Linux Gaming Thread

what video games have you been playing on your linux machine recently?

Attached: Tux_Classic_flat_look_3D.svg.png (1105x1280, 105.18K)

GAYNNUX THREAD
YAAAS
NOT VIDEOGAMES
YAAAAS

GAYNNUX THREAD
YAAAS
NOT VIDEOGAMES
YAAAAS

>wipe loonix partition on desktop
>install windows 10 mostly because of gaymes
>only use loonix on laptop
Couldn't be happier

Attached: 1649936498454.png (1341x1299, 771.21K)

Left IV Dead II

wish i could find people who like to play custom campaigns tho

Attached: 20220413032749_1.jpg (2560x1440, 513.34K)

someone explain the mesa-amber branch to me. i have a r9 290. from what i understand fro mesa-22 onward the mesa drivers are worthless to me because r200 drivers are not part of them anymore and i need to download mesa-amber drivers instead? so far i have failed to find this so called mesa-amber branch.

nice blogpost, troon. Get well soon.

don't know if this will be useful for anyone but i found why a lot of games dont work after alt tabbing
a lot of new games have a 'fullscreen' option that isn't actually fullscreen but just a shitty glorified windowed that doesn't work well with wine. to get actual fullscreen you need to find the exclusive fullscreen option and enable it.
maybe this was obvious but it took a long time for this retard to find out lol.

>no jak, no linux

Attached: 1644636237171.png (479x635, 119.97K)

Its not very freetarted of me but gnomes online account integration is.... kinda good. I got a google drive in nautilus that acts like a normal network drive (only keep password protected .7z's inside it natch).

whats sharty's position on GNU/Linux btw?

>r200 drivers are not part of them
I thought that referred to the old as fuck Radeon R200 series, not the new R9 200 series. The naming is pretty confusing.

oh damn. seems to be like that. thanks user

wayland is complete shit
i switched back on xorg, performance are much better
and i can confirm that since day one elden ring run better on linux than windows
kirby was a better game

Attached: 1414784270182.jpg (468x492, 65.68K)

>wayland is complete shit
works on my machine

lmao pic or gtfo cunt

same as last thread,DOOM and DRG.

I played it for the gnome achievement like a year ago and the gunplay has aged like milk, it's outright unpleasant
But even 10 years I dropped it for KF for the same reasons

I still don't know why Wayland is so important or what it really even is, or what advantages it's supposed to have over Xorg that makes everyone shit their fuck about it, I just know that it only works on either AMD GPUs or with the open source nvidia drivers that apparently aren't as advanced as the proprietary ones.

Attached: 1632996877211.png (1351x972, 132.45K)

Wtf

Wayland is important because it has proper multimonitor support, unlike Xorg.

Wayland is a meme

It's been 10 years and you can't even disable vsync.

...Oh damn, that's actually been a problem for me. But again, I use an Nvidia GPU so it wouldn't work well for me.

good security, removing hacks and stuff that bloat the systemn, proper multi dpi, multi screen, etc... really a lot of good ideas but shit is instable as hell except for
that need to fuck himself

Attached: dark_times.jpg (400x593, 106.75K)

X11 is a meme.

It's been 38 years and you can't even enable vsync if you have more than one monitor active.

fuck you

Lubuntu (LXDE) was my fave distro, the best balance of lightweight and retard-friendly, until they fucked it up.
Never did find anything to replace that in my old piece of junk so I'm gaming on my Win 10 work laptop exclusively, sigh.

Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart

good
i never use vsync

enjoy obnoxious tearing and a literal unfixable keylogger

Why did an user on /g/ call xfce a virus?

I've practically never seen my screens tear
use a 165hz and a 120hz set of monitors
perhaps my hardware has always been too good to have any tearing
as for the keylogger: point me to the available port its using that is also allowed through my firewall :^)

Who cares what some schizo thinks? People arbitrarily call things "bloat" if its one byte over their size they determined for themselves.

PuppyLinux or Alpine.

If you don't get tearing that means you have vsync enabled.

I don't
disable it in every game, always have (also on winblows)

That means either the compositor or the drivers are doing vsync.

I have extreme screen tearing whenever I hook my laptop up to a TV via HDMI and I try and use ani-cli under xorg, it makes stuff almost unwatchable at times, but because my laptop and my desktop use nvidia GPUs I'm kinda stuck with it unless I want to compromise even further on performance by using Noveau instead of proprietary

>what video games have you been playing on your linux machine recently?
Wreckfest mostly.

Attached: 2022-04-01-182008_1920x1200_scrot.png (1920x1200, 2.69M)

I have no compositor running
using i3 without one added on top

Then you must have it enabled in the drivers.

I would have no idea where it would be in the Nvidia X Server Settings to enable it system-wide
I can run games above vsync and the monitor values games grab can vary, so it definitely isn't doing it consistently if at all :^)

here's a pic for reference, primary monitor

Attached: 2022-04-14-16:14:33-screenshot.png (344x290, 18.89K)

On nshitia the setting is called Force (Full) Composition Pipeline.
>I can run games above vsync and the monitor values games grab can vary, so it definitely isn't doing it consistently if at all :^)
Driver-level vsync doesn't limit the game's framerate.

I don't have this option enabled

Attached: 2022-04-14-16:16:57-screenshot.png (383x87, 8.86K)

the full one on the far right is also unchecked but still, not enabled for either monitor
I also don't use nvidia's driver UI to set my display settings as I use xrandr to do so in my i3 config

Then you must be literally blind.
Screen tearing isn't subtle in the slightest, unless you're running every game at 1000+ fps.

Stick to your containment board

nope, just never have bad performance

I'm sorry there isn't enough variations of wojak and coomer bait in this thread and that this is people actually talking about something in depth other than elden ring.

Attached: you.png (1800x1578, 115.32K)

LINUX HAS NO GAMES
JUST LIKE MY PS5
OH YEAH YEAH

Best linux build for someone learning?

Happy for you bro.
I wish I could get 1000 fps in Elden Ring.

do you mean distro or PC build?
if you mean distro,stuff like linux mint is a good place to start,then maybe try endevor when you want to do the "cool stuff".
if you mean PC,either CPU brand is fine and AMD has much better gpu drivers on linux.

its locked to 60 anyway
doesn't regularly hit 165 when modded on a 3090 very often in busy areas

I did mean distro and thanks for the reply

Mint is basically designed for newcomers, but you don't get access to stuff like the AUR on non-arch distros which makes the installation of certain github projects take a few extra steps instead of being one click, so I personally use EndeavourOS, but still, Linux Mint's a good place to start for a newcomer.

My personal favorite desktop environment for any linux distro is KDE since it's easy to customize visually.

choose something that has a really built-out wiki
I started with arch and haven't ever hopped from it and it was not nearly as challenging as people seem to make it out to be
you can just search "arch X" and find results for X that can likely apply to most other distros

I started with Arch 10 years ago, it will teach you a lot about Linux components beacuse it's basically a build your own system. By default it doesn't even come with a desktop, it just drops you off to a command line. I wouldn't recommend actually using Arch though, it's just too much hassle.

no problem,remember that once you learn linux well,a distro is just a package manager (think of it like an appstore except it also deals with system stuff) + installer and to not get too worked up over distro if the one you use works for you.

>troonix thread
this so-called "operating system" is not even a real operating system if you contrast it to an actual operating system such as windows 10
this is like some shit you put on a raspberry pi a toy for children
who the fuck is mentally ill enough to put this shit on a workstation desktop??

>workstation desktop
lol
lmao

Just keep in mind, you're never stuck on one distro, you can try something out, then decide it's not for you and try a different one later. They're all free, all it costs is your time to set up a new thing.

>Puppy
Reminds me of the really trashy hardware I was stuck with when I was broke. Slim repositories with some fun minigames to pass the time. Major learning (and humbling) experience. Nostalgic but mostly glad to leave that behind.
>Alpine
I just couldn't stand Thunar's appearance which was the primary problem in finding anything light enough. Anyway, once I'm ready to go back, I'll probably have a good enough PC to disregard these issues.

I kinda wish Raspberry Pis were cheaper than they are because I'd straight up buy one just for the sole purpose of web browsing, emulating 2D games, and using it as a steam link and media streamer on my living room television. But I can't justify spending more than $40 on something that is that limited in scope and power.