Chrono Cross Discussion

Is this game worth playing? Just came out on the switch. I'm looking for a comfy jrpg experience at the moment.

Attached: cc.jpg (225x225, 11.64K)

It came out like 20 years with more soul

Attached: 2022-03-27-205350_1920x1080_scrot.png (1172x960, 1.88M)

Chrono Cross is absolutely one of the comfiest games ever made.

It is the definition of comfy. But I'm waiting for confirmation if they changed the original soundtrack or not.

That's good news. I haven't played chrono trigger and probably won't before playing cross so I don't mind the grievances some fans have. How's the story/characters?

>Just came out on the switch
Are you from the fucking future?

They are barely connected. You are better off playing Cross first so you are not disappointed/annoyed by choices made late into Cross.

Time zones + even if I wasn't ahead in time the files have already been uploaded online

Theres an overabundance of characters, and unfortunately many of them are throwaways or sidequest rewards without much substance. There are a few who have story relevance or extended personal quests, but finding those bits of story require you to have them with you at specific times, which require extended knowledge of the game or multiple playthroughs to formulate a plan. For example, one character, Nikki, who you may or may not encounter in the first major town in the game, is an optional character who you can get locked out of recruiting and has connections to at least 3 other mandatory recruited characters who you wouls not know are connectes in anyway unless you recruit him and have him with you every time you encounter one of them. He ultimately has a cool main story moment that wraps up his character arc in a nice little bow, but it makes no sense if you didnt see all of his shit before hand. Its intendes for multiple playthroughs.

The story is intentionally convoluted, for better or worse. I reccomend playing through the included text adventure, Radical Dreamers ~The Jewel That Could not be Stolen, before playing Chrono Cross, as it helped me a lot to understand a lot of the key items, characters and themes of CC. CC is actually a remake/retelling of Radical Dreamers, but works better if you consider it an alternate timeline which fits into the themes of CC quite nicely.

Can someone tell me the story to make this game related to Chrono Trigger? I mean if it is barely connected with Trigger what was the point? Just make another it another franchise that every entry is a different universe like FF or Tales of.

It doesn't matter. Nothing matters.

Attached: 613830_screenshots_20180420083610_1.jpg (1602x902, 91.02K)

If you like jrpgs, you'll like it. Just treat it as its own game and not a direct Trigger sequel.

Just play Trigger. Its just one of those quintessential games that all fans of the genre should at least try. And its way better than Cross.

Schala.

They ruined the backgrounds with shitty AI upscale smear. I'll link a better AI upscale a fan did after this

Attached: Chrono-Cross-Dimensional-Vortex.png (1920x1080, 3.31M)

Attached: SXWg783.jpg (1792x2368, 1.32M)

Holy fuck that's unforgivably bad

Attached: 1445916595623.jpg (615x593, 96.06K)

Good music, dumb story, awful combat.
Skip.

It came out in the strategy guide era so I'll play it with a guide.

The crux of the plot revolves around what happens when time travel becomes commonplace, which only happened because Lucca discovered the principles of it in the first game, and the world was not destroyed.
An event called the Time Crash occurs in 2400 AD, sending a time research facility back to ancient times. In an effort to make sure they don't cease to exist due to accidentally affecting the future, they create the archipelago the game takes place in, and try to keep their ancestors from ever leaving. The split dimensions occur when this fails, as they cannot access the Frozen Flame, which lets them see when events can alter the future, in Serge's original timeline. In the alternate timeline, they can still control people via the Records of Fate, ie save points.
There's more to it, because the plot is too contrived for its own good, but that's the crux of it.

basically the shit with Schala is what connects the two games together.

i would be surprised if someone could tell me the difference between this and the hundreds of other generic anime JRPGs.

only ones I'd ever be able to pinpoint out of random screenshots would be were Final Fantasy 7-X, SMT, Persona, and Dragon Quest. not even that I like all of those games, but the rest of these type of alls all mold together.

All you're doing here is broadcasting your ignorance.

please educate me then

Another demaster from the company most proficient in shitting them out. Jesus, what a tragedy.

does the remaster run at 60fps? or is the frame rate still locked to how it was originally?

10fps

What added content does Radical Dreamers Edition have anyway besides graphical tweaks?

So, the game come with the new music or it's just a extra?

kek

nothing, absolutely NOTHING is more generic than Dragon Quest

Been meaning to emulate this for years
Used to not be able to make ps1 emu work
Now I can
Except then this remake started being rumored so I decided to wait longer
Now the remake is releasing and apparently its dogshit
So now I could just emulate it
Except I don't even wanna play it anymore

tl:dr just listen to the soundtrack on Youtube like I have

I love this game and it's soundtrack but I dread listening to the main battle theme one more time...
it's the only thing I NEED a mod to change or something

is a liar. There is no music option.
Early footage shows that Another World Fossil Valley and Termina still have the old music, so we just need to wait for someone to reach the Home World versions to see if they're the same too.

Attached: options.jpg (1411x789, 153.79K)

duh duh DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
duh duh duhhhhhhhhh
duh duh duuuuuuuuuuh
Womp womp womp wompwompwomp
Womp womp womp wompwompwomp?
Womp womp womp wompwompwomp
Womp womp womp wompwompwomp?

Attached: FDGvH4AacAAnPTQ.jpg (3524x2728, 503.35K)

Honestly excited to play this again. My OG discs got scratched and would lock up at certain story pooints. Couldn't be arsed to emulate it so was waiting for a PC port...and here we are.

Happy to play this again starting tomorrow

I still have this on my vita and haven't really played it, is this worth getting on switch or is it literally the same with AI scaling?

It's good. Almost all of the people who hate it are just mad that it's not just Chrono Trigger 2

What kind of nosense is that?
It seems that would do even more damage to the timeline with all their constant meddling

for 20 bucks it's a classic turn based jrpg + a visual novel
i'd say it's worth it

i can hear this

So we're forced to use the new music? Holy shit fuck these guys

Attached: 1620690797760.jpg (250x248, 38.24K)

I'll just wait for them to mod it in :)

Trigger Niggers just hate that their characters don't really have an important part of Cross' story.

On the contrary they do, Robo dies.

the entirety of Cross shouldn't happen to begin with due to Trigger happening. in fact, only Gaea's Navel exists southwest of Porre.

The main trio are just some kids that hang out with Miguel and then chill on Opassa Beach.

yeah i just mute this.

holy shit i stared at this for 5 minutes and didnt even notice the characters i thought this was a troll post

user, your reading comprehension...

ah god dam it whats wrong with the game i just wanted to replay one of my favorites

It's really not, there's no new content that makes it worth playing over just emulating, unless you really wanted to disable enemy encounters (Which there's a cheat for).
The new music is garbage, the AI upscaled backgrounds look terrible. The only good thing is the ROM of radical dreamers, which I can guarantee will be ripped and thrown out into the wild in probably 20 hours, if not less.
It's simply not worth the asking price. Maybe if they update it like they did the abysmal chrono trigger port, but I'm not expecting much.

All of it's "new features" are just basic trainer/cheat shit, the art isn't redone by hand, it's just AI upscaled. The music is horrendously remixed.
Why they didn't renew cut content is beyond me, they seemed to have no problem and got insanely high praise universally for doing it with RoSa2 and SaGa Frontier.

Any physical Chads place their order yet?

Attached: 20220405_210158.jpg (978x899, 299.27K)

>Chads
>buying lazy cash grabs like this

wonder what the inside and back cover look like

SaGa still has the original director there and he seems to have enough pull to ensure the remakes of his games aren't butchered to shit. Unfortunately Final Fantasy and Chrono have no such defenders at Square.

Both of these look horrific. It never looked that bad back in the day.

It's about what happened to Schala after her disappearance. And involves Lavos and the Reptites.

Yes its kino

Go in without playing Trigger just for a fresh mind, but even trigger stuff aside, I did not enjoy cross at all