I miss shitty, muddy textures

Everything looks so clean and HD and stuff now, but I think old shitty textures were really charming.

Attached: xenoblade-comp.jpg (3840x2160, 661.48K)

Another example. They're really not that different but the original fuzziness just felt more cozy.

Attached: Bravely-Default-2-Gloria-Seth-Tiz-Agnes.jpg (1400x700, 114.25K)

I think it's moreso lighting those cases, but I do highly prefer the older examples here but I was always a fan of how those games looked

The problem here isn't HD, it's more that they made the art styles generally fuckin worse

I mean maybe but there's also just an element of crunchiness that I find is missing a lot now. If something like Pandora's Tower came out last year it wouldnt be nearly as cozy.

Would you say they inherit.... spirit?

same

>I miss literal shit textures
Ok

Yeah, you nailed it. If you look at xenoblade even, the wii models were trying to capture the art style of the concept art. The DE for some reason did not and is just a generic anime style in comparison. It looks cleaner but I prefer the art direction for the wii games for this reason.

Do they... Perhaps... Contain Ātman?
Core?
Heart?
S... S...

The original really did have the shading on the face down much better.

Attached: b19a3fc45b03f2caf9aebe2e8dfa8c3a(1).jpg (390x359, 29.92K)

>element of crunchiness
What you're talking about is exactly what said
An aspect of a lot of good, non-hyper-realism, art is leaving just enough "room" for the viewer to finalize the reality depicted in the painting through their imagination. Filling in the blanks. The rougher versions allow the player to see a personalized image(s) better than any artist can produce.
Leaning into the anime style more is just the piss frosting on a shit cake. The style is so derivative now that every anime production borderlines on self-parody.

more like why the fuck did they saturate the shit out of the colours
shulk went from blonde to bright streaking piss yellow

The models were actually done before the art oddly enough
I prefer the original models too though, and especially the original lighting

"Filling in the blanks" only works for sprites and really low poly models in the 5th to ewrly 6th generation. Anything in the 7th above is inexcusable

The resolution inflation is one of the major contributor to the death of pleasantly stylized games and nobody seems to pick up on that.

the problem with BD2 is that it has stylized characters with realistic shading. If they had gone with flatter, more stylized shading it would look less weird.

If these "New and old" pics were swapped, you'd complain how muddy they ended up making everything.

I don't. I hate this shitty post-processing AA we're stuck with now that makes everything look blurry as shit. Honestly think a lot of games look worse than stuff that came out a decade earlier because of it. I miss the crisp image.

The original model makers did a good job

Look how they massacred my boy...

Attached: 5AB9601B-6DC9-4984-B2D0-8BC35F935DD7.jpg (2036x1149, 578.79K)

Greenoblade Chronicles

Why would you make a comment that is so blatantly wrong? Are you that desperate for attention? This is a new low point for naivety if you aren't.

This is just so wrong in so many ways. Nearly any game that utilizes 3D models will benefit from higher resolutions. I understand you're trying to make the point that better tools has reduced creativity, but I simply don't agree with that philosophy. Always blame the man, not the tool. It was a conscious decision to move away from pleasant artstyles and towards realism.

The problem with Xenoblade HD is they changed the entire art style. It's clearly supposed to be Final Fantasy style realistically textured anime, not just full anime.

Nier Replicunt remaster is the worst offender.

>the wii models were trying to capture the art style of the concept art.
They didn't have a character designer and they literally used the placeholder generic stock faces the armour designer put in.

You're all circlejerking generic placeholders because you can't handle, what you call "anime". Despite it being tamernthan 99% of jrpgs still. Shulk and fiora literally have the same face in the original for crying out loud

they look better cope

>They didn't have a character designer
No wonder why they looked great, no limits and space.

This.
Idiots saying they prefer the originals have no idea what they're talking about and are blindly driven by nostalgia.
They had almost no facial expressions, were terribly monotone and looked like soulless masks. Even for the time they were butt ugly and didn't even look like their art.
Nostalgia is one hell of a drug. As shown by the mental gymnastics these blithering idiots perform to justify the nostalgia.
>It looks better because.... IT JUST DOES ALRIGHT!!

Attached: Screenshot_20220412-102627~2.png (1311x704, 771.96K)

I don't actually think it's just resolution, I think it's processors that screwed it up. There's no point in having readable art direction (and level design) if you don't have to use your limited resources to make it readable.
I don't give a shit if that's a boomer take, it's true. We used to get a lot of good looking AA games (for their time anyway) and while games are visually more impressive now, on average the art direction and level design in the industry have both been stagnating hardcore for a very long time

kek

This. You can also have high resolution stylized textures obviously. Low res doesn't do anything for video games. The thing about high resolutions though is that they do cost more time to make so they're more expensive.

Attached: 1590472432992.png (2048x1536, 2.11M)

You're probably right. It's super weird how they kept the hand drawn backgrounds (but only sometimes) and ignored the fact that the drawn backgrounds, shitty rendered backgrounds and character models all look like they come from separate games

>nostalgia
As a retard with digital vibrance cranked up as high as it goes, who's never played any game in this series, I don't like how Shulk looks. I like Fiona though. But either way, it's a clear change in style, and that's just a matter of taste.

people who pretend (as pretending is the only logical explanation) that the original looks better are quite frankly high

Attached: ycyi2uct0osfj70p8o3x.jpg (1280x1436, 176.47K)

>I don't like how Shulk looks.
Better is the word you're looking for. You don't like that it looks better. It's called shit taste.

Attached: xenoblade-comparison-2.jpg (1152x648, 219.87K)

not everyone prefers generic anime faces

It has fuck all to do with nostalgia, I used to make fun of Xenodrones because the models were below PS2 games. And now I'm making fun of you fags because the newer models are an "improved" departure that spat on the soul of the original. It like most other remasters misses the point and suffers for it.

More like you can't appreciate fine details and enjoy defending games with gutted lighting systems. Did you think he was supposed to be slathered in light in that scene? Nah.

Attached: subtle.webm (1632x510, 2.88M)

Attached: shulk.jpg (886x708, 148.83K)

>looked like shit
>noooo it had SOUL!!
Case in point for my mental gymnastics argument. Thank you.

The original faces are generic anime faces. Only done badly.

People like you will always argue that something looking crisper, cleaner, or more beautiful to the average viewer makes it better, but there are legitimately some of us out there who like things to look a little bit ugly. I'm not joking, this isn't a shitpost. Look at 1977 Bilbo's gross, realistic hands. I genuinely love it. I like shit that doesn't look clean.
So yeah, I like the old models, even in a side-by-side like that. A bit of touching up could have been good due to hardware improving, but that's all.

Attached: Bilbo.png (360x450, 287.9K)

Yeah I don't and they weren't.

If you're lonely, get a dog. Won't have to put words in people's mouths to pretend you're having a conversation.

>I like shit that doesn't look clean.

but bilbo's hands there are wrought incredibly cleanly, with fidelity- perfectly expressing what the artist wanted

blurry textures are the oppsoite of that. the artists' wish were not expressed due to limitations of the hardware

it's pretty much objectively bad but people can feel anything, whatever.

>Tonight's news: user discovers Opinions.
>More at 11.

>gutted lighting systems.
With that you mean that the game has actual shadows now instead of everything being N64 bright all the time? Cool.
>Did you think he was supposed to be slathered in light in that scene? Nah.
>noooo you weren't supposed to see the main character in this close up during a cutscene
This is a new low.

Attached: kfebtdjda5wsuyhep1jr.jpg (1280x1436, 268.27K)

They're not. They're FF style anime designs with realistic textures. The remaster should look like the PS2 FF remasters.

>Bilbo's gross, realistic hands. I genuinely love it. I like shit that doesn't look clean.
They're neither gross nor shit user. They look clean as hell, as does his face.

There are 100% limitations and mistakes in the 1977 Hobbit film, and it's better for it. It's not perfect. Limitations are worth embracing, and are as much of a part of a work as anything else.

>They're FF style anime designs with realistic textures.
biggest laugh I had in a while

Look how Shulk's hair goes from kind of dirty blonde to just yellow. How is that the same design?

>They're FF style anime designs
What does this even mean? FF had a different artstyle for every game.

It did have soul even though PS2 games had better designs lol. The new designs are even worse though, and have no soul. The trees don't even move in the demaster.

Attached: boob jiggle downgraded.webm (636x252, 1.14M)

"Soul" fags just want to look at blurry pixelated shit.

What you're talking about is the DDS artifacts on the textures. They weren't intended at all.

It's just better. The Wii just couldn't handle the yellow.

How are they not, you spastic? That's clearly supposed to look like real skin and real hair. "I like the new ones more" isn't an argument. They changed it.

>nostalgia
>for a modern game

>hair clipping through face in the top
your point was?

Literally everyone I've ever seen talks about how offputting the hands in this film are. It's straight up a gag in Smiling Friends that the hands look weird, because it's a cartoon fairy tale rendered with a high degree of detail.
I, like you, think the art is highly skilled and a bit strange, and love it. This applies to many things that are scrubbed and polished by popular culture.

>ran out of arguments
>b-b-but the hair colour is a different blonde! That means it's bad!
10/10

This thread is getting funnier by the minute

No I mean the lights are gone. Removed in favor of bloom and blur.

Attached: 1590473107105.jpg (2048x1165, 1.48M)

He said it's a different style, not that it's bad, dyslexia-kun.

Got another one:>the tits don't move as much therefore it's shit

That's not what they're talking about. They're talking about black strokes representing shadows to give models depth, as a quick example. Pic related. The textures are low res and heavily compressed but they still do have more work put into them than clean, modern, lazy textures.

Attached: 1590668762060.jpg (746x388, 79.33K)

How are the shadows an element of "crunchiness" exactly?

Yeah! That and baked lighting are kind of a lost art. Never thought a booty pic would get the point across but yeah, That's exactly it.