Parry/block based combat is superior to dodge/i-frame based combat...

Parry/block based combat is superior to dodge/i-frame based combat, because you are spending more time making progress in the fight and less time avoiding the fight.

Attached: action kings.png (784x696, 454.75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UruU_H6J_WM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Both aren't good when it becomes the be all end all of combat and other factors like combos, weapon options, etc. change little in comparison. It makes the game become hyper defensive or a steam rolling experience. Sekiro is fun but it get's boring quickly once you learn an enemies attack patterns, there's almost nothing they can do to stop getting parried to death besides the rare red attack. Bloodborne had the best mix of dodge/parry I've seen in an action game because it was a healthy balance of parry/dodge and the rally and blood vials system encouraging max aggression

parry simulators are trash
youtube.com/watch?v=UruU_H6J_WM

Fuck off with your Zoom Eternal shill

Why choose, when I can have both?

Attached: d9s.jpg (848x1059, 140.07K)

There is no such thing as "Parry/Block based combat" when your game has a Block/Parry and a Dodge/I-Frame. That's just speaks to the player not properly making use of the game's systems and limiting themselves to one solution.

Attached: 1639864947546.jpg (3840x2160, 555.78K)

Both are ultimately glorified rhythm games for retards, at least dodging is more freeform and doesn't feel like "press X to not take damage" option. It also makes, I dunno how to explain it, more 'sense' I guess. When some giganigga with 12ft sword of assrape swings at me, it makes sense that I should avoid it instead of blocking it with my puny buckler. Parrying and blocking should be deserved to enemies who match your character's strength, mostly normal-sized humanoids

>game has several different dodges
>have to pick the right one for the situation or you eat the hit

Attached: 1622356861585.gif (360x238, 1.43M)

>Both are ultimately glorified rhythm games for retards, at least dodging is more freeform and doesn't feel like "press X to not take damage"

The souls fag mind is truly a treasure trove of wisdom. They are the philosophers of our age.

Bayonetta is dodge-based and heavily rewards you for perfect dodging. It's not about it being parry vs dodge, it's about it being well made.

Attached: 1362876499181.jpg (800x800, 884.22K)

>it's about being well made

Why the non sequitur?

Where is it?

This guys unironically just sucks at action games. He complains that you have to manually control the camera of all things.

>Bayonetta is dodge-based and heavily rewards you for perfect dodging. It's not about it being parry vs dodge, it's about it being well made.

Well, where's the problem?

>calls game trash and links literal who video to back up his claim
you are the definition of a beta cuck faggot

>man who couldn't beat genichiro makes a video on sekiro

aaaah

Forget it user. How about this weather?

Attached: yaaaayyyyyyy.jpg (704x704, 120.87K)

>mfw something like Sekiro or Bloodborne will never happen again because of Elden Ring's sales

Attached: 1638957016943.jpg (313x254, 56.09K)

Sorry, I am retarded. Could you please enligthen me? Where's the problem?

Dodge is fine, generous I frames is the problem

Nigga it's a joke. It's implying Bayonetta is not well made. God damn...

It's supposed to be a joke? I see.

>couldn't beat genichiro
How? Genichiro is literally beaten by tapping the attack button repeatedly. How fucking bad do you have to be to give up at genichiro?

Bayonetta is marred by shit design though: QTEs and shit boss fights. therefore whatever argument you may have had is rendered null and void.

Revengeance isn't parry based at all, the parry in that game is stupid and worthless, not central to the combat like sekiro

>QTEs
Indeed, QTEs are a hindrance in Bayonetta 1. I mean, they're nowhere near ruining the game, of course, but it'd probably be a better game without them.

>and shit boss fights.
Oh, you're just a complete retard. Nevermind, carry on vomiting crap.

>Sekirofag still jerking off his rhythm game
Easiest fromsoft game

Attached: 1450221692583.png (534x572, 76.62K)

Rhythm games are fun, why is calling Sekiro a rhythm game even an insult?

Nice one. I like you

I actually prefer dodgerolls to deflects, and I think Sekiro is a better video game than Elden Ring (for other reasons). A dodgeroll is directional and you have to consider positioning and spacing. There is more complexity than just pressing a button at the right time.

Rolls are awful compared to quicksteps, at least outside of DeS/DS1/DS2 which were slow enough to be built around them. They take longer, look sillier, and have you facing the wrong direction.

In BotW you can parry everything from a supernova to bees does that mean it's got good combat?

>not even one minute in and he's complaining about having an inventory, equipping weapons, and having stats
>close vid
Opinion discarded. This guy should stick to matching games on his phone

I've never played Dark Souls but I've seen webms and I know shields exist in these games but no one ever fucking uses them. It's always rolling. So that might be telling of something.

Stamina as a mechanic sucks dick and passivates gameplay. It's just an in-game alarm to slow down your playstyle because most casuals lack the awareness needed to change their strategy accordingly and would just keep hitting the attack button until they're dead again. But at the same time the same stamina places a cap on what you can do as a player. It brings everyone competent at the game down to the same dragging ass slow as molasses pace akin to an entire game of tetris running at level 1.

This, stamina limits dumb down the gameplay severely and cut down the skill ceiling pretty hard, and even more when there are no mechanics to recover stamina actively through buttons or anything else

For me souls gameplay feels like they dumb it down to a barebones level so the skill ceiling drops dramatically, it doesn't feel satisfying as a genre to get good at it, once you get good you realize how limited is the kind of stuff you can do in it and the enemy attack patterns are very repetitive (outside of some really good bosses like loux)

>Fun games are le bad!

Okay nerd nobody gives a shit crawl back into your dilate station

>didn't get past Genichiro
>filter working as intended
lmao

Attached: 71073074_p1.jpg (2766x4078, 2.22M)

They’re both fine if done correctly. And some games have both. Doesn’t need to be one or the other.

I'm too stupid to make an argument, but Monster Hunter's stamina system is pretty sweet imo
Seemingly hits the sweet spot of just giving you enough to work with while also punishing the player if they decide to spam i-frames

It's amazing how the video starts reasonable enough about disliking Dark Souls for certain reasons and then it suddenly goes full retard and keeps getting dumber and dumber

>Genichiro
>filter
I know a guy who was filtered by Genichiro and I genuinely don’t understand it. I know the Ogre filtered journos, but who does Genichiro filter? The illiterate? Just play like normal and return his lightning, why is this a stumbling block?

both MGR and Sekiro require you to dodge and parry though. It's just that they (wisely) use parrying as a defensive tool most of the time so you're kept proactive in the fight almost all the time instead of just rolling repeatedly.

>who does Genichiro filter? The illiterate?
Filters people unwilling to play the game
Sekiro is about a dance of aggression
If you're not deflecting an attack, you best be keeping the posture of the enemy up by either attacking or prosthetic tools
You CAN just hold down block button, tank attacks, and get measly hits in when an opportunity presents itself and beat the game. But not only is it massively boring, it's also a chore

Attached: 1596057607933.png (1920x1080, 2.4M)

Games with stamina systems aren't supposed to be power fantasies. Placing a cap on what the player can do is the whole point to promote strategic gameplay.

STANDING HERE

if you didn't beat Genichiro, you never learned the combat and therefor can't have anything of value to say about it

>Filters people unwilling to play the game
How. Genichiro and Butterfly are the same shit, how can they filter anyone is beyond me. If you beat old hag than you can beat Genichiro

>bloodborne
nah niqqa
it's my fav game but the combat is way more close to souls' than sekiro
but you're right, expect more souls clones where there's zero innovation in combat

Shut the fuck up you reddittrash
>gheghegje me repeat same retarded lyrics for 9 fucking years xddd

I REALIZE

Shields were very popular when Demon Souls and even Dark Souls first released. I myself did all my first playthroughs up to and including Dark Souls as the sword(and spear and halberd) and board knight, but this was because i never got to play that archetype with those aesthetics in an action RPG before. The problem is, once you step back and look at it, there is no nuance to the shield gameplay in those games besides the parry. It can be played as a very passive and safe style. That's how the "no shield muh skill play" meme came to be.

i hate this fucking retard, he’s only decent for talking about doom eternal specifically and even then still sounds annoying half the time

But plenty of people couldn’t beat the old moth hag

Well put user. It doesn't just drag the player down, it drags the enemies down as well. Nioh is the most blatant example of this, though it's more to do with it's version of the posture system.

Attached: 1586903437362.jpg (2259x1569, 609.44K)

Genichiro is the best filter From has ever created. If you try to play him like a Dark Souls Boss he stomps your shit in, but if you actually play like the game has been teaching you he's extremely easy. Just get in his face and don't stop attacking.

>mfw all these people playing MGR while running and poking and calling the game combat utter shit

every single time

>If you try to play him like a Dark Souls Boss he stomps your shit in,
You have up to 5 bosses and mini bosses combined before Genichiro that you can't beat by playing like soulshit. Wtf

Wonder if he ever got good at Ninja Gaiden. Because he's comments are surface level random guy who just started playing the game tier. Even complete with Reddit parroting of second hand information and factually wrong information.

Attached: de6hjok-7ef0f910-455c-45d3-b86c-208453dfb3af.jpg (3630x2160, 1.19M)

>Games with stamina systems aren't supposed to be power fantasies

user... any game in singleplayer is a power trip fantasy, the game is meant to be beaten... do you realize why people call souls combat system utter shit? its not even good as a power trip and it isn't good to get skills

The best combat systems always use i-frames

Loathsome doafag, plz

>can't beat
Nope, you can
It's irrationally hard to, and it's a massive chore but it's possible
it is EVEN HARDER if you try the same shit on Genichiro and he will push your shit in until you get the message
Or until you drop the game

Attached: 1598142284523.jpg (3910x5486, 2.32M)

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were more about exploration and intricate level design rather "super hard challenging bosses", so people didn't really mind simplifying combat that much(block when you're not attacking, roll huge attacks, that's it)

not sure if Dark Souls 2 or 3 changed that or if it was the Prepare to Die shit in Dark Souls, but at some point this janky combat system became some sort of holy grail and the games became about being skillfull with iframe dodges, even though it's honestly never evolved much beyond what it was in Demon's Souls, aside from getting flashier animations. Fromsoft has made a game that has a more robust combat system(Sekiro), but they seem to have considered that a failure since they just walked back on the more dynamic elements in favor of just having the player abuse iframes.

Based. Cuckiro is pure dogshit.

>you try the same shit on Genichiro and he will push your shit in until you get the message
Nah, he's got plenty of openings that you can punish and dodge
>Bow attacks
>dodging overhead attack
>2 hit pause combo that you can just avoid by running away

btw strategy means winning before engaging in tactics by having a clear advantage, so by any metric strategy in a souls game means cheesing the game and destroying the bosses by using pure mechanics instead of rolling

rolling and attacking are tactics, and the amount of tactics you can use in souls games are extremely low and barebones, if you think strategy means... reacting deliberately then you have simply no idea what you are talking about

>Fromsoft has made a game that has a more robust combat system(Sekiro), but they seem to have considered that a failure since they just walked back on the more dynamic elements in favor of just having the player abuse iframes.
>>went back
Apparently Elden Ring has been in the oven for a LONG ass time
I've heard people claim that Sekiro and Elden Ring were developed side-by-side and most of the resources went into Elden Ring
It's supposedly why Sekiro is quite short