What is it about scale that Fromsoft seems to get and other developers seem to have forgotten?

What is it about scale that Fromsoft seems to get and other developers seem to have forgotten?

Attached: 20220309192928_1.jpg (1920x1080, 256.4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=udNkuhz1kdI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

wait is this liurnia i cant tell

you were baiting me into appearing with this thread, weren't you?

Attached: camera.jpg (1686x1400, 1.45M)

no, this is Anor Londo

>top left
Movie
>top right
Movie
>bottom left
Movie
>bottom right
Soulful game

Fromsoft has only ever done the bestest greatest jobs ever. Never have they ever not finished games, like giving us 4 variants of the same ending.

>taking control away from the player is... LE GOOD

?

Attached: ok9.png (1377x566, 408.47K)

Would be fucking great if the camera panned out when fighting giant monsters at least, but the game doing that would be a good thing and make things a little bit easier which we can't have in the Prepare to Die Plebbit meme game

just make a good game with no hidden or sometimes very obvious political agenda? wow that must be so fucking hard

>Elden Ring = 80 hours long
>SoTC = 10-12 hours long
>still has less cutscenes

Meanwhile - youtube.com/watch?v=udNkuhz1kdI

That's the only gameplay your game has. 1 hours worth

I know you're baiting but SOTC has a completely empty overworld, so changing the camera to be cinematic doesn't change anything. If you were trying to explore or fight enemies in ER and the camera kept zooming out against your control it would be terrible

Attached: 1541634091530.png (282x219, 3.63K)

I fucking wish the other developers (And From Software, for that matter) would forget about designing an area that is nothing but recycled environmental assets (40 identical archways, 80 identical obsidian pillars, 40 identical crystal formations and 18 identical circular temple with a woman statue inside) and has the same 7 enemy types (among them 20 shrimps, 15 crabs, 25 Miranda flowers and 20 land octopuses) plopped down and copy pasted all over it in an interchangeable manner, with 1 out of every 20 encounter even feeling unique at all instead of randomly generated, all for miles upon miles, with a grand total of maybe 6 pieces of loot that aren't garbage (Such as crafting materials and bland golden runes) in it

But the truth is: They haven't forgotten. I just described every open world garbage game ever. And that cancerous genre only keeps spreading. Elden Ring is the latest vector.

>taking control away from the player is.. LE GOOD!

Elden Ring is actually quite reminiscent of Shadow of the Colossus.

>The player having free control to look around is bad!
Moviegames have ruined you.

>panning out the camera for a better view during a fight with a giant enemy that can easily obstruct view is taking control away from the player
Fromdrones are something else

Attached: microbrain.jpg (216x233, 7.61K)

>putting the shitcher in the same category as elden ring
kys

>taking control away from the player is.... LE GOOD

Agree. That other guy wasn't me.

>panning out the camera for a better view during a fight with a giant enemy that can easily obstruct view is taking control away from the player
The camera is moving without player input correct?

Then yes, that's literally what is happening, fucking s(n)oy tard

The camera already spazz out against my will while fighting enemies, this wouldn't change a thing.

The camera spins literal 360s without player input when bosses parkour around, retard

>lock on camera
>it locks on
Get me a video of it doing that not locked on

Fucking S(n)OY

I'm well aware of that, but it's still an issue that stops games feeling as awe inspiring as they could

Attached: adventure composition camera.jpg (1281x1049, 489.67K)

Because there's actual gameplay in the horse parts of Elden Ring unlike in SOTC

Elden Kino has that literal picture in the game while also not being a movie like your shitty game though. Sorry that you're autism prevented you from seeing that

Attached: 20220331221309_1.jpg (1920x1080, 771.33K)

In what way? It doesn't feel at all.

BOTW feels very inspired by it, and even then Nintendo wasn't daring enough to pull the camera trick while riding a horse.

Elden Ring fails fucking miserably in that aspect. It has nothing on Shadow of the Colossus, for example. That's because the world is obviously designed to keep the dopamine levels of the nuSouls audience in check, so it's more of a theme park than a truly immersive, living and breathing world. This has exposed Miyazaki and his team as a bunch of hacks to me.
It's crazy how much better the game would've been if they simply didn't fill the world with irrelevant, gamey dogshit content that only wastes your time and instead made the world deliberately empty and desolate (with legacy dungeons and other worthwhile, unique encounters scattered around) which would've created a unique atmosphere and sense of scale. But as it is it's nothing but a distraction and a slew of missed potential.

you really think this is as visually striking as ?

Attached: 1648513224198.jpg (1200x675, 263.75K)

>it's camera angle fag again
Do you need to throw these little tantrums every single day? Make your own game loser

how about we settle this out on the green, smart guy?

the "scale" in witcher makes me feel nothing, something about the art style and maybe the way the camera works. plus it's just some boring mountains instead of gigantic castles. shadow of colossus has scale, but there's fuckall to do, it's just scenery and occasionally some platforming on your way to find a colossus.

this but unironically

Yes, even moreso.

Yes and I appreciate not having the control taken away from me by some nu developer who thinks he knows what I want to see and how I want to see it

Attached: 20220329220100_1.jpg (1920x1080, 263.18K)

>I was the original camera autist who made that pic comparing SOTC to W3 to shit on Witcherfags
>originally made it while fantasizing about how ER could capture SOTC's feeling
>other camera autist user edited it to add ER
I feel hoisted by own petard here, and I have spent countless hours in photo mode to cope, but even with the third person camera I'm still often in awe with the sense of scale achieved and how it mogs everything else.

Attached: 1648100052836.webm (1300x730, 2.89M)

seems like I've out-autism'd you
I'm gonna make an even bigger infographic at some point to really drive the camera point home, as well as my magnum opus which describes why no modern games feel like a true adventure

don't be complaining in those adventure threads when you say nothing feels like an adventure, posting art where literally every single shot is varied and dramatic unlike ER
every time I see this image and someone says 'that's le ER' I die a little inside

Attached: 1649023930056.jpg (1052x591, 260.49K)

Attached: 1639829447776.jpg (1920x1080, 372.64K)

make your own game instead of constantly complaining about consoomer products like a whining karen

I can see the point the fromfag is trying to make, but still, those images evoke nothing, not like the art the other user is posting. Maybe it's because I've already been in those places in elden ring and know there's just some enemies to hit in those places and nothing else

based. a big part of why nothing feels like an adventure in vidya is because you all too quickly categorize things into 'content'
in Elden Ring, the answer to every 'what's over there?' is either something to kill or something to help you kill
when you feel the formula start to kick in, you see repeated content and brush it off, making it feel like a cheap simulation

Attached: rEKLFt.jpg (1600x900, 751.06K)

Nothing will beat SOTC, it's so conceptually "pure", lightning in a bottle. It works because it's so empty, but empty like this could only work once, the first time.
I agree that ER falls into some traps of other open worlds with the map having to be littered with points of interest to examine and enemies to battle and quickly enough you just recognize gameplay loops and it removes some of the illusion. But the first few hours of wandering around Limgrave felt absolutely magical and intoxicating to me. You have to be severely jaded to not be able to enjoy all the different ways it pulls off the grand adventure feel.

Attached: 1649486209207.webm (1850x990, 2.21M)

>that .webm
>fighting the fucking camera and clipping it into terrain
user please, I agree with you but this is fucked

Attached: 1640820363545.gif (640x360, 2.26M)

As a huge RE fag who adores the aesthetic impact of pre-rendered fixed cameras and terribly regret their disappearance in favor of homogenized third-person; I also love replaying RE4 every year. I'm just a hypocrite.

Attached: 1627439700862.jpg (2548x2690, 1.82M)

the only reason the player has ever been given the ability to use the camera is because developer's don't want to deal with it

Game has less cutscenes = Game bad

You just know who typed this post

>hose images evoke nothing

probably cuz there is a faggot in the middle of frame ruining the pic.

>FROMfaggot gets blown out by his own cope
Even now W3 continues to filter the FROMtrannies.

Attached: 1631084848324.gif (384x239, 353.98K)

Elden Worst game ever made

Attached: 1642740376149.jpg (649x942, 257.58K)

Personally i feel the same way about Limgrave but what did it for me is that i found other areas to be quite ugly, even if ugly on purpose they are still ugly.

The other problem i found is that there is fuck to do in the overworld, so a lot of times i feel i am hugging walls just looking for an entrance...at least shrines were visible from a mile away.

Is half of this thread nothing but trolls? I've spent 377 hours in Elden Ring and I STILL find myself looking at things in the distance and gasping in awe at the sheer scale of everything, how even at a distance everything looks like a painting but I can genuinely go to a huge landmark and then look back the other way to where I previously stood and get a completely different view of the world that remains just as awesome.

>riding Torrent
>trying to look around the nice scenery
>camera automatically centers back behind as soon as i let go of the stick
annoying as fuck

>don't be complaining in those adventure threads when you say nothing feels like an adventure, posting art where literally every single shot is varied and dramatic unlike ER
every time I see this image and someone says 'that's le ER' I die a little inside
SoTC looks like a bland empty world devoid of soul.

Sorry bud, but Elden Ring mogs your game

you can manually pan any time you want...

It's not like you can manually pan out the camera yourself, there's 0 control being taken away because there was 0 control given to the player in the first place.

In fact, Sekiro already does it.

Attached: 1637551862022.webm (960x540, 2.94M)

>in Elden Ring, the answer to every 'what's over there?' is either something to kill or something to help you kill
Sounds kino and like old D&D adventures of old

Talking about camera, am i the only that misses when games used to render different areas with different filters and hazy-foggy effects? Specially for ds1 it worked perfect.

Attached: AClighning.jpg (1280x720, 381.85K)

>brings up another game
>lock on
Nice try faggot.

Show me it not only happening in Elden Ring but without lock on.

Lock on is giving up your control of the Camera you retard

not being able to see what's going on is just part of the hardcore™ prepare to die™ you'll lose your souls over and over again™ experience

i llike it too

retards hate it though

Yeah, i bought the ezio remaster shit out of nostalgia for AC2 and it really dissapointed me how they washed all atmosphere, there should be an option in most games to mess with lightning and filters

souls games do that still elden ring included, they are just way more careful with it

Do they? I noticed kind of that in stormveil castle and volcano manor but thats about it.

Attached: Lordran.jpg (1022x575, 258.95K)

Pretty sure you can change that in the options.

The original argument had nothing to do with whether lock on is used or not. It was that the camera should pan out during larger fights, and it doesn't take control away from the player because you never had the option to control how far the camera pans out in the middle of a fight anyways.

I haven't found it, only some wall stuff.

Yeah it works so well for the areas you dont even really notice it, I notice it mainly when I go through from 1 area to another and everything suddenly changes colors