Happy birthday Star Fox Zero

Happy birthday Star Fox Zero.
Now when's the Deluxe version coming to Switch?

Attached: Zero Box Art.jpg (1060x1500, 366.94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

usgamer.net/articles/star-fox-zero-in-hindsight-the-developers-on-the-controls-the-decision-not-to-include-multiplayer-and-the-future-of-star-fox
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Zero is really meaningless in the grand scheme of things. It only added the fact that Andross has teleportation. Everything else is really the same, even things that happen in the future didn't get retconned like Krystal, as Sauria is mentioned.

Zero's an opportunity for a clean slate timeline. Build off of it, make a cohesive story across games. There's a lot you can do with Star Fox despite Zero's reputation.

Attached: Zero Art.jpg (500x744, 91.61K)

Is Star Fox 64 the only truly great Star Fox game?

> It only added the fact that Andross has teleportation

Lel it didn't even add that, that was actually first mentioned in the SNES manual, that he was fucking around with dangerous teleportation devices, Zero just brought it to the forefront

Star Fox: Assault's great too. Maybe that's what Namco is working on bringing back.

Attached: Assault Promo.jpg (867x678, 151.24K)

How do you fix the controls?

I just can't see Nintendo porting zero.Fixing the game would actually remove content (No co-op and no guard) and the game was already bare-bones as it was.Which means to compensate they would have to add in more content. Is Nintendo willing to do that for a game that sold like shit, got mediocre scores and was reviled by the fans?

Never going to happen. Give it traditional controls and all you have is the most barebones entry in the series. I would imagine Nintendo is happy to let the general concensus be so centered on the controls that few realize there isn't even a game worth saving under there.

garbage series that genuinely deserves death
bring back sin and punishment or kid icarus and let shitfox stay buried in the ground
also zero was hot garbage

It definitely would be a task to port the Zero, but it'd be cheaper than making an all-new game.
Do you take the cheaper option and take the risk to give a lambasted game a second chance?
Or do you take a bigger risk and go bigger with an all new game?

Attached: Motion Controls.png (897x549, 249.28K)

>bring back sin and punishment or kid icarus

Who would do those, though? Treasure is basically dead, and Sakurai doesn't want to do another Kid Icarus so even if we got one, it wouldn't be anything like Uprising most likely.

>Or do you take a bigger risk and go bigger with an all new game?

Yes make a game that wasn't built as tech-demo for a failed console and is the equivalent of Metroid Other M. I mean ffs zero is one of the few mainline Nintendo games that actually lost Nintendo money.

Miyamoto even admitted shit wasn't even originally a Star Fox game, it's just a bunch of random Wii U tech demos that then had Star Fox slapped on it.

Attached: 16b204e7998a99c3b3fe5f7fa78752e0.png (778x375, 165.07K)

Playing through this game "on hard mode" with the nerfed black arwing (via Falco amiibo) was kino af.

what did everyone hate about this game? was it just the control scheme? honestly curious
hell yes, i played so much assault back in the day, both single and multiplayer. i like it better than 64, but i know that's a hot take or whatever

Sauria isn't mentioned in Zero, it's mentioned in the animated short.

I love them so much

Attached: FOjD9IIaAAEM9x-.jpg (1962x2800, 552.82K)

This is how they start designing games. They attach a property after establishing the mechanical framework. There's a three part interview on the Nintendo UK site. Miyamoto mentioned something along the lines of realizing the idea he had in mind meant he'd need to make a new Star Fox game, which was the property that best suited the dual view concept.

Combination of the controls, most of the content just rehashing levels from 64, and the plot being yet another retelling of the Lylat Wars.

What Star Fox needs is a Fire Emblem Awakening moment. One last big blow-out attempt to make Star Fox into a household name. Go balls to the wall.

Attached: Team Star Fox.png (1920x997, 2.54M)

Nintendo just needs to develop a crossover with metroid and reveal falco ain't just an anthro bird and that he's a member of the chozo or something. Make wold form a pact with the space pirates or something. Maybe fox can influence samus M.O. to be use less lethal force etc.

That or just rurn the series into a dating sim.

I think for a fair portion, any opinion on the game at all is band-wagoning. Not a lot of people seem to have gotten it, and of those who have, the reception averages out closer to the decent side of things.
I wouldn't hold out for a Deluxe version. A lot of the design doesn't just leverage the new control scheme but also the second view, which would need to be toggled back and forth for a single screen game. They're better off making a sequel built for a single screen in mind, even if they'd need a toggle in that case as well.

*make wolf form a temporary pact* with the space pirates

Zero's even worse when you really think about it
So we all know about the controls and how most people hated them but here's the fucking thing
The dual screen system bogged down the graphics and prevented competitive multiplayer
>Competitive multiplayer was a surprise omission from Star Fox Zero. Not surprisingly, the new controls were what caused Platinum and Nintendo to shy away from multiplayer. "I think the main thing we were really focused on, since this did start on that two-screen experiment, is on this being a one-player game. That being said, we did include a co-op mode that you can play locally with the TV and gamepad, where maybe you give the person who feels more comfortable piloting the ship the pro controller, then maybe the less skilled player... maybe the younger player can have the gamepad and enjoy the soothing elements of the game.

usgamer.net/articles/star-fox-zero-in-hindsight-the-developers-on-the-controls-the-decision-not-to-include-multiplayer-and-the-future-of-star-fox

So you have this mindset that pretty much risked it all, focused the entire development on a risky control scheme for a series that hasn't had a successful game in about a decade and sacrificed visuals and multiplayer for something that was hyped up as innovation.
Only for the system after it to be incompatible with the control scheme due to portability so even if was good, it wouldn't be continued unless you force in some mandatory peripheral for it, which would be fucking asinine since it'd only increase the price of a new installment for a series that's been on decline for a control scheme barely anyone actually liked and gave up more than it gained

Or just go the mobile game gacha route. Do a Arknights thing and make it a furry operator tower defense and make bank as people try and roll a 6 star Krystal or something.

The levels weren't rehashes. Of the ones that make a return, none share the same design as preceding entries where those locations were used.

please do not say such awful things

No company can ignore the power of coom, furry coom, and whales. Mobile may be a cursed word but it's a true one these days.

i long for a world where the cute animal characters can just be that and not some coomer's object of perversion :(

Honestly now that I think about we have even less then pikmin fans on the switch even they got a port and pikmin bloom

Attached: ri2643ri3jc81.png (800x400, 498.87K)

The levels aren't literal recreations, no, but in terms of theme and aesthetic, they hit all of the exact same beats.
>Corneria tutorial
>Zoness stealth mission where you evade spotlights and find Katt
>Titania Landmaster mission where you rescue wingmate
>Fichina all-range level and fight against Star Wolf
>the asteroid field (twice)
>Great Fox is ambushed by missiles and swarms of enemies
>Venom finale, final fight against all of Star Wolf and then flying through corridors
The only planet with a substantial overhaul was Fortuna, which technically never existed in 64.

So, if we were to get a new Star Fox game, who'd actually make it?
>Nintendo
EPD teams 8 and 10 could be working on something. Both their current projects are unknown if I'm not mistaken.
>Next Level Games
I'd love to see them handle Star Fox, but they've got their hands full with Mario Strikers.
>Retro Studios
Once rumored to be working on Star Fox Grand Prix, but that was leak bait. Busy with Metroid Prime 4, so unlikely.
>MercurySteam
Big potential. Metroid Dread was a hit, and they made Scrapland, which has some similar gameplay elements to Star Fox.
>Koei Tecmo
Rumors are they once pitched Star Fox Warriors, but got shot down. Currently working with Fire Emblem again, but maybe after?
>PlatinumGames
Helped make Star Fox Zero, and the staff have said they're up for bringing it to Switch. They do have a lot of projects though.
>Ubisoft
They've also worked with Star Fox before in Starlink: Battle for Atlas, but are currently working on the new Mario + Rabbids.
>Bandai Namco
Made Star Fox: Assault, plus rumored to be developing a remake of a Nintendo 3D action game. Hmm...
>Q-Games
Dylan Cuthbert's crew has worked with Star Fox plenty of times in the past, but they've been busy with The Tomorrow Children.
>Forever Entertainment
Panzer Dragoon devs, and In 2021 they made a publishing/funding deal with Nintendo. Maybe?

Attached: UltFoxThink.png (225x225, 25.89K)

The control scheme isn't just a throwaway development, as Miyamoto mentions thinking it can be approximated with a single screen when asked about future entries.
>gave up more than it gained
The control scheme gave us access to independent maneuvering of the Arwing and aiming, increasing versatility. It also gave us a means of engaging enemies in our periphery in on-rails segments in combination with the secondary view which further enhanced All-Range mode segments by increasing spatial awareness. Having a view centered to the guns actually allows for much larger scale than we've seen in prior entries without resorting to hitscan or artificial aim mechanisms. Bosses leverage Target View to allow for designs that wouldn't be fair without broader visibility of what's going on. I think he controls and second perspective end up giving the game a ton more than people realize or expect. It's just that the game has a steep learning curve. I also think it would have benefited from more difficult All Range mode missions to really take advantage of the feature set and give those who've mastered it something to go further with.

Attached: Zero.png (678x411, 40.18K)

Hopefully soon, just so it flops a second time.
Zero has a lot of flaws besides the controls and I don't understand why people would think a Switch port would turn it into a masterpiece. It would be a 7/10 at best. Why don't you ask Nintendo to make something new instead, you fucking 64FAGGOOOOOTS.

Attached: 1579189924837.jpg (684x496, 78.26K)

Zero doesn't deserve a port. Its a bad game. Starfox is honestly mostly shit, its got like 2 good games despite being given tons of chances. F Zero deserved the chances Star Fox got

None of these play anything like the predecessors. Yes, there are similar visual elements and stated objectives, but the actual layouts, set-pieces, and level design are entirely different. They aren't rehashed.

Out of all those Ubisoft has shown that they have some potential with there Atlas game. Problem is they gotta break the formula and the only way I'm thinking is a Ace Combat like like game sooo Bandai Namco as a solid 2nd?

Star Fox has four good games, actually.
1, 2, 64, and Assault
Miyamoto's goal for Star Fox was to turn it into a household name. Ironically, Pikmin became a household name overnight while Star Fox is more unpopular than it's ever been. Weird how that worked out, given how they're both Miyamoto passion projects.
As fun as an Assault port would be, I'd rather see Bamco develop Kid Icarus Uprising. It does Assault's shtick a lot better in my opinion.

Ubisoft Toronto is working on splintercell currently and I cant see them ever touching starfox after starlink failed.

Well shit on a shingle. Because a Ace Combat is one of the dreams and I think good paths. Then you got the JRPG like Xenoblade. Then the bad but realistic ending: mobile game. Those are the three options for SF.

Assault was the wet turn of the franchise

Rip

Attached: ac8HYZu.jpg (1500x188, 69.68K)

If a star-fox game was being developed right now.It would most likely be bandai namco of course that's if Nintendo didn't throw star fox into the gutter

To be fair, I don't see Samus on here either despite Metroid exploding in popularity. Was this made before Dread?

Nintendo really doesnt care for sci fi huh

>bonus game included

Attached: 1648444332646.jpg (250x236, 4.16K)

I didn't like how the aiming felt on Guard, so I didn't actually manage to play much. Might get back to it again and see if it's a good time eventually.

>F-Zero is dead due to being overshadowed by Mario Kart
>Codename Steam was advertised so poorly that it was DOA
>Star Fox is dead thanks to mismanagement, small chance of it being replaced entirely by Kid Icarus in the near future
>Fossil Fighters is dead because they tried to shoehorn a car gimmick into it and the fans hated it
>Chibi-Robo
Their only two sci-fi games left at this point are Metroid and Pikmin, and even then, Pikmin barely counts.

Attached: 1640236214547.jpg (320x240, 24.39K)

Here are the games Nintendo prioritize the most (Outside 2nd party franchises like Fe and Kirby)

Attached: ItsJoever.png (1245x262, 13.89K)

>Donkey Kong
Could've fucking fooled me. We haven't gotten anything new out of DK since Tropical Freeze.

They are getting a theme park and movie in the future and probably a game soon if leaks are to be believe

The SNES one is the only good one.

They should just go balls to the wall and make a Star Fox/F-Zero crossover game already. Stop cockteasing the fans with shit like pic related. Just give the two franchises closure with a weird sci-fi mindfuck and let them die in peace.

Attached: james mccloud.jpg (1280x720, 124.85K)

God, Codename Steam was so good.
It has one of those main themes you just can't help but sing along with.
My team was usually Fox, Califia, Tiger Lilly, and then whoever else, either main character man or the Tin Man.

Yes, agreed.

Attached: Star Fox.png (2765x705, 1.02M)

Command was good.
It was basically 2 if it was a complete game.

Attached: Star Wolf.png (256x192, 28.8K)

So would you prefer if a future Star Fox continues it’s plot after Assault or after Zero and introduce all new characters ignoring anything from Adventures and onward?

Yeah that's a hard nope from me dog.

Attached: Falco Coffee.png (212x250, 15.96K)

Would YOU buy a remake of Star Fox: Assault?
If not, what could they do, add, or improve on to make you more likely to try it?
Genuine question. I'd prefer a new game, but I'd be down if they expanded the multiplayer and made it online.

Attached: Assault Promo 2.jpg (1600x800, 247.99K)

>after Zero and introduce all new characters

Honestly sounds the more interesting option, could help to expand better the lore and factions of Lylat

Assault wasn't good

I genuinely like Assault despite its flaws, it doesn't deserve the hate it gets. Out of every SF game thus far, it has the best multiplayer, best voice actors, best character designs, best story, and best villain. A few minor tweeks to the game would go a long way.
>Make the blaster stronger
>Make the Arwings faster, returning arwing tilting
>Remove Sauria from the game completely
It would be an 8/10 game overnight.

Why?

Yes it was.

>it’s plot after Assault

Desu I never understood why people always acted like Command is a total narrative dead end for the series.

Like yeah yeah, there's lots of weird meme endings like Fox and Falco becoming G-Zero pilots or Krystal becoming Krazoa but there's literally two endings where the day is saved, Fox and Krystal make up and reunite, and the status quo is restored.

>Once again, Fox and his friends have saved the Lylat system. But this time, something is different. Fox has finally realized the true value of friendship... and love. Fox and his friends head for Aquas in order to meet Amanda, Slippy's fiancee. Amanda has come to a life-changing decision. She is going to join team Star Fox and fly alongside her love... With the support of her new colleagues, she will soar across the galaxy and get into all manner of adventures along the way! Thanks to team Star Fox, Venom has changed. The oceans are warm and life-bearing, and the climate mild. Dash, grandson of Andross and Venom's new steward, strives to build a brave new empire on Venom, with himself at its pinnacle.

>With the battle over and the day won, the entire team chips in to prepare a huge celebratory feast. Everyone stays up eating and drinking and telling stories until long into the night. Peppy and Lucy slip away to reminisce about Vivian Hare, the wife and mother they lost to illness many years ago. Bringing up memories both joyful and bittersweet, father and daughter sit and talk until the morning light. And Krystal and Fox, reunited after so long, are finally able to speak of their true feelings for each other. With new hope for the future, and a pledge of eternal love from Fox, Krystal decides to rejoin team Star Fox.

Both pretty much end the same exact way, minus one of them having Amanda join the team. Krystal rejoins Star Fox and everyone's ready for new adventures, it could easily be a jumping point for a new game if they actually bothered.

Attached: ending5Part3.png (256x192, 33.08K)

Command is less complete than 2 user, 2 has actual levels to navigate and shit to do besides flying around in circles shooting at things or spinning through rings.