He isn't playing the deepest non-autistic game ever made

>he isn't playing the deepest non-autistic game ever made

Attached: 8b41c99bf03b5dcaace78d98.jpg (1104x621, 91.07K)

Other urls found in this thread:

larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/?page=unit&unitq=great archon),
dominionsmods.com/index.php?showtopic=3276
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>deep
>non-autistic

it's really not that deep

>non-autistic
>dominions

Attached: autismus maximus.jpg (523x720, 99.78K)

>over 6000 units with very specific ability, resource costs and ways to adquiere
>over a few hundred spells
>a bunch of interactions you'll not know about until you play it
Dominions IS the autism

>dominions
>not-autistic
The extreme autism is its entire charm, what the hell are you saying

This. I'm attracted to autistic games but it was a real letdown in how simple it was.

Literally the only thing it has is lots of unitsa and spells. The actual gameplay loop is terribly simplistic.

More shit =/= deep
In fact it's usually the opposite

>non-autistic
It's pretty autistic, I would be playing more if multiplayer wasn't so much of a commitment, I feel bad when I pull an all nigher and can't do a turn. Modded games, are both amazing, but retarded as fuck, and rare to play.

This kills the bunkerchangroomer

Attached: file.png (292x23, 11.39K)

It seems cool, but the entire game is micromanaging logistics on the strategic map with battles being automated. It's not really fun.

I have more fun with CoE

he'll make the Chuds Great Again!

Attached: The Last Chud.png (347x593, 26.56K)

>want to try it
>didnt have friend to play with
bros...

Because Dominions 6 will be even better.
This is a genre that only improves with time, doesn't require dextery, and never has good plot (if at all), so the only logical time to play it is in your old age, when you'll see its peak.
No I'm focusing in action games, because I won't be able to beat them when I get old, and because sadly is a complete stagnated genre, with God Hand still being the best it offers.

Never played it but "lots of units and spells" sounds like the meat of the game is in making your own combinations of them

>multiplayer is played primarily by email
yeah that's quite autistic man

>turns take literal weeks because of how """deep""" it is

Dominions is lots of fun, but late game tends to become a chore with turns taking forever

I think most use blitzserver

You can play singleplayer though that means no proper diplomacy

Single player is great though. No need to get dicked by your five neighbors who all go turbo tryharding.

Just let me enjoy the roleplay aspects of whichever non competitive nation and strategy

Last time I played SP it was just water niggers annoying me on my coastal provinces for 30 turns

This.
Actual autist here, if you think this is deep you're fucking retarded. Its just a matter of absuing the poor AI to waste spells on trash.
>But it has 15 bazlionty and a half functionally identical spells!
That don't matter.
Dwarf Fort has 15 trillion identical rocks. They make no difference. Content, or extra cells in an excel sheet, is not 'depth'

You can specify if AI generate as random, land or water nations. Just disable the mershitters if it makes you happier.

I certainly do when I don't want to bother with them

>non-autistic
I play dom on occasion but I never broke into multi so I'm a forever scrub. Also I like playing elves and playing elves on SP teaches you all the wrong things from what I can tell.

>giving a fuck about chaff units when it all comes down to mage squads and or geared out demigods

The bazillion spells really only exist to work arround whatever bless/nation combo your non AI opponent uses. But I'll concede that it doesn't matter against AI

Scaling tends to be a major issue with most good games. Either you have a game with super simplistic mechanics so that once you're an established faction the complexity is built on the amount of points from which to apply those simple mechanics or it gets hyper autstic with a satisfying and appropriate level of detail in the early/mid game and a late game that requires you to do the work of what would be an entire administrative wing of government in-game in order to retain the same efficiency

>Making the same game over and over again

Well, depends on what you mean by autism. On one hand the age of individual units is tracked. On the other hand it's extremely RP-friendly (indeed, that's the way developers approach their game) so you can just whatever seems appropriate for RP reasons totally unconcerned with theorycrafting and shit (which in itself is highly intuitive because effectively all calculations are based on DRN, so no case-by-case studies needed) and have a good experience, even in mixed-skill multiplayer games.

Right. Go for example is about as simple as nontrivial game can be but it's in fact vastly deeper than most games where increased complexity gives far more chances for some stuff to end up "obviously good" (at least after collective thousands or millions of player-hours spent figuring the game out) in such a way that optimal/high-level play can be reduced to "spam the OP unit".

However, I would argue Dominions is plenty deep, although that depth is for the most part in operational art and emergent grand strategic level/diplomacy, to lesser extent making tactics robust by accounting for what you expect the enemy to do and how you might allocate resources in bootstrapping to endgame vs committing the resources now, and almost none of it is in figuring out which one of the thousand spells is actually good, concerning yourself with details of how the hundred combat factors play out in detail (you might pick greatswords to kneecap giants, but your decision process is "ok I want high damage units" and nothing like doing the math), or how to pick a pretender design out of arbitrarily vast space of possible designs.

Also, thanks to its vastness it's still in the process of being figured out such that even mediocre players have room and need for coming up with novelties which might or might not be a sign of inherent depth of the game (it might well get "solved" if it was as thoroughly studied as StarCraft, say), now there's a lot of room for "actual strategy".

Attached: 1614254029309.png (1285x788, 264.31K)

I'll never play dominions, but I will always enjoy reading the manual.

Dom 3 manual with the developer thoughts and reasons for all manner of things is a really fun read

you should try watching some dominions games on yt

This is exactly my problem with late game Dominions. I'm not willing to drop my efficiency, because autistically managing everything to perfection is the most entertaining part of the game. Now excuse me while I spend 20 mins on simply managing my blood slave gathering operations

I love playing mod nations like Hakurei from the 2hu nations mod where all your troops are holy but you have to literally build forts and temples in every single province for decent income and resources or any of the popkill nations in Hellenika.
Also holy shit thunder weapons were a fucking mistake.

Attached: 20220410075522_1.jpg (1200x900, 311.74K)

all games are autistic

I really should

Attached: Screenshot_20220413-085441_Xodo Docs.jpg (972x7553, 3.62M)

people say its not worth it for singleplayer
so how autistic can it be

Can someone explain this to me. Who is the central figure in this and what is his relation to The Builder? I'm too hylic to understand unless this is faggot hermetic shit

Only unimaginative faggots say that

Dom6 when?

>non-autistic

Attached: 1639832442241.png (532x312, 85.85K)

that's just a visual representation of what happend in game to the Great Archon who is one of the pretender chassis you can use

Attached: Great Rooster of Knowledge.png (817x739, 665.5K)

Bro that's abraxas. Most of the stuff in game is based of actual lore or is a parody of it.

>and never has good plot (if at all)
But Dominions has the best worldbuilding/fluff in the medium of video games. Granted, new iterations don't present a new world, just add to the previous version, so in that sense you're correct.

I don't understand gnosticism myself either, the unit depicted is Great Archon (larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/?page=unit&unitq=great archon), which I understand to at least visually be based on Abraxas. Whomever Abraxas actually is, I don't know.

Attached: a31e513782c5df321527a4f8bc23d686--abraxas-demian-teaching.jpg (736x1137, 147.37K)

>tfw separating the passive-spawning zombies from the simple skellies to the stronger skelly foot troops every few turns in each settlement into different armies like it matters
too much autism for me tyvm

Attached: ermor in nutshell.png (795x301, 254.89K)

But I must ask which cultures is this chasis associated with. A gnostic RP sounds like a really good time.

As an aside I love gnostic shit so this is a nice rabbit hole to go down.

It would be pretty neat if it had warhammer factions.

Fuck off.

when securing victory via the everybody-dies-of-old-age megaspell is done not because its cool but because running the world down with the undead is too much of a pain in the ass

The pretender chassis is available to all Mediterranean nations. There's also a Gnostic nation mod: dominionsmods.com/index.php?showtopic=3276

yeah and its based af, i guess that's what happends when your main dev is a history teacher

Attached: sceleria is worse.png (376x357, 35.45K)

IS IT WORTH IT TO PLAY ANY OF THESE IN PURE SINGLEPLAYER?

Yes it's fun in SP but if you want longevity, challenge and a feeling of satisfaction play it in MP

Pretty sure there are mods

How is it fun in SP if it doesn't have longevity, challenge and a feeling of satisfaction?

Each version is the previous one with more stuff, better modding, less bad (at this point I'd dare to say "better") UX, less bad AI, some of the older sprites have been redrawn, etc, so Dom5 is the only relevant one.

As for viability for single player? I think it's definitely a good experience for the duration of the honeymoon period when you get to explore the new fluff, figure out how the mechanics work, try out all the crazy interactions you can pull off (wishing for more wishes, infinite skellingtons, that sort of thing), and so on. For most players this would last for several tens of hours at least, but after that point you should have figured out hard counters to the kind of stuff AI tends to do (and because it doesn't react to what you're doing, same as literally every strategy vidya, the game of outwitting your opponent ends at the first level), and longer-term viability is suspect.

But even after that point, there still are various SP-viable playstyles. Maybe you care about RP more than playing optimally (Dominions is *extremely* RP-friendly). Maybe you'd still find it in you to try out all of the factions rather than merely looking at the cool stuff they have in their their unit rosters, and that's going to take a while given that there's a hundred of them. Maybe you like making your own mod nations (Dominions is really easy to mod, at least before you start doing crazy event modding shit). You could play against yourself. Or maybe you just don't care that the AI is a pushover, even at high artificial difficulty levels where they just throw more chaff at you. Some people have played Dom SP since Dom1, and it's VASTLY inferior for SP than Dom5 is.

Also, it's worth noting that a lot of people who generally don't like MP may still enjoy Dominions: due to FFA format even expert players are likely to lose any given match so there's little pressure, it accommodates players of mixed skill levels (even "deliberately bad" RP playstyles) well, etc

Attached: 1610916327800.jpg (797x613, 139.84K)

Commander Points ruins Dominions 5 for me.

>Dominions
>non-autistic

user...

Attached: Autism.jpg (540x572, 59.69K)

>dominions 5
>still no screenshots of the clown mod

Biggest issue with Dom MP is how much of a chore it becomes. You need to take your turn day after day.
Of course there are blitz games but not as advertised and they seem more try hardy

Attached: 1623517498326.gif (580x416, 336K)

On the other hand, it only requires long-term commitment: contrary to games like Dota where a match can last an hour and you're expected to play it to the finish without interruptions, you can play at your own pace.

Of course, if you are winning as a micro-intensive nation in a large (15+ player) game... That can be pretty dreadful. I've had games where my victory was all but guaranteed so I could afford to get sloppy, and turns STILL took about two hours each.

Here you go.

Attached: Ancient clown.jpg (858x915, 405.75K)