Why did they choose 16:10?

Why did they choose 16:10?

Attached: everything-you-need-to-know-about-steam-deck.jpg (1600x1073, 158.78K)

They don't want you to watch movies on there.

probably cheaper. Same reason they chose a shit battry, 800p, GPUs that break, a fan that sounds like murder, cheap toy trackpads, a janky, homemade UI, sub-standard audio quality that produces noticable lag and no more than 512gb of storage.

Probably because that's extra vertical real estate you can use. You can just letterbox to fit 16:9 if the game does not support it anyway. They've got their hardware philosophy perfected with this I have no idea why anyone would shit on it.

>I have no idea why anyone would shit on it.
because it's legitimately bad

In case you want to play 4:3 games and you get less black bars

Because it's better than 16:10
Generally, 16:10 is more expensive

How so? How is more screen bad?

>10 points has been deposited to your social credit score

16:10 is objectively better than 16:9. Not sure why you would think it would be cheaper considering you are getting more screen with 16:10.

whats the point in 16:10 if emulators only go to 16:9?

You can run games in 16:9 and fit an always on status bar.
In theory at least.

16:10 screens are far less popular in this format than 16:9 screens. Emulation tends to favour 16:9, and these screens are not going to be used in anything other than emulation devices because they're not exactly high-quality.

Because To stop a gaben, hit control and press the gaben
Gaben, gaben, gaben, gaben
To stop a gaben, hit control and press the gaben
In addition, to stop a gaben, hit control and press the gaben
Hopefully, to stop a gaben, hit control and press the gaben
In addition, to stop a gaben to stop a gaben, press the gaben
Gaben, gaben, gaben
Thanks
Have fun

because 7 8 9

Because it was cheap since they used mobile screens and just rotated them

And you can just letterbox. Have that extra part of the screen do nothing. You talk like you are forced to fit everything in 16:9. Your talking points don't even make sense.

>you can just
and you wouldn't have to with 16:9. Which is why it's more desirable. Fewer steps.

16:10 is the best aspect ratio for a PC.

So you want the least amount of customization and be locked down. Let me guess, you cry about the dual trackpads that can be bound to combinations of functions and keys because it's too complicated huh?

Don't get defensive at me. I'm not the one who chose to rotate a cheap 16:10 mobile screen in the device you've chosen to champion. Send valve an angry email or something.

16:10 is the patrician resolution an it's a shame you can't really buy display for it any more

Letterboxing is automatic. Stop pretending to be retarded.

So take it up with the guy who said
"you can just letterbox"

F A G G O T

Full retard
Also, 16:9 is less screen. I don't want less

A lot of old systems are 4:3, which gain more screen space at 16:10 compared to 16:9, so not idea what you're talking about

>Complaining about a 40Wh battery in a sub-netbook chassis
>Complaining about Valve choosing a resolution that wouldn't decimate battery life or performance literally one second later
>"GPUs that break" in an iGPU system
>Presenting a recognized RMA-worthy issue as if Valve decreed it normal or acceptable
>Several bullet points of pure chink seething FUD
Don't you have a suicide net to be installing outside your sweatshop windows, Chang?

Attached: 1611843405871.jpg (330x417, 16.4K)

>1200x800
Valvetrannies WILL defend this

>IT NEEDS TO HAVE LONGER BATTERY LIFE AND IT NEEDS TO LOOK PRETTIER AND IT NEEDS TO HAVE BETTER PERFORMANCE AND IT NEEDS TO BE SMALLER AND LIGHTER BUT IT ALSO NEEDS TO HAVE LONGER BATTERY LIFE AND
Kill yourself.

Attached: a.png (350x400, 130.74K)

Because 16:10 is for monitors while 16:9 is for TVs.

Because it's a fucking mini PC not a TV. 16:10 is superior to actually work with it's not even funny.

16:10 was the universally considered the best ratio before consolefags started switching to PC.

On small screens like the one on the Steam Deck yes. There isn't that much functional difference on a reasonably sized 40" monitor between having 2160px vertical and 2400 pixels vertical.

Intentionally low resolution so they can shill AI upscaling.

Its more that 16x9 displays got large enough, cheap enough, and high resolution enough to make paying the premium for 16x10 no longer worth it.

There fucking well is. Having used 16:10 for so long it's actually painful to look at 16:9 at this point. Everything is squashed in.

I can assure you on a 40" monitor running 3840x2160 nothing is 'squished in'. If it helps you picture it, imagine it as two 16x18 monitors with no seam between them.
If 16x10 is good, surely 2x 16x18 is even better.

How come SteamOS uses less battery life than Windows on the Deck? So in theory can you save battery life of a laptop by going Linux or does the Deck/SteamOS have some crazy battery optimization shit that is not normally found in Linux?

The best way to save battery life on any device is to turn it off.

but the point I'm talking about is that using the Deck with SteamOS consumes less power than putting Windows on it, which is pretty damn nice for a portable device

Windows run a ton of background shit
That said Windows also has proper hardware drivers which prevent issues like system being stuck on a higher power state.
In the end it's very ymmv.

>How come SteamOS uses less battery life than Windows on the Deck?
GNU/Linux doesn't have a million background processes that drain battery like modern versions of Windows do.
Plus over the last decade Valve has worked on the GNU/Linux exclusive open source AMD drivers.

>So in theory can you save battery life of a laptop by going Linux
Yes, if its an all AMD system or all Intel system, with open source drivers for all of the hardware, and the vendor (or some other interested party) tunes everything to make sure its running as efficiently as possible.
That's the big advantage the Steam Deck has, it was designed from the ground up to run GNU/Linux and all the drivers are open source and so can be tuned for efficiency.
There's a few other companies who have done this like Google for their Gentoo based Chromebooks, but most vendors just buy Windows hardware with hardware that needs closed source drivers, install GNU/Linux distros on them and resell it.

>Windows also has proper hardware drivers
Not for anything from AMD.

Windows do random sneaky not so sneaky shit in the background that uses power regardless of your settings. This is well documented. And I guess there also may be some powerstate magic Valve does with the kernel governor, although in real life when using linux on your laptop you'd have to pay attention to your powerstates because not all governors do things the way you are used to. I know this by personal account. My main PC runs Ubuntu and the OS does not let my CPU frequency go lower than 2200mhz out of the box unlike Windows 10 which can go as low as 800, not that it actually goes that low because of the aftermentioned background processes.

I have one and the hardware itself is great.

SteamOS is fiddly fucking dogshit though. No way this thing will ever compete with something like a Switch. It's so annoying when 70% of your game library doesn't work at all, has issue, or requires an hour of fiddling just to get it started.

>No way this thing will ever compete with something like a Switch
Yeah no way it will ever compete with a system that took 3 years to get a Youtube app and 5 years to get basic folder support. Nintendo are the kings of user experience.

Ever since CPUs move auto voltage/frequency scaling into the cpu itself I haven't touched the governor, it''s basically just a shell.

Switch is about as barebones as possible and has a 10 fps store that takes forever to load anything. It can't do 1/1000th of what SteamOS is capable of. Obviously with that much of a surface area of capabilities SteamOS is going to be buggier, but in exchange you get far more freedom to do whatever you want.

I mean as far as ease of use for general masses. People picking this up expecting a similar experience are going to be very disappointed.

With the Switch, yes it's a closed platform but you just pick it up and it does the thing.

With the Steam Deck you can expect to be jumping through hoops constantly just to try to get a game working. Proton is an extremely lackluster bandaid.

I've been messing with PCs for over 20+ years so I'm used to that sort of stuff. Average Joe will not be.

That wasn't funny.

Normies can just stick to the verified games and they'll be fine. There are still some issues but those will be ironed out in time. The verified library is still humongous, far bigger than the Switch's was one month after launch.

>w-what do you mean I have to hit the STEAM + X button to invoke the keyboard IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE MY IPHONE THIS IS TOO COMPLICATED

>I mean as far as ease of use for general masses
I literally can't buy a single game on Nintendo eshop using a credit card because my bank requires a special kind of authentication that doesn't work on whatever 15 year old browser tech they have running in the background of the store.

if you want to play certain games on a handheld, natively without streaming shit, you won't have a choice besides Deck versus other PC handhelds that tend to be way more expensive, for example people can already play Elden Ring on the Deck, seems like that ain't coming for the Switch so yeah

Meanwhile in streaming town:
$0 extra invested
16ms input latency almost anywhere in home state
Don't have to carry anything extra
Don't have to charge anything extra
No storage limitation
RTX
No compatibility issues
No need to install a game twice
No need to configure a game twice

It's just better

>bank breaks standard
>expect others to deal with it

what if i go outside

Oh and did I mention 4k?

You can open the keyboard with anything you set as a shortcut to open keyboard in desktop mode, I use the select button.

>anywhere in home state
My house is big but not that big user. You'll be fine.

Attached: 1621997977095.png (1196x621, 657.64K)

>That said Windows also has proper hardware drivers which prevent issues like system being stuck on a higher power state.
my MICROSOFT surfacebook 2 gets stuck in highpower mode everyday since the windows 11 update and they force you to install w11 to get new nvidia drivers because they serve them to you with no way of being able to install them yourself

did anyone find way/anyone create a way to remap the buttons on Steam Decks UI? Big Picture Mode or whatever its called. I hate having my confirm on the bottom since I moved to Japanese region games years ago.

I know you can remap games a million different ways but it seems like that feature isnt is either missing or I cant find it for the UI

>Works on every single other device, including the Vita and 3DS.
>It's the banks fault, not the 15 year old browser they use for the store backend that makes the store run slower than the Nokia Ngage web browser.
I guess not having a Youtube app for 3 years after launch while even a 3DS had one for nearly a decade is also Youtube's fault and not Nintendo being incompetent and going backwards with every new console.