Post your actual criticisms of this game. Prove you aren't a blind fanboy

Post your actual criticisms of this game. Prove you aren't a blind fanboy.

Attached: super-mario-bros.jpg (1600x1067, 335.95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2lNNxsWIe_o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It was the Dark Souls of the Donkey Kong Franchise.

it doesnt let me poop my pants hard enough while playing it

Too hard. Not enough cutscenes. Not on PS4. Bosses are an outdated concept.

A lot of the levels feel samey when it's the same assets and similar layout for 8 whole worlds.

>hidden continue feature
I know the game has warp pipes, but it's not the same.

its just a little bit derivative i mean mushrooms, come on???

>reusing the same boss 8 times

The momentum is fucking stupid, why does Mario have to do a little two step shuffle forward after certain jumps. He should land where I land him.

too small

hahaha cheers x

Hidden convenience mechanics that still don't fall under cheatcode still hold up, filters shitters and in-the-know players have a good time, it would still be discovered and posted on youtube/reddit/twitter in like an hour but there will be players that will go spoiler-free anyways

Bowser fights with progressive difficulty will always be better than shitty goddamn koopaling fights.
t. smb and jsmb2fag

No vertical scrolling.

you can't even scroll the screen backwards. artificial difficulty. poor game design.

You can't go to the left

A+start

too long

The run mechanic is pretty unintuitive.
If you press A there's immediate feedback.
If you press B there's no feedback unless you also move at the same time, which most players aren't gonna do when they're first figuring out the controls.
To make matters worse, if you press B with a Fire Flower you do get immediate feedback, so it's easy to assume that the B button only exists as the Fire Flower button.
It was simply handled poorly and it's surprising that every Mario game with a run button has handled it the same way since, I guess it's just tradition at this point.

Attached: mariorun.png (578x677, 274.35K)

that would feel unnatural

I legit have to criticisms of the first super Mario Brothers or the first legend of zelda. They're both groundbreaking and given the year they came out I don't think it's possible to improve on them

Alex Kidd in Miracle World is superior in every way

so how would you implement this on a NES controller then.

If you used a starman you didn't beat the game

I feel like something as simple as having Mario run on the spot when you press and hold B would work, it's how 3D World did it iirc

visual feedback that Mario is sprinting

no story

More of a console criticism but I think the NES sounds like shit.

It's old and it sucks

>Game has bad physics

Should have played the Famicom version
youtube.com/watch?v=2lNNxsWIe_o

No opening tutorial, almost no story, no cussing or shooting, too hard

this is an inherent positive

Lakitu doesn't throw spiny eggs properly. They go straight down in-game when they should have been harder to dodge.

Holy shit this is actually true. I've had this game for 30 years and I never knew about this.

Bowser fights are straight up filler. I'm sure they could have given him somewhat of a propper attack pattern without wasting cart space. Just make him jump from one side to another and aim fireballs at the player.
Hell you can totally damageboost through him in every world

reminder:

>if you used fire flower
>if you used the mushroom
>if you used the continue code
>if you used a warp pipe
>if you used stars
>if you ever collected 100 coins and gave yourself a 1-up
>if you used the 1-up glitch
>if you played as green mario

you didn't beat the game.

I thought it was awesome when Adventure Island did it, the game was so hard when I was a kid it was like an event getting far enough to see what transformation the next boss was going to have, and getting your shit kicked in so much made you appreciate seeing the next one because you'd fight the previous ones so much.

Attached: aibosses.png (800x178, 14.64K)

I'm a diehard segafag, and even I don't agree with this.
I can't stand Miracle World, but like almost all the others.

Attached: 1620707912633.png (1646x1080, 14.66K)

I feel like a lot of kids would've saved a lot of time if they just gave it a continue screen like jsmb2 has.

no appearance by dk wtf nindenDOPES finish the story!

The physics are bat shit

one button jumps but the other seemingly does nothing until you get a fire flower but at that point you wouldnt know it could be used to fire, let alone that you can also run while holding it

I guess I don't like the lack of save feature, but the SNES remake fixed that.

basically what the other user said

>if you used a warp pipe
You literally use pipes in the last level to progress. Not to mention the undeground and underwater levels.

you didn't beat the game

everyone knows warp pipe means level skip not the fucking area transition yo ufag.

It's too repetitive, there's a reason everyone uses the warp pipes to skip half of the game

Add
>if you died at all

Not being able to save/continue and completely restarting was a pretty annoying issue. I know you have warp pipes but doing 1-1 and 1-2 got annoying pretty quick

Hard for me to say, I've played it so much most of my critique is pretty standard fare. World 8 sucks nut, I feel like enemy placement jumps between too sparse and clearly overloaded to pad for time, most platforming is too easy but that's because it was the first of its kind, really so its only fair.

just get infinite lives

WarioLand 2 does that and feels fine. Might be other examples but I never played many other 2D Mario games because they usually have momentum problems with regards to controls like Super Mario Bros.

>if you used rivers of shrooms you didn't beat the game!
cope seethe

Trial and error maze sections are annoying.

>automatic run speed holding only left/right
>crouching while holding left/right does the duckwalk thing from Galaxy and most 3D games, this is the original walkspeed now
>B is now free to ascend into even wackier shit

Just have Mario run in place when you press the button. 3D Land and World do that

The biggest issue with the game is that it's designed around a series of challenges, that, individually, aren't particularly hard, but just punishes you for fucking up so harshly that you're forces to play super carefully, even though being able to skip to the level you want or continue trivializes much of it. There was a time where it might have been the best game of its genre, but modern indie platformers have surpassed it.

read the manual