Steam Deck

>The Good
-Really good performance across the board
-OS-level frame rate caps and FSR
-The controls have enough inputs to guarantee most games work well
-Well integrated with Steam library
-Speakers are amazing

>The Bad
-Some fans have a distinct screeching sound that even at lower power draws is headache-inducing
-The handheld is slightly too big with a big bezel and one track pad that was unneeded
-The battery life is gone in a mere hour or two during full load and charging takes forever

Overall, it's a great handheld but is probably one year premature in the making. It needs a smaller frame with better battery life and fan sounds and it would instantly be a 10/10 machine.

Attached: steam_deck_004.0.jpg (1200x800, 125.23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/y2x1x3
youtu.be/bx2F9PZlCqY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Do people with the good fan have audible screeching when just downloading and shit? Mine does. My tower PC is completely quiet while I can hear the Deck fans across the room

Fans are a lottery right now. Devkits and some of the newer units have Delta fans which are great and some Deltas which are terrible for most likely manufacturing variations and not enough QA there. You can fix it with tape/glue or whatnot in a DIY fashion as been done with general PC building mods to try and reduce the likely coil whine from the fan but some people also have RMA'd their units which is basically rerolling your luck on the fan. I highly doubt it's an RPM problem where it makes too much noise.

Do you have a link that explains the fix in detail? I was going to RMA it actually because right now I can't imagine using the Deck with another person in the room. That would not be feasible.

>-The battery life is gone in a mere hour or two during full load and charging takes forever
Can't you just plug it into a 45w+ portable battery and play off of that?
>
Overall, it's a great handheld but is probably one year premature in the making. It needs a smaller frame with better battery life and fan sounds and it would instantly be a 10/10 machine.
If they delayed it they'd have to use rembrandt, which would guarantee even worse battery life with a smaller frame.

>out for month
>zero hype left, no one even talks about it
bros what happened...

I would just RMA it desu. Maybe wait a bit until it's publicly addressed if you want to be safe. Or you can wait and see if ifixit sells a better fan.

>Can't you just plug it into a 45w+ portable battery and play off of that?
Sure but that will be an additional charge at the very best. Steam Deck is power hungry.

>If they delayed it they'd have to use rembrandt,
Eh Van Gogh is basically Rembrandt but custom-built for Deck. Rembrandt has 8 core CPU which will just swallow more battery life so I doubt they would "have to" use it. They could just stick to the excellent Van Gogh chip, maybe push it to a smaller node which lowers power draw.

I have one and if you're hooked up to any kind of battery the actual drain reduces by a lot but you need at least 45 watt pd to charge while playing. Also that kind of battery life is only on like absolute full load. I get like 4 hours in yuzu playing pokemon brilliant diamond on a charge. Its highly dependent on what you're doing. Playing through the pc version of Chrono Trigger I was pushing 7 hours.

I would RMA it because Valve will likely honor your request and try and fix the noise problem even if most hardware companies will not do so.
The basic idea behind the fix is basically the fact that since coil whine is basically noise caused by vibrations caused from electromagnetic forces i.e. electricity like the picture I am showing, you need to reduce this somehow in a non-intrusive manner. You have things like hot glue, liquid or regular electric tape, etc. that is to eliminate or reduce this vibration altogether. Should be pretty easy to look up if you want to learn more about it.

Attached: Stator_elliptical_mode_2.gif (339x310, 593.4K)

>Sure but that will be an additional charge at the very best. Steam Deck is power hungry.
You just need to make sure it supports power delivery to charge while gaming. usbc standards are all kinds of fucked especially when it comes to power delivery since theres like 4 different types now. Like my Lenovo charger will charge my steam deck however my 65 watt samsung charger only slow charges. Less of a Valve thing and more just the nature of usbc.

Van Gogh is Zen 2, Rembrandt is Zen 3, and I also believe Van Gogh has extra binning because it can run at a lower voltage level on average than other mobile chips which are typically 15W where Van Gogh average wattage is 9W. Rembrandt has USB 4 I believe as well, which Van Gogh doesn't have.

Yeah definitely leaning on RMA'ing it. I'm just waiting for a particular article from a credible site to justify the RMA so Valve doesn't bullshit me. The fact that the coil whine is so audible even in very low power draws makes me certain it's not a RPM issue.

It's also more akin to 2 hours. I was playing EDF5 with my bros (24.5w used) and that's how long it seemed to last. It's not great but manageable. Other games can last longer. RDR2 at native res medium with the 30 cap seems to get about 3 hours, which is very impressive!

Is USB4 compatible with external GPUs? Either way, I don't think Valve should opt for a chip that uses a more resource-hungry CPU. In most cases, the limitations are on GPU and it's better the GPU is clocked as high as possible over CPU cores/clocks. So they should not go over 4 core CPU.

USB 4 is Thunderbolt 3 compatible so yes, it will work with existing external GPU solutions that use it. I think Valve will need to opt for a 8c16t part in the future, if only because needing to keep up with AAA titles in the future will be harder to do with 4c8t possibly at the tail end of this generation, and the fact that the highest end emulation will be held up by this, like a possible PS4 emulator that could pop up just to goad Sony into releasing Bloodborne on PC or something.

>Sure but that will be an additional charge at the very best. Steam Deck is power hungry.
Those portable batteries exist in the 10,000-20,000 mAh variety. I read the Steam Deck is like 8000 mAh approximately. Doubling or tripling your battery life is nothing to sneeze at.

For whatever reason I thought Rembrandt was RDNA3 so disregard that. I do think RDNA3 could have lead them to delay it even further for better specs. A big reason why the Steam Deck gained traction to begin with was because of Nintendo's failure to provide an actual mid gen hardware refresh.

streamable.com/y2x1x3

Here's what my Deck sounds like

>Dies to usb-c docks

The reality hit.
Steam machine 2.0

I'll beat the fuck out of anyone with a Steam Deck.

>sticks $5 chinkshit usb c hub into device
>it dies (not permanently)
>"WOOOOOOOOOOW"

>If you want to plug in an external display and keyboard you will have to reset the device hardware and reinstall the OS every time

>Uuuuuhhh
>NOT AN ISSUE?
>YOU DON'T NEED 60FPS
>YOU DON'T NEED MORE THAN HALF AN HOUR OF BATTERY
>WORKING AS INTENDED

Yikes, talk about post purchase rationalization

They actually patched that in the recent beta update

Just get a decent hub with decent power delivery?

youtu.be/bx2F9PZlCqY

>They'll patch it!!!!!

it was hardware made by steam, just wait in a year decks will be on sale for $5 as God intended.

It literally is patched.

It's a really good SP RTS device. Can't believe I'm playing RTS games on a handheld and it actually works.

Attached: deserts.jpg (1280x800, 201.94K)

looks fun.

What game?

Deserts of Kharak.

Gonna try AoE4 next

Cheers, checking it out.

Good review

It's fine. Anyone who thinks that a large volume of air being forced through a small area should be completely silent is a retard.

>Strive shown in first promotional pics
>is unsupported by Steam Deck

Attached: mental innit.png (286x229, 5.98K)

>not running the game anyways cause its a PC

It runs flawlessly. I think it was one stage that gave me some lag but otherwise I haven't run into issues.

>Barely even boots
>All shaders broken
>Barely 8 FPS

>runs flawlessly

I know but it's still funny to me

>The Ugly
-It’s made by known scammers who commit false advertising and fraud.

Valve screwed over the Artifact fanbase by cancelling the Artifact 2.0 beta without even allowing users to invite friends like they said they would in January 2021 and does not deserve your financial support for these gross consumer-unfriendly practices.

I just want that hardware for that price. Why should I care about valve screwing over card game faggots?

If they can scam the Artifact fanbase, they’ll scam you too. Don’t trust Scammin’ Valve.

Is there any way to install a Starstorm mod for RoR1 on Linux?

>Former Retro and Valve employee posting about playing a Retro game on a Valve handheld
Woah...

Attached: Untitled.png (611x754, 590.17K)

Half an hour battery? You wish, I can't even get 15 minutes while emulating NES Castlevanias at 15fps. Shit is retarded and so is anyone who doesn't cancel their preorder

Don't forget some Steam Decks having purple screens and wobble

Purple screen is the good one, it has almost no backlight bleed compared to the other one and looks nicer. You're getting fucked over by not getting the purple screen.

>metroid prime dev recommending steam deck
this is getting extremely based.

It would be great if the deck could emulate that game over 12 FPS.

>Expects a systems that struggles with SNES emulation to run Metroid Prime

i can play this game on a 2010 thinkpad with no stutters lol. i think you're being a salty tendie.

Cope, Q3cuck. I'm still not cancelling my reservation.

Please don't. Thanks for betatesting.

>i can play this game on a 2010 thinkpad with no stutters

Sure, but how about on the *steamdeck*?
Hm? Not so smug now, are you?
Have fun with struggling FPS even with NES.

>Spending money on a device outclassed by an almost 20 year old PSP in emulation and no ability to run PC games since it comes with Linux

>Y-YOU'RE A B-BETA TESTER!
My first unit has no issues and they'll have early production flaws resolved by the time my Q2 order comes up, cope.
Falseflagging tendie cope.

Attached: mp.png (1269x553, 609.01K)

>My first unit has no issues
Good for you, some get lucky I guess.

try to use primehack for better controls (like mouse-based gyro) if practical for you

Does the fan sound during updates? Just got mine and im worried