>Get a big wad of cash to make your game Playstation exclusive on console
>Get a bid wad of cash to make your game Epic exclusive on PC
>It STILL flops
What went so terribly wrong?

Attached: wtf.png (615x585, 378.57K)

>epic exclusive
this

Soulstorm more like soul's gone

Attached: 1649807941495.png (1593x494, 451.13K)

It was shit.

Grittyugly artstyle on purpose doesn't sell anymore in a post-undertale world.

It's like why old Nickelodeon style is dead.

Even that highly praised fucking Mad Max movie was all colorful and sleek, saturated shit.

>they decide to make shit more serious and edgy when the brutal mix of lighthearted humor with the soul-crushing oppressive feel world is the series' greatest strength
It was arguably darker before and now it's just soulless.

>soulstorm
more like soulless

Soulless

>First remake
>Well received
>People await remake of 2nd game
>Don't remake it, do a "reimagining" nobody asked for
>make it epic exclusive too

gee i wonder why it flopped.

Attached: 1616782933264.jpg (324x318, 10.62K)

wtf is oddworld even? doesn't look interesting

This is literally the first time I'm hearing the game actually game out. Epic exclusivity is a fucking death sentence for games, I remember a ton of people were surprised that KH and Neo TWEWY were available on PC as well.

Apparently the studio expected around 50k to 100k sales, and then Sony came up with the offer to put the game on Plus. It was downloaded +4 million times.
That's why the director says it was devastating. He thinks he shouldn't have taken the offer.

Game failed to evolve (Seriously, nobody plays realistic 2D platformers anymore)
Story was really weird and pretty boring.
Gatekept by requiring the player the understand the previous games events (which, in the age of zoomers, nobody does).
Sequel bait.
Buggy as fuck.
$60 price tag and Epic exclusive.
No greentext because Oddworld can lick my arse, series was literally never fucking good and you fags only like it because you played it once on a Pizza Hut PS1 demo disc.

If it wasn't on PS Plus it probably would have been between 50k-100k.

people would rather pirate than give their money to tim

A series of mostly platformer games where you solve puzzles and lead helpless idiots to safety.

Neo TWEWY is on PC? Why the fuck did I buy the Switch version, it runs like shit.
Fuck epic.

Is he bummed because he thinks all of those downloads would have been sales?
I'm one of those downloads and I wouldn't have purchased this game

So just storm?

Attached: a89yeghbt.jpg (344x260, 13.44K)

>read article
>"we were expecting 50-100,000 people to redeem it
>"instead 4 million did, so that's a lot of lost profits"

This is either lying/coping or next level retardation.

Like you really think that those 4 million people were gonna buy oddworld. Come the fuck on.

But even still it is retarded to put a game on ps plus the year it comes out. But let's not pretend this was like putting elden ring on ps plus next month.

>western devs in 202x
>writing good humor
Sorry but that's never happening again.

What the fuck, it was already out?

Is this game still exclusive? I'm waiting on the steam or gog release.
Oddworld was my favourite series as a kid, but I don't need more game launchers on my pc.

I'm one of those downloads and I never even played it, I just got it because it was free, like all the other shovelware games back when I had Plus.

fpbp.

Attached: 1571933444274.gif (276x232, 1.38M)

Oddworld seems like the type of IP they keep trying to push as a household name but nobody cares about it

Nobody gives a single shit about Oddworld since Abe's Odyssey. Zoomers don't even know what genre Abe's Odyssey is

It was ported to pc later on

Series went to shit after Exodus. I remember being excited when I got an Xbox to play Munch. Terrible fucking game. Don't speak to me of Strangers Wrath because I was done by then

It's a gamble. For very small games or indies, it may be good to just take Sony money even if it means forsaking you launch sales, because you won't get much more than that. Multiplayer games also benefit from this as evidenced by Rocket League and Fall Guys.
Bigger games are much more risky, you would rather sell your games to your fanbase at full price then take Sony money to put it on Plus once it stops selling.

sounds like the oddworld studio should have done 5 minutes of research before agreeing to put their game on PS+.

I'm still mad about samurai shodown being bungled repeatedly

Holy fucking shit who designed this

I actually felt the same way and didn't play strangers wrath until last year.
It's a lot better than Munch's Odyssey

I listened to that "war stories" long interview with one of the creators talking about the history of the games. I can understand there were a few unfortunate things that have happened along the way but they've really gotta understand they make fucking AWFUL decisions.

Why the fuck did they turn a Playstation & PC seeies into an Original Xbox exclusive then act surprised when they flopped?

Now years later they've made the same retard decisions and are crying about it

>Get a bid wad of cash to make your game Epic exclusive on PC
>What went so terribly wrong?
Good luck trying to sell a game on a platform where everyone is either playing Fortnite or only claiming free games

Nobody. That's the problem.

How many copies did it sell before it was free?

pretty sure ive seen that exact title screen like 50 times on the ps4 alone.

New N' Tasty had some problems, mostly related to getting rid of the "1 screen" style of gameplay, where instead they chose to connect everything seamlessly instead and whilst that sounds good on paper, it turns out the original game was REALLY designed around this, meaning it caused problems when screens were now completely connected together
New N' Tasty was divisive for the fans because the 'minor' changes had a bigger impact than expected, however it was still accurate to the original in tone and story

I don't know WHAT THE FUCK they were thinking with Soulstorm, I assume Lorne has just gone completely insane, because he changed so much that even calling it a "re-imagining" is an insult
crafting should have NEVER been introduced, especially if they were going to half-ass it so much, if you are in an area where you need to craft an item to continue, then those ingredients WILL ALWAYS be available in that area if you search every trash bin.....but all this really does is add several steps of pointless busywork; in Abe's Oddysee if you need a bomb, there is a dispenser for them, in Soulstorm it will ask you to spend 5 minutes looking for ingredients to then craft one, the only difference is the busywork of looking for the ingredients and making the thing instead of having it given to you, there was no extra challenge, just extra tedium
add on to this the fact that some of the most visually unique areas of Exoddus were cut from Soulstorm (like Necrum), several enemies were cut (like fleeches), several characters were cut (like most of Abe's followers, the ghosts, some Glukkons etc), and the only things they added in are the crafting system (which I'm mentioned is completely pointless and serves no actual purpose), a bunch of levels set on the trains (which aren't visually interesting), and a weird subplot about Abe's mother?

I can understand that Exoddus didn't come out how they originally wanted, but it's better than Soulstorm by a mile

It came into PSPlus right at launch, which is why the director is salty.

>make game no one asked for
>give it away *free day one
>no one actually bought it

Attached: 1408491291073.jpg (616x930, 118.5K)

Oddworld is 100% a release on par with fall guys at launch

>make your niche franchise console/storefront exclusive
>nobody plays it

Woah how shocking, its almost like they did this before with munches oddysee

or maybe the game just wasn't that good?

That's actually really retarded.

I mean does anyone even care about oddworld?
There were like 2 good games

Those 2 games were so good I still care 20+ years later.

Yeah but fall guys is a multiplayer battle royale. It benefits from a lot of people getting the game for free*. Servers are populated, big group of people dont have to buy in to try it and spread word and get their friends to play.

A single player story game? Why the fuck are you putting it on psplus

Lorne Lanning is a classic hippy idiot artist who doesn't have a stable of actual businessmen to prevent him from shooting himself in the foot and then interviewing about it later. he has had some neat ideas and with his team put forward a series of really good but niche games, and done his best to ruin the legacy by coming back and just shitting all over the place

I bought New N' Tasty
I would have bought Soulstorm is Lorne hadn't fucking ruined it

>flop
The chances of this game being a hit were null.

Holy zoomer

the cutscenes were the only good thing about that game, he should just fuck off and make a movie or tv show

>tell the world soulstorm was the oddword "you've always wanted to make"
>turn your beloved series from a tightly controlled platformer with a gorgeous art style
>into an unreal engine asset flip
>fill the screen with explosions
>craftings popular? put it in the game
>there's not enough bloom
>what do you mean my gritty and realisting platforming series shouldn't be full of bloom and explosions and crafting? it's the fans that are wrong im a genius im lorne lanning
lorne lanning is a fucking retarded hack jesus christ. how is this the game he's always wanted to make? it looks like a ps3 launch title.

no-one would have bought it if it wasn't on plus lmao

this is what UX (user-experience) design leads to instead of artists just making a UI.

Attached: 1638361082474.png (640x672, 271.75K)

I'd actually still buy the game if I could but hes fucked up and made it exclusive again

It's a boomer game that people don't care about anymore. It had it's moment, but the gameplay and style are just not what the world cares for anymore.

>>western devs in 202x
>>writing good humor
>Sorry but that's never happening again.

Attached: chud6.png (750x1064, 278.43K)

>exoddus is a story with not only a commentary on slavery and consumerism, but also a good amount of tongue-in-cheek humour and slapstick comedy to lighten things up

>for the remake, rewrite the story to be more melodramatic and serious, cut out half the plot points, locations, characters, and end on a cliffhanger

there's some kind of lesson to be learned here about "trying too hard"; Exoddus was released 1 year after Oddysee and is considered a lazy by-the-numbers sequel to Lorne, but Soulstorm languished in development for over 5 years of polish and yet isn't even half the game that Exoddus was

Gottem

Is Stranger's Wrath still good? It was one of the games a while back.