Elden ring lore thread

Discuss Elden Ring lore

Attached: 1649891255887.jpg (480x270, 22.15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.4channel.org/v/thread/595518248/
youtube.com/watch?v=DYDs_Inzkz4&t=1280s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Rogier:
>It happened during the Golden Age of the Erdtree, long before the shattering of the Elden Ring. Someone stole a fragment of the Rune of Death from Maliketh, the Black Blade. And on a bitter night, murdered Godwyn the Golden. That was the first recorded Death of a demigod in all history. And it became the catalyst. Soon, the Elden Ring was smashed, and thus sprang forth the war known as the shattering.
Rogier either directly contradicts himself with his first and last sentence, or the precedence of one of the events disconnects which would mean Ranni or Marika waited a very long time to to kill godwyn/break the elden ring

Then there are these:
Black Knifeprint:
>On the Night of the Black Knives, someone stole a fragment of Death from Maliketh, the Black Blade, and imbued its power into the assassins' daggers.
Maliketh's Black Blade:
>After a fragment of Death was stolen on that fateful night, Maliketh bound the blade within his own flesh, such that none might ever rob Death again.

Which claim that the assassination happened on the same night the rune of death is stolen, which means:

Which means one of the following:
>Rogier is an unreliable narrator
>Rogier dialogue is fucked up
>Knifeprint and Maliketh's Black Blade descriptions are fucked up
>Marika waited +100 years to shatter the elden ring

(1/3)

Attached: Elden-Ring-Rogier.png (640x360, 177.25K)

From a moon-rune user:

the rune of death was stolen and the assassinations took place during the same night, multiple items and dialogue proves this. As for Rogier's dialogue:

>[325022000] ストームヴィルの地下にあった、異形の躯ですか
>[325022010] …あれは遺物なのですよ。黒き刃の陰謀、そう呼ばれる凶刃の夜の
>[325022020] 古い黄金樹の盛期、まだエルデンリングが砕ける前
>[325022030] 何者かが、黒き剣のマリケスから死のルーンの欠片を盗み
>[325022040] 冷たい夜に、黄金のゴッドウィンを弑したのです
>[325022050] それは、歴史上はじめてのデミゴッドの死であり
>[325022060] エルデンリングが砕け、破砕戦争が起こる、その切欠になったと言われています

>古い黄金樹の盛期、まだエルデンリングが砕ける前
"The prosperous time of the old erdtree, before the elden ring was shattered."

This doesn't seem to really say it happened "long before the shattering of the ring", it just says it took place before the shattering of the ring (which by definition would be the prosperous period i believe?)

>[325022050] それは、歴史上はじめてのデミゴッドの死であり
>[325022060] エルデンリングが砕け、破砕戦争が起こる、その切欠になったと言われています

This text has no mention of "soon", it just states that it was the first demigod in history to die. Then it was that the death was catalyst for the elden ring being smashed and the shattering war occuring.

Meaning that the translation of Rogier's text is totally fucked.

(2/3)

Attached: KNIFE.png (844x633, 272.94K)

>Rogier either directly contradicts himself
and so does the game, but you still discuss it for 500+ posts over and over

From Bandai Namco site:
>One grim night in the depths of winter, a flock of unknown assassins stole across the Lands Between.
>In a coetaneous attack, this foul covenant snuffed out the lives of many of the God-Queen’s kin throughout the empire, too numerous and too scattered for her godly protection to save.
>The assassins’ targets were multifold, but none was as devastating a loss to the Eternal Queen as that of Godwyn the Golden. After his death, the Elden Ring was somehow shattered, and the order of the world broke with it.

From the intro:
>Soon Marika's offspring, Demigods all, claimed the shards of the Elden Ring. The mad taint of their newfound strength triggered the Shattering

All of this suggests that:
Stolen Rune of Death -> Godwyn Death -> Marika Destroys the Elden ring -> Demigods claim the shards -> The Shattering
All happen relatively in short-order to one another

I've also found another shitty dialogue translation from Seluvis:

English Text:
>But long ago, General Radahn challenged the swirling constellations, and in a crushing victory, arrested their cycles.
Jap text:
>だが、かつて将軍ラダーンが流れる星に立ち向かい、打ち砕いたとき、星の動きは封じられた
Translated Jap text:
>However, when General Radan once confronted the flowing stars and shattered them, the movement of the stars was blocked.

Frognation literally just adds "a long time ago" in places where they simply do not belong throughout all the npc dialogues. Which is probably why Vaati has a totally fucked up timeline of events.

3/3

Maybe smashed in this context means the start of it getting hammered and shattering (until it completely exploded) the ring itself took a long time?

Native of the the Lands Between?
Foreign creatures?
Aliens?

Attached: 1649936002760.jpg (800x600, 137.83K)

GW enthusiasts

if these games actually bothered setting concrete dates to these events, then things would be more clear-cut. all we know for certain is that
>Stolen Rune of Death -> Godwyn Death -> Marika Destroys the Elden ring -> Demigods claim the shards -> The Shattering
happens before we enter the picture

>Vaati literally quotes this guy's paragraph 3-4 times as his primary source for when he sets up the precedence of events in ER,
>He is quoting a mistranslation

Attached: c28.png (996x868, 598.86K)

Why would GW enthusiasts perform live @ Miquella's Haligtree?

So Godwyn dying was a really last straw for Marika. Thanks for confirming.

*was really the last straw

>Rogier is an unreliable narrator
Rogier is not a narrator

>Rogier is an unreliable source of information
fixed, mkay?

So Ranni supported Radahn during the shattering apparently. I just talked to Jerren about Iji, which is a piece of dialogue that I skipped during my first playthrough, and he said that Iji made weapons for Radahn's army. Something along of the lines of
>His swords were always blunt, but not one of them decayed when faced with the scarlet rot
Iji has known and presumably worked for Ranni since his childhood, so I doubt he just started making weapons for Radahn without her approval.

He is literally narrating the events to you, dumb ESL.

Attached: narrator.jpg (940x379, 67.38K)

Why is D so against those who live in death when every Tarnished is a zombie.
>referred to as the dead who yet live in opening
Marika words
>ye will be driven from the Lands Between. Ye will wage war in a land afar, where ye will live, and die.
>Then, after thy death, I will give back what I once claimed.
>Return to the Lands Between, wage war, and brandish the Elden Ring.
>Grow strong in the face of death. Warriors of my lord. Lord Godfrey.

i mean, he does state as much when he talks to you about it, citing a lack of information about the night it happened, which was why he directed you to Ranni in the first place.

melina says that tarnished contradict the golden order, so the tarnished are probably undead as well

Jerren also sounds pretty chill with Ranni's gang when you side with him during Sellen's quest, hearing from Iji that Ranni found a new champion (You).

frenzy flame made everyone mad. simple as. the end.

It’s like saying Captain Underpants is an unreliable narrator. He’s not the narrator, he’s a character.

Marika's words =/= Golden Order. A lot of Marika's quotes are more indicative of her character than necessarily anything to do with the tenets held by the Golden Order.

Jerren worked for the Carians before working for Radahn didn't he? He knows that killing Radahn will make Ranni's destiny continue, as he tells the player to mention that to Iji as a way to entice him to help kill Radahn.

Unreliable narrator absolutely works in this case because Rogier is one of the only few characters to give expository info on the shattering. His account lays the basic premise of the story for the main character without having full context of the plot details.
>He’s not the narrator, he’s a character.
Being a character doesn't mean you can't be an unreliable narrator user, especially when said character ends up relaying events to the viewer with limited information or a biased point of view.

How long was Marika planning to go against the GW? I herd the Radagon split was to shake it's influence and banishing Godfrey was also part of the plan.

The item descriptions of the Crucible armor indicate the Erdtree was likely formed out of the Crucible by the Greater Will through the Elden Beast/Ring. It would make sense that Crucible knights would serve the first lord as the Erdtree was being formed, and their symbols later come to be despised because the Crucible was not under the Golden Order.

That always confused me. The Crucible became one of the most hated things in the Lands Between, but it's actually just an archaic Erdtree.

Vaati is wrong.

Attached: 1649765936720.jpg (2480x3473, 3.15M)

He can be unreliable, but he’s not a narrator just because he’s a character who’s also an in-universe historian

It's because the crucible is chaotic, but was shaped into the orderly form of the Erdtree. The point of the golden order is ORDER out of chaos. A god creating order out of chaos is a common motif of creation myths.

The crucible made the "great" tree, which was not the erdtree. Then the elden beast came along, did something to the great tree, and it became the erdtree. The crucible knights served the great tree, not the greater will.

No. The Greatree is the same thing as the Erdtree. This is explained in this thread:
boards.4channel.org/v/thread/595518248/

youtube.com/watch?v=DYDs_Inzkz4&t=1280s
Seriously, jump to 21:20, shit's totally fucked.
He goes on to say that the shattering didn't break out after Marika smashed the elden ring and Malenia/Miquella weren't born yet.

user, being an unreliable narrator doesn't just mean literally being the story's narrator, it can also cover characters who relay a series of events/story to the viewer with a compromised view. Any character can be an unreliable narrator if they give expository dialogue that informs the viewer of a series of key events in the story unless said character's position/role in the story is treated as gospel.

So every character who gives information in Elden Ring (which is basically all of them) is a narrator?

Who the FUCK was torrents former master

What happened to Eochaid, and what will happen when Miquella wakes up?

The myrmidon of horse

Maybe Radagon ? That would explain why Ranni recognizes him and, with the assumption that Melina was created by Marika, would explain how Melina got the whistle ring

>So every character who gives information in Elden Ring (which is basically all of them) is a narrator?
Except not every information in ER is about relaying events to the player in the form of an exposition. Some of them are purely used to build the lore of the world, others are literally just interacting with you about their own hangups. Also unreliable narrator is a literary phrase used to describe narrations with limited knowledge or a compromised view. Please learn some English.

Again, read what I said in the first place:
>Rogier is one of the only few characters to give expository info on the shattering. His account lays the basic premise of the story for the main character without having full context of the plot details.

Twlid have no consciousness, no soul.

>He goes on to say that the shattering didn't break out after Marika smashed the elden ring
I'm not giving Vaati any views, but there's nothing wrong with assuming that there was a period of time between Marika smashing the Elden Ring and The Shattering happened. It makes sense for a variety of reasons. The only thing that is iffy is Malenia and Miquella not being born yet. I'm assuming he thinks that because they were born with "defects" that he either attributes to incest (assuming that Radagon and Marika only began fusing together after the ER was shattered) or the ER being shattered at the time of their birth, which affected them.

Does Greyoll have any purpose yet aside from hearts and breaths?

What the fuck are the tenets of the golden order

many runes

>finally get to Ranni's Rise
>I AM RANNI THE WITCH, I STOLE THE RUNE OF DEATH
>I WOULD UPEND AND DESTROY THE WHOLE WORLD
>WANNA SERVE ME?
kek, no
people really do only take her questline because she's cute huh?

>Eochaid
Who?

>when he wakes up?
We are the one who is gonna wake him up in his dreamland. His body is a cadaver.

idc I am GOING to have a tism fit next time someone does this again. “Unreliable orator” is more fitting.

>Marika was distraught over Miquella's disappearance according to Gideon
>doesn't do anything about it despite the kidnapper being her own son

Marika is a retarded whore.

Various lore bits spread throughout the game give an idea, but the point remains: Tarnished aren't viewed in a positive light by the Golden Order. The term "tarnished" is literally used to describe something that's discolored or lost its luster/shine. It's why Marika's quotes are treated as story revelations, since it infers how Marika started doubting the Golden Order and even viewed Radagon in a negative light.

He is basing his theory off the supposed time-gap in Rogier's story, which isn't real.

>he didn’t go to her after talking with based Rogier
ngmi

>create Golden Order by confining Destined Death
>start doubting it after
is this the fabled BPD women have?

Yeah I'm not using a fucking guide I'm just exploring around

Sounds like she simply doesn't know what happened to Miquella. Compare that to Godwyn who was found murdered.

Elemer's homeland, described as a long-lost domain whose inhabitants possessed some sort of Arcane-centric magic which enabled their blades to move the way his does, telekinetically. Next to nothing is described about the place to my knowledge outside the flavor text of his greatsword and the Regalia sword. I found it rather interesting that both "Elemer" and "Eochaid" were also proper Old English and Middle Irish names, respectively.

GW probably created Radagon out of her (reverse Adam and Eve) to bring Carians into the fold and make him a perfect Elden Lord once Godfrey's purpose was fulfilled. Godfrey was meant to kill GW's enemies and once that was done they told Marika to throw away potentially dangerous enemy of theirs and decided to replace him with their loyal lap dog that was also part Marika. Marika though grew to actually care about Godfrey and she decided to do her own thing and get him to come back so he and his Tarnished brandish the Elden Ring to free her and themselves of GW. Basically it's possible that Marika wanted to be free of GW because she wanted to be with Godfrey. But the part where she was crucified was most likely not planned.

>female half loses faith and decides to break shit
>male half remains firm in his beliefs and tries to fix things
Haha yeah...

Attached: Radagonportrait4.jpg (1280x720, 98.67K)

Basic chronology:
Primordial age age of the dragons Golden age of the Erdtree Age of the shattering

The shattering has gone on for a very long while at this point, most likely hundreds or even thousands of years.

During the primordial age, various lifeforms sprang out of the crucible. The strongest of these were the dragons. This would be supported by the 3 crucible incantations all being dragon related. Thus came the age of the dragons. The crucible still exists during this age. Eventually the Greater Will sends down the Elden Beast which shapes the Crucible into the orderly form of the Erdtree. A war is waged (against various factions, including the Dragons) to ensure the supremacy of the Golden Order.

The frenzied flame, at least as told by Hyetta, opposses the separation of life into different forms that happened after the primordial age. However, it seems like the frenzied flame ending actually results in the extinction of all life.

Radahn was likely something of a loyal servent to the Golden Order, so he held up the Stars to prevent competing cosmic forces from landing in the Lands Between (the greater will is one such cosmic force, as is clear from Elden Stars description). Malenia on the other hand wanted to break free of the influence of the greater will, along with her brother.