Why are modern fighting games so dull?

why are modern fighting games so dull?

Attached: ranmafighterz.png (256x224, 30.43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tSU4RgCKr18
youtu.be/rXQQYL2BeHc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Overdesigned to appeal to e sports tourneyfags. It feels like every button, every interaction was all pre planned by the devs. Matches don't have the free flowing pace of older games.

1. Nobody cared about old fighting games back in the day, that's why they stopped making your OC Scrimblo Bimblo and the Loveable Scrunkos Fighter. If they did, people would've bought them and played them.
2. Nobody cares about fighting games today.

pretty much, I got bored really fast of SF5 and Strive because they felt monotonous and overall boring to play.
I'll take an unbalanced but fun fighting game over a balanced but boring fighter.

The funny part is Hard Battle is actually a generic SF clone made cynically from a licence to make money. It's the opposite of soul.

Because the FGC caused it to homogenise

Overbalanced formulaic mass products, designed for the tourney scene. Even though 90% never even get close to that level.
Just visually they are utterly boring. In older games you had stuff like Gen'An, Gon or Kusaregedo, nowadays it's all the same 4 humanoid archetypes copy pasted. They often don't even have any themes. All that distinguishes them from each other are some details in their meta and game plan.

Attached: kusare pedo.jpg (1280x720, 163.22K)

for me, it's grabblers

Attached: 1641193779922.webm (960x540, 2.94M)

They just all imitate street fighter 2
>it's not zangief, it's cornbeef!

This, I loved all the wacky and over the top characters they used to include in fighting games, arcana heart was really good at this.

Attached: 645179.jpg (1600x900, 600.87K)

>They just all imitate street fighter 2
that's the point

>arcana heart
But user, the rostr is just some anime lolis over and over...

Yeah but they are not just normal lolis punching and kicking, you have one in a mecha, other fight in a slime and other uses a drawing to fight that the stuff I was refering to.

>then
>play a game just because it's fun, because you spend so much time playing with it, you decide to "compete" just to give yourself an excuse to spend more time playing this game you enjoy

>now
>game is designed to be "competitive" by the devs themselves, you only play it because it's the one you're "supposed to play" because it's the latest one

This applies to more genres than fighting games while we're on the topic.

Shut up nigger

And that's a good thing! Here is why.

Attached: 1629524745.png (345x495, 109.49K)

old fighting games
>how do we make a moveset for a dog
>uh it uses a sonic bark as a projectile and it can attack using paw swipe, its tail and bites
>anything involving stupid shit like framedata and the like is just up to the dev's content

new fighting games
>how do we make a moveset for a dog
>well it has a a paw swipe that's +2 on block, a crouching tail sweep thats intangible, fast and allows oki, a standing HS claw swipe that starts juggles, cancels into anything and its safe on block and 236D that is unsafe but be dominant in netplay
>also has a sonic bark projectile but its completely worthless because zoning = bad unless the character is dlc
>oh and save some ideas for season pass 1 dlc #2, Dog (Borf Mode)

wtf what happened to her penis???

>sf5
>this character is trying to be a certain "kit" so it needs to have X Y and Z tools, but it can't do A because that's against the design rules for this game

>sf2
>haha sumo wrestler sits on you

but this is chougi ranbu hen, hard battle had weird smash-like inputs iirc

because you never played fighting games in the first place but saw some SF4 era esport videos and wondered why you couldnt experience that.

because you are bitchmade and don't deserve anything better

youtube.com/watch?v=tSU4RgCKr18
kino

I love when zoomers harken back to things they've never experienced with some unearned sense of nostalgia.
Nobody bought most old fighting games, and they stopped making them. Almost nobody in this thread has played even SF2 in an arcade for example. I have, and I'm 37. I barely remember it.
People said "Bring back fighting games," but they didn't really buy them besides a few exceptional and popular games.
People said, "Give them online," and they did, and consequently, people complained about balance, and thus every character needed perfect kit and a feasible chance against every character.
The people who destroyed fighting games are those who wanted them back in the first place.

youtu.be/rXQQYL2BeHc
Don't forget to buy this if you don't want Darkstalker to die

Ahem. Fuck the FGC

Old fighting games had frame data and unblockables and all that competitive design too. Just see all the good players on SF2/SFA2 fightcade. Easiest example I can think of is Claw 50/50s.

pushback and all buttons being cancellable into specials or being safe on block makes exact framedata rather useless

Attached: A7D2C766-BB50-4CA7-B8AD-5C5DE7DA053D.jpg (1536x2048, 855.31K)

>pushback and all buttons being cancellable into specials or being safe on block makes exact framedata rather useless
imagine talking like that...fucking nerds lmao..

user please
please

Attached: EINsDNjWkAAyttU.jpg (640x640, 91.66K)

the competitive aspect wasn't the main appeal, yes they had complex stuff and all the fancy shit but the main appeal was seeing different movesets or designs that clicked with you.

What's a fighting game that
>has immense soul and fantastic graphics
>actually good and fun gameplay
>relies on skill instead of gimmicks like arcsys shit
>has a good community
>good netcode
>every character is legitimately viable
>one that hasn't succumbed to globohomo garbage

Attached: f974f9367748b3f3ea39d586721466fa.png (560x850, 456.9K)

kys

I'm sorry you're gay

Attached: 8fd90d82a54fd060e2803122fd64357b~2.jpg (396x755, 61.67K)

Actually read my list
You'd think there be heaps of games in this supposedly amazing genre that fit the bill, but no recs so far.
Fighting games were one of the worst memes I've ever endured, at least some of the music was good

Ask me how I know you've never touched a fighting game

That's always been the case for every fighting game (even new ones). Typically you'll stick with the one you like the animations and voice lines the most even if you're still getting bodied by vets

The state of Yea Forums, I cant even write absolute because its just that bad now

KOF98 and 2K2 on fightcade or XV

do it lad

The REAL answer is the internet's ease of access to information. No matter how much tech a game has, 80% of it will be found within the first month, and any patch will be mined of new tech within a week. This compounds with patch notes and fighting games being designed with an intent instead of just giving characters some moves and calling it a day like many 90s fighters did. There will ALWAYS be new tech even for 10+ year old games as metas shift, but because of how fast things are found and shared, people think that modern games are inherently more shallow between that and things like easier inputs and larger buffers.

There's no doubt that some modern games have added casual-friendly design decisions, and sometimes these things will skew the meta in a negative way, but in many instances it's overblown. If you've ever called a game that's less than 1-2 years old (or been less than a year since its most recent major balance patch) "solved" you're retarded.

Attached: 1438280168193.jpg (230x230, 61.77K)

UMvC3 is all of these except the good netcode but the Parsec community for it is strong. Also I guess Hsien-Ko, Ryu, & She-Hulk aren't very viable.

>still no cvs2
why live

I'm still sad that robo missed his chance

lol just lmao

Is Akane's high low mixup true 50:50? Because that's bullshit and I love it.

I think he has a small chance in Strive if it hits Season 3 or 4 but I'm not holding my breath. I would accept a Robo-Sin with Robo-Ky's head hovering next to him.

Attached: 1438286231535.jpg (600x853, 156.18K)

t. Posts SteamCharts screencaps in fighting game threads as if they "own" people who like the game.

What the fuck is this schizo gibberish?

It's a common shitpost in modern fighting game threads. People will post concurrent player numbers of Game A being less than some other more popular game, or less than Game A's launch window, and use this as evidence that the game sucks.

You posted one of the worse.

Modern fighting games need more boys that transform into a hot redhead

Soul and every character being legitimately viable don't go together. Universal character viability is a product of frequent patches and is only seen in modern games at the end of their lifespan if ever.
If you can accept most games have 1-3 garbage characters there's plenty of pre-esports fighting games that fit all those requirements dependent on your tastes. Capcom and SNK made a myriad of games in the 80s and 90s that are great fun and most of the popular ones surprisingly balanced.

The soul is the most important part, but I just get frustrated when there's some cool character but turns out they're garbage and not viable.

fighting game devs used to not think. that's why old fighting games were so good. they were all happy little accidents. then capcom ate the forbidden fruit and were cursed with knowledge just as they started making street fighter IV. no longer their former innocent selfs, the turned to game design and battle planning. it was truly the fall of fighting game devkind.

>bro i used to love fighting games before they added frame data

I think a dev that understand how to design a fighting game and then knowing when to stop thinking and go "make it cool" is how the best fighting games are made though. This is why 8ing is my favorite fighting game dev, because they make a really simple but solid mechanical basis and then turn their brains off when they come up with the characters' tools. This is visible from Bloody Roar through their many budget licensed games to TvC/Marvel 3 to even DNF Duel.

sf2 clones are much more exciting than sf4/sf5 clones.
like every game now just has cinemas and random shit to try to make the game easier but it just ends up hurting the game.

Attached: advanced variable geo 2.png (878x696, 96.16K)

It was really common to make joke characters shit and overbalance (or under) characters with unique mechanics because the devs had no fucking clue how they would play, I'd recommend being willing to pick up a secondary or try lots of characters before locking in. Unless the game is completely braindead there will be a skill allowance (becauae old games can actually be hard) for a good player with a bad character to dumpster a new player with a top tier character.

faggot

I'm new in fighting games but MKX has Ferr/Tor and INJ2 has Gorilla Grodd.

Online faggots don't want to fight they just want to win and rank up

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????