Which one's more SOVL? I can't decide how to play

which one's more SOVL? I can't decide how to play

Attached: 5456465.jpg (2114x716, 456.75K)

SOVL - so*lless

Your doctor has more "sovl", go see him

left is aids

Right.

Both look nice, right looks very cute but what the fuck is this really. A mod?

left is too saturated tbqh

To me the more colorful version suits the aesthetics of Minish Cap better.
That said, is left unfiltered or does it have increased saturation?

Is right a filter or a mod?

So left is default emulation and right is filtered?

Were it any other game I wouldn't care but honestly Minish Cap probably went high saturation for mobile screens with scanlines and right could be correct.

it's "gba color" shader in mgba

right looks fantastic

left. but thats just soul, not sovl. Thats reserved for the most soulful games

Left is how I remember it looking.

I think I prefer right

Because that's how the game looks lol.

I remember left being original but right is a little easier on the eyes

This is such a non issue, it's laughable. Touch grass. This is like a woman asking if she looks better in the coral pink, or salmon pink dress.

>left
Dumb retard rainbow colored baby shit for babies
>right
A mature an gritty atmospheric experience, perfect for a distinguished gentleman and connosewer of gaming like myself

Not on a gba

I read somewhere that the saturation and brightness on GBA games were super high to prevent screen reflection when played outside. They look too saturated when you emulate them, though the right one looks too desaturated

Right. Left is only that bright because the original GBA had no backlight. On the handheld itself it would look more like right.

Obviously the gba is gonna show the pixels slightly dimmer unless you played it on a emulator or Spongebob SP with brighter screen.

GBA emulators usually give you the option to choose between what the GBA would output and what it would actually look like on its screen, it's really game dependant since some games hold up even with the native saturation like the castlevanias but all the SNES ports benefit from it, I don't have the pic right now but someone compared Contra III with the gba color shader and it looks really accurate to the SNES version that way, I think you can also configure it so it keeps as much of the brightness/saturation as you want anyway

For me, it's left.

Attached: file.png (720x480, 26.44K)

Which one is the shader?

Booted the game up on a GBA SP to compare, right looks more accurate to the game. I am on the normal brightness setting from the options menu, will post the other 2 if people want.

Attached: IMG_20220412_181143049_HDR.jpg (4608x3456, 3.26M)

Fuck, got the pic upside down.

The right is the shader
GBA games used to use oversaturated colors to compensate for the lack of a backlight, or something like that.

Right is how I remember it, probably better to play that if it's on big screen

Left on a normal day, right when it rains

Based video game enjoyer

I hate bright yellow so the right is superior to my eye

is it actually that dark or does it only look like that in the picture? Because that looks darker than the one in OP's pic

Let's be real here: the GBA and the GBA SP screens are crap.
Get it running on a 3DS, for example.

neither is ideal imo
left is oversaturated and right is washed out

The picture of the GBA SP is that dark when you are looking at it with your own eyes while playing.

... That is the POINT. The fact that the game has the colors on the left was an attempt by the developers to compensate for how shit the GBA's screen was.

Isn't part of the ambassador program and don't have a hacked 3DS.

Australian spotted

I have a hacked 3DS, AND I have a legit 3DS with the Ambassador Program games.

kek

god damn australians

I prefer the one on the right, but go with whatever one you like more.

Attached: retroarch 2017-11-16 20-15-44-88.png (720x480, 38.57K)

Early GBA games had their saturation cranked up because they were made fore the non-backlit screen of the original GBA. Later games made with the SP and Micro in mind had their colors more toned down because it wasn't trying to conpensate for dim screens anymore.

Technichally both are "correct" outputs and either one might be how you remember it based off of what you originally played it on, but there is objectively an "intended" look for each game. In the case of OP, the intended look is the right.

>In the case of OP, the intended look is the right.
Is it really though.

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 1.86M)

It'd look a lot more like the left if it weren't for the camera and the contrast.
OP's is just desaturated

The intended look is closer to the right than the left. You can see that the ground isn't fucking neon yellow here.

When looking at the game in person on a GBA SP it looks like right in the OP.

Actually, I might be retarded. Minish Cap released a year and a half after the SP, but I didn't play it until years after it came out. I assumed it came out during the original GBA period.

Yes. The oversaturation is to compensate for the GBA's shitty screen.

>but there is objectively an "intended" look for each game.
You're assuming the developers know what they're doing. Possible, but not certain. And even if they do, we don't know what the intent actually was unless we actually have them on record as saying so.

For instance, we can fathom a guess and say that the morph ball in Super Metroid is meant to be perfectly spherical and not oblong. But that would mean the developers intended the game to be played at 8:7, and no display supported that aspect ratio. So either they didn't know what they were doing, intended the morph ball to be oblong, or didn't care. It's hard to say.

Attached: super-metroid-snes-morphing-ball.gif (512x448, 28.54K)

>split the screen into squares
>make the morph ball fit a square

Right looks better

It's been done correctly. You just have to make the art assets to accommodate for the fact that they will be stretched when displayed on the target display, not dissimilar from the current subject matter of GBA games and the non-backlit display.

Attached: KChkN53.png (1024x2184, 112.57K)

Wouldn't a better comparison be with how sprites were designed to be smoothed out on a CRT, clearly the intended look.

You need to either have everything be static or have far more complicated math to do that

More about the fact that the system didn't output in standard srgb color space.
I believe the SP had a different color space to the original model, which is why games like Minish Cap and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance have color options in the menu.

> that moon
This image is supposed to be stretched, right?

Yes. It's the native 8:7 aspect ratio that is meant to be viewed on a 4:3 CRT, which stretches the moon to a (near) perfect circle.

The character sprites look perfectly fine though, as if it this is their correct aspect ration.

The fact that pixel art was meant to be viewed on a CRT is a given.
The question at hand is which color saturation level the developers intended, which is much harder to guess because we have to assume certain things

You're just used to seeing the pixel perfect sprites
CT is one of those few games where it's clear the developers accounted for the aspect ratio

No they're definitely also wrong, it's espeially easy to tell with Frog who's head is way too thin

That's what I mean. Developers made GBA games for that specific hardware and screen so however the game looks on the GBA is their intention. Just like how every game back then was intended to be viewed on a CRT.

But the game specifically has color/brightness settings, doesn't it? Which one is "Definitive"?

The one called "Normal" i would assume.

Never knew MGBA had shaders. I might try it for Golden Sun too.

Oh in that case I don't know, it was up for the player's adjustment. I didn't know Minish Cap has a color/brightness slider. I meant for games that only had a single setting.

Links and trees are better on left
the ground is better on right
But left is how I remember it