Linux Gaming

>Linux gamer
>Open Steam
>It has to update ALL of my installed games every single time I open Steam

This irks me a little bit

Attached: linux-tux-penguin-3d-model-rigged-obj-3ds-blend-mtl.jpg (1080x1080, 40.94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

scummvm.org/compatibility/
gamingonlinux.com/2022/03/wine-and-proton-have-a-curious-case-of-phasmophobia/
forums.lutris.net/t/vortex-mod-manager-doesnt-boot-after-install/14829
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>linux
>gaming

Attached: 1648233786914.jpg (228x250, 6.23K)

linux gaming
you cant launch your game unless you reinstall graphics cards drivers that made it so you cant launch your computer
linux gaming

Linux gaming
Oopsies, Nvidia drivers suck ass on Linux and nobody warns you ahead of time when most people own an Nvidia graphics card. Hope you don't mind buying a brand new $1000 AMD gpu while migrating to Linux.
Linux gaming

It's shader garbage. I just set everything except the ones I play routinely to update on launch only.

>>It has to update ALL of my installed games every single time I open Steam
yeah it fucking annoys me too, but it's usually shader caches
occasionally SF4 or MGSV want to redownload 8gb, those are the worst offenders

Our year.

Cope, chud. You have the option to NOT use Steam.

>You have the FREEDOM
ftfy

You also have that option on Windows and Mac.

but it ain't FREEDOM

Just crack your games if you dont like them being managed by steam

>nobody warns you ahead of time that Nvidia drivers suck ass
I get this is bait, however.
Literally the first thing anyone talks about graphics card wise with Nvidia being total shitheads unless you're doing compute shit. You'll even hear it before anticheat shitware breaking proton.
There's people willing to do Nvidia's job for them yesterday if they'd stop being assholes.

It's called shader pre-caching, moron. You can turn it off.

I have to agree with this post. Every linux thread I've seen has a post complaining about Nvidia.

It's the same shit, you autistic fuck.

AMD open source being better than Nvidia and consequently less shit on Linux is pretty surface level knowledge.

Nvidia drivers work.
Ironically they're a waaaaaaay better solution than AMD if you use Gentok for example.
People mostly complain about the fact they're closed source.

to a Windows or Mac user, maybe. it's fine to not "get" FREEDOM

>it's fine to not "get" FREEDOM
You can drop the LARP. I'm sure that you use non-free software and non-free hardware and you'll justify it with mental gymnastics.

I don't have to justify it, I do what I want. it's called FREEDOM

Mental gymnastics are always easier with an arbitrary increase in your degrees of FREEDOM.

There's a give and take. Nvidia with their CUDA cores work better for productivity software (like, Blender for example. While there is HIP GPU acceleration for AMD graphics cards, HIP doesn't currently exist on Linux)

But I've witnessed first hand that games performed significantly worse with my GTX950 on Linux than they did on Windows.

I had Steam on Linux a few years ago, never had this happen. I think you're holding your mouth wrong.

A few years ago would be before Proton and the shader precaching/precompiling, which by the way you can also do on Steam for Windows.

>Nvidia drivers suck ass on Linux
reddit meme
the people complaining about nvidia are kernel and wayland developers because nvidia doesn't cooperate with them
the drivers are fine

>installing drivers
>linux
lmao
We did warn you though. You just didn't listen.

1096 Verified
1019 Playable
18686+ Native
??? Native-adjacent
1063 Unsupported (259 VR)

It certainly wasn't a meme to get them to work on one of my laptops.
Hell the first good experience I had with an Nvidia GPU on linux was an old Steam Machine I had, and I'm 90% sure that's because Valve actually made sure it worked.

>900+ Games on GOG and Steam
>Switch pro controller
>Cherry MX Blue Switch mechanical keyboard
>Have both Nvidia and AMD cards
>Currently playing Elden Ring and Battle Sector at max FPS
>Arch Linux is best Linux
Linux is comfy for computer nerds. Sorry normies, Linux make Computing fun.

Attached: Screenshot_20220406_222716.png (1920x1080, 2.43M)

>18686+ Native
I think it's closer to 9000 if you show games only (excluding DLC and other crap).

It's just easier because I can't imagine people putting in the same filtering effort for Windows, which is 61657+26480 DLC.

based fellow gog chad

Attached: gog.png (2560x1382, 2.96M)

Fair enough.
I just checked games only and it's
>9,481 results match your search. 333 titles have been excluded based on your preferences.
but if you say "over 9000" then people think you're doing a meme.

>Slackware
TRULY, A BASED MAN.
I'm too dumb for Slackware so I settled on Arch.

Attached: Screenshot_20220406_152435.png (1920x1080, 2.61M)

>594788831
>Linux gamer
>Open Steam
>It has to update ALL of my installed games every single time I open Steam
Lol, stop using HDDs. SSD's are the future my dude.

Also, for boomers,
329 DOSBox-powered games (Linux has DOSBox even if Steam doesn't give you that version, and you can use Boxtron to swap out the Windows DOSBox for the Linux one)
52 ScummVM-powered games (Linux has ScummVM too and if a game only comes with the Windows version then you can use Roberta)
??? games with source ports (I don't know how to count these but you probably play one if you have good taste)

what really gets me about shader compilation is retroarch. there is -no- reason for it
>already linux native
>most games/cores don't even use shaders, or at least ones worth precompiling
>and for the ones that do you probably aren't playing them

>52 ScummVM-powered games
*on Steam.
The full list of ScummVM-compatible games is obviously larger than that.
scummvm.org/compatibility/

No mention to the hundreds of emulators?

Fuck Media Foundation.

Attached: Strikers.png (1958x1197, 2.87M)

DOSBox is an emulator :^)
But yeah sorry I wasn't thinking of console games.

>Hypnospace Outlaw TTS function doesn't work on Linux
>There is no mention about this on the game page
I'm angry

Attached: 1627765280371.jpg (1280x720, 142.59K)

Check Protondb before you get annoyed.

It has a native linux port

Attached: 1626910113880.gif (480x360, 2.47M)

You can still try running it with Proton, which is probably what the other guy is implying. However, I only see two reports on ProtonDB, and they both seem to be describing the native version (which is apparently allowed on ProtonDB now, probably because people just kept doing it regardless), so looking at ProtonDB won't actually tell you whether this game works with Proton unless I'm missing something.

Not him.
gamingonlinux.com/2022/03/wine-and-proton-have-a-curious-case-of-phasmophobia/

protondb is worthless outside of someone saying it works using xxxxxx command, so many people have shit fucked on their system where games crash or dont launch because they're missing a dependency and too stupid to realize it, ive run into so many games that worked without tweaking but protondb comments were all "BLACK SCREENS" etc...

If you want to keep local backups of games you don't play, create a Steam library on a mass storage drive or external drive.
Have Steam move your games to it then temove that as a library.

It’s like windows gaming in the 90s

yeah seems a meme. Never had issues with the drivers, but the viewport and underscan settings have been a bit fucky for a while now

>I've witnessed first hand that games performed significantly worse with my GTX950 on Linux than they did on Windows.
Its because the GTX 950 is pre-Vulkan hardware. Sure Nvidia has software support for Vulkan on those cards, but its a real hack work around.
Nvidia didn't really have decent Vulkan support till the 2000 series cards.
Meanwhile Vulkan is basically a native API for AMD hardware back to the earliest GCN cards even if it requires jumping through a hoop to enable it on some of them.

that is the problem with proton, a lot of dumb reports of people just assuming it will work 100% on every game they try and will say its broken without trying any winetricks etc

There shouldn't be reports for native on protondb, that's really stupid. It's literally called protondb.

Honestly that was one of the appeals when I really got back into gaming on PC when Valve started adding GNU/Linux support about a decade ago.
It was right around the time that indie games started to really come into their own, and so many of the games were written by the same kind of small teams that had made games back when I'd been playing them a lot back in the late 90s and when I'd seen the death of that kind of small development studio first hand in the early 00s.

It was also way easier for games with native Linux support to stand out and grab attention and headlines.
Something which shitty developers learned to exploit by advertising support and then never delivering.

Any brave gamers out there want to respond to my forum post so I can play overhauled CP2077
forums.lutris.net/t/vortex-mod-manager-doesnt-boot-after-install/14829

Attached: 1649130391794.jpg (457x560, 59.21K)

Depends on what you mean by "suck ass." Do they allow you to play OpenGL 4.6 and modern Vulkan games with some OpenCL and CUDA on the side for productivity? Absolutely.
Do they wind up replacing chunks of your X11 install with nVidia custom version thus causing weirdo compatibility and package dependency errors when you try and install stuff outside the normie tier "apps"? Very much yes.
AMD drivers are basically open source and so whenever a distro needs to slightly tweak it to fit in with their eco-system they do and it all JustWorks™. But they can't do that for nVidia's drivers so everyone gets a little bit of someone else's libraries shoved up their Gentoo holes which may or may not cause you endless hassle depending on what OTHER than games you want your linux install to do.

Have you sidegraded to Wayland yet?

Attached: 1621745235986.png (1200x1200, 63.16K)

Doesn't work on cinnamon

You'll have to pry X11 from my cold, dead hands.

Nbivia driver use to give diagonal tearing with xwayland games but now ut doesnt. So yea... Im thinkin its back. But blender works weird still the ui doesnt draw right on the nvid gpu. So whats that shit.

isn't Ubuntu making it the default session in 22.04?

It slready was but now it is for nvidia to accept old cards basially.