Is it just nostalgia or did Animal Crossing never really manage to ever reach this level of soul ever again?

Is it just nostalgia or did Animal Crossing never really manage to ever reach this level of soul ever again?

Attached: 27496-animal-crossing-gamecube-front-cover.jpg (800x1122, 142.53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YaOeX76DzK0
youtube.com/watch?v=3mmu60CNl0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=gZt3WTseftE
animalcrossing.fandom.com/wiki/Dōbutsu_no_Mori_e+
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's not just nostalgia. The only exception might be Dobutsu no Mori e+.

It never reached that level of soul again, the Gamecube game is something else. The villagers all had more personality somehow.

New Horizons sucks in comparison to that or New Leaf

No, that's about right. For a game like this you can't really make a sequel that's better or as good, you can only drag things out.

It has its own unique charm but expecting it to hold onto that as the series advances is pointless. That charm comes from the fact that it was a fresh idea being played with for the first time, under the specific limitations of its time.
You can recreate the core formula but so long as it's not literally the same game, the things that are different will stand out over the things that are the same. In a way, "soul" is often only appreciated once you have something to compare it to.
The western release of Animal Crossing is also something that can't be recaptured, due to the way it was translated. That could never happen again.

>The villagers all had more personality somehow
because they would constantly shift personalities and weren't afraid being rude as fuck at times, they felt genuine
nowadays they're just there to be wholesome and friendly, not much else

>another gamecubebabby thread
I miss 2009 Yea Forums, wasn't full of gamecube drones back then.

No. That level of soul will never be achieved again, even the commercials were kino.
youtube.com/watch?v=YaOeX76DzK0

Attached: 1578998247796.gif (500x500, 970.8K)

The early 00s Nintendo commercials were pure SOUL.
youtube.com/watch?v=3mmu60CNl0Y

Wild World was pretty good, too. I remember being a bit mad that it was downscaled for the handheld and missing the original leitmotifs in the soundtrack, but I really began to appreciate it ever since I found out that Japanese anime movie existed and it's because of that film alone that Wild World sort of has a soft spot in my heart alongside all the memories I had playing it both at home and on the go.

Attached: 3CGicdg.jpg (352x288, 27.12K)

Shut the fuck up faggot

Video games are about DOING things, making things happen. Animal Crossing flipped that on it's head; it was about having things happen TO you, about experiencing life and the world within the game for better or for worse. Villager painted your roof? Too bad. Can I trim these bushes? No, fuck you. Didn't get a shirt from Gracie? Better luck next time... whenever that is. Only need one more fish? Cool, hope you get lucky and fish one up in the right place at the right time nine months from now. There's even a character who will unleash a mountain of shit on you for attempting to go against this philosophy. This is primarily where the game's SOVL comes from.

Every single subsequent game chips away at this philosophy until we get to the point where you have dominion over the very earth itself. It's a good game in some ways but it runs completely contrary to what the original, as an artwork as much as as a video game, was about, and that's why it's a sterile, soulless husk.

Why is it that I even find stuff like this charming? Surely it can't all be nostalgia.

Attached: Animal Crossing ambiance.webm (1280x720, 2.89M)

aw, gamecubebabby gonna cry?

Maybe something about the limitations of the hardware causing them to make interesting creative decisions?

Yes

It never reached that soul ever again. Every entry kept getting worse and moving further away from what I enjoyed to begin with. Now it's just a dollhouse sim for the type of women who take photos of the breakfast and post in social media as if anyone cares.

I played the gamecube version and the wii ones as a kid but don't really like the 3ds and switch ones. Should I go back and replay city folk or are there any cool mods for the gamecube one?

I never considered it this way, but it makes perfect sense.

Attached: 1640821282142.gif (200x254, 1.37M)

ive only played one animal crossing game but seeing as most gamecube games seem to have been the peaks of their series I could see it

SNES, N64, and GC
It was a different time.

>TFW used to play this with my mom and she woke me up one time to do a special event that required it to be 2am
;_;

it's close to the definition of soul, a new ip, new idea, unique gameplay they had no idea how it would be recieved
perfect example of japanese quirk

Then why do people hate rune factory 5?

RF5 made zero interesting creative decisions.

>booted up new horizons for the first time in 4 months
>the villagers just have one line about me being gone for awhile then its just back to normal as if nothing ever happened
soulless as fuck

RF5 did nothing in terms of creativity
It simply runs poor and that's it

Oh yeah, the glory days when this site was filled with even more insecure 13 year olds than it is now. I understand why you want to go back. To be among your kind.

>Is it just nostalgia
Yes. That and childish complaining about “muh NES roms.” While the aesthetics, music, and animal dialogue can all be argued to have value over later games, people forget that the GameCube game had:
>mailing fossils one by one
>dramatically smaller and less organized inventory space
>manual saving (and annoying “punishments” if you forgot to)
>nothing except flowers to decorate your outside spaces
>nauseating screen scrolling based on square acres
>literally nothing to do after your daily fossil hunt (especially after finishing the museum)
And so much more (or less, technically). You’ll see Yea Forums posters cream themselves over the nostalgia of booting the game up again, but you never hear of said posters continuing to play the game months or even weeks after that initial rush. The series has progressed so much more. Even Wild World is a better game.

>New Horizons is soulles-

Attached: 5723316cv13d.jpg (1000x562, 78.75K)

>gimmick that gets annoying almost immediately
>made obsolete by bridges
>"soul"

s

Peak of the franchise in terms of soul, but in terms of content, it's very lacking.

Quality > quantity

Right on the money about what has gone wrong with so many videogames, unless it's about getting some cents out of the player devs are death scared of their game being "inconvenient".

For me it's the soundtrack.
Original has the best soundtrack by far.
youtube.com/watch?v=gZt3WTseftE

Attached: 1584404558888.png (400x300, 161.92K)

>He doesn't know what soul is
Lurk more tranny

>its le soul because I said so
acnh is the definition of soulless, dilate

>Original has the best soundtrack by far.
That would be New Leaf.

All of the AC games are pretty barebones but the GameCube game showed a lot of potential. Sadly each sequel came out worse than the last.

>acnh is the definition of soulless
Cope

Attached: image.jpg (640x138, 23.17K)

I've only played GC and New Leaf, and the villagers in New Leaf are enormous downgrade.
In GC villagers would actually discuss things with you and came off like they were having an earnest conversation.
In New Leaf the villagers are vapid cunts who only repeat the same ad-libbed lines with a seemingly endless variety specific foods they can reference, and tell you about this new shirt they're wearing when they've been wearing the exact same shirt for six months on end.

The character dialogue is the best in the entire series, same with the character models.

I miss villager with horns

Attached: file.png (860x873, 281.62K)

New horizons is a twitter tranny game, soulless garbage.

Trannies hate NH. You're thinking of City Folk.

Camera view was more kino. AC:WW fucked all that up by showing the sky.

Because RF5 was soulless trite.

It depends on what qualities you like in the series. Later AC games give you a lot of freedom when it comes to designing your town, letting you place buildings, terraform, control what your villagers wear and furnish their houses with, what villagers live in your town and how long they stay, you can control all of it. When the creator of the series was making the first game, he wanted to convey the feeling of being a complete stranger moving into a small, tight-knit community, something that he experienced as a child. As a result of this, a lot of things are out of your control. Villagers start out indifferent towards you, with some even picking on you and taking your items. But as you continue to play they start to warm up to you and accept you into the community. It helps that villagers generally had a lot more to say compared to the later games, they could tell stories, gossip, get into arguments and shit. And although it's true that there's not much to do after you do your daily lap around town, the same is true for every game in the series. The later entries didn't improve on the gameplay at all, they just turned it into a glorified dollhouse.

There's nothing to do in any of the games past your dailies

This isn't tru...

>WW best zelda
>F-Zero GX best F-Zero
>Melee best smash
>Metroid Prime best Metroid
>Animal Crossing best Animal Crossing
>Double Dash best Mario Kart
>gekitou ninja taisen 4 best naruto

Well shit.

-s garbage that quite literally threw out everything fun about the series and turned it into an obsessive dollhouse simulator

The Japs don't know what's good, the Nintendo Treehouse had to fix the original AC to the point where the Nintendo of Japan said "oh wait that's actually good lemme get that back"

>sales = good

>the Nintendo Treehouse had to fix the original AC to the point where the Nintendo of Japan said "oh wait that's actually good lemme get that back"
[citation needed]

Those aren't sales numbers. It was a poll done on people's favorite games and NH came out at #4.

well shit. i guess japan is retarded then

Attached: 1535747164046.jpg (663x579, 37.58K)

animalcrossing.fandom.com/wiki/Dōbutsu_no_Mori_e+

Attached: file.png (529x289, 76.99K)

soulless

>all of this shit taste
>Narutard
Not even surprised.

This game came out a year after I was born
So no nostalgiafaggotry whatsoever, yes it has more "soul"

>This game came out a year after I was born

Attached: You must be 18+ to post here.gif (400x300, 22.14K)

user...

Animal Crossing switched from you moving into a town into you becoming the central figure of a town. Everyone only cares about what YOU do and YOU have total control over everything in YOUR dollhouse
Villagers can't be mean or have their own relationships because all they can do is talk to you about yourself and all the stuff you did

It's tricky. There's definitely some genuine points for the first game, but nostalgia certainly overblows how much they actually affected the game. Likely the biggest aspect that helped the first game stand out was that it had a far more loose approach due to the game not being a surefire hit. It actually stood as a piece of satire towards the everyman's life, contrasted with the cutesy and humble town the game took place in. Newer games aren't necessarily worse, but they did lose that kind of bite as the series evolved.

>Animal Crossing switched from you moving into a town into you becoming the central figure of a town.
But why? This goes against the entire inspiration that gave birth to the series in the first place.

That user is 19 or 20.

They gave the series to a woman while Nogami ran off to make squid lolis

>nothing to do after fossils/museum
So turn the game off and play something else. Not every game needs 10,000 hours of content. AC was never meant to be played all day every day. Modern autists want to play the same game 16 hours every day.

because the series was popular with japanese housewives who didn't like villagers being mean to them and wanted to spend more time decorating