ITT: shit that wouldn't be possible today

>free online play
>full compatibility with previous system (even 2 technically)
>download play
>all of the above is free
and it's barely been 10 years since it released

Attached: H2x1_Nintendo3DSFamily_support_no_logo.jpg (2000x1000, 324.23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tcrf.net/Virtual_Console_(Nintendo_3DS)
3dbrew.org/wiki/ARM7_Registers
github.com/profi200/open_agb_firm/blob/master/source/arm11/open_agb_firm.c
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>>free online play
PC games have this
>>full compatibility with previous system (even 2 technically)
PC games have this
>>download play
PC games have this
>>all of the above is free

PC games have it all

what's the PC equivalent of download play?

what's download play? I had a DSi but i don't think i ever found out what download play was?

>>full compatibility with previous system
It's pretty crazy that with just two systems, (GameBoy Color and N3DS), you can play Nintendo's entire handheld legacy going back to 1989, natively.
I wish they had kept the back compat thing going with the Switch. It was such a nice bonus of their machines.

you can have a single copy of a game and be able to play locally with your friends by passing it (or part of it I guess) to them through wifi

Oh i get it now, yeah i think the download play equivalent of PC would be steam library family share.

The dual screen thing would have been cumbersome. Still, I wish they tried to support DS/3DS cartridges in the Switch.

Remote Play Together

vegan

> Download play

Some select games let you connect another DS and download just enough so that the other DS could join the main DS for multiplayer without having to actually purchase the game twice.

Can't really say there's a true equivalent on PC, but there are games with limited free trials.

>>free online play
It's possible, they just choose to charge you. Especially with how limited and stunted their online services are.
>>full compatibility with previous system (even 2 technically)
This is an issue due to medium changes. Do you want the Switch to have a DS/3DS slot? A GB/GBC/GBA slot? That's just extra bulk to the system.
>>download play
It was possible with some DS games due to file size, and the downloaded version was a limited version, not the full game. Tons of multiplayer games utilize one screen/splitscreen still.

Also all of this is on PC.

>fat thinks of food for no reason
lol

>It's pretty crazy that with just two systems, (GameBoy Color and N3DS), you can play Nintendo's entire handheld legacy going back to 1989, natively.
...You mean a GameBoy Advance and a N3DS.

>Do you want the Switch to have a DS/3DS slot? A GB/GBC/GBA slot?
GBA and 3DS solved this problem elegantly by having a slot that accepts both cartridge types.

Nope. GBA is native on 3DS. You just need a softmod and virtual console injection, it's quite easy to set up.
Using a GBA would mean that you can run physical carts and don't need to softmod, though.

No shit, retard. That's why I said DS/3DS slot and GB/GBC/GBA slot. But you can't have one magical cartridge slot that plays any systems' games before the Switch. Do you want the Switch to have a fucking disc player for GameCube, Wii, and Wii U games or something?

>you can play these games natively
>you just need to softmod
You don't know what, "natively" means.

Retard, the GBA was more infamous for flashcarts than the NDS, you just need an SD card and can put literally the entire Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and Gameboy Advance library on one GBA sized cartridge.

>Do you want the Switch to have a fucking disc player for GameCube, Wii, and Wii U games or something?
easy way to solve this is to stick one on the dock
they used to make slim dvd drives like pic related for laptops
a bigger issue is fitting a full wii u and wii on the switch soc i think

Attached: Slim Internal DVDRW-600x600.jpg (600x600, 37.55K)

fpbp as usual

Natively means on original hardware. There is indeed a full GBA inside every 3DS, all you need to do is enable it in software. GB and GBC are sadly emulated, which is possible, but I wouldn't trust the weaksauce 360MHz processor to do a good job of it.

270MHz* I mean.

The Switch dock would have to be a Wii U re-engineered to use the Switch itself as the tablet. With the Switch updated to communicate with the dock when not docked with it.

Natively means in the original state or environment it came from. Softmodding is objectively NOT using native equipment, you turbo retard.

Yes it is, you're unlocking capability that was already there. How is that different to using a flash cart or sticking ROMs on an SD card?
By your definition you would need one of every handheld anyway, which defeats the point.

You're turbo retarded, holy shit.
By my definition, you only need a GBA and N3DS.

You can do it either way and there are merits to both. It's still not wrong to say that GBA is native on 3DS. For that you don't even need any new hardware that the system didn't already use, yet somehow flash carts are fine but a software mod isn't. Why?
If you intend to run pirated DS games, well you need a softmod for that anyway.

oh you're right. that would be fucking weird and expensive.
still, i'd love it.

Offtopic, but is MH4U still online and can I still fight dalamadur?

Attached: Random.jpg (1440x958, 230.65K)

Even the NDS with its wimpy 66MHz CPU does an excellent job emulating GBC games.

In the context of running software from one platform on another, "native" refers to whether or not binary translation is being used. For GBA games on the 3DS, it isn't.

Meh, if you're accepting emulation, you may as well go buy a bluetooth controller for your phone.
I gave up on 3DS emulators after the third corrupted Pokemon save.

Yup.

>shit that wouldn't be possible today
fun games

>softmodding changes the console
>popping in a flashcart does not change the console
hurr durr

It doesn't change the console in any relevant way except for allowing you to access the GBA hardware it already had.

Man if only your goal posts had wheels on them!

he's been saying the same thing the whole time

Huh?
The only goal post is that the software is running on its intended platform instead of using some translation layer. That is the case for GBA games on a 3DS.

A third party intending software for a platform doesn't mean the first party intended the platform to have the software, retard. Keep flailing.

kinda regret not getting a 2ds xl when I had the chance. my og 3ds is pretty much dead

Il flip a coin
>Piracy with downloading legit copies, Connecting to offical servers like steam servers or nintendo servers like shit that is similar to USB helper.
>Piracy with online and workshop support
>PIracy with cloud saves
Former pirate fag here I want to see you why the fuck you still pirate games these days it aint the 2000s anymore, You are going to be crippled over cloud saves and other gimmicks too relying on shitty private servers that will barely work, Piracy will never be able to connect to offical servers, Give up.

Attached: wii-u-usbhelper-search-game.jpg (1154x682, 163.6K)

So why is a GBA included on a 3DS SoC different to a regular GBA?

The only ten gba games officially released for the 3DS use an emulator

They don't.

Yes they do
The emulator even has a UI when you pause the rom

No they don't.
An emulator was actually developed for running GBA games on the 3DS, but it's slow and shitty was never officially accessible.
tcrf.net/Virtual_Console_(Nintendo_3DS)

You're confusing the GBA games for other VC games. The 3DS is unable to pause them or use sleep mode or use save states.

>A service that either has no subscriptions or just pay once and own forever
>All mention in OP
Worst part I know most twitter fags, redditors, and even fags here would defend this type of shit and its retarded as fuck, They all go like "MUH SERVERS" "MUH POORFAG" type of shit

It's not an emulator, it's a real GBA inside the 3DS that is running the game. Virtual console here is simply acting as a GUI and flipping a switch to turn the GBA hardware on.
3dbrew.org/wiki/ARM7_Registers

spawned copies, a very based system which is unfortunately dead.

The GBA games use a first-party emulator. Do you know what a, "virtual console" even actually is? It's when you emulate an operating system on your hardware, such as emulating Windows 95 on your Windows 10 to play Windows 95 games. That's what the 3DS does. You are retarded. There isn't an actual GBA built into the 3DS like there is with the DS.

>The GBA games use a first-party emulator.
There is no emulation involved.

virtual console itself isn't even always an emulator
it's game dependent. sometimes it's a full emulator, sometimes it's partially emulated, sometimes the game gets straight up ported and the rom file is only used to pull sprites and whatnot.

>There isn't an actual GBA built into the 3DS like there is with the DS.
There is and it's even documented how you access it, both here and in code here github.com/profi200/open_agb_firm/blob/master/source/arm11/open_agb_firm.c

No, retard, you stupid retard, I put "virtual console" in quotations specifically to refer to "virtual consoles", "virtual consoles" are an actual fucking thing on computers. Nintendo was cheeky and used the term for their online store.

You're confusing virtualization and emulation. Virtual console is just what Nintendo calls the old games they sell you on new consoles.

All wii u usb helper did was give you legit copies of games, Something the switch can also do if also jail broken, There is a possibility you can access nintendo online servers with the switch similarly to the wii u but there will be more hurdles now that nintendo is relying on a subscription service.

You're thinking of "virtual machines".

It used to be a thing before they blocked it

If you had mario party but your friend didn't you could both play together using two DSs even though there's only one cart. Some games forced the person without the cart play as certain charaters like shy guy in mario kart.

pirating

literally spawners and also hachi to trick LAN over net

Yes, I think that one used to be on the shop till nintendo found out about it and got rid of it quickly, I really hope the ryujinx dev actually does grow balls and decide to implement connect to nintendo servers similar to cemu, I really don't want to buy three hopes

By the 3DS' time download play has already fallen out of favor.
I remember most DS games that had multiplayer also had download play. But I can't remember many 3DS games that did, mostly just some 1st party titles like mario kart.

why does the console look so aesthetically pleasing?

It's not possible. They require a system certificate to connect to their CDN now, and they check against the games that system can download. Even back before they implemented this they were banning public certificates that people used to download games.