Does atmosphere matter in games?

Does atmosphere matter in games?

Attached: 1649904887914.jpg (3612x4052, 3.19M)

P4G has to be the most overrated game of all time
FES > 3
Royal > 5
4 > golden

Kys yourselves Mariefags

yes. both are great, by the way, even though im sure this image is here to spark some kind of flaming. the left is dreadful and introspective, the right is anxious and extrospective

In some games yes, in others no. Atmosphere matters in persona 4

This is the equivalent of colorgrading in movies.

>silent hill HD collection removes the fog
>everyone bitches for all time
>P4G removes the fog
>it's ok when persoyna does it

Eh, only the third one actually looks worse. 1 and 2 could be a technological thing and 4 is an artistic decision. Still think 4 is better than Golden though.

Right looks too flat and dull.

PS2 fog was something else

>OP clearly calling P4G's soul vacuum shit
>wtf why does everyone defend this
meds

Why is the right so much worse?
They just plastered some textures in and removed shit like the telephones lines in the third images too.
Reminds me of the mario in unreal engine meme

I like base 3 better for the better tower grind.

OG P5 had better gameplay and a much better ending

>atmosphere is le low draw distance fog

The third image is tragic. Sucks that we just got a straight up port of the ugly Vita version on PC.

Left is a console game right is based on the handheld port.

are there any mods for the PC version that improve the graphics to match the look of OG P4?

Attached: 1603572702082.jpg (1280x1440, 1.01M)

Is this true? I felt like waiting for PS4 emulation to play P5 because I figured Royal was just better.

What is that tree texture

fog is literally a plot element in the game

5>Royal

Although Royal is still nowhere near as egregious as Golden in how it ruins the game. Worst is P3P though

It's not true, don't ever listen to contrarianfags on Yea Forums. The gameplay is the same except for some QoL stuff.

No. Gameplay in Royal is better and you can in theory stop after the original ending. There is a lot of added story content afterwards, though.

Not the same user but Royal's gameplay additions generally break an already precarious balance. Storywise the original ending is much better but you can still get it in Royal, and the new one isn't that bad its just really badly placed, the actual bonus arc by itself is actually decent unlike Marie's bullshit.

Does that mean the fog is literally nonexistent in P4G?

>don't ever listen to contrarianfags on Yea Forums
I usually spit on people like you calling people with opinions contrarians but I just don't have a reference here. P4G and P3P is definitely worse than the original but I just don't know about 5.

Can you explain what you mean about the balance?

Reminds me of how Caligula removed all of the lightning effects from the enhanced ports. Is porting lightning to future ports really that hard?

Attached: CaligulaRemake1.jpg (1920x1632, 3.03M)

PS2 transparency effects are untranslatable to PC or any other console. We've seen this in countless ports starting with the MGS2 one. through every Silent Hill port and the trend continues to this day with Persona 4.

Royal lets you fuse higher level personas less than half way into the game. That change alone completely breaks the game and you're literally just playing VN at that point

Not only that, ammo refreshing every fight means there's no strategy to when you use it, mp is much more abundant thanks to will seeds (which also give you absurdly overpowered moves), alarms break the game even further, batton passsing is buffed even though it was already strong, all personas effectively have an extra passive move for free, it's easier to max out confidants and there's more of them so you have more bonuses earlier in the game etc etc. The result is that the game becomes absolutely mindless very early and stays that way for the whole game, the original game was not hard but you at least had to manage SP and ammo which meant you had to put a bare minimum amount of thought into regular encounters.

Oh and the music is worse too.

Realistic textures with no regard for how they'd look in game. Just look at the grass textures, and the paddy field

I mean you have access to the DLC persona of the original game which are all overpowered pieces of shit available from the get go, Baton pass that was already one of the most powerful abillities in the bass game you are able to power it up further to ludicrous degrees and you start out with it, you have unlimited ammo outside of individual battles where gun type is a straight upgrade to regular physical attacks so the latter is pointless, and you get OP almighty cutscene attacks with a super bar. Now understand that regular enemies weren't rebalanced for all your added bullshit, main bosses gain a few minor upgrade but half of them are just aesthetics, interactive cutscene sequences to their fight rather than real buffs no surprise that the new final boss of the game is half cutscene battle.

The only thing I really do like about Royal is that it gives you more status ailments tech hit combos.

Balance is overrated anyway, I'd rather have more fun toys to play with, if you care about balance nobody's forcing you to use any of that stuff.

>Oh and the music is worse too.
Seems like there'd be a mod for that looking at the other Persona games. Thanks for the other info but as a guy who doesn't really care about Persona gameplay it doesn't affect me at all :^)

REPRESENTATION

MATTERS

It does in KSP.

based 4:3 poster. fuck widescreen mod faggots you're ruining the intended framing of the scene.

I understand that sentiment but it's frustrating in that the original really was a decently balanced game (it breaks right near the end but that's par for the course in SMT), and they went backwards with a lot of this shit when they could have just made a new difficulty to account for all your new toys. Also cutscene attacks are cancer.

Good one

atmosphere = well lit areas with careful design, matching colors, appealing and consistent art style and immersive ambient audio
no weeb shit has atmosphere

Attached: 106923977340762.jpg (1920x1080, 755.16K)

>fuck finely crafted experiences I just want a toy box

Yes. A lot actually.

Graphics are secondary. Unless it's something truly horrid then it can be dealt with if the content is good enough and P4G adds in a bunch of stuff outside of Marie to the point where going back to vanilla is just shit. You're also comparing a console release to a handheld port. Might as well compain why MK2 on Game Boy dosn't look as good as the Super Nintendo version.

Royal fucked up the ending so hard that it can fuck off. They turned the comfy as fuck road trip back hope with his pals to Goro wank.

Attached: 20210705202422_1.jpg (2560x1440, 384.77K)

I played the vita version a few years ago and remember it looking like the one on the left.

Is this just an issue with the new pc port????

Attached: 1644059055814.jpg (1027x1273, 292.19K)

Nope, that's how P4G has always looked.

is there a mod that fixes golden on pc?

Fixes what?

I take it you've never been outside during rain that you think there's some magic gigafog where you can't see shit?

I loved 4 but I just can't finish 5, it's too damn boring. I don't know if it's the game's fault or if my tastes changed in the meantime

user, that's not the remake, that's the Vita original.
This is the remake.

Attached: Caligula Remake.jpg (1920x1632, 2.43M)

It's the latter, I was in the same boat.
Unironically play Catherine, it's the perfect step up after "growing out" of Persona.

Already did multiple times and it's my favorite Atlus game

Do you prefer Classic or Tranny Body? Yes it's a loaded question and shows my preference but still curious.

I haven't played the new version

Imo it's a complete downgrade storywise, adds a lot of wish fulfillment crap and the new """girl""" (actually a faggot crossdressing troon) completely ruins the story and is shoved in even harder than Marie in P4G.

>Game about being trapped in societies prison and achieving freedom
>In the end thanks to your friends you achieve true freedom and ride off into the sunset
>Now it's you repeat Persona 4's ending and Akechi was still alive fucking sick

What the actual fuck where they thinking with this?

Yeah I get it, not a fan of of these story additions in games, most of the time they feel tacked on

>What the actual fuck where they thinking with this?
Real answer? Completely different director and writing team made Royal. That's why it's so retarded and schizophrenic.
Hashino and his team said they're fucking done with Persona after 5 and they'd rather work on something new and fucked off to Studio Zero, so Royal was made entirely by new team.

>Hashino and his team said they're fucking done with Persona after 5 and they'd rather work on something new and fucked off to Studio Zero
Not him but if that's legit that explains so fucking much.

What I will say is good is that at the start of the game it asks you if you want to remix the gameplay, it works sorta like REmake (as in RE1 remake) in that it changes the actual puzzle gameplay sections in a way that's meant to trip you up if you played the original game and fuck with your expectations, that's pretty good and the fact it's optional is cherry on top.
Sadly new content isn't optional, Rin is still forced on you and while you can ignore him after a while, you still have to suffer through his faggotry for half the game.

It is true, google it if you don't believe me. Hashino and his team are working on that Project ReFantasy thing that's still in fucking limbo.
You can also compare Royal credits vs original P5 credits.
Different director, different writer etc.

I'd say the additions are even worse in Catherine is only because they added new 2D cutscenes with a completely different art direction. It's so jarring it hurts. Also yea, having a cute girl (male) shoehorned in every dream session and bar session to ensure the player isn't stressed or spooked too much is baffling.

It matters A LOT, it's the shit you'll remember the most from games
Soundtracks serves as some sort of catalyst for atmosphere, so it's important to have good OSTs in your game (devs take note)
Gameplay is the fun factor, atmosphere is the soul factor. High fun factor + high soul factor = great game

Attached: 1234121.jpg (500x500, 45.34K)