Nioh 2

TLDR
Pros
- certain mechanics of weapon designs and quality of life designs are very nice.
- aesthetics are nice

Cons
- combat is difficult but has no satisfaction.
- would rather fight Nameless King, Midir, and Friede at the same time than keep playing this.

I tried to like the game, but honestly found it very hard to. Originally I bought it thinking it would be similar to Dark Souls, but that is the wrong mindset to play the game with. It definitely is a "souls-like" game, but heavily lacks what I found enjoyable in other games in that genre. Game definitely has a lot of interesting mechanics that I did enjoy, but overall the game left me frustrated more than anything.

Cons
- Combat. It feels like a coin flip. Even basic enemies and bandits can chunk you with 75% of your hp with one hit. Bosses and "mini-bosses" are even worse. They deal a ton of damage and hit stuns will fuck you over. Getting hit even once usually means you'll eat the rest of the combo and die. Even if you beat them down to a sliver of their hp, getting caught means you get run over. Combat is pretty fast paced. So sometimes you just respawn, get hit with 1 combo and die again within 20 or 30 seconds. This gets very tiring and frustrating since the margin for error is so small. Leveling up also doesn't seem to do much. I was 10 levels over the recommended level for the mission and I still ate crap. There's a difference between getting good and trying to beat artificial difficulty.
- Community. I went to look for help to find tips on how to get better or maybe find out what was wrong with how I was approaching the game. Most of what I got from others was that the game was hard and learn how to Ki Pulse properly. While ki pulse is vital for managing your ki (stamina), it still didn't help with the problems I had with overall combat. Community seems to kind of put off people looking for help or just laugh off when complaints are made about bad mechanics in the game.

Attached: nioh2ss.jpg (2560x1440, 966.7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/emmsxaC8D_8?t=20562
nexusmods.com/nioh2/mods/291
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>combat is difficult but has no satisfaction.
Okay i'll bite, can you develop that point?

>- Combat. It feels like a coin flip. Even basic enemies and bandits can chunk you with 75% of your hp with one hit.
I really hateto use that phrase because of how much it's been memed to death and lost a lot of significance, but GIT fucking GUD. I can guarantee you you're one of those shitters that gets filtered by ki pulsing and think he HAS TO dodge everything as if it was fucking dark souls and even forgets he has a block button or access to useful shit like ninjutsu or onmyo

Better than elden ring

I told you. I told you that If you like Souls / Sekiro / Elden Ring you won't like Nioh.
It's your fault for not listening.

Attached: 1646282372825.jpg (1024x956, 64.82K)

Get new material

The best part is the bonuses you get for ki pulsing, a mid stance perfect pulse will net you a free block, perfect ki pulse in low gets you a free dodge. Not to mention how you can ki pulse on dodge too, once you get the timing nailed down everything just flows in a way that screams 'you only had yourself to blame for being a shitter'.

Flux and Flux II are when you reach true enlightment

The Nioh community is bad? I've learned detailed helpful stuff just from watching youtube videos.

>Combat. It feels like a coin flip.
I get that you can get demolished even by regular goons with a single hit and most enemies (at the same level) need more than one hit to kill, but no matter your build, you should be able to dissect weaknesses from each type of enemy, either from their moveset, element, range, etc.
I'm ass at the game and I abused the fuck out of magic and ninjutsu buffs on both games. Yet, I think I managed to get a grip on the enemies and combat to a point where I could increase my success rate to a point where I can't really consider it a coinflip.
That being said, I still struggle a lot against the Raven Tengus from 2.

Truth, it's amazing how you can essentially have infinite ki if you just pay enough attention to your timing.

Watched a few minutes of this game on youtube, i assume all the flashy colours and sparkly shit everywhere becomes background noise when you're playing it.

>- would rather fight Nameless King, Midir, and Friede at the same time than keep playing this.
I feel like you don't understand the meaning of a "con", but I'm not surprised that Yea Forums is illiterate, especially the Souls fanbase.

I was talking to a friend the other day and told me he felt Nioh 2 jumped the shark with the difficulty in comparisson to the first game (he's at early game) and asked me if he needed to base his build around ki.
I basically told him that he didn't need to, and that all the ki penalties from the dark realms and other stuff is because they really need a mechanic to balance Flux and Flux II.

I have a feeling that most new players to Nioh don't use all the tools given to them. They simply ignore yokai abilities, burst counters, even just transforming and just opt to mash the attack button.

This is what people mean when they say "play it like Dark Souls". It isn't some insult. People just aren't playing the game correctly.

Even DPS is good at Nioh 2
Imagine being WORSE than him

youtu.be/emmsxaC8D_8?t=20562

Elden Shit Ring is garbage. Nioh and Nioh 2 are far superior.

Fist is such a great fucking weapon, pure monster ki damage, nothing resists it + you get a fucking izuna drop.

Nice opinions there. Maybe learn how to play the game efficiently before actually claiming anything about the combat being satisfying or not. If you think bosses have so much life i can already tell you aren't use yokai skills or burst counters effectively let alone other tools. The only boss in the main game i felt had alot of life was Shibata.

The problem is a lot of those people have been completely brainwashed by the idea that because they've played dark souls they have no lessons or tips to receive from anyone because beating dark souls has been memed into some insane achievement that means you're some sort of god gamer. So when you tell them they're playing it wrong, they get mad. It's like in every forum post, tey all start their tirade with "for the record i've beat every souls game several times etc etc..." and then proceed to bitch and show clearly that they haven't understoof nioh or whatever other game's mechanics.

>Combat feels like a coin flip
How? Almost everything in the game besides very rare boss situations are all reactable and manageable for the player. Normal enemies are never too overwhelming. Why is it a 50/50 chance? Aka a coin flip?

>blahblahblahblahblahblah

Nioh 2 is the best videogame ever made in the last 5 years. You cant change my mind. Become skilled.

Attached: 1616160381288.jpg (684x1024, 118.97K)

Playing through demon. Any fun graces to fuck around? I'm running the one that gives you a bonus each time you use a different skill but holy fuck it was a bad idea to run it with a weapon I haven't used in a while. Had so much fun with spear I forgot completely how to use duals and odachi(well odachi at least is easy but lacks skills to trigger the bonuses). I miss being able to face tank everything by stacking amrita healing on everything with raging bull though.

>izuna drop
>not the anima absorbing dragon fang/etc finishers where you stare menacingly

I'm just a sucker for izuna drop. I miss NG

Nioh 2 even has mods like THIS
nexusmods.com/nioh2/mods/291

Get Flux/Flux II and force yourself to use it until it becomes muscle memory.
Blocking is often better than dodging. Even if you want to dodge you can still hold block while you do it.
Use burst counters.
Use Yokai abilities.
Use your transformation.
Low stance should be your neutral stance. You have the best dodge with it.
Mid is good for blocking but you honestly don't want to be blocking more than 1 attack if you don't have high toughness. Just block once and backstep out.
High is for getting in big damage during openings.
Check your inventory for useful items. Read what everything does and experiment with it all.
Put 20-30 points into dex/magic so you can experiment with most of the different options in the ninja/magic trees.
Bing different active skills to each stance.
Remember that you have 2 weapons. Once you get good with everything above you can start switching weapons mid combo. There is a skill that will make you perform an attack when switching weapons.

I have AA courage and AA agility. What is this Flux you speak of

>Bing different active skills to each stance.
Bind

>Low stance should be your neutral stance
>Mid is good for blocking but you honestly don't want to be blocking more than 1 attack
Gay.

I like DMC5 more but otherwise i agree.

Then go for full toughness instead of agility if you want to block a shitload of consecutive attacks for some reason. I just prefer agility over toughness. It gives you a shitload more freedom when dancing around enemies.

>combat is difficult but has no satisfaction
Thats a personal problem.

You are correct. I barely notice it.

Reminds me when Monster Hunter hit mainstream masses hard with World and every. single. post. was people getting filtered on Anjanath and being told they are playing it wrong with their response also being the defacto "im good at games I play Soulsshit". It's insane how Bamco created a cult of npcs who worship their product

>proceeds to get 1 shot

No because I know how to block. I know that I am able to backstep out after a block EVERY TIME.

It's not about one game or the other being better or worse; it's about both series having conflicting design philosophies so if you like one you won't like the other.
In fact your post agreed with it.

Can confirm. I was halfway through the hame by the time I even started experimenting with ninjutsu/onmyo

Is ligma 1 version of ninja gaiden all right? I tried to emulate NGB but it ran like shit. I heard that 2 got really fucked by all the changes but looking at changes for 1 it doesn't seem to be that bad so decided to check the first one out although I'm not sure if I do or do not like getting the
>jump toward enemy to fly through it
skill so early but it's fun to use.

Not him but I like both. You are able to like both for different reasons.

>It's insane how Bamco created a cult of npcs who worship their product
It's more like a bunch of losers latched into this obscure, at the time, series and decided to build their identity around it, the rest was just bamco noticing it and giving these idiots what they wanted

I like both but I've very rarely seen people enjoy both. For that reason I never recommend Nioh to a Souls player or Souls to a Nioh player.

>Once you get good with everything above you can start switching weapons mid combo
I have almost 400 hours across both Niohs and this still fucks my brain up. It's really some high-level shit.

Yea true Bamco saw the money and validated their existence with a fuckton of souls games. Shame too because when they try we have AC games or well designed polished Sekiro.

>Community
The bait threads on Yea Forums? Nioh has a great community otherwise, including many tutorial videos

Or you can just like different things for different reasons. That's not something so crazy, is it?

I like all 4 games you posted. If you're not a midwit it's possible to like different games for different reasons

It's a personal thing, but I though the High Stance rolls were better than the Low Stance dodges when it came to actually avoiding damage.

I started playing when the last dlc of Nioh 2 came out and even here the threads were super comfy bar the usual shitters. Given the lackluster wiki they were useful too, it was a pretty kino period

Attached: Venice.jpg (1888x1062, 139.55K)

>Venice
hehe

Well my philosophy is that you can't block while rolling. Always be blocking. Maybe if you have more toughness than agility it is better to roll since you can't get out as quick.

You dont know how fucking much i want to replay this game man

I finsihed it like 2 weeks ago on my gaming laptop that barely ran it (so imagine the overheat), so i dont want to keep playing on it. I want to replay it on a ps5 i will soon have

Screw ER, screw other games, ill replay nioh 2 on my ps5 first to finish it again with a different set up, finish the DLCs and other stuff

Cant wait to see how HD and 60 fps will look

i'm grateful we at least got something like Sekiro and i'm also grateful to games like this for turning me into an action game fan. Loved Sekrio, DMC, Nioh, MGR, Vanquish, Bayo ,NG and even stufflike Transformers devastation. Playing all these games made me realize that the souls formula refused to reinvent itself because idiots would still continue to buy them, and when it did evolve (sekiro) people complained it was too different. I honestly don't mind bamco making everytiing dark souls, i'm just grateful it's been able to help me deepen my horizons and refine my tastes

>like different things for different reasons
Again, that's not how it works. Souls and Nioh belong to completely opposite specters of gaming design so if you like one you will dislike the other because the other is designed in a way you don't like. For example the last thing people who love unique gear with rich lore want is an RNG sword of the devil slasher +5.

It's similar to right and left wing politics: they're completely opposite and naturally conflicting so you can align with one or the other.

High stance has the most iframes but you cannot evade cancel a roll. Mid and moreso light stance is better for chaining iframes into eachother with no gaps

do i skip 1 and go straight to 2?

Sekiro isn't an evolution of Souls: it's From's attempt at their own Ninja Gaiden-style game. It's a completely different game.

High stance rolls have more i-frames but more recovery. So high stance is more reliable for dodging single hit attacks but you might get fucked up by a multi-hitting move unless you roll through an enemy properly and it doesn't turn to face you too soon. Light stance evasions are great for keeping distance or for multi-hit moves if you know the timing(or just circle around an enemy's back to poke between attacks if you're crazy).
Also KI cost. High is 200, mid is 100 and low is 50. I move around by low stance dodging all the time because of how cheap it is. But yeah shit like running grabs I always dodge in high since I'm still not used to the i-frames of low stance and might get hit sometimes.

Attached: 1451873857231.jpg (600x450, 188K)

the threads from the original Nioh is what made me get into the series
if you have a backlog and only want to experience one game, yes, you can skip 1

>- combat is difficult but has no satisfaction.
Absolutely wrong. Nioh 2 has a great back and forth where enemies will attack you, but leave you enough openings to break their Ki then go to town on them. If its not satisfying unironically git gud.

I personally hate Sekiro because it's a passive game: the entire combat revolves around parrying and your sword may as well not exist.
It's the only action game I've played where attacking is borderline useless and you're intended to just parry everything.

>the threads from the original Nioh is what made me get into the series
Don't lie. Yea Forums hated the original Nioh and it was always impossible to discuss it here; I gave up trying to talk or make threads about that game.
t. Bought and played the PS4 version on launch

Dude what. I legit enjoy both for different reasons. Nioh I play for that action game feeling because you can do crazy shit. Dark Souls I play for that sense of adventure checking out cool fantasy locations and what not and sometimes it's fun to relax and just R1 shit.

I'm not lying. I lurked the threads and finally bought the game late 2019.

I really love the combat in Stranger of Paradise and almost exclusively used Lance + Knuckles. Jobs were mostly Dragoon, Breaker, Tyrant, Monk, Ninja, & Liberator. What would I like in Nioh 2?

Attached: 1647042810917.jpg (892x1024, 131.34K)

>It's the only action game I've played where attacking is borderline useless and you're intended to just parry everything.
Because the entire point of the game is to break posture, you can insta kill ennemies when breaking their posture, it's kind of evident why attacking doesn't do that much actual health damage. Besides you're rewarded for being agressive, you build posture and you force the ennemy to parry, and counter attack, so there's an actual nice back and forth in the combat Being passive in this game is the worst way to play it It's not fun and takes too long

That's a fair criticism. You play reactively instead of being pro active in your gameplay and that can be a turnoff to how the best action series play out. I grew to like it and after seeing garbage like ER come out with 4 years of development put into the open world but forget to make an actual game in the process lit a fire in my ass.

The opening to nioh2 doesn't help itself for this.
You start off with nothing interesting apart from ki pulse, otherwise it's dodge 2xstab string block, especially before you know some yokai enemy movesets.
The first monkey fight is probably overtuned for new players.

Attached: 1_0.jpg (2667x800, 433.77K)

I think you're trying to play it like Dark Souls. The game is very very deep mechanically and it requires you to learn those mechanics to really beast out.

Attached: 1648987687906.webm (512x288, 2.39M)