when I heard it was the best AA option. But then everything started smudging and looking like the building I just placed was the Flash.

Why does it do that?

>I'd rather have it baked into the textures.
Fucking this. I hate when you're in an area with bad lighting in a modern game and the character models turn to complete shit cause they have very little fake lighting drawn into the texture

Attached: 1649098885616.jpg (460x540, 119.78K)

Based, you're right

>set render resolution to 1.5x ~ 2.0x
>turn off any AA
that simple
don't care my graphics card can handle it

Someone should compile a list of all games that use horrible AA as a effect that puts together the hackjob of the graphics programmer, I will use supersampling or nothing anything else sucks.

>game was designed around TAA being on and the lighting breaks when it's off
Fucking RDR2

yeah, he should be bald like every character in 2008

>They did not design around blurry tvs
Correct, they designed them around blurry cables.

Attached: Earthworm+Jim_001.png (1280x480, 205.01K)

TAA is not blurring, it is a very jank way to draw the picture in a higher resolution and then downscale it so you get more details (which is why the hair looks better).
The REAL problem of the technique is the ghosting.
SSAA (the golden standard for anti aliasing) do shit by drawing several pixels per real pixel and taking an average.
TAA tries to pull it off by drawing each frame with a small sub pixel offset and then combining it with the previous frame, but first deforming the previous frame to look like the current one.
If the picture is completely still you get the same result as SSAA, because you end up averaging all the subpixel offsets until getting a nice anti aliased pic.
But the deformation of the last frame is not perfect and you get shit like picture related or worse.

Attached: 7qv6rf9w9u821.jpg (640x854, 63.77K)

>absolute barebones
>companies actually have to innovate
>the ones that banked their future on monetisation scams literally die from a lack of imagination
Only way this doesn't happen is if they lobby for yet more corporate welfare and get it

>if
lmao, user-kun, simply lmao

>don't care my graphics card can handle it
Based

Attached: SuperSampleChad.jpg (10000x10000, 3.67M)