What went right and what went wrong?

what went right and what went wrong?

Attached: Doom Ancient Gods.jpg (1364x1005, 580.39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fanatical.com/en/game/doom-eternal-deluxe-edition
fanatical.com/en/dlc/doom-eternal-year-one-pass
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You tell me. I haven't played them yet, but I did love the base game. Been waiting for them to go on sale.

What went right
>More shit to kill
>epic music (in my opinion)
What went right
>god awful final boss
>cringe avengers tier story

Doom 2016: fuck the story, go kill demons
Doom Eternal: IN THE BEGINNING THERE WERE THE EVIL ENCRUSTED DILDOS OF PURE AGONY AND THE KNIGHTS OF TRANS THEY FOUGHT IN A LONG AND GRUELING BATTLE OVER THE CUM MCGUFFIN BUT IT WAS SEALED AWAY INSIDE THE DOOM SLAYER (yeah how do you like our cooler, edgier take on doom guy? We take ourselves seriously here at id. Doom guy is so....gendered, amd we want our protag to be inclusive to all) AND THUS THE DOOM SLAYER SLUMBERED....UNTIL NOW....

>zoom eternal
lol
lmao even

First one was really hard, the second one felt to easy.

Part 1 was developed before the pandemic, overall super kino except the final boss and the spirits were annoying as shit, part 2 was made with ID employees remote working and that's why most environments were so mediocre and all enemies reskins, also why you see retarded shit like the swamp tentacles in fountains, they couldn't delay it because the stupid year one pass deadline.

Both were shit. Nothing went right. Then again, I don't expecting anything else from Nu-Doom.

>Doom 2016: fuck the story, go kill demons
dunno man, I remember several unskippable cutscenes

>be me
>work with gamer guy
>hear him with other co-worker
>tries to shill the Doom DLC with 'YO DOOD THEY JUST SHOW UP LIKE ENDGAME'

Pic relevant to how I felt hearing this absolute shit Doom turned into...

Attached: 18812836.jpg (900x507, 52.31K)

>....gendered.....
Did you really thing the fucking demon lore tablets/whatever were gonna have the words "doomguy" on it?
I totally agree with the rest of it though

First one was great, only bad thing is one enemy forces you to use the microwave beam, the arenas and boss were fun.

Second one all the new enemies demand you use their a specific gun, stone imps are the dumbest thing. Screecher zombie is pretty lazy annoying and having a prowler disable movement while also having these zombies around was awful. The maps always had me walk up to the exit of an arena before the fight starts, final boss is a maurader that heals with 5hp bars, it's fucking slow and dogshit

this,had good music (not stuart rynn level,but still great)
fun fights that expand on the base-game.
but
really bad bosses,stuff like ultrakill mogs it (though mods make it alot better)
shit story

only other complaint is the second DLC didn't escalate combat enough to make up for the OP hammer.

First DLC was too hard for casuals.
Second DLC was too easy for veterans.

Ancient Gods 1 is generally excellent, UAC Atlantica Facility and The Blood Swamps are in my opinion easily some of the best levels in the entire game. Whether or not you'll like The Holt kind of depends on how you feel about Urdak as a setting, I guess. I personally am not really a big fan of the setting so that level was not as interesting, still looks great and has cool fighting arenas.
Part Two isn't as good as the first, but it's alright, Reclaimed Earth is a great level.

Both DLCs have excellent production values and nothing about them feel like cheap repurposed textures or anything like that, they feel like full fledged campaign levels. They're also a lot harder, and expect way more out of you as a player when it comes to pretty much everything, which I really enjoyed.

I definitely recommend them. Especially Part One.

Are the people that call the second DLC the ones that played Part One before the patch? Because I just played both of them and I definitely wouldn't say Part Two was too easy, it gets pretty intense, not as hard as part one was but it's not like there's a huge disparity between the two.

The Blood Swamps might be the best level in the entire game

Attached: doom eternal levels.png (511x651, 335.05K)

they were good, very tough. i think they took stats on guns/mods that were least used and made demons that require them. also THAT fight was kino

played DLC1 before and after the patch and the second one was a fairly large step down in overall difficulty,not really just in toning it down,but also giving a weapon that is somehow more OP than the crucible

you WILL use the auto-shotgun mod

Yeah they should've. They know nothing of this unstoppable force except that he was called doom guy in his universe or whatever.

>fuck the story
>tons of data/audio logs
>3 times you are locked in a tiny ass room while robot dude dumps exposition on you
Genuine brainrot

>the spirits were annoying as shit
I actually love the spirits as an enemy, they made the combat feel more focused, like almost dodging the spirit buffed enemy while clearing out an area to make sure you could kill it later. I think it's a fantastic enemy.

I was more annoyed by the new enemies in the 2nd dlc because they didn't feel as thought out

Attached: Spirit.png (196x388, 184.61K)

>right
Being a post game levels meaning id has no restrains. Tag1 peak Eternal
Hammer is also fun, literally realtime chainsaw
>wrong
Covid fucking up tag2 development

TAG1 is pure kino from start to finish

TAG2 is overhated

>bonk
?

Well now you got me excited to try it. I hope it goes on sale soon.

Attached: 1649975063839 4D2B2165-DF89-43A5-B2AA-BA193F782EFC.png (400x378, 122.07K)

at least metadoom is epic

Everything about it is so cool and soulful
>tfw corpses in those little creeks staring at you with empty eyes
Reminded me of those swamps around Mordor from LotR. Lots of creativity went into those visuals.

>all these tards got filtered by the plot
Sorry it's not like gaylo or cod, maybe the fisher price aisle would be more your speed lmao

Right:
>I liked the arenas
>More challenging
Wrong:
>Possessed enemies
>Shit-tier boss design.

I wish meat hook points were in a base game

The story and art direction is a composition of ideas done much better elsewhere but most Doom fans don't consume any other types of media, which is why they praise the series in such high regard to begin with
Harry Potter fans are less embarrasing
They may be illiterate but you never see them sperging over power level autism about how their boy wizard could beat Kratos or Goku, so all you have left is comparing politicians to Voldemort and coping with JK Rowling's politics

Meds, now.

the world spear master level is bullshit

Attached: 1574852987890.jpg (1439x1434, 421.48K)

I even loved the platforming in it, I wish the game had more platforming like that, or preferably harder. The platforming is so easy in the main game that it might as well not really be a thing, it should have gone all in because its fun.
I'm in the minority in enjoying fps platforming though but it's fun.

I also love the visuals of the final area, I kind of wish that part was playable but lore wise it makes sense why there wouldn't be combat going on there I guess. It's such a nice reward going to that serene beautiful place after spending time in a literal swamp hell. I also love how you see that massive tower all throughout the level, it's such a cool looking place.

Attached: blood swamps.jpg (2560x1440, 1.12M)

Oh yes, having that huge alien tower straight from Wayne Barlowe's paintings dominating the more traditional decaying Gothic landscape was the cherry on top. I'm 100% sure there were big fans of Barlowe on the art team.
>I kind of wish that part was playable but lore wise it makes sense why there wouldn't be combat going on there I guess.
Maybe the next Doom game will start there, whenever it comes out...

are you on pc or console? if pc it's on sale here
this one has it all
fanatical.com/en/game/doom-eternal-deluxe-edition
if you already own the main game here's the dlcs on sale
fanatical.com/en/dlc/doom-eternal-year-one-pass

Both were made under a year of release because of a season pass contract.
At the very least, they could have been random missions setting up a potential sequel that should still take a while to come out.
People used to shit on Capcom and EA for releasing games' "real endings" as DLC.

part 1 went right
part 2 was rushed and went wrong

For sure, I'd say its probably the coolest area in the whole game, blood swamps I mean. I love how different it feels to all the other hell levels.
I think part of the appeal of the final area is that it comes after literal hell, it's such a cool palette cleanser, that's kind of why I wish it was playable, even if it meant you just walked down to to the pool area instead of it happening in a cutscene

Attached: bloodswamp.jpg (2560x1440, 842.8K)

the problems with tag is like why it's safer and more fair for doom if it didn't rely on a single continuity
halo fans are unlucky because the halo universe was always an appeal of the series but to "fix" doom lore, the next game could just do some ideas differently and focus on what else could work or be fresh

I'm on Xbox and lol, I just noticed that it's currently on sale, so I just bought it. Gonna play it later today.

>YOU ARE LE DOOM SLAYA
>HE IS ALSO LE DOOM SLAYA... BUT LE BAD
>cue the worst boss fight in a doom game ever
the fact the big "Dark Lord of Hell" built up to that garbage pisses me the fuck off.

Have fun, user.
if you haven't played the main game in a while, I'd recommend maybe playing a lower difficulty than you normally would, but I have no idea how good you are at the game so maybe not. But the first level alone is harder than anything in the main game. I think you can change difficulty on the fly so it doesn't matter all that much

>>cue the worst boss fight in a doom game ever
OG spider mastermind is worse, at least Cyber is tanky and has that intimidating stomp

Well, I love Urdak aesthetic, and I loved Holt, which is corrupted Urdak, but still kinda serene, peaceful and beautiful in spite of that. When it's not filled to the brim by demons, that is.

I'm not worry about difficulty, I beat the base game on the hardest difficulty because I love the challenge of Doom games.

Why does everyone compare Doom to MCU when the one cancer plaguing those movies and every other western piece of media nowadays is the shitty Whedon-esque dialouge?
Of all the things wrong with Doom's story, dialouge is not one of them.

One can argue the bald UAC kid is a Whedon-like character, but he isn't on screen for too long.

All they had to do was a 1v1 doomguy fight and everyone would've shit and cum their pants, but instead we get more red light green light waiting for a big stupid japanese mech to take a swing.

They split the DLC into 2 parts to make more money. The DLC sucks. That's it.

I wish I liked Urdak more, I don't dislike it but out of all the level themes in the game I think it's my least favorite, which feels wrong saying because the Argent D'Nur type areas feel so much more generic that I should like it less than Urdak.

I think Hugo has the right ideas for gameplay but he's a little off the mark on lore and tone. It waffles too much between glib and genuine to the detriment of both. While I see 4 as the inferior game, I think it struck a better balance with that stuff.

Oil rig level was actually great
Everything afterward was not as great
Possessed enemies are actual cancer, and so are "red light green light use right gun to win!" enemies.

TAG 1 was great, but had the single most cancerous final boss in any game ever made

TAG 2 was not as great, and the final boss was just a marauder.

Don't really mind, bossfights are generally unfun in FPS, they're all just gimmicky nonsense.

Attached: 897d392879ebae984be46bd83842ba9d.jpg (900x1410, 174.56K)

>what went right
Most of Doom Eternal, ignoring the terrible story and some padding at times.
>and what went wrong
Everything in The Ancient Gods past the second level of the first DLC.
The most fundamental problem of Ancient Gods is that they clearly haven't really figure out how to properly continue escalating the game and it's challenge.
So instead of escalating the encounter design itself, they started increasing the challenge by stripping the player off options.
Which is generally a very bad idea in game design, at least in games like this one.

The introduction of enemies that introduce slow-down, require extremely specific weapons to be killed in very limited time-frames, and more shitty boss-fights was a terrible idea, and the bigger portion of the entire DLC is all about that.

I fucking loved D:E, and the first two levels of Ancient Gods are still enjoyable, but the third level of the first one and the entirety of the second one are trash.
Just poor, misguided design from the bottom up.

It's so weird listening to Hugo Martin talk about art and his goals with developing games. He's like a complete normie that seems like he dislikes anything that might be challenging to the audience, he loves, like absolutely loves mainstream stuff and I'm not saying that in the sense that he talked about a mainstream thing, no he specifically used those words that he loves mainstream art that is designed to appeal to everybody. He's like heavily into Steven Spielberg and cites shit as like the Coca-Cola bottle as inspiration because it's so influential and loved by everyone.

Then he makes Doom Eternal, which on the surface for sure has a wide appeal, but the actual gameplay mechanics definitely does not, the way Hugo talks about art, you'd think he would be making single player campaigns like Call of Duty, not this, and he finished the the whole game and the DLCs on nightmare too, with a fucking controller.

Did they ever fix Ancient Gods part 1 after nerfing it's difficulty or is it still fucked?

you didn't like Reclaimed Earth? Thought it was at least pretty decent

yeah things that slow you down or knock you back and kill your momentum to the point that you're stuck even if you're meathooking are fucking retarded.

>Everybody hates the spirits
why? I genuinely like them as an enemy

Ancient Gods Part 1 was fucking awesome. Unironic white knuckle inducing speed and difficulty. It was one of my favorite experiences in FPS history, and I heard they fucking ruined it because the normies complained. I don't have the heart to play it again and see how raped it is. Did they ever restore its former glory?

Part 2 is just dogshit. Easy, boring hammer gimmick, the devil is the single most pathetic waste of time in the series and I refuse to consider him canon.

>Everyone loves the blood swamps
Isn't that the level with the fuckoff fog everywhere?
Sounds incredibly annoying to deal with.

You should probably play it again then, I don't know the specifics but I know they reversed several nerfs that were done to it.
Just try it and see for yourself. I played it only after the patch and it was fucking great and very hard

>fuckoff fog everywhere
there's a few foggy areas, there's the wolf segment and then there's another area that is just foggy. Most of that level isn't fog though

I would like spirits more if they didnt force you to use one specific weapons addon to take them down. Having only one option to kill something when you have a large amount of choice otherwise is always a fucking pain. Especially when it eats up a bunch of ammo for that weapon

Eternals story was fucking stupid. 2016 was dumb too but it felt like it only reared its head like 3-4 times the entire game and it was pretty barebones in that regard otherwise. Doomguy in 1/2/64 etc was just some dude survived and fucked everything up. Its really disheartening unless you're gay or something when it just turns out its because hes THE DOOM SLAYER TM and literally shaped in the image of the Devil/God/The Maker. Then it turns out demons are used by a form of angel for this bullshit power cycle they use them form. There are some neat things here and there that still maintain the feeling of hellishness but otherwise Eternal is as close to being a kiddie normie game as it can be. Story wise i mean not subject to the gameplay.

All they needed was a 1:1 deathmatch esque fight, instead its a shitty mech with hit the right color fight that heals on damage. Making it just inrecidlny boring and time wasting just a massive chore in general rather then any kind of fun fight.

It was still tolerable when it was an enviromental hazard in the second level of the first DLC.
But once it becomes a COMMON enemy attack, it's bad.
And when you add the shit like Spirits and those FUCKING cursed prowlers, you have a recipe for disaster.

I can understand how it happened, but that does not make it good design.

Blood Swamps are exactly on the edge of where it still works by forcing you to adapt to new circumstances, but not being restrictive enought to feel seriously frustrating.
It's a gimmick level - by premise, actually, and that is fine. Each part of it presents a small gimmick that twists the regular encounters. The fog is one segment - and it lasts for about 3 minutes, so no, it's not really that annoying. There is also a segment where you have to fight buffed up Marauder, a segment that features spectre-like sneks which forces you to face them without cheezing them with rocket lock-on, and so on.

Since none of these gimmicks last too long, it's fine - it just spices up the gameplay.
The end of the level is where the DLC starts to fall apart. The boss fight with a fucking cube is not only boring, but it also first features the really, REALLY annoying attacks that slow you down. Which again would be tolerable if it was a one-time gimmick. But from the next level on, it becomes a COMMON ATTACK and that is where the shit starts.

It's gotta be autism and I'm not even joking. That being said Doom Eternal is a really fascinating exercise in game design. Everything about it was made so economically to help players understand its rules, but there is still a vocal component that just does not want to indulge it whatsoever. The ammo thing playing into loss aversion in particular.

>the lone Archvile
Gets me every time

Attached: 1448815757216.png (679x427, 7.65K)

A FUCKING GREED!

Whole game builds him up to be this ultimate being and he's just doom guy if a dumb mechanic.
WHO THOUFHT THAT WAS A GOOD IDEA?!