Lets have a serious discussion about fighting games becoming free to play. I support it...

Lets have a serious discussion about fighting games becoming free to play. I support it. What else does a fighting game offer other than a training mode, story mode and online play? Fighting games quite frankly don't offer that much. I fucking support fighting games becoming free to play it would be stupid otherwise.

in b4 twitter screencap post about this vidya topic or fuck off.

Vote. strawpoll.me/46016648/r

Attached: file.png (587x875, 481.94K)

they need to be free. Ideally they were like a quarter and you would play at an arcade. no one wants to drop $60 for a game with a fleeting playerbase that dips 5 minutes after the game is released. Especially when people are gonna say "you gotta learn tha game first" "you gotta practice"

F2P is the last thing the genre needs. SFV did it best, play the game you get the gameplay shit for free, the rest of the game has standard DLC practices, F2P comes with baggage and worse shit than just expensive costumes.

>but F2P makes it appeal to more people!
This is a bad thing.

No it's not. More people = more competition. That simple.

Based

>Ideally they were like a quarter and you would play at an arcade
Ah yes, such a winning business model that has never been tried before

Attached: file.png (920x1218, 573.12K)

>No it's not. More people = more competition. That simple.
it's not that simple actually, the quality of people coming in will be as shit or lower than what the inflated eSports scene brought in. That being said im not sticking around to argue the point, I don't give a shit enough about the scene, modern audience, or even the topic enough to do so, and as long as games that are entertaining and deep continue to come out ill play them, if they stop being so ill play the old shit, either with my small group of 10 or so friends, or online with the niche groups that form around the old, but good, games, as that is a more valuable experience than running from F2P to F2P games like Brawlhalla with the wider modern audience. Enjoy your shit thread, faggot.

A black asking for free gibs. Not surprising. The fact is, many fighting games suck and are basically the exact same copy and paste thing since like...the 90's arcade days. There are many other reasons they aren't popular like the lack of content, the ridiculous DLC and season pass garbage, huge learning curve and PvP competitiveness, and so much more. That Twitter negro brings up Brawlhalla, but it's literally just a poor mans rip off of Super Smash Bros (one of the most popular fighters and for good reason). Brawlhalla is more like a lucky exception than anything.

You know what I'm saying is all true.

Attached: Willy.jpg (800x450, 38.08K)

Brawhalla isnt a fighting game though.

>i will keep playing the same reskins of 90s arcade games. if all else fails i will go back to playing the original 90s arcade games. i dont even care about you or this thread i just had to come here to complain

>we need free AND good
Lol blacks, you would think this dude making a career talking about fighting games should understand why brawlhalla is able to be free using programmer art

It's easy to prove Woolie's bullshit wrong.
I wouldn't play fighting games even if somebody paid me to play them.
Woolie is a complete retard. People shell out hundreds of bucks for all kinds of games, but the price point is an issue for fighting games? If you want to play fighting games, you will pay for them like you do for any other game. But you see, people don't want to play fighting games. Period. The appeal of the genre is fucking low and only relevant for autists, and this will not change. If you have a group of friends that's larger than 1 person, why the fuck would I pick Street Fighter over something like I don't fucking know, Mario Party?

Attached: 1332666298918.jpg (600x450, 181.93K)

>standard dlc practices
Honestly sad it's like that. Sell costumes out the ass like you're trying to out-do koei-tecmo, sure, but gating characters behind money was, is, and always will be a garbage practice for fighters.

Try harder please.

Doesn't Tekken have a free game mode? Nobody even plays it

Woolie is such a retard, people don't play fighting games religiously because it takes a certain level of autism or cuckoldry to keep losing to one dude who knows all the mechanics of the game you aren't going to become better at fighting games losing

Project L will unironically save fighting games as a whole and Yea Forums will hate it

>F2P
>Lowered entry barrier while keeping a high skill ceiling
>Based off established IP to bring in large audience Day 1
>Rollback Netcode

My one worry is if it'll have crossplay support, I think it will but I don't feel like it's guaranteed yet.

So how does that kusoge make money then?

How would they monetise a f2p fighting game though? Like if Tekken or Street Fighter launched as f2p. Costumes and characters? Would that make up for the loss in initial transaction? They’ve already got us buying the games for full price and then buying multiple season passes.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with fucking MaxDood over Jiyuna. There's tons of reasons fighting games are dying, but one of the important ones is no playerbases for most of them, and another is no one wants to pay 60$ plus tax plus tip plus another 30$ for a season pass a week later. Half of the Steam top 10 is F2P, and most of the rest is games that are supercheap. Pretending full priced fighting games are fine is an absolute joke, people only play 2-3 characters and we have to grind shit out (SF5, Tekken 7) anyways. League fighter is gonna fucking shit on every fighter with ease because it'll be free with a big playerbase, end of discussion. Lmao at paying 70$ for SF6 or Tekken 8 with 12 characters and three season passes already planned.

Attached: 1648483552845.png (490x416, 184.12K)

You can easily make comparisons to other genres too that are as complex. Take MOBA for example. You need a ton of autism if you want to be good at them. All the big ones are pay2play in some regard. Nobody cares because people *want to play them* in the first place. Same with MMO. Same with every other big multiplayer thing. But apparently the same thing doesn't apply to fighting games? Instead of arriving to the logical conclusion of "I guess not everybody is into fighting games" Woolie and his retarded friends come up with the dumbest cope possible "yeah they would play them if they were for free". Yeah, for a fucking week maybe until they go back playing games they actually enjoy.

And this is coming from the same retard that complains about Capcom expecting big sales for DMC which they will never get because the people that care about those games already buy those games, the upper limit has been reached, it doesn't matter how much money and bells and whistles you attach to it. It's the same exact argument here but Woolie doesn't understand it.

Attached: 1328038299432.png (388x315, 14.6K)

You know even the League fighter is going to have to make its money back somehow. Interesting to see how many microtransactions it ends up with.

Selling characters they'll just do the exact same thing they do with their base game of rotating free characters and buying to keep them, it'll eventually cost more than a $60 game plus +30 season pass

Threadly reminder jiyuna is NOT white

>but one of the important ones is no playerbases for most of them
Because they fuck up at the beginning with controversy, roster choice, poor marketing etc
It has nothing to do with being $##

Is he arguing that making fighting games free would allow more kids without credit cards to play? And that’s a good thing?

>it'll eventually cost more than a $60 game plus +30 season pass
small price to pay for that sweet sweet free to play playerbase bro, that's all that matters!

Can we stop pretending that the fighting game genre is dying or that it's limping by? It's always going to be a niche genre and I'd like it to stay that way.
I want complex pretzel motions. I want big tiddy anime looking bitches. I want anime ass designs ala GG or KOF, or freaks like in SF. I am perfectly fine with paying 40-60 on launch and paying for season passes.

I'm tired of pretending that casuals will ever care to put more than an hour of playing a fighter ever. They don't care. Only we care. Stop trying to include vegans at an all you can eat steak house.

Attached: 1478569966470.gif (274x249, 214.34K)

You are absolutely wrong on so many levels. And that's such a broad statement. Sure, SFV struggled but there's been a ton of great games like DBFZ but the playerbase is just simply poor.

Yes that's over a long period of time and that's if you played every single character. And again those are optional. You're not required to buy the entire fucking store.

if they were free it would be nice in trying to get people to play, but how will companies justify in trying the f2p model? it would seem to risky....and can they even afford it?
riot is pretty big from league right? they got big bucks to afford a f2p fightan that also looks/plays decent

Killer Instinct 2013 already did the free to play model as a traditional fighter, and did it well. Each season of 8 characters started at $20.

HOLY FUCKING BASED!!!!

Attached: flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u2.jpg (750x1000, 80.35K)

>Can we stop pretending that the fighting game genre is dying or that it's limping by? It's always going to be a niche genre and I'd like it to stay that way.
naw you dont get it, if there aren't 50,000 people playing when I look at steam charts the game is dead.

I am a shitter, but I like fighting games starting with a small rooster and then adding. So people can get familiar. Imagine beeing a full newbie (like me), start sfv:champion and have 30 people to choose, learn and understand.
On the same hand one press combos are good for beginners.

Also honest question why did 3d fighters never take off? I honestly think that many problems about accessibility could get solved. I mean look at dark souls, their online pvp is basically a fighting game.

because they're 1on1. there's a reason why smash is successful and it's not just the brand recognition

i like the implication of making it F2P or simplified inputs will somehow make causals stick around for more than 3 matches when they get their asses kicked.

Attached: 1460412246737s.jpg (125x111, 2.27K)

Bombergirl's issue is like triple compounded given it's account based, slow unlock after each match, AND like fucking a buck for a single match. Super Bomberman R Online's not much better mind, but at least matches are free, but it's still suffers from the fact that I'll have to do 100 matches to get a drop that I want and not yet another repeat even thought the pool is 10,000 images worth, but 9000 of those are 'Rare' and the other 1000 are set up to be forced on you endlessly. Fuck gatcha arcade games, fuck F2P fighters, and just fuck games as a service.

Anyone remember Rumble Fighter?

But souls is also 1vs1 (if you play comp) and people love it.
I don‘t want a pvp souls game, just saying that demand can be there

>why did 3d fighters never take off?
What do you mean by take off? Tekken has been very popular. You even had Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez talking about how they used to play Tehken.

Souls is a single player game that has a multiplayer feature. Stop conflating completely different things with each other. Fighting games are multiplayer focused. Souls isn't. You can play Souls for hundreds of hours without ever playing with anyone else. Have fun doing that with you fighting game.

this mentality is insane. im very curious to see what ends up happening with Project L hits and it brings back the single button inputs that Rising Thunder had, idk much about how attached people are to the league setting/characters, but I don't think it will pull in league numbers regardless.

Talking more about arena fighters my bad. Like tenkaiichi, the naruto games or the demon slayer.
That‘s why I exactly said I don‘t want a souls pvp. I am saying there is a demand for a 3d arena fighting game.

I'm a black guy I know what am I doing here? who loves fighting games. Listen, fighting games shouldn't go free to play en masse. That's stupid and would drag the genre down considerably more than it already has been and open the door for even more shitty practices. There's so much more that justifies a price tag than just having the option to play it. Brawlhalla is popular not because it's free but because it's so good it doesn't even need a campaign. That's the reason why others aren't as appealing, because they aren't interesting enough and ask too much from the player. Every other fighter is plagued by this consumer model that turns people away by prioritizing paid DLC and leaving the core game middling with nothing to keep playing for. Season passes need to die. Type Lumina sucks. Strive tries way too hard and is filled with questionable design decisions. I have hope for DnF Duel because it clearly has enough thought put into it to warrant playing, I want to support that shit. Moreover, we finally get a collection featuring unreleased Darkstalkers titles on the way and they start peddling this shit? Do they want them to stop completely? Max should have stuck to campaigning a MvC2 rerelease because this shit makes no sense.

Fantasy Strike is a super casual super simplified input command fighting game with crossplay but the game fucking sucks with a stupid fucking developer. There's no appeal at all. But with Riot and using the LoL IP I'm sure it will take off pretty easily. They made a CS:GO clone and it's doing very well so we'll see what happens with Project L.

Attached: file.png (1920x1080, 2.34M)

>DBFZ but the playerbase is just simply poor
Was initially popular because of Dragonball not because of the gameplay
Not comparable to actual fighting games

>Talking more about arena fighters my bad
because they are essentially party games, so core fighting fans fall off quick and casuals don't stick around because of the competitive pressure left over. it's actually a good example of why going after the larger casual audience doesn't work.

yeah it was actually fun unlike traditional fighting games

>Have fun doing that with you fighting game.
The thing is I did, back in the PS1 era where they had to invent extra stuff because the systems didn't have the RAM for all of the sprites in a match to be loaded, but had CD's able to hold 600MB of data and needed to do something with that empty space beyond dumping a 20MB ROM on it. If anything over time they just stopped doing stuff like this. Blazblue was one of the last ones I can recall with something in depth, and DBFZ with something trying to offer a longer term single player option, even if it just drags on because it does little to break things up.

Attached: Street_Fighter_Alpha_3_PlayStation_World_Tour_Setup_Screen.png (250x175, 79.21K)

But why? I mean what would they need to do, to not be a party game.

>Rumble Fighter
I thought you were talking about Pocket Rumble. That game is fucking good but too bad they abandoned it.

Yeah but it was pay2win as in can possibly be.

Shut up and learn to mindgame. You're an embarrassment, and the reason we're stuck with just Tekkek 7 and Discord Over All 5.

That and on top of that you can still find matches of any rank on Xbox/W10 because newbs still come across the game and veterans play it to stay on top of practice and get stars.

Attached: fugbot.jpg (500x580, 69.71K)

I can't name a single f2p game where I was okay with how they handled monetization, there was always some bullshit excuse for it.

there would need to be a degree of depth added. Most have 2 or 3 attack buttons with some predetermined 'combos' built in, and a handful of special moves that normally can't be used in tandem with other moves. the most extreme example of a lack of depth is probably Eyes of Heaven, and the best example of trying something different/adding depth would be the Dissidia games.

>why did 3d fighters never take off?
>I am saying there is a demand for a 3d arena fighting game.
Lack of depth
Too easily exploitive strategies
Lack of counterplay
Unbalanced roster
Etc.

Alot of kusoge are much more functional than all 3d arena fighters, no one knows how to make a functional 3d arena fighter

fgc is already a bad community, if the f2p crowd joined I would probably stop playing fightan

And if you want to play a "fighting game" there is always Smash and, if you don't have Nintendo console, Lethal League.

>fightan
ESL kun do you mean fighting games?

>pay $70 plus tip for a barebones game that only has VS and training modes
>Bigger than average 11 character roster where you will only use 2 characters anyway
>Expected to buy the 3 season passes, $30 a piece
>Stop playing after a month because playerbase already crattered
>Move onto the next fightan
Living the life

yes, tourist

Is nobody ever going to address the fact that fighting games inherently have no casual appeal?
You can be a god at most competitive games but you're still able to play for hours and just enjoy it on a casual level, maybe even just dick around with friends or random people online.
It's impossible to do with a fighting game since it's all 1v1 with a completely rigid setup.

Speak proper english.

For Honor is pretty popular still man after many years and the community is good. Not all genres are popular. Pretty much every genre other than FPS or battle royale is a niche genre.

>you aren't going to become better at fighting games losing
Genuinely stupid opinion.

>And if you want to play a "fighting game" there is always Smash
Funny enough, Smash’s popularity helps prove why fighting games are never going to be desirable to casuals and a wider audience: content. Outside of Evo pedos, nobody plays Smash because they want a 1v1 on training stage with no gimmicks, items, or crazy organic moments that would come out of hazards or randomness. People like to play Smash because they want to make fun memories. Fighting games are literally two dudes on a flat stage trying to apply the 100+ hours of muscle memory they got from labbing.

No sane person fucking wants that, and if you make fighting games F2P where you can’t unlock the cool stuff and have to buy it all from MTX, nobody is going to touch your genre.

I think f2p fighting games is a good idea. But how would they make money? And I mean besides selling costumes/outfits/characters. There has to be some way for them to make money outside of that because having to buy characters potentially makes the game p2w and it'll get dropped by the playerbase like a turd.

don't engage with a community you dont know the lingo for, you faggot secondary

Whatever bitch at least I got a life.

best post itt

Attached: 458161257e8ee194feebcb3ec1ccb733.png (1000x1500, 1.18M)