Why are there no games that give you a feeling of true adventure?

Why are there no games that give you a feeling of true adventure?

Attached: 1645371252276.jpg (1052x591, 260.49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Q970MFqoDN4
youtu.be/a4_UnY-kTmQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You're not a kid anymore, you'll inevitably look up everything and minmax like an asshole because you're autistically terrified of an imperfect playthrough.

Because that’s not possible. It’s like asking “why is there no monitor that looks like you’re looking through a window into a fully realistic other world”
You’re thinking of science fiction or magic, we humans in real life can’t make such things.

All I want is a magical fantasy world. Soulful companions, beautiful exploration and an interesting story in a world. that you are fascinated by. That is not an impossible challenge

vidya is unfortunately too fomulaic for that

It actually is

is this some sorta elden ring bait thread
or are you just verry picky and need the fantasy to be tolkien inspired

Elden ring's sense of exploration is all sorts of fucked due to the overuse of teleportation. The world loses its sense of wonder when you realize you can just skip everything within minutes.
Some people here act like a complete open world where everything is accessible from the start is without any enemy scaling is god's greatest gift but I think a more linear world where you are ushered along a path is far better since the design can actually be fine-tuned for a more immersive experience

You can't have a sense of adventure when nothing is original anymore. Every word in your description can be tied to content that has already been created to be used as a reference for anything new, decreasing studio investment risk. Since you already know the references you get on an "uncanny montain" with a sense of familiarity, pleasant as revisiting something know, but still not fresh and new, resulting in zero sense of adventure

if someone were to give me even below 100k USD I feel like I could easily do it
I get how you feel OP i really do

I disagree with this

then play DS1 or dont fast travel

Elden Ring gives you the feeling of mystery. Not really adventure

Because almost the entire industry is focused on pandering to niggers and trannies while adding lootboxes and paid dlc instead of actually giving you a good experience.

Minus the companions, this is what Breath of the Wild is.
Too bad everyone's too jaded into contrarianism to admit it these days.
Maybe in a few years.

Elaborate. I typed this after noticing I can never see a show or play a game without noticing what their references were. This kills all sense of novelty to me.
Having references for creation is part of the creative process but it's borderline copying if you don't diverge enough from the original to make the reference almost unrecognizable

Rdr2

I'm not even talking about fast travel, I'm talking about you using a teleporter just to see what it does and then getting transported to a lategame area. You don't get to appreciate any of it since everything there overlevels you and the entire time you're just trying to get back to where you were before. Then once you finally do see some truly new areas they are the super late game ones which were made when From ran out of content

Can you describe true adventure?

Yes, random person who browses a Taiwanese basket weaving forum knows how to make the perfect adventure game while all companies around the world over the past decades when video games have been produced really have no idea what they are doing. But you, you got it all figured out with a budget that is lower than the average yearly salary of a single video game developer in America.

There are

Story and characters are what make something truly original. Sure you can have an unoriginal fantasy romp with dragons and elves and shit but if you inhabit it with truly original characters with interesting motives, backstories, and drama then the world is all of a sudden very new and interesting

Digimon World

One of my fav games, but it's not for everyone

/pol/ has rotted your brain

look how KCD turned out

believe it or not, it's simply the truth. if things were better for me I'd already be a millionaire
the average game dev really makes 100k though? that's crazy

I could host an entire seminar about how to make the ultimate adventure game

Attached: 4v06ld.png (907x900, 419.18K)

Outer Wilds, you dumb negroid

Elden Ring and BOTW.

just fucking buy yourself some medieval kit and go camping faggot then go play a random videogame after your adventure. embrace the larp.

>adventure

such a meme word

To dev anons, this tells me nothing about your game. I skip u.

Valheim gave me that feeling

Zelda, Chrono Trigger, Outer Wilds, Hollow Knight

ditto, replaying it right now in VR.

so i take it that it is a post baiting for somone to say elden ring so you can give your opinion nobody cares about

Maybe video games aren't the medium you're looking for. Unironically, I started picking up reading about a year ago, and though I don't read a ton of fantasy there's shitloads of series out there (besides stuff like LOTR, unless you haven't read that yet) that you can read. When it comes to stories, of the 50 books I've read in the last two years the ones that were truly engaging were more immersive than any story in any video game I've ever played.

Probably not the answer you were looking for but hey, in case you're curious.

Attached: prkxjmcde3c71.jpg (602x544, 45.58K)

unironically, yeah
playing Valheim even when you know what you're doing is a kegel workout, even better with friends
currently playing eq99, game is documented to high hell, but the world is so dangerous and your character, even if capable, gets bodied by everything so it still has that adventure and wonder even though I've played it all a hundred times

>Elden Ring gives you the feeling of mystery
for 2 hours

just go outside bro

Morrowind, who needs companions

I want an adventure game not survival horror

World of Warcraft pre-2010
New Vegas
Dark Souls
Morrowind
Conan Exiles
Ark: Survival Evolved

^ Games where I explored only for the sake of exploring, and which were able to fill me with wonder and even fulfill it. Skyrim and Oblivion filled me with wonder for example, but I don't think the various copy-pasted areas fulfilled anything for me. Morrowind, with it's strange cities and landscapes did. There are probably more games but I'd have to sit and think about it.

Attached: download (18).jpg (1920x1080, 304.38K)

>Story and characters
Vast majority of the genres in any media have templates for that. Adventure specifically have been almost directly based on the hero's journey ever since Lucas did it with Star Wars.
I unironically feel like marvel did a good job mixing genres like "X, but with Y", and that's as much freshness I'd expect from any modern mainstream media today.

Outer Wilds did for me

immersiveness is such a dumb meme. there's a lot of things irl that can't translate well into videogames. this is the exact reason why games like skyrim are complete shit

Not him but interested. What are some good fantasy books you would recommend?

>the ones that were truly engaging
Any examples? I need a good book to read. Every time I go on a reading binge I eventually run into a shitty book that will remind me literature can be bad as well and then I stop reading for like another 6 months

anything from Howard's Conan series might be up your alley if you haven't read them

Because the internet now spoils the adventure for you. Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 had so much mystery to the world that just running around was awesome.

>marvel
OOF

elden bingus

I'll give one a try thanks

Why are there no games with megastructures?

Attached: paul-chadeisson-testspeed-0150c13b.jpg (1920x1765, 1.17M)

I'll never get tired of posting these
youtu.be/Q970MFqoDN4
youtu.be/a4_UnY-kTmQ
I'm pretty sure this is the one that's gonna deliver.

Attached: Project_Awakening_180910_04.png (880x496, 958.12K)

too much effort required

These threads are always vaguely defined nonsense so that whenever anything close comes out you guys can keep moving goalposts about how there will never be a game that matches your sought after sense of adventure.

Attached: paul-chadeisson-testspeed-0353d2.jpg (1920x956, 475.07K)

Everything is overly formalized
Your sense of adventure died when video games had to follow a specific well explained format instead of just letting you have a go at it yourself.

Try everquest project 99 and you'll know the difference immediately.

Attached: everquest-20th-anniversary-8.jpg (1658x934, 370.36K)

Attached: paul-chadeisson-world-01-photobashing-02.jpg (1920x1102, 626.29K)

pretty sure it's ded

Attached: 1609673953194.webm (640x360, 2.86M)

People complain about them not being realistic or possible.
>WHAT DO THEY EAT? IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE A TOWER THAT LONG. NO, FLOATING ISLANDS AND WATERFALLS DON'T MAKE SENSE STOP IT

Attached: Blame%21.And.So.On.full.103511.jpg (945x1329, 598.85K)

>start the game with a weapon, a note for your guild master, maybe some spells
>you suck at everything
>no compass and your sense of direction is ass
kino

Attached: paul-chadeisson-testspeed-0153b2.jpg (1920x1218, 1.16M)