Well, was he right?

Well, was he right?

Attached: lindy.png (370x311, 180.07K)

spears are indeed better

I don't know. I use Skallagrim for my weapon opinions.

>lindyshit
dude has no idea what he's talking about

Fighting with others? Spear. Fighting alone? Sword.

no. swords are better

Swords are more kino.

Yes basically, unless you're all using big shields outside of formation

OK but why are spears better than halberds? What's the disadvantage of having more ways to attack?

I prefer regular milk

The results of the expiriment speak for themselves

Being able to hit your opponent before he hits you is the greatest advantage

Obviously.

Attached: silver knight spear.jpg (600x510, 149.71K)

Spear is lighter

Swords are more versatile, while spears are easier to use without training. As this user said Honestly I'd feel more comfortable with a 1 handed sword and a shield since it opens way more paths to your opponent than a spear.
But there's a jap proverb going something like
"Even a pesant with a spear can fell a samurai "

Yes and no. Spears are great for fighting at mid range and are deadly even in the hands of an untrained peasant.. Swords however require you to be within arm's length and require at least some slight training in order to be used effectively.

However on the opposite, Spears are pretty much useless close up along with the fact that unless it's something like a naginata or a glaive, you can only stab. Whereas with a sword you have multiple options, you can slash, stab, bludgeon.

Long story short. Both have their advantages depending on the situation.

A halberd is a bit unwieldy to throw or use with a shield.

Spears can slash just fine

>Longer version
>28 minutes
Fucking chud. If it's not 8 hours, I'm not watching.

You have 10 minutes to tell me why a warhammer is not the literal best medevil weapon.

spears mog the fuck out of every single weapon, though i think historically daggers drew the most blood on the various battlefields throughout history. swords were mainly used as a backup for when you spear presumably gets lodged up someone's asshole or whatever.

that being said, swords are really cool. if i have the option in a game, i always go for the sword. no exceptions

Slashing is honestly less useful than you'd think.
It's hard enough to slash through armor made of cloth or leather, let alone plate or mail.
It's also much easier to block a slash with a shield than it is to block a thrust.

so to summarize: use a spear but keep a knife just in case

Would you rather march all day carrying a big fat hammer or a pointy walking stick?

Because it needs to be heavy, so you need to be big and strong to wield it.
Also the swings would be pretty wide, leaving you open, you would also need to swing it pretty hard to damage or kill someone, while a stab or a slash can accidentally kill someone.
Warhammers would be okay against plate I guess, or if you're abig dude who gurantees a kill with every swing. Other than that sharp > blunt

you can always throw your spear and use your sidearm

ok but what if spear guy gets a shield too?

I'd say something dagger or short sword sized as a backup

Warhammers were effective yes, but they were mainly used on retreating soldiers/knights from my understanding.

Cavalry would ride forward and slam the pointy end down on the heads of retreating men.

Go full ancient Greece/Rome huh.

Bows are better than spears.

*rambles incoherently*
*uses weird terminology nobody else understands*
*is wrong*

spears are just swords with a really long handle, everything is technically a sword when you really break it down.

>arrows are just small spears which are just swords with long handles

English longbowmen were particularly deadly.

Elaborate

>all these flamboyant sword fags

Attached: 41qQuWVZr3L._SY300_QL70_.jpg (300x300, 9.46K)

But using bows require training, while average plebian that kings conscripted can use a spear without training.

There's a reason why polearms are the primary weapons while swords/daggers are the secondary/auxiliary weapons

How many people even have swords. Maybe a lot of professial men at arms of late medievam period did or more centralized Roman Empire, but think of early medieval period.

>all these flamboyant sword fags
>Post literal homo molester/molestee.

Attached: 1642594306123.jpg (282x400, 93.61K)

Short range. Difficulty against shields. Easy to lock, difficult to free. Beak slides off sloped armor and helms. Hammer head is ineffective against padding.
Does little but disorient properly armored foes. Much harder to target unarmored joints with. Less balance. Useless on horseback.
Hammers are a meme played up by fantasy games.

spears

Exactly this... depending on whether or not the Lord you were sworn to covered the weapon expense

Spears predate swords and knives predate spears
Everything is just a knife if you break it down

Wait, the warhammer I'm thinking of is probably the incorrect term. I mean like a halberd. Something like pic related expect with an axe on one of the sides instead of them both being blunt. So its a spear, axe, and blunt weapon in one.
What's the flaw besides its a little heavy.

a good sword was probably a sign of prestige and money, like how full armor was, where as any dirty peasant can make a spear.

Spears are long, even with a small shield you would loose about half of the things you COULD do. This is assuming you are fighting 1v1 and not in a formation.
You would also loose penetration power since you would be using the spear with just 1 hand.
In that kind of situation I can imagine the spear guy jost loosing his shield since it's doesn't really help much.
Formation fighting is the opposite. Shields and spear formation was the shit for a couple thousand years, then it fell out of fashion when people realized you can equip your horse with armor and make it a tank.
At the end of the day you can say it's a matter of prefrence and training really.
Just like everything in life

Forgot pic

Attached: warhammer.png (900x658, 19.23K)

weight in the wrong places.
the halbard weighs the front of the spear down which is bad when stabbing.

spears are a battlefield weapon, swords are a dueling weapon. spears punch through chainmail, swords are useless against any kind of armor.

with the same amount of metal you could have made a pick or a couple axe heads which have more piercing capability

I don't get why people glorified personal defense weapons in fictions regardless of region.
Europe/Japan
>sword/katana>spears/bows
US
>revolvers>rifles/shotguns

Aren't these thread equivalent to e-celeb threads?

imagine how the invention of the sword went down, like you just see this absolute madman wielding an oversized knife the likes that have never been seen before.

It's nearly everywhere for this kind of standard warfare getup. I still laugh at weebs for MUH 1000 FOLDED STEEL KATANA where as in reality Samurais favored spears and bows just like the Knights. Hell, they even immediately adapted muskets and arabesques in their formation the moment Portugese traders introduced them.

Attached: c68df7338f7ba6aa8d8a3a62359643b2.jpg (1280x786, 215.31K)

Lol yeah? Spears are PEAK cheese weapons in games. Range has always been over powered in games. At least in all the games I've played.

>Lindy

Attached: EB534350-FCED-418C-BF2B-79FF969F6FB7.jpg (679x282, 38.64K)

>game lets you make a sword by combining two knifes together
Epic!

What is he playing? Is it lindy?

Attached: 1649144976231.jpg (2592x1944, 1.07M)

It’s probably because most popular fiction inspired by medieval times were personal stories, not specifically about war time. That’s where you get stuff about people dueling each other with swords they carried around, or revolvers

Battlefield. He only plays Battlefield and GTA.

>Fighting with others? Spear. Fighting alone? Spear.

why do all "realistic" medieval combat games suck so much bros? Mount and blade, chivalry, mordhau, all have obtuse gimmicky ways you have to play. I'd give for honor a pass since it has moves more like a fighting game

Well yeah, but if we’re talking about fiction it doesn’t really matter unless it takes place during a war. Like a spear was objectively better to use on a battlefield but outside that people carried swords because it’s easier

What about greatsword vs spear, which is better?

It is cause of the first person perspective. Jus give me 3-dimensional combat

why dont we just make the sword into a sword pole arm?

Attached: 65 - DaxgpA5.png (1024x1024, 207.33K)

limited by control schemes, both controller and m&k. you might as well larp

A spear is just a small sword at the end of a stick

Honestly i just wish someone made a (good) Soulslike that restricted itself to realistic weapon designs and animations.
Shadiversity recently did a decent video demonstrating how you could have fairly realistic animations in a game like Elden Ring that keep the same speed and range.

Mordhau is ruined by dragging, essentially shortening attack animations to autistic spamming levels. Since you also have to time your own blocks and you can't hold right click, this turns into a gigantic shitfest that only spergs enjoy. To counter these spergs you just spam arrows until they start crying. Lost all motivation to play that garbage.

>longer version
Just like a spear!

Greatsword if you're on horseback, spear if you're on foot.

Because you cant control space.
At best you can back away and play footies, but players can just impale themselves and not not take damage because held items never have collision

Real combat wasn't Elden Ring, greatswords were mostly used on foot to break formations.

Spears are only cool if you use them in a completely retarded way no one cares which is more practical