She Right Though

Attached: 1629335234003.png (607x845, 97.42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/proprietary/
gnu.org/proprietary/malware-games.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This but unironically. Good localization always beats a good translation.

Unironically yes. Japanese is a dry, boring language, so a translation needs to be punched up to convey the author's exact meaning and intent in a more vibrant language.

Why is it so hard for people to just do the job they've been hired to do? If you want to write something, go write something. Your translation gig isn't the place for that. Have some fucking respect for the people whose work has been put in your hands.

too bad the most outspoken for localizers are also shitters who want their memes and shit in the localization

is playing a localized game the ultimate cuckoldry?
think about it logically.
a japanese man spent months writing story and characters, just for some pink haired 80iq weeb to ruin it all with memes, pop culture references, and poor writing abilities.

Never played a poorly localized game. Sorry that you had another man splatter his semen on your face, tho'.

I’m not reading any of that.
Fuck you.

That's not improving your translations, that's improving localizations.
Translation is literal.
Localization allows for creative adjustment.

>she
Doubtful

fuck this tranny
fuck your weeb shit
kys!!

Attached: 1649712206446m.jpg (1024x633, 56.64K)

if you've read a book originally published in a foreign language then you've most likely read the work of a translator who took liberties with the text. that said translators who force memes and act like spewing blue checkmark garbage cans are gay

Attached: s9nkodolmcq81 (1).jpg (1032x2236, 260.93K)

>daily "Meru is right" thread.
here's your (You), Meru. now kys.

STOP MAKING THIS FUCKING THREAD ALREADY

>Translation is literal
Twitter translator trannies need to get over themselves but "literal translation" is also not a thing. Huge chunks of language simply do not translate literally because other languages are not a Cipher over English words, they are their own unique structures of meaning.

I mean he wasn't interesting to begin with but what the fuck is this

Attached: 17d.jpg (800x480, 84.89K)

They know Japanese
You don't know Japanese
They are correct
You are wrong

Thank you for motivating me to keep learning OP

Attached: 1649787568559.gif (160x160, 810.59K)

Good localization is great, bad localization is the worst.
Good direct translation is okay, bad direct translation is meh.
Localization might offer higher reward, but it's also higher risk.

just because somebody can sing doesn't mean they'll never go off key

AGREED!

Attached: Skies of Arcadia.png (637x196, 82.65K)

You worthless faggot, actually learn something useful like Mandarin or Cantonese instead.
Even Cantonese: despite being one of the many Chinese languages, roughly 3 times as many speak it compared to Japanese. Not to mention, the weeb community is much bigger in China than in the west, so your favorite Jap games have already been translated into Mandarin most likely.
So not only will you have much more job opportunities (as opposed to being paid below minimum wage in Japan like the retarded foreigner you are; why else do you think they're pushing this whole "Japan loves foreigners"-bullshit?) but also play your pathetic little weeb games. Mandarin has a huge amount of ACG vocabulary from Japanese, shit like 的说. It has all the special vocab to represent your oh-so-beloved Japanese idiosyncrasies.

Not to mention, as a language, Japanese is a total clusterfuck. Unlike Vietnamese and Zhuang, who developed new characters coined on the same rebus principle as Mandarin character words, creating Chu Nom and Sawndip, Japanese, Koreans, and Ryukyuans resorted to clumsily trying to phonetically transcribe their native vocabulary with Chinese characters instead of mass creating new characters for their language. This went on until kana and hangul were effectively plagiarized and used for native words. Japanese and Korean words like Joseon, Silla were transcribed with Chinese characters based on phonetic transliteration.
It's like a bunch of retards got their hands on Chinese and didn't know what to do with it.

Attached: 1618949532128.jpg (1080x1080, 48.15K)

Rogue is getting fucked.

Attached: ff6-day06-019.png (1624x945, 71.18K)

>This thread again
I can easily go through google translator and translate better than these tranny nigger fuckers.

Attached: 1477364993599.jpg (202x181, 24.14K)

Yeah you said this in another thread Chang. Kill yourself.

FF6 is a terrible fucking game so I couldn't care less how much they fuck up its translation.

Attached: 1346658105968.jpg (577x597, 34.4K)

Easy way to get people who know fuck all about linguistics mad.

Translating anything into another language is a struggle between preserving the literal text of the original and preserving the essence in a way that makes sense in the new language, since every language has its own idiosyncracies that don't exist elsewhere. Being too formal gives you something that sounds like a cheap Chinese take-out menu, and being too dynamic gives you something so far removed from the original it's not even a translation as much as a paraphrase. Good translators have to find a middle ground.

Unless you're going to throw the same shitfit when someone says "bonjour" is French for "hello" when it literally means "good day," translations don't need to be (and, outside of academia, shouldn't be) 100% formal.

Attached: bibles-diagram.png (3841x2160, 1.89M)

tldr

>translate the entire conversation between saizo between other nigger to "......."
Treehouse is fucking incompetent but retards ate this kind of shit up because
>looool it give them actual character instead of being boring xD
I am not paying for fanfic

Attached: Lunar.jpg (730x1177, 156.06K)

Attached: 1645058816894.png (366x434, 199.15K)

if you wanted the pasta, you could have just asked.

Attached: 686.png (1400x5552, 1.31M)

>Unironically yes. Japanese is a dry, boring language,

People unironically think this and the result is Borderlands dialogue.

All right Yea Forums, if you're so smart, take a crack at this untranslatable Japenese text

Attached: 194201_頁面_07.png (1354x2013, 189.61K)

I'm tired of pozzed translations but I'm also tired of seeing this same twitter screencap everyday you faggot

Unironically based. Everyone who bitches about "muh inaccurate translation" doesn't understand just how stilted and boring (and often nonsensical) Japanese is when literally translated to English. They don't comprehend that a significant portion of the -meaning- is completely lost with such a simple translation. Good, experienced translators like the ones in OP's pic will go above and beyond a direct translation in order to convey the actual meaning of the text, what the author wants the reader to see.

All right Yea Forums, if you're so smart, take a crack at this untranslatable Japenese text

Attached: 1617484242116.png (908x875, 986.48K)

>commies in cali injecting their shit just like commies in china
always go fan translation that adhere to the source, everything else is fake and gay

That person might be right, but it doesn't mean that's whats happening. Instead people are changing the overall tone of the narrative and injecting things that were never conveyed in the original.
That and Japanese puns. Those will always be the nightmare of the translator, both amateur or professional. Amateur because they may not realize the pun itself, professional because there is no general translation for it that still convey its comedic tone.

>noo, I only want smelly men in my hobby, preferably racist and transphobic!

Yes.

fag

This.
Amazing how they're the same peple who claim to care about representation and other cultures but have no issue with butchering and Americanizing.

You need a valid identity to be represented, racist sensibilities that come from WW2 aren't valid just because it was made people that weren't white.

If that's all they were doing, fine, but what they really do is try to Americanize protagonists and change things like turning a sleeve-tug into a shoulder-tap because they consider it demeaning behavior for women.

You have to actually have respect for the source and expect that the audience will want the intent of the characters to be as close as possible, but few really have those expectations, the respect or patience to supply that

No, and if you hate Japanese writing so much then maybe play Western shit?

Japanese is fascinating culture, but there is a lot of racism buried in the culture. People have a right to experience the pure essence of Japanese culture without that racism.

This. So much this. This right here, folks. This.

Brilliant! I wish I could upvote your post.

Angloshpere genocide WHEN?

That's why English translators don't translate from the Japanese script, they translate from the Chinese script nowadays.

Attached: qmpvdxjx24q81.png (570x254, 5.74K)

this sounds kinda sus

Attached: 1628719161806.jpg (1280x720, 73.02K)

Attached: Why_Spend.png (500x537, 224.21K)

Localization isn't a science, so mouthbreathers who think everything should be a 1:1 exact translation are lightless husks masquerading as humans and should be ignored, if not eradicated for the good of real humanity. A Japanese game set in Japan should probably maintain the honorifics, whereas a Japanese game set literally anywhere else can probably eschew that. As long as you maintain the scenes authorial intent, I don't really care about the verbiage used. Treehouse fucked up FE Fates because they seemed to treat some of the writing with scorn, like it needed to be fixed. You're not hired to sanitize what you perceive as bad writing, you're hired to make the prose flow well in English and have it carry the proper context and intent. How you manage that is very flexible, but you must adhere to that rule.

Attached: 429.png (918x669, 258.43K)

>mouthbreathers who think everything should be a 1:1 exact translation
Literally nobody thinks that.

I can't tell if this is satire or not

Daily EOP thread. I hope the localization industry collapses so I don't need to see faggot opinions on this board every day.

>that said translators who force memes
Even without it sounding annoying, it's still a bad idea because you're showing the scripts age the moment some awful reddit meme you used falls out of popularity a year later. Unless you have a character who is supposed to be like some shitty redditor, but usually that isn't the case. This is basic writing 101 stuff, I'm amazed so many people make that mistake.

racism in writing is a way bigger problem

Japanese is so functionally different from English that transliteration is not possible. You will have to interpret meaning and try to convey the essence of the message or else you will end up with the equivalent of a Japanese person reading a literal translation of an English phrase like, “yeah, and Bob’s your Uncle,” which would make no sense to them without reworking it to get the meaning across (sarcastically claiming disbelief at someone’s claim).

I don't see why any of that means they have to add memes, lgbt, and feminist shit in to it.

"I want to read what the authors/writers wrote instead of fan fiction made up by californians"
>REEE DONT YOU KNOW THAT JAPANESE DOESNT 1:1 ENGLISH
>NOOOO YOU HAVE TO LISTEN TO TRANSLATORS POINTLESS MEME DRIVEL BECAUSE JAPANESE LACKS THE HUSTLE AND BUSTLE OF URBAN AMERICAN FOLX
>OH YOU ARE SO SMART HUH? TRANSLATE THIS WALL OF TEXT. OH YOU CANT? GUESS YOU HAVE TO LET MISERABLE 20 SOMETHINGS COMPLETELY RAPE EVERY CHARACTER AND STORY BEAT OVER THE TABLE, TAKE THAT EOP
why do people get so defensive on this topic? I just want decent translations instead of guessing or blatant rewrites.

The original Kirby games had Kirby as gender-neutral, the male pronouns were forced on by localizers. I wish they would stop inserting their politics into translations and correctly refer to Kirby as they/them.

Attached: Dedede Gij.jpg (1604x1586, 1.53M)

I don't understand why you would want sexist garbage instead.

that is a blatantly retarded example. sarcasm and an idiom is something thats already hard to communicate by text to someone who already knows your language.

>nooo, protag was supposed to scream nigger at her, this game is ruined for me now

Mostly because so many people are willing to turn it into a braindead culture war thing, when they don't know anything. People were shitting all over the TWEWY localization because some EOP culture warriors glommed onto it, but it really wasn't even close to bad. There are definitely bad localizations, but a lot of you niggers get histrionic over the wrong things and dilute that important message. When you get upset at everything, it's hard to parse useful info from that.

Why are you colonizing Japanese culture?

>daily "literally literal translations are like literally bad so actually it's literally okay that I translated 'oi, oji-san' as 'woah poggers grandpa fuck gamergate' and basically you're the retard" thread
Translator apologists get ytjvmthe bullet too.

Attached: 1646506202694.png (680x483, 356.98K)

>4chinners will think this is satire

Attached: EZsZ6TAX0AEK4Hv.jpg (399x400, 15.06K)

Attached: 1648346572493.png (785x431, 53.64K)

Respect other cultures. I feel like I was told this before, strange it seems disregarding the original authors writing is the exact opposite of that.

At this point I just treat Jap games the same way I treat western games.
Namely, I pirate them.
No skin off my nose, either make a proper translation or you're not getting my money, simple as.

Attached: 1358051462973.png (257x202, 31K)

what are some easy games to learn japanese with? like baby games that I can mostly get through without much trouble knowing only 1000 words

They don’t have to do that, but localization still happens regardless because games in Japan are largely written for a Japanese audience and will have Japanese pop-culture references and jokes that an international audience wouldn’t get. One of the biggest examples is the english translation of Luck Star, the anime. Was it faithful? Definitely. But most of the humor and references were lost to international audiences with little exposure to Japanese pop culture, so the show has very niche appeal.

They unironically make better fandoms
The general vibe around them is :
"we don't care who you are, we're all pieces of shit anyways. Just commit to the hobby and if you can make something entertaining we'll actually appreciate and promote it"
Meanwhile the more female geeks and trannies a fandom has, the fewer actually good fan content you get. All they do is nag the corporations attached to it demanding everything that makes them uncomfortable gets removed until all that's left is discussions about triggering content and bad erotic fanfics

>ytjvm
Captcha's a little challenging today, huh?

Don't play games "to learn Japanese" unless they respect your freedom.
gnu.org/proprietary/
gnu.org/proprietary/malware-games.html

>knowing only 1000 words
doesn't mean shit. Reading a word isn't the same as reading it in Anki. You often don't recognize all of them, but I guess Dragon Quest or just some old SNES RPGs

if you can't accept their writing and demand it be changed to suit your needs through translation doesn't that make you racist

Could you be more vague please, I think I could almost see a point. We have people complaining that the problem is using western internet slang, people complaining about banal culture war shit, and then whatever you're whining about.

Speaking of which, where are all you cunts getting translations that say poggers and shit? I've never had that issue.

>so the show has very niche appeal.
-and that's a good thing!

there is unironically no place more narcissistic than this one

>that an international audience wouldn’t get.
There's also a lot of American jokes an international audience wouldn't get, but that doesn't stop Americans from inserting them into the script.
This is just an excuse for your specific form of colonization, and shit like this is why people will gladly side with "da joos" just to see you suffer.

Having worked professionally with translation, there's not that much said here that I'd disagree with.

I suspect that the "WORD FOR WORD OR IT'S WRONG" fags are literal monolinguals who have no idea of how language actually work.

bottom left is best

Japanese gaming would be entirely mobile-focused if localizations went like Lucky Star, because no one would buy Japanese games. If you like VNs and mobile games, then that’s great for you I guess.

>people are willing to turn it into a braindead culture war thing
if this is your complaint, then why are you defending translators who actively participate in the culture war online and allow it to sink into the games they translate for.
>it wasnt even close to bad
dont care, I want translations, not fanfics and rewrites.
>when you get upset at everything its hard to parse useful info from that
after reading this multiple times i still cant understand your point here. do you mean that the reason for the variety of defensive responses is caused by the variety of complaints about various translations?

People who excuse this are hypocrites and/or blind.

It's always Americans who can't even speak Jap.

Reminder that this problem is exclusively caused by the narcissism of white Anglos.
No other language has this issue.

Attached: 1639173626932.png (1358x3114, 2.05M)

The jews are the ones doing this.

>There's also a lot of American jokes an international audience wouldn't get, but that doesn't stop Americans from inserting them into the script.
And other cultures often localize the shit out of those jokes to make them sensible to their audiences. Watch a Marvel movie in Japanese, it's hilarious how many liberties they take.

>he thinks Japanese developers care about the West

No, whites are the ones doing this.
Eventually you need to stop coping and accept that your race is like this because your race is extremely narcissistic and has 0 respect for any other culture.
Except your argument was about English localizations being changed for an international audience you smarmy fuck, but that's not true, they're changed exclusively on the whims of narcissistic white Americans.

I didn’t say that Japanese writers can use Japanese pop-culture references, retard. I said that these references wouldn’t be funny internationally because few would even get it, so they are changed during localization (unless it’s really important to the plot). If a European localization team thought an American game referencing the OJ Simpson trial was too strange for their audience, then it would be on them to change it to something that makes sense.

>"You can change this later" in all languages
>b-but the Americans!!!
retard

>I said that these references wouldn’t be funny internationally because few would even get it
And I said that that ALSO applies to American references and jokes you stupid fuck.
Pay attention.

Its caused by propaganda designed with the express purpose of demoralizing populations.

>implying that games with more literal translations sell less
ok retard

And then user woke up and stopped jerking it to VN and gacha girls.

Attached: hqdefault (9).jpg (480x360, 26.4K)

>All other languages
Gendered
>American
Not gendered

The west is run by jews, as is the entire entertainment industry.

Take a breath and read the rest of my post lol.

She is, don't know why that means so many of these people have to insert unrelated political things that are out of place in their localizations though.

pokemon black/white onwards has a hiragana-katana only mode so you could try that

that isnt what "bob's your uncle" means
you put it at the end of an explanation

I AM TIRED OF THIS. IF YOU WNAT IT TO STOP GO AHEAD AND FUCKING KILL THE TRANSLATORS INSTEAD OF SPAMING IT ON V YOU WORTHLESS NIGGER

Whatever helps you cope with your race's narcissism.

Fun fact :
The "tale of genji" that most Japanese have read is in fact a Japanese translation of an English localization of the story.

Give me a successful AAA japanese game that had a “literal” translation.

That's what we're trying to do you mongoloid, why do you think we're supporting the jews?
Support jews = get rid of white people = this problem solves itself.

promoting racism, sexism and other bigotry across borders isn't acceptable regardless of how you slice it

Why do translation threads always degenerate into racebaiting

Its the truth.