Why were games back then better?

Attached: snes.jpg (1000x1000, 247.39K)

good joke. now post the hundreds of shovelware that the snes had
every generation has a shitload of bad games and a handful of good ones, like the picture you just posted. stop being a retard

simplicity

Except nowadays its 100% shovelware and 0% good games.

>MR nutz 2

Because you were a kid and you didn't know any better.
>Secret of Mana
and clearly, you still don't know any better if you praise that glitchy mess of a game.

AAA gaming started pandering exclusively to normalfags and casuals, leaving hardcore gamers behind. Now you have to brave the indieshit dungeons to find good games

New games are a lot better

The argument of "are video games art" has permanently ruined vidya. Nobody gave a shit back them and just tried to make fun games, now games are made with the intention of being taken as a serious art medium. video games are not, have never, and will never be art

Games today are more complicated and harder to make

they were made by passionate developers who wanted to create actual games and not shitty political and agenda pushing garbage

we didn't have a bunch of retards crying that they were gonna pirate every game on the system because some pixels on a rock looked off
nobody cared that OoT ran at like 15 fps, it was (and still is) one of the best games ever made getting 10/10s from everyone. Nowadays if a game doesn't run at 60 minimum it's automatically 4/10 trash.
So to sum it up, pcfags' entitlement ruined videogames.

Games today can be made a lot easier with premade engines and assets you can buy. Even disregarding that, studios always reuse engines and assets for at least a couple games. In the SNES era games were $70 which is about $150 today, and games had to be good or unique because you were getting one infrequently, if they didn't sell or were bad, they were gone. Compared to today, where we get new recycled sports games and COD games every year, some of these have been going for well over a decade. We just barley stopped getting Assassins Creeds' yearly and there are still a million copy and paste Lego games being pumped out.

I'm not saying sequels/reused assets didn't exist in the SNES era but often they would mix things up or up the difficulty enough to be worth getting a sequel, especially because games back then weren't as long. See things like DKC 2 & 3 or MegaMan X. The only exception to this is Street Fighter 2, but that was just mirroring arcade releases and at least then each addition added something worthwhile. Every game of that time wasn't amazing but the highs were really high.

Gaming is a lot bigger of a hobby today, and certain companies know how to milk their niche because those consumers have nowhere else to go for the thing they want like with sports games. Some companies don't innovate because they don't have to. They're not appealing to a small handful of gamers who can afford one game every now and then and who's attention is also being competed for by rivals.

Games are worse today because a market exists where bad games are profitable.

Advertisements have your expectations sky-high for what are normally just bargain bin games. I couldn't tell you how many titles I own for the 6th generation of console that are just okay and I bought for like $10-15 bucks.
Price really makes a huge difference on your outlook when it comes to enjoyment as well.
I played monster sanctuary on xbox game pass which I only paid a dollar for. If I paid what the asking price is for that game on steam I'd be pretty pissed off and irritated.
Now these half-assed games that don't deserve a full $60 price tag come with DLC/skins/loot boxes/etc to take even more cash from you.
They're looking for your impulsive nature to take over. It's all about psychology and manipulation of you as a consumer to make poor choices. They don't care if you like it, because they'll advertise the next turd to you and you'll lap it up due to your impulsive nature.
Games aren't about fun anymore, it's about being addictive.

if you're a loser doomer I can see how you would think this
in reality this isnt the case and lots of great games are being put out year by year
have fun living in your little world

The PS5 has been out for like a year and a half and has barley anything on it that you can only get there. You know how many all time classics were out on SNES or hell even PS2 in that same time frame?

dont care. thank god consoles are dying because exclusivity was always cancer and would lead to games being forgotten/lost. multiplats and PC indie games are still innovating and putting out classics.

>he thinks exclusives are going to go away
Look at all the company buy outs bud

so get a PC and stop crying

/thread
game studios were always in make it or break it mode.

Make an amazing game or lose it all, and many did. Difference between then and now is that if you bought a bad game back then, it sucked and you'd probably never see the name again, but now that same game is on the shelf next year with a new number.

We were younger and had fewer expectations.

>and would lead to games being forgotten/lost
Ah yes all those lost super Nintendo and genesis games.

Not everyone wants to play PC games and sit at a desk my dude. Consoles will exist as long as people wanna sit on a couch and play video games. You can say people can do that with a PC too but that won't change the fact most people don't wanna deal with building or buying PC. They want to plug something in and play. I don't see that changing.

>games
Can they really be considered games when there's no chance of losing? Devs now operate under a philosophy that anyone should be able to beat any game. Progression is built in. Another cancerous philosophy of modern games is that every game must appeal and be accessible to the broadest possible audience. This results in everything looking and feeling the same. Same standardized control scheme, one of two standard camera perspectives, one of a handful of derivative gameplay types.

I feel like fraud for telling you that I barely give two shits about any of those games. I was born 1991 before you screech about me being a zoomie. I will agree that 95% of modern gaming is trash

you can literally do that on a couch and thats exactly what I do
>. I don't see that changing.
kek its been changing.

Attached: f397.png (895x99, 8.09K)

I already have a PC and it's probably better than yours. No one is crying nigga, I'm just telling you to open your retarded eyes for once and think.

so you just don't like video games?

OP here. it's not a good list of games. But I couldn't find a better one that listed more good examples
>No Mario World
>No Megaman x
>No final fantasy
> No fucking Chrono Trigger
> No ActRaiser
>No Castlevania
> No Pilot wings
>No Demons Crest
>No Breath of fire
>No Street Fighter
>No NBA Jam
>No Mortal Kombat
>No Kirby super Star
>No Ogre Battle
>No Punchout
>No TMNT
>No Harvest Moon
>No Contra
>No Mario RPG

Even the 360 had Burnout Revenge, Oblivion, Gears of War, and Dead Rising in the first year. This gen is just an embarrassment, all of the magic of the generation change is fucking dead

Attached: 1361876677624.gif (344x221, 51.82K)

My only interest in gaming is PC games that date anywhere from 80s to now, PlayStation and PlayStation 2.

What is your opinion on Ultima 1?

>I already have a PC
then shut the fuck up and go play a game
>its better than yours
who cares lol
>. No one is crying nigga
says the bitch boy who cries about video games being dead because his favorite console doesnt have enough games being pozzed and censored by Sony. just stfu

Attached: fdaMQi80Fq.webm (1282x722, 2.85M)

Because they focused on what games SHOULD focus on: tight gameplay.

Games like this still exist. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is a good example.

>back then
>yes to be gay and a fuck
>buy it first thing
>no returns after 1 day
one fucking day

People have been saying consoles have been going away since the PS4 generation, and console sales have been going up along with steam numbers. More people are getting into playing video games so the number goes up, and I'd wager a lot of those steam users own a console.

If Sony and Microsoft stop making consoles they know Nintendo will take that share because there is no one else, and they won't let that happen. Plus dudebros who wanna play one or two games on a couch are not building a fucking PC, it's just not happening.

They are going to actively lose a substantial part of their market if they don't make a living room device you realize that right? I don't think you do.

>consoles are dying because no exclusives
I pointed out that big companies are buying out big name devs to push exclusives and consoles will most likely not die out as a result
>GO GET A PC
Okay bud. Once again, open your eyes. Consoles are going to do just fine and will always do just fine. I don't like them either, but I don't act like a turbo nigger like you do when someone points out facts to me.

hot a what a bibi?

>116.9 million units sold of the PS4
>On track to pass the ps2
>Selling more units in a shorter amount of time
>thank god consoles are dying

Sure they are bud, go cry

console tards getting defensive kek
the market shifted towards PC because consolefags are a cancer to the market
yes I know consoles have a place, they are for children who love playing fortnite. this is obvious. by 'dying' I mean they arent going to be in the spotlight anymore. this wouldnt have happened without
>censorship
>paid online
>subscriptions up the ass
>$70 games
>bullshit restrictions
>far less games and features
you can bow now.

Attached: B-BUT PC GAMING IS A MEME! B-B-BUT NO ONE CARES ABOUT IT! STOP POINTING OUT IT'S WHERE COMPANIES MAKE THE MOST MONEY!!!.png (1624x1082, 50.67K)

nobody is getting defensive, you're just being a retard and posing a Strawman.

We're not arguing about PC having a larger install base, none of us said that. You were saying consoles are dying and that is false. Two of the best selling consoles of all time are current ones out there being supported: The Switch and PS4.

One big reason is that they were complete.
You got home, pulled the cartridge out of the box, popped it in, turned it on, and you had a feature complete game to play at your leisure.
No preloading, no day 1 patch to fix half of the broken stuff, no patch a month later to fix more of the broken stuff, and no season pass full of promises and expectations.
What you bought was what you got, for better or worse. You could finish and game and be satisfied with the experience, and move on. If it was a good experience, you'd play it again a few times a year because you had fun, not because you were being strung along with 2 hours of new content for $40 every 4 months.
Combine that with answers other anons have said, like simplicity, tightly focused gameplay, and no endorphine dispensing checklists like achievements.

Attached: 1643860211400.jpg (672x787, 39.86K)

>by 'dying' I mean they arent going to be in the spotlight anymore
moving goal posts I see
Still doesn't make you look any better, you still look like a massive retard and you're essentially just saying "i wasn't really wrong I'm just right in my own way"
You have nothing relevant or important to say. You should consider going back to whatever shitty forum you came from.

Consoles will never die, even if they are basically bogged down PCs. People enjoy the ease of plug and play and not having to patch broken games.

>Consoles are dying
>No they're not they're breaking records previously held for 20 years
>B-But PC has more people!
Dude stop changing the goal post, you're arguing against things that were never said. Go fuck off for real

that literally wasn't the argument

the market shifted towards PC. PS5 and Series X sales are incredibly disappointing and the ps5 literally has an abysmal software attachment rate
this whole discussion started out because you were crying about not enough exclusives being on a console you dumb fucking faggot.

hardware limitations required games to have more soul and to be more challenging to compensate

I do wish consoles would die. Past games needed to be downgrade to be able to run on consoles and that hurt PC editions too.

>the market shifted towards PC
cool still not what any of us were talking about. Console sales are still going up, not dying.
>PS5 and Series X sales are incredibly disappointing
crazy wonder if that had anything to do with something out of our hands or if they are still flying of shelves and being bought every time they're available
>this whole discussion started out because
a discussion starting out doesn't mean it went other place mr big brain PC man. We started talking about something else and you started bringing data that was irrelevant to the current topic.

Do you do this in real life too? Because it's obnoxious. Either stick with the current topic or just move on. You were replying to posts about a topic with a different topic. Nobody said those first people you responded too were the same people that brought up consoles not dying.

Hey retard people weren't replying to the post you were replying to. They were replying to YOU and what YOU said. When they do that you reply to what THEY said, not to what the person you replied to said. That's how this website works

>BOO HOO VIDEO GAMES ARE DYING
>why
>THERES NOT ENOUGH GAMES EXCLUSIVE ON PS5 :'(
>kill yourself
>NOOOOO CONSOLES ARE ALWAYS POPULAR AND THEY WILL ALWAYS BE A BLOO BLOO
not my fault you're coping like this kek

16-bit pixel art was the perfect sweet spot between where developers could portray a colorful, detailed world, but the art was still simplistic enough that it still required the imagination. Everything beforehand is too crude, and everything after is too realistic, both of which impede the imagination.

Attached: 1560745561756.gif (500x333, 438.43K)

You know, minus you missing the wojack, this was exactly how I thought you would respond after constantly changing the topic so you could pretend you were right. I didn't post about the PS5 I just replied to your post about consoles dying.

Hard to argue something isn't still popular if it's breaking multiple decades long records.

Have fun being delusional schizo! You can leave the thread now you won.

I was always astounded that pixel art can be colorful and fun, or brooding like in castlevania and more detailed like in DKC. way more versatile than people give it credit for.

You literally got super defensive about the console dying part for no reason Im not going to sit here and "debate" over some butthurt faggot about the clear market shift that happened.
Yes consoles are "dying" because of bad business practices and cenorship. Get the fuck over it faggot

>Getting defensive = Telling someone they're wrong
>Everyone who doesn't agree with my incorrect fact is being defensive
Now you're bringing up censorship which no one else but you ever even said? Were you champion of the debate team or something? Anytime someone else points out how you're wrong all you say is cope, or argue against some shit nobody said. A market shift did happen, but no one said it didn't and it didn't/ hasn't resulted in consoles dying. You're extremely delusional no joke.

>Yes consoles are "dying"
Consoles are not dying. More consoles sold last generation than ever before. PS5 and XSX are off to a good start despite a global chip supply shortage and pandemic.

But yeah, post more pictures about E3 if you want to discuss things that are dying.

Attached: 1627906739882.jpg (4809x2024, 1.69M)

Zero is a bit harsh. BotW might be a shit Zelda, but it's still a great, atmospheric game. The problem is more to due to focus groups, shilling and advertising for mediocre slop being hailed as the next coming of Christ, and letting suits and SJW dipshits overwrite a creative mind, or the devs creating it's, vision.

Hating on SoM is such a fucking meme. "Danger" might sound a bit harsh, but once it gets past the grating part, it's a fine song, and even with the shit they cut out from the SNES CD, it's still an amazing game. It's not fucking hard to wait to 100% to strike something or learn how to stunlock/avoid stunlock (most times, fuck those Griffin Hands, though).

Attached: mana[1].jpg (512x444, 75.84K)

>console market isnt as strong as it was = less exclusives for console paypigs = its 'dying'
>NO YOU SEE UM YOU'RE REALLY GOOD AT DEBATING AND UH ITS NOT DEAD THERE WILL ALWAYS BE CHILDREN AND THATS UM LIKE DUMB AND INCORRECT
>UM YOU ALSO CANT BRING UP THE REASONS WHY THEY ARE NOT AS POPULAR BECAUSE I SAID SO
just shut the fuck up faggot jesus christ
thanks I will keep posting images that prove the market shift that occured and how consoles are less popular than they were relative to PC, thanks.
>PS5 and XSX are off to a good start despite
post software attachment rates for the ps5 and we'll see this claim crumble. yes its popular among scalpers everyone knows that

>Trying to get the two good ones to fight each other
Very poor bait, Polygon

what the fuck are you even talking about anymore

Better make sure you keep posting it as a reply to people who weren't talking about the same thing as you were either so you can continue to pretend to be right.

I'm not surprised you're this much of a retard

>this whole discussion started out because you were crying about not enough exclusives being on a console you dumb fucking faggot
please quote me where I post this because I never once did

consolefags getting defensive over the market shift is not my issue lmfao
if you cant handle your shit dying maybe speak up about the companies who are fucking you in the ass

you did it again lol. you changed your definition for "dying" we were all talking about numbers, then you were proven wrong then changed it to censorship and paypigs. Easy to win an argument when you keep changing your definitions for your augment

see here
>inb4 thats not me
dont care. thats what I replied to and consolefags got super defensive about the dying part kek