It's been over 10 years

Don't you think it's time for another play-through?

youtube.com/watch?v=ptzCN_u9xfM

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 68.69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4
youtu.be/flcmQFXIqLQ
youtu.be/zRYgA3dNwCE
youtu.be/RloOmcpqye8
youtube.com/watch?v=FiryjP_EeAU
youtu.be/vw3N7QH3z88
youtu.be/TEtRBa-mVEQ
youtu.be/2yioAyajJoU
youtu.be/EsXGDHcbW1o
youtube.com/watch?v=LjFKWmKxKRM
youtube.com/watch?v=hx3IBjE1rQc
youtube.com/watch?v=_ilvPMyDmPc
youtube.com/watch?v=gbPKNUobuu0
youtube.com/watch?v=6VcqE4HT42c
youtube.com/watch?v=uncwKFZflS0
youtube.com/watch?v=11UM05scyEM&ab_channel=SpinalZero
youtube.com/watch?v=RmmwjWnRYgo
youtube.com/watch?v=V5ZJ5VnNMF4
youtu.be/Vq_QGAAUbzE
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I've already beaten it twice. I can't stomach another playthrough, the second one made me see all the flaws in the first 20 hours.

I'd rather rip my dick off and throw it in the river

I haven't played it yet, and I plan to since the only critique I see is that it is a hallway. I don't play JRPG's for exploration, so to me it is a nonissue.

Nah I’m marathoning the series. Need to start up 7 soon. 13 can wait. Never did play 9 or 12, so those come first….

i would if the music and voices weren't so fucking low on PC, literally can't hear anything over the sounds

>pre gook flu i would pirate all the symphonies from various games
>still dont know much about 13s music
>they had 3 games

how was the music?

You still don’t fully understand the implications of those critiques. Lol
Those critiques were made by people who felt something wrong on an aesthetic and almost spiritual level, but were unable to articulate it because to do so requires the discipline and fortitude of a monk to explain the spiritual decay that occurred here.

In other words, you’re in for a grueling torture session and you won’t even know why it hurts.

Play Claire's game. NOW!

Attached: 1644297563647.png (1024x576, 974.04K)

It was my first FF and I liked the production value and Fang

It was ahead of its time, see FF7R

youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4
metal as fuck

Music was the best part along with graphics. A lot of people praise the soundtrack for Blue Reflection saying it’s the only good part about that game, but they don’t realize it’s a direct ripoff of ff13’s music.

Blinded by Light is one of the best FF tracks.

Pretty much the best to come out of the trilogy

Played it again last year, best FF game by long shot

No one will admit it but the game is actually made worse at Granpulse segment because they decide to "open" the game up, but it ends up being shallow. It would have been better if they committed to the hallways formula. Basically open up the battle mechanics sooner instead of the map sized that have nothing in them.

storyline is shit
the universe/setting is shit (every game recreates the final fantasy mythos and setting, no need to make a big deal of it and call it fabula nova crystallis)
the writing is shit even compared to the most poorly translated final fantasies
the combat isn't fun or unique, and it gates you from many parts of it for like the first 25 hours of the fucking game (25 hour tutorial ain't cool)
the characters are shit and I actively wish all of them died

like obviously music is going to be neat and some of the cutscenes are still cool (I still remember a critique of "please don't turn my god into a motorcycle" to this day) but damn they fucked up bad

Attached: 1648585329525.jpg (1920x1080, 262.08K)

It's not a bad game, just painfully mediocre and Final Fantasy's fall from grace. You have to understand that it was one of the most hyped releases for the 360/PS3 generation so people went in with high expectations.

The soundtracks are fucking incredible across all 3 games. These are my personal favourites:
youtu.be/flcmQFXIqLQ
youtu.be/zRYgA3dNwCE
youtu.be/RloOmcpqye8

wasn't this the game that played itself and dumped all the fucking world building in a fucking built in wikipedia instead of creating the story in a way that actually built the world for you as you went like shit like every other final fantasy did before it

i don't think i ever fucking got past an hour or two of this one.

>characters are shit, worst party in the whole series (Sazh is cool though)
>story is shit and gets worse as the games go by
>combat is shit and remains shit no matter what point in the game you're at. Paradigms aren't as deep as 13fags think they are
>hallways meme in actually true, even the optional paths for a chest are so short you can usually see where they end on the mini map when you get to the fork in the road
>no towns, no minigames, no sidequests that aren't hunts for recolored enemies, no NPCs

I'm literally playing it right now. Thinking about starting speedrunning it.

The first cutscene is throwing out l'cie and fal'cie like I'm supposed to know what the fuck they're talking about. If you don't just read the logs you'll eventually figure it out but it's still retarded

I'm thinking about Lightning's pits again...

the environments in these games are gorgeous. XIII-2 especially has a lot of great locations. Sometimes I just slowly walk through them so I can take it all in

Attached: FFXIII13.jpg (3840x2160, 2.54M)

I feel bad for RPG fans as a whole during that era. I've seen a handful of people who bought one most for FF and KH and the two FF titles ended up being a disappointment, and they didn't even get a KH game. Still dumb to buy a console because you assume a franchise will continue churning out games like they have been, but I still feel bad.

>Dust to Dust
Absolutely based. Oerba is probably one of the only places in XIII that made me feel anything.

Can I see her tits.

This game was so close to being amazing... It's depressing to think about because we will never get another turn based final fantasy.

youtube.com/watch?v=FiryjP_EeAU
bros....

NO!!

Attached: 1633228939035.gif (500x237, 498.92K)

Kingdom Hearts is fucking garbage, so who cares what they think. I think XIII was an abortion, but I have to give it praise for killing any desire for me wanting to get a "next-gen" console at the time if this is the shit they were churning out.

Atlus took massive advantage of this by putting out games that would make people realize that the hardware didn't matter if you wanted a good RPG experience. The PS2, PSP, Vita and 3DS had more quality JRPGs than anything ever released on the PS360.

>This thread again
Blog time, I recently replayed this, to try and formulate my thoughts on exactly why its not a bad game, but its definitely not good. Let's start with the big ones:
>Pacing
The game is supposed to take place over a really, really short amount of time, just a couple of days. But the entire thing just seems to drag on and on. The tutorial (if you waste the time watching cutscenes and reading what it tells you) takes fucking forever, for no reason. Hell, the game is already 2/3rds of the way finished by the time your entire party is finally assembled. The story itself was solid, one of the better ones, but the pacing absolutely kills any enjoyment.
>HALLWAYS
The hallways weren't horrible. What made them bad was there was never any moments during the hallways to actually explore and learn about the world. The closest we got was Nautilus and Gran Pulse, one of which was a pit stop and the other was better off being left out of the game. If they had committed completely to hallways, but had multiple routes or larger, open sections to explore in the halls, it would've been perfectly fine.
>Characters
Overall, the characters were fine. They each had distinct personalities, growth over the game, and they made you feel different things. Hope was a whiny little brat, and you fucking felt that. Vanille was grating and fake, and that played exactly into who and what she really was. There's no true main character, as much as they tried to push Lightning. Each was involved, and had a role to play.

This dude made a great cover of it. Maybe even better than the original
youtu.be/vw3N7QH3z88

yeah. it was like they threw you into the middle of the game rather than the beginning. i mean fuck me all i wanted was a god damn intro movie that may have explained the two MOST IMPORTANT FUCKING TERMS you immediately get met with but nope, whole cutscene happens, they're throwing out new terminology and THEN, they hit you with the wiki. fuck all that.

and then i was bored to death by the "combat" basically being "hit this one button to "paradigm shift" and then the game continues to play itself. i think i got to the part where snow fights the shiva bike sisters and then just could not fucking focus anymore.

Versus XIII

I intentionally never used the auto command and it was more fun that way.

dust to dust is really good. thx.

Still one of my favorite FFs. The music and art direction are amazing. I love the paradigm system and even though it's simple it feels good every time to do a proper atb refresh with paradigm shifting. I'm not a fan of hope so his segments annoy me but I love the rest of the cast. I still remember how happy I was all those years ago when I first landed in the sunleth waterscape and the music started playing.

>Combat
This shit was bad. The idea was good, having the subclasses and swapping configurations as needed. But it was implemented like complete garbage, with hidden mechanics that absolutely make/break the combat system. Did you know there's instant class resets? Or your first Shift is always animation locked? Game doesn't tell you, and it makes a massive difference to know. Definitely giving it props for making Debuffs actually good and valuable, though, and their take on the Summon system was actually solid.
>Enemies
Enemy variety was fantastic, honestly. You do see a lot of reskins, but, it never really felt like you were fighting the same things over and over. Antagonist characters were mostly underutilized, though. Barth-boi was definitely one of my favorite villains.
>That final "level"
Fuck that. That entire space/time distortion shit you have to go through to reach Orphan was pure aids, and had no fucking place in the game. It's like FF13 went their entire way, hit the end, and suddenly remembered they were a FF game and HAD to put in a bullshit zone with a semi-boss rush. Delete that part, and the game would be a solid 6-7/10, but its existence alone drops it to a flat 5.

Overall, the game was a lot of decent-to-good ideas, that were poorly implemented. Hallways couldve worked, but they did it wrong. Paradigms wouldve been fine, but they made them awkward and stupid. Story was fine, just paced like shit. Characters were honestly really fucking good, but they're trapped in a mediocre game. It's not bad, and its nowhere near the worst FF, but it's not a "good" game.

youtu.be/TEtRBa-mVEQ
youtu.be/2yioAyajJoU
youtu.be/EsXGDHcbW1o

Damn that's actually really good.

Attached: 1631764283780.jpg (1554x2048, 379.91K)

youtube.com/watch?v=LjFKWmKxKRM
youtube.com/watch?v=hx3IBjE1rQc
youtube.com/watch?v=_ilvPMyDmPc
youtube.com/watch?v=gbPKNUobuu0
youtube.com/watch?v=6VcqE4HT42c
youtube.com/watch?v=uncwKFZflS0

Attached: 1637706221572.jpg (354x286, 25.1K)

>It's been over 10 years
and it still fucking sucks.

>WHEN INTANGIBLENESS IS MIXING
>WITH VOLATILITY
>THE PROTAGONIST IN ME
>WITHIN ME

Attached: 1621946705185.jpg (311x361, 14.48K)

>New Bodhum
>Village and Void
Hell yeah

Attached: 4879D5B41CC648C59F888418BC9D02F7.gif (320x294, 1.7M)

The good thing about this game, probably the only thing, was the change to how MP works. I kind of like it, having to rely on ethers gimped a lot of early game magic users in previous titles unless you grinded a bit.

The same composer, Mizuta, did Jack's game too. Go grab the soundtrack because it's some of his best work.

Attached: 1648722942273.webm (640x360, 1.16M)

I'll never forgive dipshit gamers for having a heart attack over towns and corridors, XIII was max soul and a passion project

Based

Yusnaan has to be the greatest location in the game. The atmosphere is simply incredible.

youtube.com/watch?v=11UM05scyEM&ab_channel=SpinalZero

Attached: 181.png (1000x1659, 1.37M)

lmao

youtube.com/watch?v=RmmwjWnRYgo
youtube.com/watch?v=V5ZJ5VnNMF4

Attached: that wrog.png (953x712, 267.31K)

this. it's a flawed game but so is every other FF except VII.

So memory of machina is supposed to be a remix of ronka ruins from FFV right? I don't hear it.

>posting the inferior version

Attached: 1645482147932.png (1000x1659, 1.45M)

I don't think it's a direct remix like the other dungeons but just samples some pieces.

It honestly took me until the Evil Forest remix to realize that there were remixes at all. Like I heard the crystal tower one but my dumbass brain didn't connect the dots

Needs a 3ds or switch port

I’m not playing the game that killed final fantasy lmao fuck you /spit

The FF13 trilogy gave us the greatest antagonist in the whole series: Caius Ballad. Not only is he technically unbeaten and managed to achieve his goal, he also has the best theme of them all. He's truly a force of nature.

youtu.be/Vq_QGAAUbzE

Attached: 1648749712158.jpg (1280x2160, 315.15K)

Lol
Lmao even

At least we got Lost Odyssey.

Versus XIII

Attached: 2279371-finalfantasyversusxiii_91029_screen.jpg (1024x576, 85.8K)

if the linearity was only on the hallways it would be ok (ff10 pulled it off anyway). The problem is that everything is linear and the game doesn't let you make any choice.
Your party formation is pre-determined for each section of the game, the classes you have access to are predetermined, levelling up is gated behind story completion and the game doesn't even let you play with three party members until something like 20 hours in.
The game constantly chooses everything for you, leaving you with next to no player expression left.
Only in the endgame does the battle system bloom and becomes fun, but it's not worth the slog that is the main story. Speaking of, the main story is actually pretty good when you dissect it, but then you realize that it's told in the most retarded way possible and reading the datalogs is mandatory to even figure out what the characters are talking about, on top of a second playthrough with hindsight to understand what was going really on.

Did you know Noctis used to have blond hair?

Attached: 1646823517246.jpg (943x449, 49.79K)

*pits

What’s the best version to play? I heard the steam version is fucked but this game is too pretty to play in 720p on consoles.

already played through the whole trilogy a week ago :3

I don't know what's wrong with the steam version, but you could maybe emulate PS3 and bump up the resolution.

XIII-2 is unironically a good game and the best of the trilogy and it has an absolutely FUCKED and broken PC port that crashes within the first 10 minutes of playing.

KINO

Attached: versus-xiii.jpg (630x354, 47.56K)

The combat was unforgivable. It wouldn’t have been the first FF with a bad/convoluted story. It wouldn’t have been the first highly linear FF either. It was the first one that just felt like a shitty movie game or something

That can be fixed by literally changing one setting in the exe file with the right software. There's a Steam guide for that actually. Game worked flawlessly for me after doing that, luckily I did my research before playing it.

For the original 13, you can fix most of the issues
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII
I played only with ff13fix and it was fine

The game design as a whole is a hallway, not just the world map.
There's no choice or expression, the game corrals you on a single gated path
Even the story just drags you through plot points with no rhyme or reason, the characters have no agency whatsoever, they're just reacting to the story as it happens to them in nonsensical, borderline-random intervals.

>best of the trilogy
yes
>unironically a good game
FUCK no