Visual novels in disguise with the content being 95% dialogues and 5% generic turn-based battles

>visual novels in disguise with the content being 95% dialogues and 5% generic turn-based battles
This entire genre is a scam of false advertising

Attached: file.png (151x67, 2.93K)

they were just movie games before movie games were invented and the fanbase never let go

true.
at least movie games can be enjoyed by watching cutscenes, JRPGs is like reading books

>is like
Someone clearly needs more books

I enjoy reading books, can't say the same for zoomers since i don't think they have enough attention span for that.

your mom is false advertising

>Lack of attention span only began with zoomers

Attached: 1631261211423.jpg (970x850, 97.39K)

>NOOOOOOOO YOU IF DON'T WANT TO READ 60 HOURS OF TEXT INSTEAD OF PLAYING GAMES THEN YOU ARE A ZOOMIE WITH ATTENTION PROBLEM

Cope more zoomer tard

I've seen images and video of FF7 ever since I started getting into games. It doesn't look interesting or fun. Anytime I see praise it's almost always for cinematic elements, whether it's the original or the remake. I just don't get it, and since users on hltb said that I would need to spend 33 hours minimum to be able to, I do not want to get it. Cinematic games are not good just because they're older and Japanese.

Attached: 1649699414266.png (642x655, 538.42K)

I played and beat FF7 like 10 years ago and thought it didn't deserve all that hype but it gave me feels and Aerith's death made me a bit sad so I won't say it wasn't worth a play

Just play games like Resonance of Fate or SMT if you want a JRPG where those ratios are flipped.

elden ring is a jrpg, your blanket statement is meaningless

lol nope

Attached: file.png (1206x206, 50.29K)

it can be both, small brain

JARPG

JRPGs are not action games
they are just story-telling mediums with little gameplay to make gamers give a fuck about their pedo stories

You are what we call a failed normalfag. You never belonged here and you never will.

jrpgs are literally just rpgs made in japan
just because a lot of them are certain way doesn't mean they are only like that

your mom is an action game

JRPGs means the RPG is following Japanese standards (mostly Dragon Quest formula which is inspired by Ultima)
Western RPG is based on pen-and-paper role-playing

FF7 is way more popular and high selling than the games I'm into.
>You never belonged here and you never will.
No one belongs on Yea Forums, it's a wretched place for discussion, just marginally less than most other forums.

ITT: Retards who've never touched a JRPG in their entire lives.

I touched your mom

Its a menu simulator with visual novel ducttaped to it
Cope

OP here
I played Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Trails of Cold Steel, Neptunia, Chrono Trigger, Vagrant Story, Pokemon, Ni no Kuni, Brave Story PSP, Disgaea, Atelier, Breath of Fire, Super Robot Taisen among others and I still hold to what I said

OP here
I never actually played any of these for longer then a second and also i'm trans UwU

>following Japanese standards
this could mean literally anything

Crystal Project seems like a proper jrpg with 99% gameplay and 1% story, at least that's what I got from all the shilling here

was there a lot of dialogue in pokemon?

Sun and Moon and Sword and Shield had tons of dialogues and unskippable cutscenes in almost every route

5% STORY 95% AVALANCHE OF TURN BASED COMBAT? LET ME INTRODUCE MYSELF.

Attached: SMT-V-Amanozako.jpg (1020x572, 59.1K)

>JRPGs are not action games
So
Tales isn't JRPG
Mana isn't JRPG
Ys isn't JRPG
Final Fantasy after 14 aren't JRPG
Am I getting this right? Is this the hill you want to die on?

the music is phenomenal, the visuals are magical, the story is intriguing. I'll grant you that all the media from the game made after 1997 stinks, but if you don't like the original game itself there's something wrong with your brain. It's a masterpiece.

Attached: Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 3.38.13 AM.png (1930x1078, 3.65M)

is this a thread about 13 sentinels?

Rean is unironically the greatest protagonist of all time. A perfection of the hero’s journey, while also a deconstruction of self-insertion in general. A meta-commentary on how people project themselves onto others, their hopes and dreams. So many characters bond with Rean, but so little understand his true feelings, save perhaps Crow - ironically a character who may appear the most selfish. Cold Steel is first about showing the divisions that exist between people, but then shows how these divisions can be overcome.
Rean’s arc is from virgin to chad, to the pinnacle of what it means to be a man from a starting point of immense and relatable doubt. Every line of dialogue Rean has oozes personality, contains deeper meaning which can be inferred by the words he chooses to use and how these conflict with his true feelings which very few actually understand. A simple “haha” from Rean contains a wealth of emotions - his intense regard for his fellow man, his self-loathing, but through it all that glimmer of hope he holds that he may overcome his problems. He is a paragon of ideals in a war against bitter reality, his struggle to imprint the beautiful world of shining jewels within his vision onto a dirtied and torn canvas.
Yet somehow, through it all, Rean wins. Not through his ability to command himself, but from his learned ability to command others. Through his learned ability to persuade and influence others, but also from his genuine good will, he unites countless people towards prosperity - from simple sidequests, to existential threats which affect humanity as a whole. By giving others the will to live, he finds his own. He is a true emperor, a God, and we were privileged enough to watch him every step of the way.

Attached: 1636595419784.jpg (1920x1080, 1.21M)

I'm here for the turn-based battles
My favorite Final Fantasy is V and it barely cares about its own story

If you dislike JRPGs why are you playing the bottom-of-the-barrel shit like Disgaea/Atelier/fucking Neptunia
I can understand playing the big franchises but surely you would have been able to tell those games aren't for you?

I like to explore and discover new games
it doesn't always end up being good time

I played Neptunia because of its concept of console wars, but it was cringe as shit.
I have been playing Atelier recently for 2 days and it's what made me make this thread. too much dialogues.
Disgaea 1 on PSP wasn't dialogue-heavy in comparison, but I remember being confused by the gameplay so I reach far

Yes. I don't wanna be all "always on they damn phones" but zoomers are always on they damn phones. Seriously, you faggots will spend thousands of hours playing some shitty multiplayer game but won't spend an afternoon reading. I pity your dopamine receptors and how absolutely fried they must be now.

Fair enough user, good on you for having an open mind.

which is why you don't respond to those retards.

This, if you want to get into the genre start with the great ones
>gameplay
Bravely Default, Final Fantasy V, SMT, heard SaGa is good
>story
Black Souls
>atmosphere
Fear & Hunger, Vagrant Story, Ni No Kuni
>waifushit
Persona

thank you.
it doesn't only apply to JRPGs btw.

even though I get filtered hard by Soulsgames, I tried DS1 and Sekiro and ended up enjoying it most of the time.
JRPGs having too much text is what triggers me the most

Give me the tldr of the tldr because I don't care

Yeah, but it's comfy.

Attached: comfy.png (846x552, 453.2K)

You made me drop this board, bye niggers

>Grandia battle system is generic
Ok newfag

Forgot to mention, heard Xenogears has a great story too. Currently playing through it and I'm enjoying it so far
Heard Valkyrie Profile is great too, it's the next game on my backlog, but not sure where it would belong on the list

JRPG stories are usually low quality trash compared to VNs.

maybe people dont like it, not just zoomers, because they expected a game with gameplay and not a book?

>heard SaGa is good
Romancing Saga is good, the original trilogy is an acquired taste at best. The first two games have an aggressively nonstandard growth system—the first game has three races with ENTIRELY different growth systems; humans consume items to gain stats, mutants have a random chance of gaining stats/learning spells after a battle, monsters are completely static and can change to another static form by consuming the meat of killed enemies. The plot of the first game is also the most murderhobo (to use a /tg/ term) shit I've seen from Square until Stranger In Paradise one-upped it, your characters are trying to climb a tower just because it's there and they have no qualms about just offing people for any reason. The final boss is God and you kill him because you're mad he made the tower in the first place. Characters have lives, a finite amount of times they can be revived before they're permanently dead and have to be replaced with a newly recruited party member, and weapons have durability.

Second game is a lot better than the first with a slightly more involved story, some standardization between humans and mutants (monsters are the same), and a new Robot race that's entirely static but gains boosts to all stats based on equipment worn.

Third SaGa game is completely different than the first two, made by the same dev team as Mystic Quest, and has a standard level up system, standard spells, basically a Final Fantasy game in all but name (and it was given a Final Fantasy name in localization). Does have an interesting mechanic where characters can shift back and forth from human/mutant to either robot or monster by eating monster meat/scavenging robot parts after battle, changing their stats and growth until they change back with an in-universe machine. I haven't played the remake but I guess they made it a lot closer to the first two SaGa games, probably for the best, while keeping the unique change mechanic

>murderhobo
Nice. Thanks for the writeup, user

Attached: 1460238646319.png (1703x1080, 1.44M)

elden ring is WSJARPG (western style japanese action-role-playing game) because it doesn't have that manga artstyle that people are comfortable with

In newer gens, unfortunately

get in the bag

Crpg

This is a JRPG.

Attached: 1634254976098.png (300x168, 111.25K)

It isn't
Pic related is a JRPG btw

Attached: Screenshot-2022-01-09-004319.jpg (894x441, 53.33K)

Persona 5. I stopped at 25 hours game time because it felt like I only really played for 2 of those hours. No wonder Japs usually adapt vidya into anime...

sovl

Attached: ezgif-2-a59352ddfb.jpg (1024x768, 80.64K)