Does a way to make turn based combat more enjoyable for modern audience even exist?

Does a way to make turn based combat more enjoyable for modern audience even exist?

Attached: 1554065041553.webm (640x360, 2.29M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iWqylQcA6aQ#t=7m46s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Do what they did in the Remake, and then have everyone hate it.

Divinity original sin 2 has better combat than most real time combat games.

ff7 isn't turn based you rube

Since you obviously haven't played pic related, 7 is not turn based. It is atb. But, as I said, you, in classic Yea Forums form, have not played the game. Have a great day fren.

Paper Mario had it figured out in the N64 era

only idiots hate the combat in remake its basically by far one of the best combat systems in gaming.. to those that actually get it that is...

>only idiots hate the combat
Said the actual idiot, a retard version of kingdom farts in a retard version of ff7.
>one of the best
Yeah that's why it is universally panned along with ff15 which also did the whole "kh but far worse and clunkier" bit

Attached: 1649019656887.png (638x576, 53.66K)

How about actually requiring STRATEGY to win? How about stats actually mattering outside of combat affecting story, how you interact with the world, who or what you CAN interact with, etc. Different builds completely changing how you play the character. How about actually making it a legit roleplaying game, something JRPGs never do?

you still wait for your character's turn to act and enemies also wait for theirs, it is effectively a turn based game
keep coping

Zoomers are shit and should never be catered to

big plans today, user? or another 10 hours of this?

Oh, little zoomzooms. Even when confronted with facts, you scream and piss yourselves claiming to be right. Stop watching YouTubers and play the fucking game.

>Dodge is completely useless except for that Deadly Dodge Materia which adds another attack to the end of it, which could be better served giving you another elemental attack or buff. It's actually faster to just walk. This is to encourage you to guard, which is way less satisfying
>Most enemy attacks are poorly telegraphed leading to confusion as to why you were hit in the first place.
>Air combat is godawful and should be removed from the game
>AP/Limit is not tracked between fights, forcing you to start from scratch for every encounter
And finally
>No hit encounters/boss fights require the use of a high level Barrier spell to tank hits, AKA there isn't actually a way to avoid all damage in an action game, AKA dogshit

Remake combat is fun when you're firing on all cylinders constantly switching between characters, but especially on Hard mode the cracks start to show.

Enemies don't wait for your turn in ATB unless you put it to wait mode, that's the whole point.
And even with wait mode it's not actual turn based, by that logic a character action game is also turn based, just super fast turns.

>more enjoyable for modern audience
So you mean retarded.

FF7R was never a full on action game. It's often more RPG than action game except for super bosses.
Kingdom Hearts is the game that's like 90% action game 10% rpg mechanics.

The devs knew and know that they have to make turn based/ATB system as basic as possible and let you spam attack through 90% of the game, because the fanbase are retards who think that even using potions or healing requries 300IQ.
They will just critical path the story and never touch the games again.
It's also the reason why most games these days barely have any endgame or postgame or optional content anymore because they know it's a waste of hundreds of hours of dev time.

I'm starting to think YOU didn't play the game if you truly think ATB games play any different than regular turn based games
Enemies still wait for THEIR turns which makes it turn based

They do play differently. 100% turn based lets you see your and the enemies turn and how your attack, magic, skill etc. influences their turn like delaying their or pushing yours forward.
Again unelss you put it into wait mode, which ruins the whole point of ATB, the enemy will just keep attacking and attacking if you don't input anything.

>not showing the entire fight

You are a coward, Barry. Fitting for someone who thinks this is good combat.

Attached: Balan Wonderworld.webm (640x360, 2.66M)

I give up. I don't care. Redefine all the words. Nothing means anything anymore. Enjoy your undefined existence. I'm so happy I'll be dead before the true horror you zooms have happily swallowed comes into existence. Be glad you will never know truth.

>>Dodge is completely useless except for that Deadly Dodge Materia which adds another attack to the end of it, which could be better served giving you another elemental attack or buff. It's actually faster to just walk. This is to encourage you to guard, which is way less satisfying
>>Most enemy attacks are poorly telegraphed leading to confusion as to why you were hit in the first place.
People put far too much stock in the dodging mechanic as an action game dodge when it's really not. Deadly Dodge is pointless, yes, but the game is still a JRPG at its core and as such, taking damage is expected to happen, which is why your build, setup, and strategy matter far more than outright avoiding damage. It's really more like an MMO where you can't dodge literally everything but some attacks ARE meant to be avoided, and the dodge is a slightly more exciting augment to your ability to do that. I don't blame people for misunderstanding what the combat wants from you because of how it presents itself, but it is the primary reason why people don't end up liking it. Elements like the dodge mechanic end up tricking their brains into thinking this is meant to be more action than RPG and think they're supposed to play it like DMC or some shit.
>Air combat is godawful and should be removed from the game
I don't think it should be removed. It just needs to be adjusted to make it less of a slog for anyone other than Aerith or Barret to actually hit anything with normal attacks. I'm fine with not being able to just let Cloud float up their indefinitely but ground-based characters like him need longer attack strings before having to fall back down because it's not always worth the MP to cast a spell to bring them to the ground.
>No hit encounters/boss fights require the use of a high level Barrier spell to tank hits, AKA there isn't actually a way to avoid all damage in an action game
see my previous note about dodging

Sounds like you just want DMC.
They also already improved the aerial combat and doding/parry mechanics in the DLC.
The next part will definitely be a big jump over Part 1.
But overall it's still more of an RPG, big chunks of the game are designed to just block to take chip damage or no damage.

yeah, less ememy encounters, but their all as hard as a boss where you need to think about what you do or else youll be splattered.

FF7R did that with Materia lol.

Attached: Judgement.jpg (640x480, 193.93K)

movement, more mechanics, not 1x1 fights
its very easy actually

Undoubtedly, but it's already so good that you'd never waste time improving it before you tackle other aspects of a game.

Is on the right track with stats effecting out-of-combat choices. Throw in smaller worlds with more state variation (instead of 3 big cities, have 1 big city that, due to your actions, can change in 3 dramatic ways) and that's where you'll find most of the quality improvements. Trying to hammer away to fine tune a combat system that has had people refining it for 40 years is not the best use of ones time.

I love the original, there's a lot of room to play around with stuff.

It took me a long time but I eventaully came to really enjoy the combat in the remake too. Once you get familiar with it and competent enough to deal with the hard mode stuff in the combat simulator it really starts to shine.

I like them both for the variety. Lots of different ways to go about fights.

>Dodge is completely useless
Never beat Weiss

Just make it "cool" looking like in P5 and Yakuza like a dragon, P5 despite being a simple classic turn based still went on and sold millions so the modern audience enjoyed it, as for me i just want more challenges

Reminder that Neptunia's combat system is actually pretty good, it's just that the games usually aren't.
That being said, OP is a niggerfaggot and you don't need to do shit to keep 4 fags in a row popular, Persona/SMT, DQ, Pokemon, etc are more than enough evidence of that.

play more JRPGS

>Yakuza like a dragon
I'm a gigantic jrpg autist and y7 is not a good turn based game, and it's not even that good looking either, rggs was just looking for anything because of how garbage their new engine was for combat.
Hopefully they improve upon it but the first outing wasn't the best, even if you ignore some of the more questionable balance stuff you still get stuff where there's like 1 ice spell in the game and it's separate from the main "mage", and how lightning spells work.

no thanks jarpigs all play the same

That ring was the biggest enemy in the game

That is fair, it was more of a "here is the potential" than a pure good game, just like you said i hope they expand that stuff on the sequels

And that's why it was awesome. Having to heal a character but knowing that you CAN fuck it up and waste your turn.

Oh yeah bro, trails plays just like SMT, FE plays just like DQ and so on

I said Deadly Dodge, idiot. The fact that that's all you quoted also tells me you didn't even read the full post seeing as how I clearly outline that dodging, while important, isn't intended to get you out of ever taking damage. It's a circumstantial tool.

I hope they do too, but they (finally, after like 5 games) made DE combat not terrible in lost judgment, so either way's not terrible I guess.

You post starts, with "Dodge is completely useless" Which is wrong.

Which is why I retorted with that fact that you've never beaten Weiss. Because you can't beat him without dodging, which completely gets you out of damage.

take a look at this and say dodge is useless
youtube.com/watch?v=iWqylQcA6aQ#t=7m46s

Are you new here? Do you not know how quoting posts works? I did not say dodge was useless. The post I quoted did. Holy fuck, dude.

>People put far too much stock in the dodging mechanic as an action game dodge when it's really not. Deadly Dodge is pointless, yes
>Elements like the dodge mechanic end up tricking their brains into thinking this is meant to be more action than RPG and think they're supposed to play it like DMC or some shit.
not even that fag but you said it multiple times in your post

Yeah I quoted your post incorretly first, then deleted it and quoted the correct post. Read up.

Allow very very fast animation

I never deleted my post, moron. I responded to the guy who first claimed it was useless. Jesus christ you are stupid.

Read my whole post. I only said Deadly Dodge was pointless. The rest of my post stated how you are not meant to dodge everything, but rather it follows MMO rules where some things HAVE to be avoided and the dodge exists for that purpose. You really have no fucking reading comprehension.

Attached: 1395566367418.jpg (145x159, 10.34K)

I said I deleted my post. Dude. cmon, get with the program.

who's barry?

Never cater to "modern audiences".
Keep those plebs out at all costs. Just look at what happened to Souls games.

I'll admit that I fucked that up. That's on me. My point, however, still stands and I never said dodging was useless and my original post clearly explains that. If you want to argue with the one who DID say it was useless, argue with

No probs, multiple wires were crossed.

But we can all agree that dodging is not useless. And by extension, neither is deadly dodge, as it only adds more to dodging. And further on from that adding parry materia into the mix turbo charges it all.

The combat is very nice once you get competent at it.

It is sad because it is great but people really just want every action game to play the same
Just to see people complaining dodge isnt an iframe fest to avoid everything is sad

I really liked how they blended the action elements with ATB, I felt like I was just playing a modern version of FF7.

while i have no stake in this argument i did think it was funny that in a post after confusion over deleted messages, you messed up the message twice and deleted

>Yeah that's why it is universally panned
what shit are you smoking
it's not perfect or anything but the combat system of 7r is by far the best part of the game, if squeenix is never going to let go of their obsession with FF being an ARPG there are thousands of avenues that are much worse, a good few they've already tried in the past too

Horrible business advice. This is why you'll never find an alt-right incel in the industry

Oh for sure. Once you actually understand what the game wants from you, combat gets way more fun and feels like a very natural evolution of turn based JRPGs that puts the player in a more active role than just picking from menus but not so active that it becomes pure action. It's a healthy balance of the two that actually rewards strategy and setups, punishes mistakes. You have to be thinking about what you're doing at all times in every encounter and it doesn't let you just mindlessly spam the best spells over and over like most JRPGs from the era of the original, and even the bulk of the original too. Aside from the weapon superboss fights, most of the original was kind of brain-dead and good setups only made things easier rather than being an actual requirement.

Massive early morning brain fart is my only excuse.

It was called Paper Mario but Nintendo hated it for some reason

Yup, and here I am trying to explain to people here why it's actually very good, when early on I thought it was a bit of a clusterfuck. I'm not generally a fan of tank control, conteroller cam action games so it required quite a bit of persistence from me.