Linux GAMING THREAD

linux GAMING THREAD

Attached: linux_PNG13.png (2000x2357, 569.47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=789neTwS9WI
youtu.be/MxF6TFZ3fTQ
tech-docs.system76.com/components/intel/me/README.html
libreboot.org/faq.html#intel
libreboot.org/faq.html#amd
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

fuck whoever thought that retroarch on windows should not be case sensitive while on linux it is

non-existent if you dont have a gpu
can play nfsu2 on windows but i cant on linux.
better intel integrated graphics support for linux my ass

What iGPU?

>linux
>gaming
Why would you do that to yourself?

Attached: article-s047946.jpg (360x360, 18.75K)

Because they are nu-freedom activists that think that proprietary video games are fine, Valve is God, and that companies that place backdoors in their hardware respect your freedom.

hello sirs
currently playing kingdom cum after getting all the achievs in ER

Attached: 1621108311344.png (2560x1080, 553.66K)

intel g33

FF14 doesn't work

Attached: 1632147586706.jpg (706x570, 67.58K)

fucking square
use to work fine through steam now you have to do a bunch of retarded workarounds that i haven't even bothered doing

I put linux gaming on par with console gaming. Sure, it works to some degree, but it's simply inferior to Windows and always will be.

>touhou games still run in pillarboxed screen
>still can't enjoy Iji because sound files are loonix unfriendly
feels bad

Works on my windows machine

works fine on my deck

OpenBSD chads, we fucking won.
youtube.com/watch?v=789neTwS9WI

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 92.42K)

I just wanted an OS that is modern but not Windows 11, I didn't want to go all in on "muh freedoms".

>I just wanted an OS that is modern but not Windows 11
macOS, now with M1 processors.

> can play nfsu2 on windows but i cant on linux.
youtu.be/MxF6TFZ3fTQ

That would be your filesystem actually.

Not him. The Linux shill with the highest reading skills.

Just ignore them, not even FOSS zealots want to run borderline unusable shit like Trisquel and Parabola.

finished pic related, don't know what to play next, meanwhile some L4D2

Attached: 1646517606783.png (1920x1080, 652.47K)

I tried all the workarounds and got nowhere

Can you post the ingame screenshot of this Tux bitte?

Attached: 1649472736825.jpg (1000x598, 176.87K)

>proprietary video games are fine
If they can be run on an entirely open platform they're fine. Even Stallman will say that.
This is not new its been the status quo in gaming on GNU/Linux since the 90s.
If game production companies want to go above and beyond using engines or even assets under copyleft licenses that's even better, but not required.

>Valve is God
Valve is doing a good job right now. If they have a heel turn and become evil then GNU/Linux users will drop them as quickly as any other corporate backer that pisses them off. The people who have made Valve's open gaming stack work will all find other companies to work for to continue their work. They've done it before and the software being open allows them to move freely.

As for your issue with modern AMD64 hardware, not sure what you want on that front. We're all kind of stuck with it at the moment.

Windows 10 ltsc

>always
tick tock, shill

Everything works too well GNOMEbros... Wheres the momentum if theres nothing to look forward to....

Started playing Battle for Wesnoth.

Attached: Battle for Wesnoth.jpg (2560x1440, 1.21M)

Do fitgirl repacks not work well with Wine? I’ve had two games with borked installations via Lutris

Spent hours last week trying to get ACT and FF14 working.

Everything broke on patch day, went back to Windows and everything just werks.

>he thinks Linux is ever, EVER going to be ahead
lol
lmao

based gnome enjoyer

? this was ingame

Attached: 1622364220499.png (1920x1080, 2.85M)

>If they can be run on an entirely open platform they're fine. Even Stallman will say that.
He never said it's fine, he said it's better than playing them on Windows.

>If game production companies want to go above and beyond using engines or even assets under copyleft licenses that's even better, but not required.
>but not required.
Given that you quoted Stallman:
>Nonfree game programs (like other nonfree programs) are unethical because they deny freedom to their users. (Game art is a different issue, because it isn't software.) If you want freedom, one requisite for it is not having or running nonfree programs on your computer. That much is clear.
By the way, no one mentioned copyleft.

>The people who have made Valve's open gaming stack work will all find other companies to work for to continue their work.
Such as?...

>As for your issue with modern AMD64 hardware, not sure what you want on that front. We're all kind of stuck with it at the moment.
At the very least, not sucking their dick while also saying "nVidia is LE BAD". Nvidia never did anything like the Intel ME or the AMD PSP, yet. Also, not saying that INT/AMD hardware respects your freedom.

>This is not new its been the status quo in gaming on GNU/Linux since the 90s.
Not really. Proprietary ports for Linux were rare and spare, and there were way more FLOSS games. And the list got even smaller as id Software and other games went FOSS.

how do i run ss13 on linux

how do i install battle.net without lutris

>better intel integrated graphics support for linux my ass
Works for my 240p CRT needs, outright impossible to pull on Windows.

wine

>He never said it's fine, he said it's better than playing them on Windows.
Which it is. A world where all the games were Free Software would be great. However, realistically that's not going to happen any time soon, and preservation of game history by letting them run on a fully Free or at least fully open base is important.

>By the way, no one mentioned copyleft.
Not sure what point you're trying to make here, copyleft is a generic term for licenses that use copyright to grant additional rights.

>Such as?
Sam Lantinga who has been working on SDL for decades despite moving between about a half dozen companies.
All these guys who work on important open source components will have no trouble finding new employment to keep working on them if Valve goes bad.
Valve is paying them to focus specifically on gaming, but there's nothing that really ties them or their work to Valve.

>Nvidia never did anything like the Intel ME or the AMD PSP,
Not really a good comparison since Nvidia can't make AMD64 compatible CPUs, and has in fact done some pretty bad things in the GPU market with regards to their closed source drivers and proprietary tech.
Like it or not AMD gets some kudos for doing the bare minimum and releasing documentation so third-party developers can make drivers, and releasing their stuff like FSR under open licenses.

>No 32 bit libraries
>No vulkan
Not an option for playing videogames

>However, realistically that's not going to happen any time soon
People used to say that about Linux taking over in the late 90s.

>copyleft is a generic term for licenses that use copyright to grant additional rights.
Copyleft are not the only free licenses.

>Sam Lantinga who has been working on SDL for decades despite moving between about a half dozen companies.
You mean the project that had to rely on a donation to get SDL ready for ARM64 processors?

>and has in fact done some pretty bad things in the GPU market with regards to their closed source drivers and proprietary tech.
And still none of them as bad as Intel ME and AMD PSP.

Attached: Screenshot 2022-04-21 Twitter.png (598x682, 298.33K)

>[Apple] Transition Kit
Hehehhehhhhehehehehh

Actually, it's "Developer Transition Kit."

That's hilarious too.

anyone know why i get access violation crashes in wow? it always happens on the loading screens

You do know that Intel ME and (especially) AMD PSP were questionably an issue in the first place and for the past several generations have been both unofficially (ie coreboot etc etc) and officially (disabled in BIOS/UEFI) disabled for a long time now, right? Ever since the SA-00086 potential vulnerability there was a microcode update to allow these things to be disabled in the UEFI from a setting. AMD PSP was not anywhere near as extensive as Intel ME to begin with and niether of them should have been proprietary etc... but the fact they can be disabled on something besides an ancient thinkpad or whatever is important now.

could be write limits in security.conf

Why are you such an angsty faggot? Not hard to understand windows is shit, gets shittier by the year, and not wanting to bother with it.

Are you using FFXIVQuickLauncher? Not only do you get UI addons, its a better launcher overall and fixes a lot of problems without creating any - its also Linux friendly and open source!

>and always will be
The gap is closing faster and faster. Even if it never reaches parity, the difference will be negligible enough that it won't be worth dealing with Windows' baggage.

look forward to image grid previews in the file picker

Source? System76 still says that it's not possible to disable IME.
>The Intel ME poses potential security security risks due to its access to the system and an inability for users, even including motherboard and firmware vendors, to audit the source code of the Intel ME firmware. Disabling all functionality of the Intel ME is not possible.
>tech-docs.system76.com/components/intel/me/README.html

Libreroot still does not support modern processors because of the same reason.
libreboot.org/faq.html#intel
libreboot.org/faq.html#amd

because I am not a faggot

>t. proud blindfag

WHERE IS IT GARY??? ITS BEEN 2 FUCKING MONTHS YOU STUPID BITCH STOP MAKING YOUR FUCKING HOTDOG GAME AND CLICK THE EAC CHECKBOX ALREADY

Attached: IMG_20220421_140539.jpg (1080x509, 79.41K)

Install Windows, sweaty. Or play something else, LMAO.

FUCK YOU GARY HAD THIS SHIT 8 MONTHS BEFORE RELEASE WHY IS HE SUCH A FAGGOT FUCK

It will never reach parity, and it will always be trailing. Linux on desktop usage is decreasing, not increasing.
You know what the difference is between Windows users and Linux / Mac users? Windows users can admit Windows is shit in some ways. Linux / Mac users can't.

>Linux on desktop usage is decreasing, not increasing.
Chrome OS, chud.

i'm thinking about making the jump but how is steam's data collection/telemetry? no point if they'll just do the same thing as windows

You have to option to NOT use Steam?

Cope, chud.

maybe

lutris bros.....

Attached: 1650565550632.png (962x135, 49.26K)

>reputable
>(Western) media
Pick one and only one.