Monkey Island

New Return to Monkey Island screenshots shown in an interview.
adventuregamers.com/articles/view/ron-gilbert-dave-grossman-return-to-monkey-island

Attached: meleeisland.png (2560x1440, 2.94M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=K88_XgsgRqk
twitter.com/NerdsWe/status/1511131442977427460
youtube.com/watch?v=gqSrhCY8TXc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: court.png (700x393, 336.06K)

Thoughts on the new artstyle?

Attached: smith.png (2560x1440, 1.99M)

>You announced that Dominic Armato is signed on as Guybrush. How about Earl Boen as LeChuck?

>Ron: Earl is an interesting one. We really would have loved to have him, but he’s retired. We did approach him, we did talk to him, and we did tell him all about the project. He very unfortunately said he had to decline, just because he’s retired and he’s getting older. But he did give us [his] blessing to recast the role. He said, “Recast the role, you have my full blessing to do that.” So that is one of the things we’ll be doing.

Attached: 1382845837480.png (399x388, 120.67K)

I don't like how "flat" it all looks

Kinda looks like shit but ill wait until I see the game in motion to really judge it

soulless

Attached: ss_919f791ec4acd24b1c9626f1a6ebeca197239bb3.1920x1080.jpg (640x480, 78.27K)

Hate it. Looks like soulless flat style

Attached: monkey.png (2560x1440, 1.63M)

It looks like shit. Please tell me this is a joke.

Is this for real? This looks like one of the worst art styles I've seen in my life.

What the fuck

looks like soulless corporate art

Attached: 1633859217046.jpg (1600x900, 229.95K)

How far we've come eh?

Attached: Puerto Pollo.jpg (2099x480, 354.39K)

What's the budget for this game? 10k? What a fucking crap.

Attached: 1472441909469.jpg (250x238, 7.64K)

I don't think it's a budget issue

And so, the monkey paw did what it does best.

bad

Look guys. I'm not too big on this Picasso Island either. But I'll wait to see it in movement with Guybrush and I know the dialog will be fun.

>getting your hopes up
Kek video games aren't allowed to be good anymore. What did you seriously expect? Pic related is by the art director btw.

Attached: guybrush.png (590x831, 255.85K)

Nah man this is just lazy. I hope it won't sell.

I have faith but I'm skeptical.

so the art director was personally chosen by Ron Gilbert because he loves the art style. He had emailed Ron a fan art of Guybrush in that art style in 2007, and Ron, not knowing who he was, loved it so much that he made the picture his computer background.
He remembered the art so he researched and found out he was a professional art director, and asked him to do it for Return

did you read the interview in OP? the budget of the game is more than they've ever had.
Ron wanted full creative control and that's the art style he wanted and doesn't care what others thin kabout it in the end

What was the picture?

You've gotta be kidding me.

And I believe the world is coming to an end.

lmao ron is a hack who didn't even work on curse yet it's the best one

Not far removed from the corporate globohomo style. Yup, it's soulless.

>that's the art style he wanted and doesn't care what others thin kabout it in the end

Based Ron. Gotta respect that.

>"Oh guybrush the love of my life!"
>"Ooh I love you too Elaine!"

They turned it into a generic family-friendly Mario and Peach situation. Elaine doesn't even play a part in 3 either which sucks.

Holy shit that looks fucking atrocious.

Literally the corporate art
hahahaha what the fuck

why is he made of cardboard with a censored penis taped to his face?

guacamelee 3? nice

Do ye have a reservation?

youtube.com/watch?v=K88_XgsgRqk

>yet it's the best one

Curse has a lot of SOUL, but it is nowhere near as good as Monkey Island 1&2.

It's too bad they're not doing pixel-art for MI3a. Thimbleweed Park looked great.

Attached: Monkey Island 3a.png (2560x1600, 121.36K)

It's hard not to feel really disappointed looking at the soulless art, but it still looks better than the remasters.

Wow.
This is really, REALLY bad.

Yep, that's what I expected. People were saying "Ron must have been forced to use this art style against his will", but they clearly don't remember The Cave. That's just the kind of art Ron likes. I will miss the nice pixel art from Thimbleweed though.

Attached: thimbleweed.png (1920x1080, 152.94K)

>Escape was ugly as fuck
>Tales was ugly as fuck and episodic
>Monkey Island SE was atrocious
>Monkey Island 2 SE was only slightly less atrocious, and Guybrush still looked terrible

So the fact that this is kind of ugly isn't a dealbreaker for me knowing that at least we're going to have Ron-Gilbert-led puzzle design.

>Dave: They’ll know the composers.
>Ron: Yeah, Michael [Land] and Peter [McConnell] and Clint [Bajakian].

Based.

It's too bad they couldn't get Peter Chan to contribute to the art, but I assume he was way too busy on Psychonauts 2 when they started development on this.

>It's too bad they couldn't get Peter Chan to contribute to the art
but Ron said in the interview he specifically sought out the Tearaway guy because he loved his art

AAAAA Not this horrible blocky style!!!
FUCK YOU MONKEY PAW!!!

sauce on this one?

>Do you have anything else you want to make sure our readers know about this game?
>Ron: I really hope people like it. There’s been a little bit of backlash because it’s not pixel art, and at some level that makes me sad, because we’ve spent two years with an incredible team making an incredible game that looks incredible, and it is a little bit sad to hear that. But I don’t think we’re going to let people down.

Dammit Ron, don't guilt me for not liking the art! It looks like shit! I bet Guybrush will still look better than he does in the remasters though.

And the game will probably still be great. I'm still glad they're making it.

Attached: Guybrush.jpg (531x720, 65.83K)

The composition on this fucking socks.
There's no focal point.

No, the monkey is not the focal point, it has less contrast than every other element in the scene.

>the original composers
The Secret of Monkey Island remains one of my absolute favorite games to this day, and half of it is the music.
I'm stoked as hell.

Attached: piss myself.png (426x471, 456.04K)

twitter.com/NerdsWe/status/1511131442977427460

Attached: mi3.jpg (3200x2000, 2.45M)

>15 years after Monkey Island 3
>Higher budget than ever before
>Game somehow looks worse than the first one released in 1990
I hope this is not going to be another Molyneux situation where removing all constraints turns everything to shit.

Attached: thecube.jpg (1200x800, 63.5K)

Feel bad Ron is sad cause you know they're working really hard on this and putting their all into it. Its gonna be a excellent game. As long as the writing quality is there (jokes, character, dialogue, story) aswell as the iconic Monkey Island music and great puzzle design, then it'll be fantastic.

I don't even dislike the art style, I can live with it and like things about it if that those elements listed above are there.

Here I was thinking the closest we'd get to more Monkey Island music from Peter McConnell was the ship-in-a-bottle level of Psychonauts 2.

youtube.com/watch?v=gqSrhCY8TXc

Curse is so fucking comfy god damn

Yeah, I think that if they're doing what they think is going to be a good Monkey Island game, then it's going to be good. Currently there's only one thing that's gonna make or break it for me to buy it.

Truly a blessing.

Attached: inflation.png (975x805, 161.63K)

A PIRATE I WAS MEANT TO BE

Attached: a pirate i was meant to be.gif (450x282, 253.25K)

I honestly would have prefered if Ron and his team went with the pixel art look, I don't really dig this new style. Also it feels a bit cramped.

>Also it feels a bit cramped
Can't unsee this now

soulless

Scottish pirate was my favoirite

Looks like Tranny corporate art, complete with the absolute obession with indians for SOME FUCKING REASON

kill me pete