Are there any actual downsides to the Deck? For the price, it seems too good to be true

Are there any actual downsides to the Deck? For the price, it seems too good to be true.

Attached: Deck vs Switch 2.webm (768x432, 2.73M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qLYh0_7mj1o
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's not a Vita

you can just emulate all the vita games worth playing

Yeah, losing the fan lottery. Or how about, still not actually being able to buy one despite preordering on day fucking 1?

>losing the fan lottery
I got the "bad" fan, it's really not that bad, people are whining over nothing. My desktop is louder.
>still not actually being able to buy one despite preordering on day fucking 1?
should've been faster kiddo

Linux

Battery life, right?

if you're not playing recent AAA games the battery life is pretty damn good.

it's for me

Attached: 20220124_065503.jpg (2097x1471, 376.19K)

Remember, after buying a 1tb sd contact support about it being corrupt, they never bother asking you to return it and you get a 2nd one free.

does anyone have the retroarch system files correctly setup for ps1, saturn etc? mine come from the emulation wiki and are all horribly misnamed/misplaced and linux is VERY sensitive about lower case shit

Yeah but it's not a Vita, it's a giant slab

It can't play Switch games.

exactly, much more comfortable to hold

Software/OS issues
Other than that nah it's goat

I thought we were supposed to be posting downsides.

Attached: fauxrassic-park.jpg (2144x1204, 148.88K)

What kind of thirdie shithole do you live in that Amazon doesn't verify support claims?

Yeah it doesn't play over half of my library

Personally since I'm gonna swap out the ssd in it, using self tapping screws is kinda wack.

Game compatibility is still not perfect yet

OK

>buying a low-end fake PC for the cost of a mid-end real PC
>"B-BUT YOU CAN TAKE IT ON THE BUS" -t. someone who spent 15 years making fun of ninnytendos for playing games on the bus

>fake PC
what?

>and linux is VERY sensitive about lower case shit
Good news, the filesystem on the steam deck has casefolding. (And yours could too)

a "real" pc for the same price will have worse performance lol

>for the cost of a mid-end real PC
Are you a time traveler from 2011?

>fake pc
explain

Can the Steam Dreck even emulate vita? I honestly doubt it, it can't even emulate switch or Wii U games above 10 fps.

People buying them now are literal retards, Gabe has already announced they are working on a second version that fixes all the issues people are having.

>it can't play games that don't exist
I see Tim's goons aren't getting paid as much as usual.

nothing can emulate vita, vita3k is shit. then again there are no vita games worth emulating so isn't wrong

Having every single thread about it ruined by malding chinks.

the same way a series X is a "fake PC" the steamdeck is just a nintendo switch pretending it's an alienware laptop.

I know you need to play stupid to maintain your fanboy erections but please, keep up.

>mid-end real PC
>for $400

>Switch/Wii U emulation being more strenuous than vita emulation
You what? Also the primary thing holding vita emulation back is that there's all of like, 4 games, anyone would even want. It's a similar situation to xbox emulation.

a $100 office shitbox with a $70 gtx 960 will run games better than your gameboy

>it can't even emulate switch or Wii U games above 10 fps
it can run cemu at 60fps and switch games range from 20-30 (same as switch)

This webm is cringe when you realize that the deck is a dogshit switch emulating device. Its not even on the radar of nintendudes

You're going to have to explain further. What can you do on a "real" PC that you can't do on a deck?

>Are there any actual downsides to the Deck?
Quality control, apparently. There's a fan lottery (you either get a decent one or a jet engine one), all sorts of trackpad issues have been reported, and mine is actually defective (GPU failure) and has to be RMA'd

Also, it's a linux machine which means usability and compatibility are both shit. If you want Windows then you sacrifice even more usability.

>implying windows is more usable than GNU+linux then saying that using windows sacrifices usability
top kek

It's kde, if you can't use that you can't even use windows.

>There's a fan lottery (you either get a decent one or a jet engine one)
>believing r*dditors

Yeah this would be a contradiction in general cases (desktops/laptops), the only reason it isn't the case here is because of the Deck's specialized out-of-the-box software like gamescope and the sleep function.

It's both more usable than windows in the games it can actually run, but less so with the games it can't.

>Q1 rolls around
>Chinks screaming about the fan noise constantly
>Q2 rolls around
>Chinks have to switch over to claiming GPU defects on a fucking iGPU SoC because nobody is replying anymore
Funny.

Attached: 1591147186567.gif (540x540, 278.59K)

You can tweak Gamescope to have it run for like 3 hours on new AAA games

Steps for installing non-Steam games on Windows:
>Double click the installer
Steps for installing non-Steam games with the Deck or any other Linux system:
>Google what exotic compatibility layer is best for the task, install that, set up winetricks, install the game if it lets you, learn about wineprefixes, install the proper wineprefix(es), troubleshoot inevitable issues with the software patchwork you just constructed

>Install wine
>Install DXVK
>Doubleclick exe
Alternatively
>Add installer to steam
>Run installer through proton
>Point Launch location and Target file to the installed exe
>Run gaem
Wow hard :(((

Don't lie please
>it can't even emulate switch or Wii U games above 10 fps.
Why lie?
Nothing that isn't Nintendo slop is on the Ninten"dudes" radar
>use Heroic Launcher
>Download game
>Add non-Steam game to Steam
>Add the artwork if you want

Also
>Multiple Wineprefixes for a single executable
That's not how it works dumb dumb, you don't even NEED multiple wineprefixes, unless something uses something especially exotic.

So all of them are jet engines, then? Because that's the only alternative to what I said there. Mine is a jet engine, so it's a fact that at least some of them are.

Wow small-dick deckies are a cult. I literally have a system that will run a game for a few minutes and then freeze, what is that but a GPU issue? It's the same behavior as either a bad GPU driver (and I've restored to factory settings so it's probably not that) or faulty GPU/memory. Idk, I'm not a nerd.

And yes, the fan screams. Absolutely SCREAMS in situations that draw more than 20w TDP.

I have the so called "bad" fan, and it's fucking fine. You fags whine too much.

>cost of a mid-end real PC
The Steam Deck is $2000?

Yeah, it's the current Valve Kickstarter in a long line of shelved projects and the manufacturing is so anemic they had to stock up units before they finalized the design for a year just to start dripfeeding the sub-million units in the first wave. Between Valve dropping the term "experiment" like its the latest Yea Forums buzzword and the complete lack of coverage beyond techtubers creaming themselves over the specs, does anyone actually think it's going to be more than a niche alternative for chink emulatorboxes? I would love for Valve to step it up and become an actual competitor for handhelds, just have to wait and pray they don't axe it like every other physical device they've produced.

Attached: 1646484087807.webm (332x310, 43.5K)

>Why lie?
It's an exaggeration but he's not far off, I've tried Future Perfect and it can't even emulate that on Dolphin full speed all the time, only like 90% of the time. Kinda pathetic desu, we need a way to park cores so that the remaining ones will clock up for apps that use less than 4 threads (which is the vast majority of them)

>I can't run anything except for a few seconds otherwise it freezes
>If I run something complicated the fan starts screaming
>I'm not a nerd but I know the exact limit of tdp of software running to cause a hardware issue
Did you expect to fool anyone with this

Attached: 2361872368712.jpg (412x204, 6.15K)

The only way it's fine is if you use headphones. Which is a ridiculous standard, a system should be pleasant to listen to with its own built-in speakers.

You can barely fucking hear it with the speakers on, faggot

>the deck is a dogshit switch emulating device.
The Deck runs Switch games better than the Switch.
youtube.com/watch?v=qLYh0_7mj1o

>bus
That's cringe. This shit is made to be played in bed.

Sorry cultist, but what exactly is the argument here? I didn't say any of these things.

My system is both defective in terms of running software, and has a screaming fan. Spot the contradiction, good fucking luck.

Just get a phone controller holder and use the steam link app retard, stop consuming

You can barely fucking hear the game, yes. Kek

based deafbro

>normal listening volume isn't enough to drown out the fan

Attached: 1552987030330.png (416x456, 236.09K)

>Fan screams
>Y-you're deaf that's why! Because you can't hear it is why you can hear how loud it is!
The intelligence of steamdeck shills, impressive.

Not really, no. Especially for the price, its Valve again showing how based they can be and ensuring that it is a full Linux based platform, works damn well with everything (and even if you put Windows on it it has drivers and shit, but its really unnecessary) and is a premium experience on Linux as intended - without any lockdown! They didn't say 'oh well we need to make sure people only use Steam", they said "no, its a full computer install whatever the fuck you want" and know people will CHOOSE to use Steam for many reasons, alongside other apps like itch (which has a FOSS client), Retroarch, some emulators or whatever the hell else.

Hardware is pretty great all things considered and is even getting better - for instance, you can use it as a full on gamepad for playing on PC (wired I know, maybe wireless too?) and hopefully if they're smart a "steam controller 2.0" with Deck like layout and features come. It has similar haptics to DualSense, touchpads AND thumbsticks w/haptic touchpoints on the top of them, paddle buttons on the back and a lot of other features. Not to mention Valve went out of their way to get everyone to support Proton, Linux, and even things like getting companies to get shitty 3rd party anti-cheat compatibility on Linux.

The only downsides aside from ending up with rare crappy hardware glitches (ie the fan issue, which they'll exchange for you if it is too loud etc), is that I WISH they would have put in 8c/16t CPU + a Zen3 CPU core system + the RDNA2 GPU cores. Also FreeSync, but apparently the thing supports FreeSync on external already and the internal screen is capable of FreeSync/adaptivesync as well and if it isn't yet, will be enabled soon - they didn't focus on it at first given its a 60hz display. I kinda wish it had been 1080p and up to 120hz, but I get it, they kept prices down and power consumption. I can only hope they're working on a version 2 on Zen4that users can either trade in for or perhaps even self-upgrade

>impossible to hear the fan with speakers on even 80%
>somehow can't hear the game anyway
either you're deaf or you should get checked for tinnitus

That's a good thing though
>no fucking LR23 buttons
Who designed that turd?

The stars aligned just right with AMD finally getting to a good power budget, and a company with enough cash to do it in high volumes doing it.

>Vita had no gam-

Attached: 1621973111096.jpg (1246x693, 220.71K)

-es worth playing

>asphalt

Attached: 1644389220262.gif (521x421, 3.82M)