Which is superior the original Half-Life or Black Mesa?

Which is superior the original Half-Life or Black Mesa?

Attached: half-life-v-black-mesa.png (592x321, 403.5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YbU_CRxqZwY
youtu.be/QDB8SQz1xj4
youtube.com/watch?v=M9J6DKJXoKk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

both are good, zen still sucks shit in both versions

original

Black Mesa. Better gunplay and physics.

The original for me, black mesa voice acting is mediocre and they portrayed xen as a full of life alien world instead of an alien dimension where things barely survive. And the nihilanth, an enslaved and tortured being whose alien face showed the trauma done to him despite the limitations back then, somehow is le evil boss that has an evil grin now?

beautiful source engine lighting on the right

Black Mesa

Black Mesa misses the point.

Half Life PS2

What point?

Black Mesa until Xen. Yes Xen was rushed in the original and is pretty shit but at least it isn't fanfiction like Black Mesa's version.

Half-Life Source

Am I the only person here who liked Xen in Black Mesa?

I prefer the original but still like Black Mesa.
Xen sucks in both for different reasons.

Original. It's not even a SOUL thing. I prefer the movement of the original, I think the simpler and more condensed environment design works in favor of the pacing, and the combat has more of a old-school flow to it.
That's not to say Black Mesa is bad, but I will still play the original over it any day. The only things that are blatantly worse in HL1 for me are some weird engine quirks that I'm used to by now and Xen being a lame finale. BM, doesn't even completely fix the latter, it just sucks in new ways.

I did too. I like how it was fleshed out.

Attached: brie-larson-stills-at-unicorn-store-premiere-at-2017-tiff-in-toronto-06.jpg (800x1075, 68.51K)

i liked both

Black Mesa is a masterpiece. You imbeciles claiming you prefer the original are fucking retarded and wrong.

They are both worth experiencing honestly. Which is superior is hard, I'd have to say the original just because it leaves it more open to what you think, black mesa is blatantly "This is how it is"

Xen in Black Mesa is a whole different thing than in the first game. The first game lets you just look at it all in wonder, you're actually in an alien world and its totally alien. in black mesa, humans have already built stuff there, and did things. It is good too, but it is not as alone feeling.

I loved it, especially the part when you first get there and go through the deserted scientist settlements.

I beat Black Mesa back in 2012 when it was first released without Xen. How much has changed since then? Should I go back to replay and experience these changes?

I agree, I also absolutely adore the source engine

The final game is very different from the mod.

Xen makes up around a third of the campaign now so it might be worth trying for that alone.

>bloom
gay

Black Mesa

black mesa's marine accuracy feels super robotic compared to the original

Does black Mesa have deathmatch?

both should be appreciated for different reasons

both are good,ZEN is the only area id really give to black mesa.
but both are good and im glad i got to play such a good game for the first time twice.
first black mesa and the rest of the HL games (other than alyx),then rounding it out with HL1

t.zoomer.

yeah it does

Yes it actually does
youtube.com/watch?v=YbU_CRxqZwY

>Which is superior
neither
play both and shut up

My soul inhibitors...

Attached: 1649641158883.png (1211x1467, 690.35K)

can't bhop properly in black mesa, the biggest problem

HL1 still has its unique gameplay and atmosphere but I really have to admit Black Mesa's fleshed out storytelling and narrative kicks the shit out of HL1's. Chapters like Surface Tension in BM feel like what HL1 was going for but couldn't at the time.

Xen becomes a more depressing place the further you get into it in Black Mesa though

>in black mesa, humans have already built stuff there, and did things
lol wtf that's retarded

how does that even fit with the timeline of the cascade

it's not like the OG didn't have dead hev people in xen. it still hinted that people had been there before. just not to as large an extent

Did you play HL1? I don't even like BM Xen but this is a plot point the original actually covers. What do you think the entire chapter of Questionable Ethics is supposed to be implying?

I think it makes a lot more sense. Capturing aliens would be a lot of work. It figures to see more signs of their efforts than a few dead guys in HEV suits.

Half Life has more soul but Black Mesa is better graphically, fuck what retards say, the Zen section in Black Mesa is bloated and they should have removed a lot of it

and why would the implication be that people had been there since a time before and that they weren't just stranded there during the cascade. are you forgetting that during the cascade gordon is transported to xen and back and all that?

The stuff collected in Questionable Ethics suggests a lot of work and organisation, not one or two tentative expeditions.

It’s good and honestly it’s slightly better but the original just has that umph that Black Mesa lacks because it is a graphic polish and they had to change some of it to make it make sense for the graphics. The Zen section should have been edited heavily in BM (and ironically it was lacking in the original). It was cool but it didn’t feel like Half Life in some of the parts but a shit space game, just like Sonic Mania, it was some fan cancer that was trying to make a name for himself or something that shit all over a masterpiece

only if you really want to, the Zen part is weak gameplay-wise and for some reason the devs made it like 1/3 of the game, also the final boss is pretty lame

user, how long do you think it takes to build a big fancy secret research and containment facility specifically designed to hold alien life
I'll give you a hint: it didn't pop out of the dirt in the day or so it takes to get there

Attached: 1504035387906.gif (230x250, 1.81M)

>(zoomer opinion)^-1 = recommendation
everytime

>Questionable Ethics
all this chapter suggests is that they were able to establish or temporarily stabilize, or redirect travel FROM Xen to Earth, and not that they were sending people there and building shit. If that was the case, why wouldn't it have been in the game? They just forgot to put all the terran structures on Xen?

Which one if I have never played HL in my entire life?

>how does that even fit with the timeline of the cascade
thanks for ruining Black Mesa for me kek, I guess the only possible explanation could be that it was secretly being researched in their separated labs (I forget the name of it the one with the giant water tanks and where Freeman teleports to Zen from), but it’s been so long since I played it that I forgot. However if they could teleport to Zen at will why was the cascade an issue in the first place.

Attached: 39FFFCDA00000578-0-image-a-42_1478136180493.jpg (1908x1146, 384.25K)

I did not enjoy Half-Life. It insists upon itself.

in Black Mesa they had tents and shit set up

You should have put Belle Delphine’s face on the right one

don't remember but that was obviously from the survival package that all HEV suits come equipped with.

Xen was very truncated in the original game. I don't know for sure but wouldn't be surprised to learn there was a planned human lab that was scrapped.

youtu.be/QDB8SQz1xj4
I like the music...?
It's not a bad series of levels, the quality is quite high, but they just go on and on and on. It's easily twice the length it needed to be.

i said im a zoomer to avoid people saying im nostalgic or some shit.
maybe if people stopped being such a bitch about other peoples opinions on games,maybe i wouldn't feel the need to say it.

you didn’t enjoy the gravity gun?

Xen was worse in Black Mesa. Only because they made it twice as long but still as low quality and shitty

>However if they could teleport to Zen at will why was the cascade an issue in the first place.
Because there's a ten ton psychic baby keeping the portals open.

>They just forgot to put all the terran structures on Xen?
Xen is basically three rooms in the original. It's one of the most infamously rushed and blatantly incomplete levels in gaming history.

Just to be clear, when I say Black Mesa I am literally talking about the modern remake of Half Life (I think it came out in 2019) not the name of the facility in Half Life. In Black Mesa (the remake) they had giant tents (made of steel and with labs set up in them) in multiple areas and a bunch of equipment installed everywhere, a realistic time frame to set all that shit up would be no more than a year. No way a suit could hold a steel tent think with a fully loaded lab without some Harry Potter bullshit (I guess portals could solve that but that’d be a bit of a stretch)

I’m fucking around kek, like you never talk shit about boomers? Also you don’t have to play shit when it first comes out to feel nostalgic about it, I played Half Life in like 2011 and I feel nostalgia for it

The final fight in BM is kino
>MFW he threw a fucking tank at me
I felt like Interloper dragged on a bit too long, but I loved the lift fight.
The Earthbound levels are a blatant increase in quality, though. HECU ai was retarded in the original, they were actually semi competent in BM.

Attached: the violence has escalated.jpg (388x443, 150.58K)

this

>Because there's a ten ton psychic baby keeping the portals open.
>which is only an issue when Freeman lawnmowers the crystal into the green lightning
is gaintbabybrain a troll? if they were teleporting to zen at will (which the labs which freeman visits before he goes to zen seem to imply) why did gbb only keep to portals open for freeman’s fuck up? Is he in cahoots with G-man? Is Big Baby Freeman from the future distorted by G-man’s twisted time experiments finding a way to teleport to past Freeman to try to warn him about G-man only to unwittingly continue the cycle due to forgetfulness?

can we at least agree the gonarch and nihilanth bosses are a huge improvement in black mesa? i could understand why some people wouldn't like the length of the new gonarch segment. i personally think its fitting and neat that gordon would be playing cat and mouse with this creature in its natural environment.

but you can't tell me the new nihilanth fight isn't better than being teleported every minute to the same 3 rooms until you jump up and hit an obscured hitbox while dodging a weak ass attack

youtube.com/watch?v=M9J6DKJXoKk

Attached: 1648193487746.jpg (720x673, 42.45K)