Redpill me on No More Heroes

>Is it worth playing?
>Where do I start?
>Can I emulate the Wii versions and play it with a normal controller or do you NEED a motion controller?

Attached: no-more-heroes.jpg (1084x689, 266.22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=juRhRiFqVo4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yes
1st game
yes but you need motion controls, you can emulate the ps3 version which doesn't need them but the art style takes a MAJOR hit

Attached: NMH.webm (640x360, 2.84M)

They're good, the first game is the best one. Second game is similar to 1 but has flaws like levels that drag on way too long and some shitty/forgettable bosses. Travis Strikes Again is different but still a good game but more of a anniversary title for Grasshopper so it references a bunch of Suda's other games. 3's good and has the best gameplay and enemy design in the series but the open world sucks and levels were removed.

Attached: 1630637745945.jpg (720x720, 36.44K)

You don't need motion controls to emulate on Wii, pretty sure you can map everything to the right stick just fine. All *FOUR* of those games are great. Travis Strikes Again is not a spin-off, if you run through these you have to play it. NMH is a wild, wild, wild, wild, wild ride

>You don't need motion controls to emulate on Wii,
yeah you do it works like absolute trash otherwise

Play them in release order until you can't stomach anymore
Switch ports with a pro controller are the best way to play them

just play the PC version with a controller

>Is it worth playing?
Not really, and especially not since the third one killed all momentum the series had. Essentially it’s a “You cared about the story? The characters? Uh, why?” message from the creator.
>Where do I start?
1st one and TSB are the only ones anyone would consider “good”. Third one is a fun spectacle so long as you go in without caring about Travis, any of the side characters or any of the ongoing narrative
>Can I emulate the Wii versions and play it with a normal controller or do you NEED a motion controller?
You need a motion controller, or you could emulate the shitty PS3 version

Attached: 238AB697-1DF5-4119-A6BA-DB5563554B59.jpg (2564x4096, 871.49K)

>don't play the early good games because the later games were bad
retarded, just skip TSB and 3 and you have 2 kino games.

The first two games are available on PC dude, you don't need to emulate unless you absolutely need the 480p experience.

Attached: 1419473576811.jpg (640x481, 49.77K)

kek we literally all forgot about them

it's full blown gay

2 isn't good secondary

It depends, are you interested only in No More Heroes, or the entire autistic Sudaverse?

There's nothing wrong with just playing NMH 1, 2, and TSA.
3 is...questionable.

Attached: 1632530182666.jpg (405x501, 28.69K)

Play the first game and then pretend it was a cute one off.

>3's good
lmao

Yes it is.

Attached: Dolphin 2022-02-07 23-57-44.jpg (1920x1200, 341.11K)

The first one is a weird classic. The second one is more of the first with scrambled priorities and a general lack of purpose beyond being a cash-in. Travis Strikes Again is dull but passable. No More Heroes 3 likewise is a forced sequel, but it understands this and is a lot more creative and fun for it. The original is the only "essential" one, but I like all three main NMH games.

It's better than 2. 3 is disappointing but I'd sooner replay it than I would ever replay 2.

This whole series has the annoying gimmick of "hahaha im pretending to be retarded, arent i so self aware and cute".
It's tiresomd.

Not that user, but it is.

>Is it worth playing?
Yes, it's pretty short and has a lot of style. People exaggerate grinding side jobs, but it's not really an issue unless you want to buy all of the clothes.
>Where do I start?
NMH1 and then stop.
The Wii version needs motion controls unless you want to do some work arounds, but at that point you might as well just play the PC version. Just make sure to mod back in Heavenly Star.

1,2, and Travis Strikes Again are all worth your time. NMH3 has as much character as a newer Family Guy episode.

NMH1 grew on me like a good album.
The game is outdated in a lot of ways and pretty damn jank but by the end of it I was so goddamn invested. Now I just boot up the game and plough through it like I would with Dark Souls.

You are one exceptionally bright user. No More Heroes 3 IS better than NMH2, just not in the level design, or even the gameplay, bosses are definitely weaker, the soundtrack is quite worse, even the pop culture references are worse in NMH3. Actually, what the fuck are you saying user. How much of a mouth breaking jungle monkey do you have to be to think NMH3 is any good?

People that genuinely think 2 is in any way fun haven't played it recently. But by all means get roped into playing it so you can spam super mode while mindlessly slashing through fat enemies in levels feel like they go on forever.

Not to mention Travis acts like a fucking jock the entire game.

when you play it on a actual emulator. The switch ver is unplayable

2 is kino check the filename

you have to be autistic to imply otherwise

Attached: Dolphin 2022-02-07 23-27-29.jpg (1920x1200, 346.07K)

I played it for the first time a few weeks ago
Aside from the parking lot level and Jasper the gameplay is as good or better than 1, that's a fact

>level design
I'd take no levels that just dump me straight into actual fights over 2's painful slogs.
>gameplay
3's gameplay is the best in the series, which is also helped by 3's enemies actually being a fucking threat and having unique attacks.
>bosses are weaker
2's bosses are a huge mixed bag, some like Margaret and Alice are great, while others like Shake or the final boss are just awful, and the rest are honestly forgettable. I can at least remember all of 3's bosses and I didn't hate any of them.
>soundtrack is worse
I'll give you this, the soundtrack is 2's best strength.
>even the pop culture references are worse
Who cares, they're stupid in all NMH games.

Attached: 1624314105960.webm (960x540, 2.98M)

just play nmh1

Correct.

>I'd take no levels that just dump me straight into actual fights over 2's painful slogs.
3 is just those same painful slogs but in a single room with enemies waves that spawn in

Trouble in your virtual world?

Yeah and 3's gameplay is actually fun and gives you a bunch of options in combat, and the enemies require you to change up your playstyle to fight them. 2 is the same basic enemies the entire fucking game.

the music is better too

GETTING YOUR JOLLIESCHICKENSHITGETTING YOUR JOLLIESCHICKENSHITGETTING YOUR JOLLIESCHICKENSHITGETTING YOUR JOLLIESCHICKENSHITGETTING YOUR JOLLIESCHICKENSHITGETTING YOUR JOLLIESCHICKENSHITGETTING YOUR JOLLIESCHICKENSHITGETTING YOUR JOLLIESCHICKENSHITGETTING YOUR JOLLIESCHICKENSHITGETTING YOUR JOLLIESCHICKENSHITGETTING YOUR JOLLIESCHICKENSHITGETTING YOUR JOLLIESCHICKENSHITGETTING YOUR JOLLIESCHICKENSHITGETTING YOUR JOLLIESCHICKENSHITGETTING YOUR JOLLIESCHICKENSHITGETTING YOUR JOLLIESCHICKENSHITGETTING YOUR JOLLIESCHICKENSHITGETTING YOUR JOLLIESCHICKENSHITGETTING YOUR JOLLIESCHICKENSHITGETTING YOUR JOLLIESCHICKENSHIT

2 doesn't have pleather for breakfest or no more no more heroes so it's worse than 1 by default.

TSA's soundtrack is also better than 2's.

I can forgive plenty of 3's shortcomings, but the alien grunts being completely mute was a massive mistake.

I don't think it's a bad game, but it's the weakest of the three by far. I still enjoy it for what it is. "Philistine" is rad.

1st game yes. It's subversive before the idea was run into the ground, be sure to look up how to perform shadow stepping, it's a main mechanic that's not explained to well but it absolutely changes everything once you learn it. 2nd game was by a different director, he took the series into a more serious direction, it's really good, took everything about the first thing gameplay wise and improved on it, the story is well done, nothing oscar worthy but good none the less. 3rd game..... as someone who loves no moreheroes, god he dropped the ball on that one, game play is an improvement over the original but the game feels less like a subversion in how the og did it, and more like he took both 1 and 2 and tried to mash them together and it just feels like it's serious, and at the same time it's not, and then there's the constant Takashii Mike dick riding oh my god, had it been someone new every chapter that'd be cool but holy shit fuck off, do you not watch anyone but Mike? Travis is annoying with it. This is subjective, but you'll get an idea what I mean if you just play them yourself.

>1 and 2 and tried to mash them together
The director of 2 was the co-director on 3 so that makes sense.

> or even the gameplay, bosses are definitely weaker
IN WHAT WORLD user
When was the last time you actually played these two back to back? I genuinely struggle to remember most NMH2 bosses because they were either over in a second (Matt Helms, the acid chick etc.) or were so fucking bad that I want to erase them from my memory (all of Shinobu's bosses, the mech fight, Ryuji). It had some good ones, like Margaret, Alice and Vladimir but they were few and far between. Meanwhile I have pretty fond memories of most 3 bosses including their gimmicks and mechanics. Gold Joe, Native Dancer, Destroyman 3, Mr. Blackhole etc. are all pretty fun and unique in that aspect, especially on higher difficulties. Fu's final form and Kimmy are stinkers, though. Definitely.

And gameplay? Dude, the only thing 2 has over 3 is the variety of weapon types, maybe. Which to be fair, is a huge fucking diappointment in 3's case but that game is saved by the fact that it doesn't only have 3 extremely similar, damage spongy enemy types that you fight for the entirety of the game. Just thinking about Margaret's or Alice's stages again makes me want to fucking end myself. What were they thinking? 3's random battles might be a really shitty replacement when they could've just made full stages with decent level design ala NMH1 again, but at least they were never "fight the same two chainsaw dudes in this parking lot for 20 minutes straight with no music playing" tier. So, I guess that's something.

I do agree that 2 has the best OST in the series next to TSA and 1, though. I think that fact unites us all. Anyways OP, play the Wii/Switch version of NMH1 with motion controls if you can and make your way through the series in release order. Ignore Heroes' Paradise. And don't skip TSA. Besides some levels that can drag on for a ridiculous amount of time, it's some real good shit. Killer Marathon is the best level in the entire series.

Attached: catto.jpg (636x693, 34K)

That explains so much actually, it felt like the story was fighting between serious, and not serious the whole game. The Henry fight for example had him go crazy and recount to Travis their horrid childhood, but he went crazy because watched Marvels Thor, and his personality change was literally out of nowhere, then when Travis kills him, Silvia comes out and is like, eh, what can ya do, going back to bed, THE WHOLE SECOND GAME WAS TRAVIS ADMITING HE LIKED HIM! Like I understand fighting to the death, but there felt like there was no honor to the fight, like he just wanted Henry gone because he was annoying, not because he was a challenge for him.

absolutely based and accurate post, I'll never understand 2fags. Also why the fuck does 2 make you play as Henry for only one boss fight when he has a way more interesting moveset than Travis or Shinobu?

>or even the gameplay, bosses are definitely weaker
Dream on, you goddamn pussy.

Play 1 and nothing else. I had a friend hype up Suda's games so I played the NMH series a week before 3 came out. I don't think I've ever been as disappointed in a game as when I played 3 when it dropped. It's such a piece of shit game with no redeeming qualities except the gameplay. Never gonna try anything this guy recommends seeing as he said it was GOTY.

Suda drones will eat anything this guy shits out and praise it.

2 is a better game than 1 in terms of gameplay, and the fantastic soundtrack alone makes it worth playing at least once.

Give me a reason why you hate 2 other than the typical NOTMUHSUDA nonsense you newfag cultists spout.

the states are repetitive, half of the bosses aren't fun, and the enemies suck. The writing is the least of the game's problems.
Also

As insanely flawed as all of these game are, I can't help but love 'em from the bottom of my heart. I really wanna play a bizarro version of NMH3 that wasn't hit by the covid situation during production and actually had a long and healthy development cycle. Multiple playable characters, actual levels, storylines that aren't just brought up and dropped in one chapter, the entire Shadows of the Damned prison break sequence etc. That shit would be so cash. Oh, how much I long for that game. A Definitve Edition or the like that adds some of the crazy amount of cut content would be neat, but even that feels like a faraway dream that'll never become reality. I'm still confused as to why and how Grasshopper doesn't even really have the rights to their own IP, which otherwise could allow them to do that with enough funding. It just sounds insane to me.

Hope that Hotel Barcelona game turns out good, though.

Attached: 1633414625046.jpg (198x220, 79.28K)

>Hotel Barcelona
Have we gotten any more info on that or the rumored FSR remake? I need to play FSR on something that isn't a fucking DS.
youtube.com/watch?v=juRhRiFqVo4

Attached: 1630950027768.jpg (800x600, 85.29K)

2 has like two or three versions of NMH and it's own better songs.

Is 3 emulatable yet?

Not since last year where Suda simply said something along the lines of "Yo. Still working on it.", which sucks because they already "announced" it 3 years ago IIRC. It hurts to get blueballed for this long, man. No word on that FSR remake, either. Whatever's going down in Grasshopper's offices right now seems to be a mystery to most of us.

Attached: 1337085092317.png (500x500, 70.94K)

I'd recomment the first 2 on a real Wii. They use the Wiimote in cool ways

Seeing that Grasshopper is gonna be probably working with a smaller budget and original ip directed by Suda, I'm expecting a full return to kino. GHM should stick to just making TSA or 25th Ward scale games for a while even if they are getting a decent bit of Chinese publisher money.
They're looking to hire a bunch of people right now and are currently in the process of moving into a new office.

>Whatever's going down in Grasshopper's offices right now seems to be a mystery to most of us.

Just to round things up

Confirmed
>5 projects in developement (3 new IPs, 2 returning)
>Notorious will be in one of them
>In talks to outsource FSR remake/remaster

Rumored
>Lollipop Chainsaw and Shadows of the Damned are involved in some capacity
>unclear if these are new entries or remasters

I hope Suda continues directing instead of taking a backseat again, I'd love to see some new IPs from him.

He said he never plans on doing that ever again a while ago.

I'm pretty sure he said he'd be directing. I hope their recent hires are more for technical skills, but I also a little worried Suda said they'd be open to foreign employees.