What is about this game that doesn't feel as fun to play as previous Smash entries?

What is about this game that doesn't feel as fun to play as previous Smash entries?

Attached: SmashSP0.png (480x287, 297.63K)

Wait, it was called Special in Japan?

It's not that there are too many characters. But there are too many nothing characters that are outdone by other characters with identical kits. I have every character unlocked/bought and found myself last night watching Project+ videos "ooh"ing and "ah"ing at a roster less than half of what smash ultimate has.

Nothing. It's the most enjoyable to play in the series.

Lack of jumping momentum. Shit hitstun so comboing. Fucked DI. It's not fun to play.

Subpar single player modes. World of Light fucking sucks

100ms input lag

That's not Brawl.
>Needed a mod to make it remotely playable.

It's the best one by far. God I hate smeleefaggots and their thinly veiled shitposting.

Attached: file.png (242x210, 70.45K)

GSP. It would’ve been better if they brought back for fun and for glory.

This game rules, you’re just not a kid anymore.

All based

It's the 2nd most souless smash gameplay wise. It just shoved too much shit into one game and expected it all to just mesh together despite everything clashing immensely. The competitive aspect of this game is a joke and nobody wants to play it because of it's stupid jank interactions and god awful match ups.

Thats not even mentioning it's terrible online.

horrible, horrible input buffering and input lag
movement feeld like the characters are running through muddy water
terrible netcode and online mode filled with the worst kind of people
GSP
80% of the cast is downright obnoxious and not fun to fight against
fuck that shitty cinematic zoom-in, the balloon knockback and long-ass hitstop

>Jank interactions
>God awful matchups
I'm not disagreeing but the netcode is far more egregious. I bought one of those fucking Ethernet adapters but that doesn't magically make all the Brazilian wifi shitters suddenly more playable

It's not Smash 64.

The single player is dogshit.
>World of Light is just the old Challenge Mode stretched out for WAY too long
>Spirit Board is just more WoL
>everyone having their own unique Classic layout sounds like a cool idea but it makes replaying them feel boring and pointless since you’re gonna be fighting the exact same guys every time
>absolute shit selection for Stadium, it’s just Mob Smash and Home Run Contest (seriously they bring back Race To The Finish and yet throw a couple of extra layouts and add it to the Stadium for variety?)
>Spirits are INCREDIBLY lame, even ignoring the fact they’re all just PNGs, they have no descriptions at all which means collecting them lame, and a lot of the effects are either really situational or barely noticeable which makes using them lame
And before you say
>Well, it’s a party game, you’re supposed to play it with friends
That’s true BUT you can’t have a party all the time so it helps at least something to keep you interested during those down times.
>But what about online?
That would only have been a viable replacement for single play content if Nintendo’s online wasn’t such hot garbage

The hype hit a brick wall when the new character reveals were garbage picks like Isabelle, Incineroar, Piranha Plant, Byleth, Min Min, and Kazuya.

No cinematic sub space type of mode.

Winner

Needs more single player modes and less catering to compfags who refuse to play anything but Melee

The eternally seething rosterfag

Attached: k.jpg (584x589, 52.88K)

It's literally this.
OP is in that awkward part of gaming time where they're too cool for Nintendo/kiddie games.

Less single player content and worse online than Smash 4 that you have to pay for. Also they nerfed Bayonetta way too much.

Because it's a Special entry because it has all the characters in it. Honestly I think it's a pretty cool name.

Kazuya is a legacy character from an iconic as fuck series thats almost 30 years old and is also one of the most in depth and well made characters in Ultimate on top of being incredibly unique in his playstyle, Even different from the Shotos or Terry. You Smashfags are still fucking butt hurt because even inputing a fucking hadoken filters you morons.

One of the selling points of casual fun was the item matches. The ones in this game are somehow more obnoxious than smash 4. Spawn rates feel fucked and unbalanced even on low and the items themselves feel very over powered. I legitimately enjoyed pokeballs and assist trophies, but I feel like they added too many that overstay their welcome and don't really offer a proper way to dodge them. 64 had pokeballs figured out 100% since they felt more like an brief environmental hazard rather than something that has the potential to take 2 (3 if you're really unlucky) stocks. I find myself playing more 1v1s with no items on more generic stages because instead of getting more good transitioning maps like halberd, pokefloats or defino plaza we get shitty returning maps that have no right to exist like that 75m, Hanebow, or distant planet. Functionally I think this is the best smash yet, but I hate how shitty the pool of stages and items are along with there not being a whole lot of game modes available for single or online play.

I agree with everything but
>Kazuya
He was the best FP2 character, with Sephiroth being a close second.

Kazuya absolute sucks because on top of being overly obtuse to use (pretty much going against Smash’s design philosophy), Sakurai’s loss with him proves that a purely up-close fighter will absolutely get demolished in anything that isn’t just tourneyfagging 1v1 on flat stages. At least Terry and the shotos have good projectiles and mobility making them decent in big arena stages with items flying all over. Kazuya was a mistake added solely because of Bandai Namco.

>hurrr y me no like [specific entry]
Because you're biased toward another one.

This, along with a complete particle overload. It's impossible to see what you're doing in this game in casual matches.

This is my biggest complaint. Why go through all that effort to make online worse than the previous games. Arenas don't solve anything as you spend the majority of the time sitting there waiting for your turn to come up.

>he doesn't make his own custom rule sets for all of his favorate characters to unleash their potential in fun games
Not everything has to work on everything, make up your own fun with these, the game is a complete toybox

I like it a lot more than Brawl and 4, but I think there's a vast number of minor annoying things that all add up to an irritating experience for a large number of players. Some examples:

- Rather than have stocks in Classic mode, you have a single life and have to pay coins or tickets to come back to life. This feels shittier for the player, while also making them feel more under pressure. Should be able to select number of stocks.

- Quickplay is incredibly frustrating for most players, primarily because of Sakurai attempting to reinvent the wheel with GSP rather than using a standard elo rating system. The much joked about For Fun and For Glory was actually a better system.

- Elite Smash status can be lost, and immediately if you lose right after entering it. Again, shitty for the player, and makes them stop playing elite as soon as they enter it.

- No Classic mode for Miis. Very minor complaint, but if you paid for a Sans costume you shouldn't be limited to World of Light + Mob Smash for single player options to play with it.

- Can't give each player more or less stocks in Smash. Can't have differently sized teams in Tagteam battles, it's 3v3 or 5v5. (also can't be played online)

- No Hazards is set in Rules and not a button option when selecting stages.

- Rules cannot be copied and edited, they have to all be made from scratch. You also have to create rulesets seperately for Smash, Tournaments and Tagteam battles, can't copy between them.

- The fucking Ready To Battle message covering up the character select when every player has selected an option.

- No special rewards for taking part in the weekly tournaments. Should've offered something unique for taking part even if it was just "Placed 1st in This Tourney on This Date" to your milestones list.

- Switching characters and stage options in arenas REALLY needs to be done within them with some kind of basic dropdown text menus and not having you exit the arena to the character select.

The definitive example of quantity > quality. It's a good time when playing regular matches with friends, but that's most if not all of the enjoyment you'll ever get from it, because there's little else to do with that impressive roster.

The fact that the roster has become indiscriminate to the point of trashiness.

It's a reference to Fatal Fury, the games with all previous characters in had the Special subtitule.

I saw a tournament the other day and a Kazuya was in the top 4.

i've had more fun with ultimate than i've had with melee/brawl/4 combined. game is extremely polished compared to the others, it's just a shame that online play is completely dogshit

Ruining All-Star mode will always make me mad.

Terrible gamefeel and

Which smash game has the best character select screen?

Attached: character select.jpg (3840x1392, 1.81M)

>demolished in anything that isn’t just tourneyfagging 1v1 on flat stages.
That's why he's great for tournaments if you actually try.

design wise I'll take 64
roster wise maybe brawl or 4

Remove Kazuya and replace him with Joker and you're correct. In fact, Kazuya should have been the first one revealed where he drops off PP in the volcano as a in joke over how much it made the fanbase seethe.

wtf is bottom left

One more thing that drives me up the wall:

Getting a NICE PLAY in a Classic mode match generally means ending the match in about 10 seconds without getting hit, or as close to that as possible. Repeatedly getting NICE PLAYs is vital for actually hitting 9.9 at the end of your run. Really takes the fun out of matches being forced to play them like that.

Melee and Brawl mainly by virtue of it actually sorting characters into series rather than Smash inclusion release dates. Smash 4/Ultimate has the worst character select in just about any game in the past several years. Not only is it hard to find who you want unless you commit the entire thing to memory but that fucking giant READY TO BATTLE banner blocks your fucking view.

For me it's the most fun I ever had with smash.

>most characters
>most modes
>biggest variety in stages, music, etc
It's a dream come true. It feels like a homage not just to Nintendo but games in general.

Granted, I'm not a "competitive Smash" guy and only ever play solo or with friends/local.

>doesnt feel as fun to play as previous entries
>when brawl and 4 exist
Truly these zoomers are worse than hitler

Working your way up to hard mode is unironically one of the most retarded things in the game. It would make sense if you permanently unlocked the higher intensities, but you have to start at 5.0 every single time.

All the previous smash games at least seemed like it was trying to be organized putting characters within the same game close to each other. Not sure why they threw that out when ultimate came out but it causes me to have to scan over the list a few times to find certain characters.

>muh jump momentum
right, because falcon should be able to combo knee into itself. retard.
>shit hitstun so comboing
you're complaining the game has combos? What the fuck? You're too daft to realize that even faster airspeed would mean more combos right? That's why smelee plays 4 stocks. Surely you didn't mean to type that Ult LACKS combos, right? It strikes a perfect balance unlike brawl (no combos) and melee (die off 1 hit), while being more polished and jank-free than tr4sh.
>fucked DI
completely functional and useful for mixing up the comboer. Interactive disadvantage at its best.
your post reeks

no freedom in terms of combos and movement and characters reach the apex of their jump arc way to fast some instant

please remove the DLC characters and Sonic

ive been playing smash since 64 and i had more fun with 4 than with ultimate

>Lack of jumping momentum
this will always be my main gripe.

is essentially the 3rd time you are playing Brawl

Brawl was the last game that added new mechanics even if not as much as Melee
>Footstools
>movement options crawling, gliding(sadly cut), ladder climbing and swimming
>moving and shooting with items
>Final Smash giving everyone a super
not to mention the SSE was an actual major campaign although it kinda suck it was something

then you are playing Brawl the second time with 4U adding fuck all new mechanics, likewise Ultimate, hell people thought it was a 4U port at first and if theres IS a new mechanic, too bad is tied to a fighter like Kazuya having a powerstep, a mechanic that everyone could've had, so theres really no reason to even play these game if you don't care for the newcomers(rosterfag will find this crazy), meanwhile Brawl gave you a reason to get to see hyped vets again thinking what cool final smash would they have

Attached: 1648092888179.jpg (960x960, 108.19K)

64 is the most appealing to look at, all the rest varying degrees of meh. That one Brawl mod with the purple galaxy looking background was nice too.

every game aside from 64 has a large "ready to battle" banner that appears after everyone has selected a character(with the exact message varying). You shouldn't be trying to find who you are playing if you have already selected a character bringing the fucking message up, what a nonissue.

blocking as a mechanic is very weak and unresponsive
the delay for unshielding is massively punishing and forces every player to mash some jump move oos every single time because most characters have few or no moves at all on the ground that are both fast and safe
hit sounds are atrocious
stupid camera cuts
faggot characters like cuck hunt, pac man, min min etc.

its certainly better than brawl and tr4sh but nothing will come close to the raw speed of melee

Something I don't like about Classic mode is that you can't restart at the beginning without going back to the select screen first. I love the idea of themed classic routes, so I hope they bring it back for the next game while fixing these minor issues.And replacing the black hole bonus stage.
I'll say Brawl or 64.

I find it funny how they got Classic mode right only twice, in Melee and 3DS, and then never again.

I also find it extra funny how Adventure mode is not only the best single player mode and also only in Melee.

>roster wise
ultimate literally has every character ever

>doesn't play with other people

Shut up shut-in.

How the fuck can anyone like Brawl's over PM's? Brawl is organized in such an ugly way and is visually unappealing in general.