Doom Eternal (2020)

Five years later and it remains the most di/v/isive game in the history of 4channel's Yea Forums - Video Games subforum
>Supporters say
It's the richest first person shooting experience ever created, empowering players with a huge toolbox of weapons and gadgets to fight off hordes of demons while seductively maneaouvreing dense levels, the ultimate flow game
>Critics say
It's shit

Whose side are you on?

Attached: doometernal.jpg (683x1024, 384.46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/7zwQIahOj0Q
youtube.com/watch?v=5bTZ6hEWSy4
youtube.com/watch?v=9eWqK4KJQg8
youtube.com/watch?v=E393qKDtle8
youtube.com/watch?v=H6M5USNt24A
youtube.com/watch?v=UTDoGsu2Idg
youtube.com/watch?v=aNDM-edgMtc
youtube.com/watch?v=CaTOFJ086PE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>2020 +5
>2025
>04/15/2022
user?

Yes?

First time travel i see

>5 years later

it's good but it good be... le better

i like a lot of the games that can be called controversial, like elden ring for example
i like doom eternal and i like elden ring
i am aware that both games have major flaws
i hate that bot games get praised as the pinnacle of their genre and that a lot of shitters and reditors like them simply because devs lsiten to the majority

with elden ring it is now acceptable to be a gamefreak-tier fan, with doom it's now acceptable to turn every FPS into a puzzle game with guns and bad enemy placement
look at shadow warrior 3 that tried to be another doom eternal, can't even be bothered to pirate it since it's just another chaotic arena and platforming game like eternal with WoW shoulder pads design philosophy where quantity is better than quality
eternal dropped the bomb with the DLCs since it was just arena after arena without any thought put into the enemy placements at all and just wanted to be hard and fast and djent metal for the sake of being hard and fast and djent metal

tl;dr boring after the first playthrough

Attached: 1553540448550.jpg (1200x900, 206.47K)

Here's an actual "critic" view of the game user
>every weapon copy-pasted over despite new realms allowing for wonderful opportunities for new ones
>shitty cutscenes shoved into every fucking ten minutes with a horrible story (turning off the cutscenes doesn't mean they aren't in the game, that's like saying if you close your eyes during an experience-ruining last scene of a movie that the scene doesn't exist)
>artstyle is muddled and all the designs are just taken from the original games - these designs don't fit the tone of the game and world especially with all the serious story shit they doubled-down on in eternal, i hope you pricks getting high off nostalgia fumes choke
>horrible clunky platforming that slows the pace of the game down and makes getting to combat sections slower - doom already has natural pace-changers in the form of hunting for secrets, which is player-controlled
>seriously the story is so fucking bad and there's so much more of it
go ahead and tell me i'm filtered or a zoomer or whatever
2016 > eternal

vocaroo.com/7zwQIahOj0Q

Wow, isn't that the badass LE DOOM SLAYA!?!? This is so epic and metal XD! le based dev god Hugo and his butt buddy le Marty want to EXPAND THE DOOM POWA FANTASY, uh, yayah!!! Shut up and take my money lmao :P THE DOOM SLAYA NOW HAS EXPOSED BICEPS OMGG!!!!!, I'm getting really horny!!!! Oh wow all wads are canon... wowow omg that means NUTS.WAD IS CANON OMG SO WACKY AND CUHHHRAZEH OMG DOOM SLAYA FIGHTING FOR AEONS OF TIME UHHHH MMMMM YESSSS THE ANCIENT DEMONS SAVED HIM UHHHH FEELS SO GOOD MMMM LORE EXPOSITION IM FEELIN REAL NICE!!!! MY PENIS HAS BEEN MEGASPHERED UHHHH *looks down at his shrivelled member and grabs it with a swipe from the side like an edgy DOOM SLAYUH cutscene* WOW, WHAT'S THIS?? HE STAYED IN HELL TO FIGHT THE DEMONS LIKE IN DOOM 64?!?!?! HOW BASED CAN ID GET?!! *starts stroking and making epic revenant AHHH meme noises* I-IS THAT A FLOATING QUESITON MARK AND EXTRA LIFE IN MY DOOM GAME, UH YYYYYYYESSSS!!!! *hand turns into a fucking mach 5 piston with iron man colors and a snoo decal* AHHHHHHH OH MY GOD HE IS AN ANCIENT WARRIOR AND LE ANCIENT CIVILIATION ALIENS LE ALIEN QUEEN AND VEGA ROAD TRIP THROUGH SPACE AAAHAAAHAHA IM COOOOOOMING AND CONSOOOOOMING REDDIT-TIER LOOOOOOOOORE!!!!!!!!11111 *wipes cum on doomguy amiibo and strokes 3d printed crucible he made from an r/doom tutorial while waiting out his refractory period by dressing up as doomgirl and posting it for karma then getting hard again because he read an epic marty strapon tweet about how mick gordon is farting into a mic for the third time to score the epic kar en kukold dlc*

Attached: 1557055487404.jpg (960x584, 320.01K)

And MetaDoom is epic
youtube.com/watch?v=5bTZ6hEWSy4
youtube.com/watch?v=9eWqK4KJQg8
youtube.com/watch?v=E393qKDtle8
youtube.com/watch?v=H6M5USNt24A
youtube.com/watch?v=UTDoGsu2Idg
youtube.com/watch?v=aNDM-edgMtc
youtube.com/watch?v=CaTOFJ086PE

Attached: metadoom IS epic.png (551x709, 594.12K)

>>artstyle is muddled and all the designs are just taken from the original games - these designs don't fit the tone of the game and world especially with all the serious story shit they doubled-down on in eternal, i hope you pricks getting high off nostalgia fumes choke
I hate most criticism towards Eternal's aesthetic because its nostalgia designs aren't even 1:1 to how they looked in the first games
If nobody even compares Eternal to Darksiders, i can't trust them to discuss Demon Souls' aesthetical differences in the PS5 remake
>Muh "grit"
2016 was only "edgy" because it surficially carried over 2016's aesthetics, then took notes from the same fantasy aesthetics in every other western game

Attached: diablo-diablo-ii-wallpaper-preview.jpg (728x410, 64.01K)

>because it surficially carried over 2016's aesthetics
Still, the one Doom game that actually tried to be edgy isn't even that good to begin with

DOOM > Eternal > 2016 > II

i've never seen a game so obviously good filter so many
>you can only shoot 10 times before you run out of ammo!!
then use the chainsaw
>i dont wanna use the chainsaw every 20 seconds!1!
then use more than 1 weapon
>every time you see a cacodemon you have to shoot a grenade in its mouth!
no you dont fucking dumbass.
>the game forces you to play one playstyle and restricts creativity
says the dumbass who plays 2016 with only super shotgun

why do people claim eternal has better enemies than 2016?
is it just the number of enemy types or because everyone focused too much on marauder nontroversies, they forgot most enemies shared similar attacks and would have been almost interchangables?

>I hate most criticism towards Eternal's aesthetic because its nostalgia designs aren't even 1:1 to how they looked in the first games
Who the fuck cares if they're 1:1 or not, the main point is the new designs don't fit as well with how serious the game is taking itself
It's obvious they're based off the old designs no shit but they're bad designs
>If nobody even compares Eternal to Darksiders, i can't trust them to discuss Demon Souls' aesthetical differences in the PS5 remake
Nice non-argument you've got there
>"you can't critique the games i like if you haven't also played the other games i like and HAVE to bring them up or your argument is bad!!"
3 isn't nearly the fucking same aesthetically, it's so much closer to the same grey and black horror/shooter blend bullshit of the mid-2000s while 2016 actually took time to establish every aesthetic part of its world properly, while setting a more serious tone to distinguish itself from og doom, but not going into the point of absurdity like eternal

It also exposed the "good game critics" when Loltaku types have had the same opinions on the game as the unironic Reddit userbase they'd despise with any other series
You can tell people forgot Doom ever had a modding community, when nobody even attempts to steal and copy paste opinions from Doomworld, so the opposition is just Yea Forums's shitty criticism to the game

it has like 3x the amount of enemies and they made some of them like mancubus much better because in 2016 he just nonthreateningly stood around with trash AI and they gave most of them weakpoints

I didn't like that chainsaw only regened to one tank. Meant I could only use it on fodder. Make a 5point upgrade that allows it to fill up on damaging enemies on fire or some shit do I could chainsaw big enemies.
Not a fan of swapping the entire arsenal. Tried to get good at it, wasn't fun. Ultranightmare will remain incomplete.
Cacos are stupidly strong, I don't know if it's just me but unless I focus them they come from behind somehow and demolish my ass.
Don't like shared ammo, ended up never using basic shotgun, plasma rifle, or unmayker unless the enemy type specifically required it.

I will never forgive them.

Attached: revenant.jpg (1280x720, 128.46K)

Because enemies aren't.just standing there waiting to be glorykilled
Bigger enemy roster
More enemy classes

>2 years ago was 5 years ago
what timeline is this? is nelson mandingo still alive here? also the game is shit

your post is shit fucking idiot

>it can't be series because they're based off old designs
You're an illiterate retard when so much media had "goofier" designs but tried to be seriously
Doom has the art fads as western games
All that discount Warhammer and Warcraft chittin, they copied it
Doom 3 had more creative designs because they at least knew that "demons are fucking weird"
Doom 2016 gave almost every design some sort of chittin because they might as well be edgy aliens
It made Hell even more alien for the sake of "nerdy lore" to bait Youtubers
People already said 2016 looked like a MOBA back in 2015
It had the same trends as a cynical Hollywood movie
If making "Doom more serious" means generic alien designs that make Hell fucking boring, might as well say you prefer the 2005 movie
Doom was never on the same level as Shin Megami Tensei or a Wayne Barlowe piece but if you ever wanted Doom to be edgier, might as well drop the words "Satan" and "Jesus" or else Wolfenstein should even have Hitler namedropped at all

And still NOT compatible with doom eternal you SHILL

>then use the chainsaw
It's boring and repetitive. No creativity. No interesting mechanic beyond "Go to refill ammo station and press button".
>then use more than 1 weapon
Ultrakill does this better where swapping weapons adds more to the game. You can absolutely be a retard using only the shotgun but you will enjoy the game much more if you use variety. Eternal forces you to do this.
>no you don't fucking dumbass.
For the first third of the game, yes, it is literally Simon Says with little wiggle room. I assume this is where most people stopped playing and why they say this over and over. Regardless, it does show a flaw in the dev's thinking.
>says the dumbass who plays 2016 with only super shotgun
It forces you to constantly swap weapons in an artificially difficult way. Meaning that the only reason you're playing like autistic spastic constantly swapping weapons is because the game wants you to do so.

Left is better but when playing the game it's not something that anybody will notice.

>Ultrakill does this better where swapping weapons adds more to the game.
Oh no it's retarded

I watched footage on launch day of Eternal and thought I was looking at some kind of fucked graphics option because the UI was all 80s neon retro dogshit and all the enemies hard cartoon eyes.

It's shit.

>Why is Eternal sillier than 2016
Pic fucking related is way.
Doomslayer is based off ironic memes, where people jokingly "analyzed" Doomguy's power level as a parody of nerdy power level arguements.
Pic related was ironic until some hacks at Screw Attack animated Doomguy getting his ass by Haloman and people took it seriously.
The Doomslayer would not have happen if not for an ironic characterization of a blank slate redefined by its fanbase.
If anything, giving credit to just the meme comic (Which even got a popularity boost thanks to being mentioned by Lowtax) hides the true backstory and all the lore and art direction is the equivalent of SEGA trying to force Sanic or Sonichu as actual Sonic characters with their own backgrounds.

Attached: 1455497994361.jpg (1260x824, 309.37K)

What in that statement was wrong? Genuine question, or are you going to act like a generic zoomer?

Loved it.

>it is literally Simon Says with little wiggle room
>Blood punch, sticky, heat blast, scope for weakpoints
>heavy enemies die to auto weapons/mods
>grenades/blood punch to falter enemies
>bbut caco REQUIRES grenade to mouth
Lmao. Caco dies to 2 ssg shots

shut the fuck up nigger.

This video alone might as well explain why they redesign Doomguy to be much closer to Chief visually.
The irony considering they're also aiming to appeal to people hyping Doomguy as "the ultimate badass of videos".

Attached: 1643220594063.png (550x306, 352.8K)

Attached: 1464459212858.png (652x1959, 129.84K)

Caco melee is a run ender. They become priority over every other enemy for me.

Attached: 1619227290012.jpg (200x199, 24.5K)

Anyone that claims a game has "Simon Says Combat" has 100% been filtered beyond belief. This goes for any game.

Everything
Why should I use nailgun when punch pellet destroys any enemy? Why should I use core eject when punch pellet destroys every enemy? Why should I use pierce revolver when punch pellet destroys every enemy? Why should I use screw canon when it is usefull against an enemy that disappears after 3rd layer?

>5 years ago ago was 2 years ago

Attached: 1594278154821.jpg (582x581, 134.89K)

John Stalvern waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were demons in the base. He didn't see them, but had expected them, now for years. His warnings to Cernel Joson were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
John was a space marine for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the spaceships and he said to dad "I want to be on the ships, daddy."
Dad said "NO! YOU WILL BE KILL BY DEMONS!"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the space station base of the UAC he knew there were demons.
"This is Joson," the radio crackered. "You must fight the demons!"
So John gotted his palsma rifle and blew up the wall.
"HE GOING TO KILL US," said the demons!
"I will shoot at him," said the Cyberdemon and he fired the rocket missiles. John plasmaed at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
"No! I must kill the demons," he shouted!
The radio said "No, John. You are the demons."
And then, John was a Zombie.

imagine looking at a series whose identity started as a joke and think
>the best visuals are the one game that looks like a gentrified artstation profile

>doom eternal doesn't force you to play a certain way
>but ultrakill totally does
The actual fuck? At the risk of sounding like a shill for the game, Ultrakill still doesn't have it's other difficulties out yet so perhaps by the end of the year you can get the same level of weapon swapping autism like you do in Eternal.

Seriously, all I'm hearing is that you did what 90% of players did for Doom Eternal and you're saying it's somehow not ok because...? Reasons.

Attached: 1522431922101.png (466x449, 306.48K)

0/10 garbage, my doom wads dont work on it

lol

It's good overall but also has a lot wrong with it

rude autist

No it's overdesigned, overengineered AAA shite
the game's design is entirely propped up by gimmicks

Attached: 1457326990747.jpg (252x260, 22.37K)

>nuDoom
it's for pathetic limp-wristed zoomers larping as og boomers
anyone who likes nuDoom is basedcuck

i prefer gimmicks over being too much the same as 2016 and by 6, they should keep trying to come up with gimmicks and new redesigns again
it's 2 ways to justify making another doom game besides a new developed game engine after a time gap

plebs filtered

Goat FPS.

>Seriously, all I'm hearing is that you did what 90% of players did for Doom Eternal and you're saying it's somehow not ok because...?
Doom Eternal has unlimited ammo capacity without cheats? Doom Eternal has a weapon that wrecks 99% of enemy roster? What's the point of having an arsenal when a single shotgun outmatches them and their variations?
>muh style rank
Pellet punching is literally DmC Arbiter tier of showering you with style points

Doom eternal is exhausting to play. I play games to relax not to be led around like a dog on a leash towards my next ammo pickup.

This is unironically the temporal relativity you start to feel as you age, but in reverse. Once you hit 30, you'll be 40 tomorrow and die of old age next week.

>eternal is set up in a way where it literally tells you how to defeat the enemy. most people will not venture out of this. if you know the answer to the test question, why would you care to study?
>what is the bfg?
>i played with only shotgun. no wait, i only played with this weapon. u-ultrakill is so easy using just 1 weapon.

>i prefer gimmicks over being too much the same as 2016
eternal is better fundamentally than 2016 which is a fucking mess, they did double down on the gimmicks
ideally they should just remove all that garbage and go back to basics but everyone knows they wouldn't hold up without the dumb gimmicks
lmao

the reason why nobody "gets doom" is because so much shit about doom comes from a fanbase that already misremembered the games and lied about them
it will take decino to make a video about doom's vanilla movement to kill of both the idea that you're supposed to play it keyboard only and treating always run as a default setting

I remember taping a weight to my shift key. The good days

>hit a clamber wall without pushing the completely arbitrary button first
>slide off
>jump on the platform that you're supposed to go to but from the wrong spot
>die
Railroading: The Video Game
Dropped it well before it supposedly gets hard because it wasn't fun to play. Felt like it was designed by one of those indie devs that covers 98% of the level in spikes to make sure you play it The Right Way™.

Starting to think a lot of these posts are manufactored to help someone's confirmation bias.

filtered the post

alright actual late-2000s rationalist blog commenter

why is Yea Forums saying the same things game journos say about the game?

Journalists
>don't know how to play the game
Yea Forumsaggots
>don't actually play the game
It's a match made in heaven