Valve is Anti-DRM

I was filling out the Gundam Evolution playtest survey and linked the Steamworks page for Proton Anti-Cheat Support in hopes the devs would support EAC on Linux. Was reading through it and apparently Valve straight up recommends devs to not use DRM. How the fuck do games still use this shit when it doesn't work, users hate it and your platform explicitly tells you not to use it?

Attached: ValveStanceOnDRM.png (1024x356, 64.73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

steam.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games
partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/drm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

(swarthy hands clasped tightly)

Based Gaben revealing how all DRM is the fault of the publisher and admits denovo and easy anti-cheat fuck up performance

Money

Don't you need to spend money on these DRM solutions? And if your game gets cracked (which happens 90% of the time) it goes down the toilet.

They know piracy is a massive fucking boogeyman and that Denuvo Anti-Tamper is nothing but a bunch of grifters parading around the specter of billion of dollars in lost sale to sell their own over-priced solution.

>Valve creates the biggest DRM software
>Anti-DRM

Attached: 1649565978185.jpg (680x626, 46.87K)

>Why would jews prevent me from getting their product for free?
user...

Valve doesn't have to worry about DRM because they exclusively make multiplayer games.

because you will still buy it and you will still play it

>And if your game gets cracked (which happens 90% of the time) it goes down the toilet.
Games take months/years to be cracked.

When I buy your game and I don't get an exe installer to download that I can do with as I please, you have DRM.

Steam is not DRM
steam.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

Depends on how much the people that donate to the groups that crack these games pressure them on cracking the latest games.
Money is how the community steers work, after all. :^)

Steamworks drm is so fucking easy to crack than even a normalfag can do it in a day.

>he thinks this proves anything

You are just parroting dumb Yea Forums shitposting. Hardly anyone uses Steam DRM. And it's no where near in the same league as modern DRM.
>The Steam DRM wrapper... verifies game ownership and ensures that Steamworks features work properly by launching Steam before launching the game. The Steam DRM wrapper by itself is not an anti-piracy solution.
partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/drm

LOL

define drm

Steam as an overall package enhances my gaming experience. What DRM they put in there has never once affected me where I can think of countless times where other DRM has only made my experience worse.

SPBP.

>support EAC
Kill yourself. EAC is dogshit.

stop shitposting faggot nigger and try a game from this list yoursself
Denuvo
For the number of games Steam client is not required to run and thus steam cannot be considered DRM

that's too narrow a definition and is useless in meaningful discussion. fuck off

You dont need a runing steam client to play some games
Steam is not DRM
kill yourself right fucking now

So that's why badly cracked games boot up Steam? Well that's silly.

Can you launch your games without Steam running? Yes? Then how can Steam be DRM software?

Attached: 1599170783587.png (605x599, 435.99K)

>and linked the Steamworks page for Proton Anti-Cheat Support in hopes the devs would support EAC on Linux
God, no thank you. Giving any support to Linuxfags assures that your game will be utterly filled with autistic 45 year old balding cheat developers. It's how TF2 got its bot crisis

>Games take months/years to be cracked.
no the fuck they don't, unless they use denuvo they get cracked day 1 like elden ring and rise of the skywalker did

Never had that happen to me with Steam games. I did pirate FFVII Remake and that shit wouldn't launch without Epic Games Store running. It was easy to bypass but still.

Either a system or a validation that will prevent you from using your software as you wish once that validation, or system signals a fail.

Steam is a store.
Steamworks is DRM. It is also a lot of other things, but also DRM.
Not all games in steam have steamworks.

>not all games use steam as drm therefore steam is not drm
not all games use denuvo as drm either, i guess denuvo isn't drm

reasonable replies aren't allowed on 4channel. fuck off.

You can launch a game bought from steam while steam itself is deleted from pc

not all of them, bro

And?

List all of them.

Valve has always been against DRM, they just don't refuse it on their platform if some moron wants to add a 3rd party solution (denuvo, or in the old days shit like safedisc or starforce, the denuvo of the early 2000s that could kill your CD/DVD drive!) because publishers won't publish at all without them. However, all the morons (usually those who fap all day long over GOG) assume that any game on Steam has DRM and fuck up the definition of DRM in the first place. Any game that's on GOG, or Itch or anywhere DRM free for direct download, if also available on Steam, is also DRM free.

>but but what if if I have to download it with Steam
Well, you don't. There are plenty of utilities that let you download stuff provided you're logged in and its on your account etc. This has nothing to do with playing anyway. You can also backup any title you've downloaded from Steam locally and reinstall it without downloading, if you wish. - kind of outmoded now but before broadband it was useful for many.
>Can I run it without being online?
Sure. There's offline mode, plus a lot of games can be run directly from the executable from where you downloaded it.
>But those that dont PROVES IT DRM HAHAHAHA
Yeah, no. This is simply Steamworks, or some sort of other online/account service. The game expects to be able to query a server somewhere for your player account , for your username, friends list, connection to services like achievements and other SteamAPI features so if it can't do that, it shuts down. However, there's a very simple way around this. Simply go to the Steamapi.ini in most titles and change the field that's usually like "steamworks_online=1" to a 0 and you're good.. This is a major reason why cracking games that only have Steam "protection" is done instantaneously because there's no actual protection. Now there IS actually a Steamworks DRM module but it wasn't popular even a decade ago and its less so now, and will be listed if it is in use. Steam =/=DRM

If you play an online game, obviously that shit requires Steam to allow the game to communicate with other Steam players

It's pretty easy to do it by accident when you get a clean copy from cs.rin.
>assume all you need to do it replace the steam API dll
>try to open game
>oops! here's steam
And then you remember to try Steamless.

>And?
and in the cases where steam is used as drm, steam is drm.

You mean steamworks

>buy games
>hear that DRM/anti cheat causes performance issues
>"it can't be that bad"
>find out how to disable DRM
>mfw
it's disgusting how big the difference is, maplestory which is notorious for cheaters runs like how a 2D pixel game should run on a computer. Monster Hunter and Elden Ring are also pretty smooth. I don't do much multiplayer games, but I can only imagine the frustration of having DRM get you killed.

Attached: 6023321741_7496797d0d_z.jpg (427x640, 73.81K)

you're not fucking retarded, just your brain is fucking retarded. you'd be a very smart and successful person if it wasn't for your retarded brain holding you back.

Steam DRM is a part of Steamworks, but Steamworks is not synonymous with DRM. Steamworks is a gaming API does many other things that have nothing to do with digital rights.

samefag post worst post

If Steam was DRM, then why would they need Denuvo and Easy Anti Cheat?

>and in the cases where steam is used as drm
Go ahead and name all the modern games that use Steam DRM, we'll wait

mostly shitty indie games that also think steam is free marketing

lol Retard

Attached: uhhhh.gif (250x200, 2.78M)

Okay but is there a case where Denuvo isn't DRM?

found the failed indie developer. ubisoft take you back yet?

Why the fuck does it even matter that Steam DRM exists? It's so easy to crack and literally no games use it for anti-piracy. It may as well not exist at all.

yeah. elden ring. dunuvo is not drm for elden ring.

Dumb schizo.

Some games get cracked on the first day of release. The only ones that don't get cracked within the first week are ones that introduce new versions of Denuvo, and once that new version is cracked, every other game using it gets cracked.

>once that new version is cracked, every other game using it gets cracked.
Yea? Where's Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 Remastered cracked, then? Where's Guardians of the Galaxy? Where's Far Cry 6?

lol you want those?

>linux
That's your problem, senpai.

>Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 Remastered
Why would you even bother? The original versions work just as well.
Guardians of the Galaxy is something that no one cared for since the start. The people saying it was "surprisingly decent" are just shills. Far Cry 6 is just another fucking Far Cry game, why the fuck would you even bother with it, let alone any Ubishit?

The way these DRM companies do it is they offer the publisher an anti piracy guarantee that it won't be cracked for a certain amount of time and if it IS cracked before then, the publisher's money is refunded. So for them, there is literally 0 reason to not use it. They don't give a fuck if the end user experience is impacted. This is why you keep old fucks in suits away from your hobbies.

Source: I used to work for 3 of the big AAA companies (I don't recommend it)

Most of the games I own on steam have zero DRM. I even keep backups locally on my own PC in ZIP files that I can simply extract on other PCs any time I want, Steam not required.
Guessing you're a retard zoomer who dosn't even know what a file or folder even is and bases your opinions purely off of memes like a retard.

steam is barely above GOG in terms of DRM