When did you realize that indie games are better than AAA games?

When did you realize that indie games are better than AAA games?

Attached: terraria.jpg (1920x1200, 370.01K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UTc7yhgtt-M
youtu.be/17IZjvr5c1I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

less money sunk into a project means there's less risk to do something actually creative

Terraria? THAT'S the example you chose?

Whats wrong with terraria user? Best fucking dollar I have ever spent. And yes it is a fucking indie

Let me guess, you think it’s a Minecraft ripoff

Around the time I realized that no I don't want to spend 100 hours in your almost photo realistic open world grinding side quests.
I would rather spend 8 hours slashing monsters and exploring in this game that kinda reminds me of SotN.
No I longer need to look back on the Super Nintendo ear with nostalgia, new 2D games keep coming out.

Like 15 years ago user where u bin?

>widespread appeal over a decade
>garnered so much appeal for its building and power ups it has COUNTLESS mods just so it can extended that adventure, that journey, again and again

Terraria is a powerhouse unmatched by ANYTHING in the indie scene, developers both indie and AAA can only hope and pray that efforts could even match a tenth of Terraria's magic, skill and wonder.

>muh mod scene
>tmodloader still isn't updated
OH NO NO NO TERRASISTERS

Spelunky, Hollow Knight, Hyper Light Drifter, Slay the Spire. All fantastic games made by a handful of people.
For fucks sake Undertale and Stardew Valley, regardless of your opinion on them, were a cultural phenomenon and each made by just one guy with only partial assistance.

Oh you are one of those butt hurt faggots that liked the other game that came out after that copied it that I can't remember the fucking name of cause it was so shit. Star something or moon something or some shit fucked if I care

what? are you okay?

Attached: f14f1c4dd354a0b3e006030b0dc0165ab54aecb1b120373286e10afdf96e8969.jpg (600x594, 34.75K)

yeah, it's like bringing a nuclear warhead to a knife fight

Attached: pogger.jpg (356x479, 27.98K)

It's coming in a month. Alpha is stable now. Kinda annoying they only have one Dev helping with development.

I've been having a lot of fun playing master/hardcore/Large world again, giving my npc niggas themed homes

AAA shit I usually play for 3 days then never touch again outside of Doom 2016 and Eternal.

Terraria is amazingly comfy.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (2560x1440, 2.66M)

I don't pay attention to shit like that, I just play good games.

>When did you realize that indie games are better than AAA games?
The release of Terraria might be about when. I may have bought a full priced AAA game since then, but if I have it hasn't been many.

I'm not alone in this when I say that Terraria has become a game I measure other games against. So I see nothing wrong with OP choosing it as an example.

when i realized all AAA games have the same controls, one of two standardized camera perspectives and 1 of like 5 different derivative streamlined gameplay types

you sure about that bro?
youtu.be/UTc7yhgtt-M

Attached: fitmeme2_d.png (1246x1525, 734K)

is it really? damn I cant wait

terraria is the best $10 I've ever spent in my entire life and probably will continue to be the case, how the fuck did such a simple concept do so well? back when I first started playing it they just introduced the jungle but I've played it consistently for over a decade now

how do people learn to play games like this? every time I want to play I realise I don't know how to build a npc house and don't wanna google

the guide tells you what to do, and there is also a system in the inventory that checks rooms you click on and will tell you what is still needed to make a functional npc house

thankyou, maybe ill play it after all

Yeah.

no problem bro, really easy too in the inventory in the upper right there's a couple icons, one is a house. It shows all the NPCs that have moved in and the question mark you can click, then click on a room you've built. The rest will be obvious

When i realize i spent more time playing stardew valley than elden ring

When Noita got released.

When I saw that they're consistently 1/6 to 1/3 the price of a AAA game.

What are you supposed to do in Terraria? I always just build a bit, then mine, then get bored and quit.

You kill the bosses

How much money do you think they’d want for a terraria 2?

When I realized I have over 5k hours in Terraria on Steam, split between Terraria and all three versions of TML, and when I noticed every single one of my AAA games are at 12 hours or less. All completed, of course.

When I realized that the only AAA game I played in the last few years was Far Cry 5 and it was worse than 3
Gen Z ruined discussion of Terraria because you can't even talk shit about any sort of flaw without having autists screech about it.
>magic, skill and wonder
They fucked up its development by making the game combat-heavy after hardmode instead of focusing on its strength; exploration and discovery. A few hours into hardmode and you can absolutely decimate almost every type of terrain in the game extremely fast save for the Lihzard temple. They didn't do shit, they caught lightning in a bottle, what actually carried the game was its modding compatibility, note how almost every super-popular indie game has modding compatibility, it's like a cheat code to make the game very replayable and have fools think that what they enjoyed when they played with mods was the game itself and not the user-made content.
>1.4 took 3 years of development and it's mostly quality of life changes and rather soft content there and there, compared to the 5 years it took to make everything from the start of the game to Moon Lord
>Master mode is just Expert but with bloated numbers
>obscure luck mechanic that used to slightly passively punish you for not putting the right kind of torches, no way of actually knowing how it works other than by checking the wiki
>stupid anti-progression-dodging changes that people will defend for no reason
>outsourced Otherworld to a random company that was about as lazy as Re-Logic
>thoroughly reworked modding and subsequently didn't offer any aid for Tmodloader development despite making it official
They should've spent less time chatting on Discord and hanging around in the office ball pit, but they got so much money out of the game they don't have any obligation nor drive to really work on it anymore, and probably not a sequel either.

its a weird paced game, in the beginning it's more relaxed, fishing, building, mining, exploring the different biomes, with a hint of bosses. Most of it is exploring in the start, then there's a specific boss you beat at which part after that the game turns into more of a boss rush, you can still do everything else it just basically changes the formula enough to give a different feel. Mechanics are constantly changing with each boss fight, some boss fights will introduce entirely new biomes into the pre-existing areas so you'll go back to areas you explored previously to see new enemy types and whatnot.

Terraria's major mechanic selling point is that it changes the same areas multiple times so even though you explore one place, you'll wind up coming back to it for a completely different reason multiple times later

Is pathologic 2 a indie game?

$20

Terraria is in it's own fucking league within it's genre.
No other game vying for it's audience even comes close.

This. Terraria is the only game in its weight class. It's fucking crazy, honestly.

i dont even know how the fuck they did it other than spending literally over a decade just adding content for the hell of it, easily one of my top 3 games of all time though personally next to minecraft and deep rock galactic

I realized indie games were the best when I played Rain World

Attached: FuckVultures.webm (1280x720, 1.92M)

When 3 noname shitposters from australia made one of the greatest games of all time to the point where every single other game in the same genre, past, present or future, will be compared to it.

rainworld is also amazing. 10/10

Attached: teamcherry.png (1010x733, 290.16K)

I want her to spit in my mouth

When I first played insurgency (source version)

Indies are goon but only in some genres. Good luck making an indie rpg that isn’t some tiny tumblresque minigame about depression or some shit

needs more diversity. abominations like this shouldn't happen anymore.

playing this gem around the time it was first released

Attached: Spelunky.jpg (359x278, 25.48K)

I will never forget playing it on school computers. Great times.

>tfw has a nice terraria server
>kinda want to share with Yea Forums
>expecting the autists to enter and they start fucking shit up with hacking

Don't talk anymore

Attached: 1608147243459.jpg (1080x1075, 128.9K)

Terraria has good game feel.

Are you dumb or what. AAA games are designed to appeal to the widest audience possible hence why they have things nobody loves but things anyone can like.
In call of duty i can get online with my friends and shoot other people. 99% of the population can understand and enjoy that
In hollow knight im a fucking bug thing and i can only play alone and all the other bugs hate me and want to kill me and also the game requires hours and hours of dedication, my only reward for completion being an even harder boss

Try harder, not giving a (you) for low effort.

Attached: rare bait.jpg (392x500, 18.31K)

just make a copy and test it, though i dont trust any niggers on this site to not do some super hacker shit with my IP

>what actually carried the game was its modding compatibility

Nigger please, I've never had the desire to play modded Terraria and when my friends and I get a server going it's vanilla. You faggot autists and your tranny calamity mod can turn it sideways and shove it up your ass. How in the fuck you people find 30 worm edit bosses and sprite work that conflicts with the base game fun to play is beyond me, kys.

Okay but have you heard how sick the music in Calamity is?
youtu.be/17IZjvr5c1I

Sounds like gay touhou shit, kys

Attached: 1613141005127.jpg (1024x1008, 47.75K)

I don't like Calamity, can't believe there are enough grown up gen Z in Terraria threads that it actually gets earnestly discussed without being overwhelmingly shit on for being an autism mod.
Mods are often why a lot of people think the games are great, not on the game's own merits but because they downloaded the cool and "cool" mods available online. Rimworld is probably one of the best examples because the game itself is barebones even with the DLCs, but almost every time people remember how cool it was that they shot the bandits and whatever they often include modded shit not present in vanilla.
I'd say Terraria is good vanilla, but not the divine golden "literally saved the century" game the people that grew up playing it claim it to be.

>not liking touhou music
You deserve your shit taste

Attached: 1489818524983.jpg (540x596, 53.02K)

tranistioning fingers typed this post

I'm gonna transition my dick from my pants into your ass faggot, keep talking shit and see.

Around 2017. The last AAA games that left any kind of long lasting positive impression on me with the exception of Half Life: Alyx were Prey (2017) and Nier: Automata, since then every time I do remember a AAA game for something it was either how bad it fucked something up or how much more time it needed in the oven before release to iron out bugs and certain game design issues.

Pretty much 99% of the best games I've played since 2017 that were actually good costed less than $35.

Attached: 1405996428626.gif (300x271, 943.32K)

It used to be universally adored on Yea Forums, the last update soured a lot of people on it.

I still remember the day terraria came out in 2011, I had like 50 friends on steam and like a good 60% of them were ALL playing terraria at once. The only game I've seen even come close to doing something like that is Elden Ring, and the fact that people still talk about it and play it 11 years later is a testament to how actually good it was and how deserving it is to be used as an example.