Fromsoft games are not RPGs. They're action adventure games with bare bones RPG elements, like Zelda...

Fromsoft games are not RPGs. They're action adventure games with bare bones RPG elements, like Zelda. If you want to play a real RPG play Baldur's Gate or Morrowind.

Attached: MorrowindCOVER.jpg (220x307, 27.05K)

Neverwinter Nights & Morrowind are unmatched in the genre

Look, I don't care how much of an RPG Morrowind is. If the "gameplay" boils down to this webm, you're doing something wrong as a developer.

Attached: 1633992973339.webm (974x570, 2.98M)

Especially Neverwinter Nights. It was ahead of its time.

straight up, it will still be ahead of time for several years by the looks of it..

Hey OP, I know you're probably ignoring anything that speaks against Morrowind like you did with my webm, but you gotta consider it isn't even a pure RPG due to the action-based movement. And the RPG elements just consist on a simplistic power creep with skills merely increasing your chance of success in different tasks rather than giving you new techniques.

Baldur's Gate is way better as an RPG as it offers the player a more meaningful character progression that involves more than eventually stopping missing all your attacks

>it isn't even a pure RPG due to the action-based movement.
yeah it just isn't just because, because

Elden Ring is an action-arcade game with heavy platformer elements. There is zero roleplaying involved.

Action based movement is tied to player skill
RPG is tied to character's skills

Morrowind blends both poorly

Morrowind is the only game I know where you start as trash and slowly grow into a godlike being. That is if you don't abuse alchemy.

they’re more of an rpg than 99% of jrpgs and 70% of modern wrpgs

you tried gothic?

nope, you get those character skills up, and you have to aim and swing at monsters to attempt to hit them
get over it already ya dumb faggot.

but skyrim combat is somehow fine? because it’s the same thing only your stats don’t matter?

You don't get it. The action based movement gives the false impression of a combat system that rewards skillful players when in truth 99% of it boils down to how strong your character is. It's pretty jarring

>gives the false impression
forget what you know, faggot

based

Attached: 2837483264.jpg (400x400, 22.29K)

Agreed. They're good games, but not RPG's.

Dungeon crawlers count as RPGs. Also, there's no attribute stats or leveling up in Zelda.

I'd give it a chance if the RPG progression involved more than going from missing all attacks to missing none. It's braindead as hell. At least you get active powers to use in games like Baldur's Gate and Kotor (both of which are purer RPGs than Morrowind) but in Morrowind your character's skills just determine accuracy and chance to cast spells

just manage ur god damn stamina

>spam light attacks with a heavy weapon with a minimum damage of 1
>blame the system because you don't understand it
any other game but morrowind and you'd be called a game journalist

This is more thrilling than most first person melee combat games since it's a battle of stat management instead of a flailing shit fest. I don't even like Morrowind that much but it's combat is hardly it's main issue.

go ahead and call them whatever you want but elden ring make it easier for me to role play than any """real""" rpg

You should expose yourself to more video games.

>elden ring make it easier for me to role play than any """real""" rpg
Explain

pick Redguard and use his racial abilities, nigger

>This is more thrilling than most first person melee combat games
lmao can't make this up. Stat management? Seriously? Casting an OP racial power and spamming the attack button is stat management? This is a mockery of actual RPGs that demand you to choose your actions carefully

Early game combat in Baldur's Gate has the exact same thing where the character repeatedly fails their dice rolls and misses 5 times in a row.

I wish this fucking game was never made so you autistic niggers wouldn't be able to vehemently defend an archaic piece of shit you only pretend to like and call the best game ever.

meanwhile i am playing it, cope

>I wish this fucking game was never made
Same. So then I can have dogshit opinions by never having been exposed to better games and then I might be ok with whatever crap the industry decides to shit out this month, just like you.

The truth of the matter is those that grew up in the dark age of gaming had to eat through so many turds hoping for a chunk of corn they acquired a taste for it.
Do not be angry at them. Pity them.

>dark age of gaming
But that is now.

Newfags will really never get the significance of killing an ordinator at level fucking 1 huh

I used to bait them into a fight with insults and then sit in the garden beds and shoot them with a fucking million arrows until dead.

Who is this Baldur and why is his Gate so special?

All Elder Scrolls games have shit gameplay. At least in Morrowind you get some depth and not just a pretty generic Tolkien-world to gawk at.

He was an explorer who found a bunch of treasure and returned home to his then small harbor town and poured a bunch of money in the coffers to keep it safe. He took off again to go exploring and vanished. The town used his money to build walls around their town and it grew into the city of Baldur's Gate.

None of the games are very Tolkien-esque, though

>clearly clip your weapon through an enemy
>LOL MISS
Nope. I don't even care what they were "going for" with it. That kind of shit is five kinds of mad gay.

Aside from it being the first game to popularize the concept of microtransactions, what exactly is wrong with Oblivion?

Is OP just trying to set fanbases against one another?
I LOVE Morrowind, I've spend nearly 1000 hours fucking around in it, it's one of my favorite games since the 90s, and, while not entirely comparable, elden ring has resurfaced some feelings for rpg vidya I haven't had for a long while.
I like both for different reasons.
My main complaint for elden ring, which may seem minor, is that there's no real towns on the landscape, everything is fucked up beyond recognition. While plot wise this may make sense (maybe????) it leaves a lot to be desired.

cope

>t. mad gay

level scaling, shit art style, lore butchering, "we want the LotR audience", oblivion gates, shit dungeons, shit loot, calipers lmao

Jesus man you didn't have to eviscerate his asshole like that.

Its funny because for a boomer who plays fighting and action games this is exactly how dark souls feels

Why the fuck would I play an ARPG that does RPG and Action both wrong? May as well play a good RPG like morrowind and a good fighting game, its crazy that after 10 fucking years soulsfags still don't realize why RPG breaks their action mechanics

I just don't care. It was a potentially good but ultimately shit game.

btw I finished Elden Ring in 60 hours and I found it an extremely awful soulsgame, open world was done awfully bad, the dungeon crawling feeling of something like grimrock didn't exist outside of shunning grounds, farum azula and storm veil, and to this day there are faggots wondering if they did their playthrough wrong or if they missed some essential experience by using or not using stuff, its just an awful game, action wise its extremely slow and underwhelming and rpg wise you have to actually avoid using 50% of the stuff you find or else the game just breaks down and becomes just a punching bag simulator

it's okay, morrowind's combat challenged your preconceptions and you've never felt that way before because modern AAA gaming has spoiled you. but one day your tastes will mature and you will learn to see games for what they really are

played through this again last september. it was really underwhelming after beating the fighters/mage guilds.

Have you retards never played an rpg before?
Most Dungeon Crawlers work this way

I really hated the view and the way the controls were setup in this game so i ditched it. it sucks cause i was really getting into the story. is there any mods out there that fix the clunk?

are the daedric quests good?

They are soulslike games. Whether you consider that a subgenre of RPGs is entirely up to you, but saying they're invalid because they aren't something they don't claim to be is completely retarded

Attached: 1620443728247.gif (250x134, 1.16M)

only possible on OpenMW, and unofficial engine. try that vanilla and get your shit wrecked autist

They're okay. They're pretty much all boss fights/dungeon crawls apart from Sheogorath's which is pretty funny.

if your reaction to RPG combat is "ugh so cringe and outdated" you need to leave Yea Forums

>I'd give it a chance if the RPG progression involved more than going from missing all attacks to missing none. It's braindead as hell. At least you get active powers to use in games like Baldur's Gate and Kotor (both of which are purer RPGs than Morrowind) but in Morrowind your character's skills just determine accuracy and chance to cast spells
if you start by missing all attacks you failed to create a proper character or you emptied out your stamina