Reminder. By official unit sales, Dragon Quest XI outsold Final Fantasy VII remake. As well as Doom and Animal Crossing...

Reminder. By official unit sales, Dragon Quest XI outsold Final Fantasy VII remake. As well as Doom and Animal Crossing. We don't have digital sales. But since Square keeps gimping itself with exclusivity deals and won't put FFVII on the bigger platforms, it probably hasn't done that well.

Unit sales aren't everything. But it's still really sad that the remake of "the most popular game of the most popular series" is being outsold by a game that "no one outside of Japan likes." It also puts into question if people truly prefer action combat and CGI realism over turn based combat and anime graphics.

Attached: 1539304711840.jpg (2048x1152, 623.32K)

>Unit sales aren't everything. But it's still really sad that the remake of "the most popular game of the most popular series" is being outsold
That's what you get when you make unfinished games on "TEMPORARY EXCLUSIVES" bullcrap

In what world did DQ XI sell 38 million copies?

I mean, i dropped DQX11 because it was insanely boring,
Meanwhile i finished FFVII remake in 3 days because i couldnt stop playing

Go figure.

>In what world did DQ XI sell 38 million copies?
In what world did FFVII Remake sell that many?

If you compare the two so many things speak against FF7 "remake".

FF7R:
-cut up into pieces scam with no end in sight
-exclusivity on both playstation and epic
-completely changes the originals gameplay
-just a remake and not an original game
-despite that cant even properly stick to remaking the game
Its a schizophrenic mess that exploits the customers and is part of several shady deals.

Meanwhile DQ11:
-finished game
-actual new game
-available on every platform without shitty delays, even xbox and switch
-delivers you EXACTLY what it promises
-doesnt shit on what defined the series

FF7R is a fucking terrible deal in comparison. I'd call it a disaster. If it wasnt literally the most requested remake ever it wouldnt have sold at all.
SE has no respect for FF even though its what put Square on the map.
Meanwhile DQ games actually got way more attention over the recent years by actually getting proper localizations.

Attached: 1629930864398.png (326x329, 196.13K)

I agree with almost everything you said. But the big thing hurting Dragon Quest has been the localizations it's getting. Dragon Quest XI being one of the worst. If anything, Dragon Quest XI (and other games like Trials of Mana) are selling in spite of the shitty accents and limited print runs they get.

I dont think such localizations hurt much, even if many dislike them.
XB2 also sold a lot for what it is despite giving people inhuman welsh accents.

I finished DQXI in 2-3 weeks, meanwhile I finished FFVII remake in 1 week.
Had roughly 3 times the amount of playtime on DQ, and replayed the game again on Switch, meanwhile I deleted FFVII remake off my PS4 and will never touch it again.

>WHy is the new game of a very stale franchise stays stale, and why is the new game of a very different and unpredictable is actually unpredictable and different
Uh huh

oh my god go back to school and take some english classes you fucking mexican

>Why is the new game of a very stale franchise stale, and why is the new game of a very different and unpredictable franchise actually unpredictable and different
There, better for you, dumbass inbred?

God for you. DQ in general is a snorefest. I wish the music didnt put me to sleep, the artstyle wasnt insanely repetitive or the combat was something worth noting.
I guess DQ really is the beta cuck whos always there for the angry slut that got rejected by the FF chad who refuses to stay stale.

DQ games have been better than FF for quite a while now. I think Enix cares about them more.

Also I never played FF7 because I had an N64

In the world of schizo FFag's mind

Reread the post. He said that Animal Crossing and Doom outsold FF7R, and what's notable is that both these games came out in the same year as FF7R. FF7R2 will sell worse because 7R had the benefit of being released in Covid years.

It's funny how every time someone tries to rag on Dragon Quest, they prove they haven't even played them. By repeating the same 20 year old cliches. It would be like if people claimed they didn't like Final Fantasy by citing all the flaws FFIV has. Oh wait...many of those are applicable to the modern FF games.

Attached: 1466117791963.jpg (550x909, 166.69K)

You got that backwards.
DQ is the chad series that continues to deliver, always staying true to itself, not giving a fuck.
FF is the virgin fuckup that can't make up it's mind, and is always chasing half baked new combat ideas because they're scared of looking boring.

Dunno why you mention FFIV exactly, but yes, actually FFIV is so vanilla and boring that it is one of my least favorites.
Funny, it is actually very close to what a DQ game is.

OH SHIT! RUN! ANDROID 17 IS RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

When FF releases a new turn based game, you'll come back crawling.
When a FF didnt release a turn based game, you'll go back crying to the DQ cuck to scratch the itch.

It is that simple. DQ the second, safest choice. The safe income for Square enix. Just keep making the same game, fans dont mind. It is safe income.
Meanwhile FF is where they push their limits and try to achieve something worth noting.

But did they ever add the good graphics back to DQ11?
Or is the PC version still stuck with the shitty switch graphics?

Attached: sample_d405e6d547a2cbf985a0f1730c237ac6.jpg (850x1063, 251.51K)

>Funny, it is actually very close to what a DQ game is.
The closest games FF ever made to Dragon Quest in gameplay, tone or pacing would be FFIII and V. Which are the total opposite of FFIV.

Attached: 1433314453529.jpg (2000x1718, 2.77M)

>The safe income for Square enix. Just keep making the same game
>fans threw a fit that Dragon Quest IX was going too far away from the series formula of turn based
>Dragon Quest X made an MMO
>Dragon Quest XI made a linear, story driven game closer to FFXII than any previous DQ game and both DQ and FF fans loved it
>all the spinoff games are in totally different genres
Go ahead and keep proving you never even played the games.

now its just retarded.

>>fans threw a fit that Dragon Quest IX was going too far away from the series formula of turn based
Kek DQ fans are actually worse than i thought

>DQbros are so based that they refused to let SE turn them into shitty action RPGs like nu-FF
Extremely based, and they made the right choice. There has never been a good action FF. There will never be a good action FF.

>inhuman welsh
that's redundant

DQ fans are still getting games they enjoy, while FF has been a trash fire for over a decade now.
Thats the consequence of not telling SE to fuck off when they tried to shift genres for no reason.

Attached: 1639148398761.png (794x938, 343.38K)

Should I play Dragon Quest if I've never played anything like it, it's extremely out of my comfort zone

>gets proven wrong
>w-well DQ fans suck! heh, I sure told them off

I weep for the day Yuji Horii dies and SE proceeds to absolutely rape the IP

You can just play one and it is basically the same as the rest, so in that sense DQ is a very time efficient franchise.

>When FF releases a new turn based game
They have not released a fucking turn based FF since X-2, what the fuck are you smoking?
>you'll come back crawling.
No, because between XV, VIIR, and SoP, its such a mismanaged shitshow of a series that I've resolved to just never waste money on it again. I didn't even play SoP, VIIR was far more than enough to kill any interest I will ever have in FF again. Their turn based games were also very mixed in quality, half of them were good, the other half is shit.

DQ provides much higher quality games. Its why despite having a head start over FF, there's only 11 numbered games while FF is at 15. FF shits out garbage most of the time and DQ takes its time to provide pure excellence. FF was the retarded whore that I kept on hoping would get better, but I just could not find much enjoyment in half of the games from them, and then every new release I was trying had the same caveat of being kinda fun but overall having too many flaws to drag down the experience, but then I switched to DQ and couldn't believe that every fucking game after II was really good, I got so hyped for XI, I was thinking of it as the second coming of christ, and good fucking lord was it. It was the first time I've ever been able to get as hyped as I wanted about a game and for it to pay off 100%, not a single ounce of disappointment anywhere.

>When FF releases a new turn based game
Never, out if sixteen mainlines only four are turn based, and the last turn based FF was over twenty years ago, nobody cares about FF, let alone its perpetually garbage gameplay, it's a franchise that sells purely on graphics and brand name, and always changes in a desperate effort to keep some sort of relevance.
DQ doesn't have this issue, because it has an actual identity, people buy DQ because it's fucking DQ, not some discount witcher/dmc clone with another franchise's logo slapped on it, even the FF mobage are dying left and right while DQ Tact and SaGa RE:U are carrying the mobile division, and half of the company too thanks to their massive revenue.
Hell the most successful FF is a shitty WoW clone that makes more money through ERP room and its other IP collaborations than the references to the series it's supposed to be part of, and the second most successful is the old Everquest clone that is again, a FF in name only.

Attached: 1641830131516.jpg (1042x674, 89.24K)

If you've never played a turn based JRPG then there are a hell of a lot of worse places to start than Dragon Quest. XI is a perfect starting point but if you like old games then play DQIII or DQV. Or be honest and start with DQI.

>I got so hyped for XI, I was thinking of it as the second coming of christ, and good fucking lord was it. It was the first time I've ever been able to get as hyped as I wanted about a game and for it to pay off 100%, not a single ounce of disappointment anywhere.
lol

Extremely based opinion

>because it has an actual identity
Thank god they are actually changing stuff in DQXII, maybe now ill bother with this shit franchise.

Final Fantasy is honestly dead at this point. No one cares. The magic is completely gone.

Attached: 1628627143132.jpg (711x718, 63.73K)

Yes, I'm sure you're very jealous of the pure bliss I got to experience with DQXI. God fucking knows FF fans can never know that feeling again.

Depends on what you consider your comfort zone. And despite the meme, not all DQ games are the same. Many FF fans like Dragon Quest V and XI because of the focus on linear story and the themes it uses. Other games are more exploration/open focused like DQIII, IV and VIII. Dragon Quest I and II are a good way to play old CRPG style games without going back to the very oldest Ultima and Wizardry games, which are harder to adjust to. And there's a bunch of spin off games that don't even use turn based combat. Ranging from action brawlers to roguelikes to minecraft clones.

Attached: 1444781184458.jpg (800x800, 564.13K)

How FF has fallen. The only people who defend it now are shitty baiter contrarians.

Why is it so boring? I don't get the appeal of the series, maybe it's from a different time.

Attached: 1635704655492.gif (700x500, 14.58K)

FF7 Remake is dumb, but DQXI was also liquid shit. I regret wasting 70h on it.

This. KH1 and KH2 were flukes. KH BBS plays like shit, and KH3D was worse. KH3 sucks. FFXV sucks. FFVIIR sucks. FFXVI will suck since it looks like a one-man action game.
DQ is better than nu-FF.
Persona is better than nu-FF.
SaGa is better than nu-FF.
MH Stories is better than nu-FF.
Trianglr Strategy is better than nu-FF.
SMT is better than nu-FF.
And Squeenix shills keep posting that Cloud vs Rufus Shinra webm from OG FFVII despite the fact that Shinra is an early game 1v1 encounter in that game. They keep expecting me to believe that action is somehow better even SE hasn't made a good inhouse action RPG since 2005. And from 2005 to 2022, the number of quality turn BASED games trumps the number of decent action RPGs from SE. And even if we did allow NEO TWEWY and Nier Automata, that's only 2 games.

Toriyama girls are cute

>It also puts into question if people truly prefer action combat and CGI realism over turn based combat and anime graphics.
They don't.

I mean, no matter how much you cry about it.
DQ will always be known for being just a stale franchise. FF will stay in spotlight.

When you go to /vrpg/, you see people talking about the Trails series, Etrian Odyssey, and Atelier more than FF or DQ. It's over.

Dragon Quest games are a slow burn. Similar to the (good) Zelda games, they have a long prologue where you grow attached to characters and explore the world. Then they start throwing the drama and action at you 30-40 hours in. When you care about the characters and world. In other words, worldbuilding. If you don't like the worldbuilding though, you probably won't like the game even when the action/drama comes.

Final Fantasy does everything opposite. Tons of action and set pieces right at the start. Then develops the characters and world in the middle of the game (if at all). But is this really an inferior method? Not really. It just appeals to different people.

Dragon Quest is a long, slow burn fantasy TV show while Final Fantasy is a flashy action movie.

>FF will stay in spotlight
The spotlight of shit and an example of how to kill a franchise. The overhyped FFVII remake was forgotten like a fart in the wind. All that hype and build up throughout the course of many years, and it got stomped by Doom, Animal Crossing, and even Ghosts of Tsushima.

Only in the west, meanwhile in Japan DQ is the king of RPGs.

It was a different time. It is just a franchise thats trying to give back old turn based shit to new times. But since it sucks, people got over it.

FF is in the spotlight the way Assassin's Creed is in the spotlight: as an overproduced artless franchise that people are honestly sick of.

glad to hear, the game is fucking kino. Make sure you play the original PC version (PS4 port) instead of the "definitive edition" (switch port), or you're retarded

Attached: 20211120143117_1.jpg (3840x2160, 2.17M)

>DQ will always be known for being just a stale franchise. FF will stay in spotlight.
It's been the opposite in Japan for 30 years. And Dragon Quest is only growing in popularity in the west now. With the last two games seeing a 300% increase in sales. While Final Fantasy has been losing sales (and hype) since the PS2. Though FFXV saw it's largest upturn in sales. Yet the biggest drop in relevancy after its release.

Attached: haha_sena.gif (500x282, 282.83K)

man the original release looks so much better, S looks like dogshit

I don't give a shit about graphics whores mode.

posting a few screenshots i had to stop and take while playing, it's probably the most gorgeous jrpg aside for FF games

Attached: 20211108152500_1.jpg (3840x2160, 2.03M)

I didn't buy FF7R because it's part 1 of a series and I don't want to wait for the next games. I'll buy them all in a collection down the road.

is that tales of arise?
atelier riza?
That dragon ball mmo?

Oh man all those games look the same

>muh graphix
Or you can just play the definitive edition with 40 hours of extra content and the graphics patch. Not that you even need it because the Switch version still looks good.

Attached: 1501269515319.png (487x476, 177.56K)

>Though FFXV saw it's largest upturn in sales
I swear that game had to be a net loss in money. I refuse to believe there's any way that it could have sold enough to make up for the billions of yen spent to hype it up.

it's too bad Steam and nearly everywhere else delisted the superior, original version. But you can still find cd keys for sale, on amazon or cdkeys.com etc.

Incidentally, original version also costs more than the "definitive edition". Care to guess why?

Attached: 20211109002300_1.jpg (3840x2160, 2.42M)

All of those franchises have always been better than FF at any point in time, even SaGa 1 sold more than FF1 and 2, despite being a brand new IP on the fucking gameboy, the only reason it didn't take over was internal meddling by the suits that purposedly shut it down by crippling it in both the west and the domestic maket in an effort to make FF bigger
FF never managed to outsell DQ in Japan, only the west cared about it, mostly because there was no real JRPG market for decades, and nowadays it's steadily losing ground, it's a zombie franchise desperately trying to reinvent itself with every game, you know shit is bad when even the fandom is completely divided and constantly infighting because every game panders to different people instead of making different people come together to enjoy it for what it has to offer.

>Incidentally, original version also costs more than the "definitive edition". Care to guess why?
Because you can't buy it anymore.

OP here. And I'm the same. I'm not even opposed to FFVII remake. I just won't buy an incomplete game. I'll get it when it's complete in the year 2035.

Don't really like the switch from anime to realism though. Should have gone with anime designs like DQXI did. And this comes from someone who isn't the biggest fan of DQXI. Even if I don't like the linear story, the graphics are great. I mean, when Jade looks more like what Tifa should look like than the remodeled Tifa does...yeah.

Attached: 1569637564094.jpg (1920x1080, 321.88K)

Not him but it is actually a pretty drastic difference. We shouldn't be running defense for Square not releasing this game properly in an actual definitive version.

>switch owners and definitive edition saps seething ITT

Attached: 1641081498148.gif (480x320, 677.56K)

>desperately trying to reinvent itself with every game
lol
how fucking stupid are you

>posts a shot from the switch port, from a cutscene
aiiiiiiiiiyyy I kneel

Attached: 1648322585349.png (225x225, 76.2K)

Definitive edition has massive QoL even if it was a 3ds port or even ngage who the fuck cares the game plays better

The image was a smug reaction shot mocking you. Not an example of the graphics. Especially since that image was made years before the Switch version existed. It was from the PS4 release.

looks like my work here is done, I'll be on my way
sorry for ruining your thread OP

Attached: 1644887079049.jpg (2223x2000, 1.57M)

trials of mana: ryza looking pretty good

Square explained why they didn't. Because they had to completely remake the game from the ground up for the Switch release. That means that 40 hours of extra content would have had to be remade a third time into the old engine, just to reverse port it back to PS4 and PC. Could they have done it? Sure. But Square management looked at this game and said "we've already made this game in four unique engines and it's already surpassed our sales expectations. We're not going to spend money on a fifth version. Just port it."

XI wasn't the second coming of Christ. It was just decent and respected its roots which is way more than can be said for any modern FF. I found the game itself to be one of the weaker DQ games overall.

While FF7R didn't bomb, it way underperformed what it should've done. A remake of FF7 had been hyped up and heavily anticipated for well over a decade. It routinely topped polls for "most anticipated game" through the years. Square Enix kept promising a FF7 remake to boost share prices in the 2000s, as well as made tech demos with it a few times. Also, the game released EXACTLY when COVID lockdowns started, so everyone was doing nothing. It reviewed well and had a great demo, too.

Even though I don't care for the game, it should've sold several times more than it did. Either they turned off way too many people by splitting it up into several games, or Square turned off plenty of potential fans through poor games in the series, and Final Fantasy doesn't really mean much as an IP anymore.

it's my favorite, I liked it more than 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9

my top 3 are 11, 7, then 8

The "4 niggas in a row" genre will never die. Square Enix just needs to embrace it again for their FF games or give us better Bravely Default games

To be fair, Final Fantasy XIV is respecting the roots of the series. Most of the games plots are just adaptations of previous FF games. And just as melodramatic/linear. If it was a single player game rather than an MMO, people would probably be calling it the best FF game ever.

And I'm not defending FFXIV. I'm just saying it does all the things people claim they want in an FF game. Perhaps FF fans don't actually know what they want. Whenever we really try to discuss it on Yea Forums or otherwise, people start throwing out arbitrary "feelings" of what they want. Or cite older games. So it seems to be more of a tone/design thing. Which is why it's so funny Final Fantasy developers are working as hard as they can to do the exact opposite of old FF games in tone and visual design.

they fucked up bigly only putting it on ps4 and the fucking epic store

The mainline DQ games haven't strayed far from the original formula. (I'm not counting the spinoffs here.) If you like the world of DQ you know to expect cute slimes and other recurring monsters, traditional turn-based combat, and an emphasis on the story in a fantasy setting.

FF changed the formula multiple times, most notably how different VII was from VI, with a heavier emphasis on cutscenes and flashy sequences. Also, FF was originally a mix of sci-fi and fantasy, and FF has moved further away from fantasy and focused more o sci-fi. FF XII introduced the rather controversial hybrid turn-based/real time combat system, then XV just didn't feel like a FF game at all.

I have enjoyed both series and have played and beaten all non-MMO games in both series except FFXV (it just feels like MTV Road Rules in a pseudo-fantasy setting).

I feel like FF peaked at VI. That's not to say I didn't enjoy later FFs. But i feel like DQ is better because it doesn't fuck with the tried and true formula too much.

But this is just how I feel and y'all can feel however you like. Not everyone enjoys the same games. But right now, I'm far more excited for a DQXII than I am for a FFXVI.

>rerelease Bravely Default 1 in 1080p and with 75% of the superfluous dialogue cut out
Literally would be their best game in decades if they did this. Dragon Quest XI would also be better if they cut down the amount of dialogue (and accents).

Attached: 1645402271419.jpg (710x888, 162.47K)

FF doesnt need to degrade itself like that.
They should just keep using DQ as the autists magnet.