A whole new generation is about to find out how shit Sonic CD is

A whole new generation is about to find out how shit Sonic CD is.

Attached: Sonic CD logo.jpg (1280x720, 142.98K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tiermaker.com/create/sonic-classic-levels-tierlist-186556
youtu.be/aAxSF4JESSU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sonic CD is good

I remember the days when the Taxman port came out and everyone hyped it up but the game sucked. Sonic 2 and 3 are cool

"Shit" is strong but it's probably the most overrated Sonic game for sure.

I understand what they were trying to do (pathways through the levels open or close depending on what time period you're in, to represent the passage of time) but it results in clustered, confusing level design that lacks flow.

The special stages are among the best in the series though (at least with the Retro Engine smoothness).

>the most overrated Sonic game
that should go to colors

It's the most average sonic game out there, but has a great OST (in Japan)

That and Generations may be tied for second place.

>only good Sonic games made in 10+ years, aside from Mania
yeah no wonder they're highly praised. CD doesn't have that excuse. 2 and 3 blew it out the water

Ah, I remember the collection of games that taught lil' me how shit Sonic CD was.....

Attached: Sonic Gems Collection.jpg (3284x2148, 1.45M)

I'm not sure what people see in Sonic Colors but Sonic Generations has some high points. Its problem is it's only good by the sum of its parts, not what makes it up.

>gets a collection with 9 great games
>complains about it
That's what I like about Sonic fans, middling Sonic games are better than what most other series have to offer in totality, and we'll still call them shit because they aren't perfect god tier experiences.

Look i'm not saying that Colours is one of the best games of all time. I'm saying a Sonic game that was bare minimum decent was a long time coming at all since SA2.

i dont think theres any other fanbase that complains about its own games as much as sonic spergs

>listening to the opinion of "gamers" who think fucking 3d Sonic games are actually good
This is how you know Sonic CD is fucking god tier.

It's totally misunderstood, the time travel re balance mod helped me understand what they were going for but at the end of the day I think all CD really needed was not to have the sign post wear off if you fucked up a time warp . Bouncing around the levels finding the generators is rewarding, especially when you warp back to the good future before the level end. If you don't fuck around and have a mind to explore a bit, which is usually just running back and exploring paths, you'll hate it but I doubt people have it an honest shot.

>all CD really needed was not to have the sign post wear off if you fucked up a time warp
this, cant tell how many times ive restarted the game because i fucked up a time warp on the last second
also the collision in this game is wack and it really shows on the pinball boss

>9 great games
Tails Skypatrol is maybe the worst Sonic related game in existence.

>complains about it
No, I wasn't complaining about the collection.
Fighters and R were must have ludo like the box says.

I was ignoring that and Spinball, Gems also had Vectorman and Vectorman 2 as unlockables

Oh nvm I misread lol, sorry user

I actually can't stand CD's Special Stages (only played the Taxman version) but maybe I'll actually git gud since the new collection lets you retry them

Its literally the best one.

It still shits over most other games in the genre just by virtue having Sonic movement and physics.

Garbage opinion. I bet you like Sonic 2 and 3 more than advanced and generations too.

DIMPS level design and physics > crummy American influenced 90s garbage platformers. Sonic CD is the pure Japanese experience.

The pure Japanese experience sucks. 2 and 3 are the peak of the entire franchise, with Generations in third

2 falls off after Chemical Plant. You're right with 3 though.

The problem with CD is entirely the level design
It feels completely different and so much worse than the level design in basically any other 2D Sonic game
What they probably should have done was just keep it simple and have different level exits that take you to the past/present/future version of the next stage like Outrun style branching paths and be done with it that way they could've designed the levels with the normal flow 2D Sonic levels are supposed to have

Attached: 1625111941313.png (693x448, 31.4K)

Each their own but I think most zones in 2 are still pretty great. Oil Ocean and the retard pit in Mystic Cave notwithstanding

Ironically the Taxman port made me like it. Widescreen helped immensely, but it was mostly replaying stages for the Time Attack mode I think that actually made a difference as it made me appreciate the level design in a way that I ignored playing it (for the first time) on a Mega CD a couple of years prior.

>outrun
>going to minis tirith
'old up, something isn't right about this

You're not wrong about widescreen helping a lot and I did enjoy the first couple of zones tbf but for me anyway, the level design outstayed its welcome. I tried it the original on emu last year and it's just rough

Shadow The Hedgehog did that

Yeah and it's one of the few cool things about Shadow the Hedgehog
If only they didn't mess up the rest of the game

tiermaker.com/create/sonic-classic-levels-tierlist-186556
Post em

Attached: sonic.png (1015x733, 569.28K)

I don't even care if I'm biased. The NA soundtrack was so good and the colors so mesmerizing that it's my personal favorite.

GET FUNKY, BE FUNKY, STAY FUNKY, YO HUSTLE HUSTLE
GET FUNKY, BE FUNKY, STAY FUNKY, YO HUSTLE HUSTLE
youtu.be/aAxSF4JESSU

Sonic Blast and Sonic Labyrinth are worse.

Attached: firefox_44MJDb3cHp.png (835x460, 488.74K)

Give me a reason to why I should play Sonic CD on Sonic Origins instead of playing the Steam version. At least with Steam version, there are mods to restore all the cut content and restore the Japanese OP vocals. What would Origins do that can't be done on CD with mods?

Attached: sonic falling.png (252x327, 2.43K)

Attached: zone.png (1048x811, 1.03M)

Counterpoint - why shouldn't you? These versions of these games will probably be the go-to for modding in the future

>those bottom two tiers
Based user

At least in 3D Blast I know where the fuck I'm going so it's already better than Chaotix

CD is better than sonic 1 at least

>Denuvo on 30 year old games

>Counterpoint - why shouldn't you?
They're overpriced, will wait when it goes on sale
And it's gonna take a while for a lot of mods to be made to work on Origins.

>Sonic Forces turned out to be one of the worst game in series
>Sonic Colors port turned out to be one of the worst remaster in series
>Sonic Origins turned out to be the worst Sonic collection and one of the jewest re-release game of all time

What the fuck happened to this company?

Do they even care about their mascot anymore??

Attached: Sonic Classic Levels Tier List.png (1291x821, 1.11M)

>These versions of these games will probably be the go-to for modding in the future
Maybe, but if they are indeed the RSDKs we know and love it's most likely that mods will support both origins and the decomps. Hell decomping mania is what made a lot of mods plus the classics decomps possible to begin with

Yakuza is all that matters.

whoops meant for

>mirage saloon S
I love that stage but act 1 as anyone but knuckles basically disqualifies it from S

>zoomer hyperbole

Attached: Levels.png (1140x830, 884.27K)

The classic Sonic (and Classic Mario games) should all just be free.

I've always had a soft spot for Sky Chase Zone, can't help it.

What really boils my balls is that the japanese release had the Streets of Rage trilogy as well, but they were cut in the western release to keep the rating down.

>advertises itself as being a port of the saturn version of Sonic R
>Is actually a port of the inferior PC version

the music is, the game itself isn't

2011 CD plays at your monitor's refresh rate, and I'm a lazy fuck who doesn't want to put the work in to get around that.

I always get amazed by how many people are filtered by fucking CD. I beat this game regularly as a kid and you fuckers are getting walled by fucking time warps.

It's not about getting filtered it's about it not being fun

Sonic cd has nice aesthetics and music but horrible gameplay. Even sonic 1 is more fun than that shit.

It's not fucking Ninja Gaiden, its Sonic fucking CD.

Then again, I suppose I am dealing with the kind of people who think that the Knuckles the Echidna level pack is worth playing in a run of Sonic 3.

>back in my day we played with a hoop and stick and we loved it
yeah whatever grandpa

You have brain damage.

CD is alright I dont understand the hate. I played it with all time stones for the first time and I liked it. The only zone I hated was wacky workbench

>get game with gold
>start playing the modern section, it's just unleashed but worse
>get to the classic section, it's just modern section and its awful physic and no momentum in a subpar 2.5 level, nearly Sonic 4 tier but full priced
I don't get why anyone would like it

Super Monkey Ball got monkey pawed too you know.
SEGA didn't make a single good decision in 20 years