Shining Force

Why did they shift the series to some shitty action hack/slash Diablo ripoffs?

Attached: 43792-shining-force-ii-genesis-front-cover[1].jpg (800x1083, 191.25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CAoezSQDEdU
youtube.com/watch?v=oPApCOPLmSk
twitter.com/f3PAg2NPxL7Rvtn
white-surge.secret.jp/
youtu.be/q9_3k_9NCDw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

who

They didn't know what to do with it and still don't. The last few games to have the Shining name were really low-rent standard JRPGs like the Neptunia series.

I actually quite liked Shining Force NEO and EXA, though. I got baited into getting NEO without knowing what it was, but they're both fun Gauntlet clones, which really aren't that common to begin with.

>They didn't know what to do with it and still don't
Just make more SRPGs? Did they not sell well?

>NSO killed Sega Ages before getting SF 1-3

It's not fair bros....

jesus christ the american box art was fucking horrible and misleading

Attached: 273402-shining-force-ii-genesis-front-cover[1].jpg (688x1005, 269.5K)

It was the trend at the time. Anime wouldn't take off in the west until later. A lot of the redone box art was bad, but there were some good ones.

Attached: iu.jpg (1528x2100, 716.03K)

Shining Force 2 was too good for the franchise’s sake. Neither 1 nor CD managed to hit that sweet spot.
Then Sega decided to turn the IP into “whatever goes”. Neo and Exa were great button mashing loot collectors, but had zero strategy. Shining Soul was cute and fun in its own way too.
Then we’ve had Shining Resonance trying to look like Tales, Blade Arcus as a fighting game and so on.
beats me, why can’t they try to pull off a not’Fire Emblem nowadays. no one is delivering animu SRPGs besides Square Enix, they should give it a try.

Is Shining Force 3 worth playing?

Was it fully translated yet? Does kronos run it smoothly?

absolutely, but you’d be better off taking the time looking up chapters 1-2-3 with fan translations instead of settling for the officially localized chapter 1

i don't have any sales numbers but SRPGs are not usually big-selling games. there's like one or two SRPGs per decade that reach actual mainstream sales success, and the rest are all relegated to niche territory. the genre survives mostly by the virtue of the games being inexpensive to make, since they can get away with relatively simple models and textures and don't need voice acting or a lot of unique animations.

This was a good remake...and I'm tired of pretending that it's not.

Attached: latest[1].jpg (500x492, 53.72K)

camelot left

Magic resistance is ASS. Otherwise, it's perfect.

damn i forgot about magic resist

camelot wasn’t responsible for SF2 tho
SF3 and StHA are based af but they are on their own league.

the first one is still one of my favorite games, its such a goddamn shame they had to screw around with it and change shit

Speed Racer had taken off long before than. Robotek, maybe some others too.

>Dark Dragon on the cover
Even if he's not pink like it is in the game, what a lame spoiler.

Attached: M000N.png (336x165, 13.26K)

Love the party composition in these games. Actually feels like making a high fantasy army.

Attached: Shining-Force-Characters.jpg (564x712, 722.2K)

i rented this game as a kid and couldn't get passed the first fight with those ghosts so I just roleplayed my characters life in the starting village.

It's not really much of a spoiler since literally nothing in the game even hints at it until the last 1% of the game. The game just alludes to DarkSol being the big bad.

i loved how some were basically secret and you could miss them, didnt get the hamster till my second playthrough cause i fucked something up, the evolutions were awesome too

i love the creature variety that isn't just typical tolkien shit. breath of fire was great on that too.

Speed Racer, Voltron, and Robotech were popular early, sure, but they didn't make anime itself popular. Most people at the time didn't even know those shows were Japanese. Most people will agree that anime as a whole didn't really get a foothold in the west until the late 90's/early 2000's, and even then it took a while for production companies to catch on to the fact that they didn't need to hide the origins of their Japanese products anymore.

Mr. Astral is literally Gandalf and Bowie dresses like a hobbit

It was kind of funny, considering that in the West we didn't get Fire Emblem games until much later, the first thing I could think of was that Fire Emblem knocked off Shining Force; it wasn't until much later I recognized that we missed a ton of games offically in the West until the the GBA version.

I remember getting started with Shining Force 2 and being completely mindfucked by the depth of the battle system, the amount of characters, the music the played and animations every time my troops faced off against the enemies, the abject fear if they died (or just were under leveled - I always reset rather than let anyone die in a battle).

That's not a problem, is it?

There's a secret post-ending ultra hard battle on a map shaped like Sonic The Hedgehog.

What's funniest is when the box shows something and the actual game is totally unaltered, like with Alisia Dragoon.

currently playing it, I'm feeling pretty mixed but it feels perfectly serviceable, i don't think its a replacement mind you, just an alternative for when you wanna try 1 again, but with a different flavor.

Attached: useless trivia.png (240x160, 11.46K)

The modern world just can't support this level of kino anymore.

Yes they were, they were just called Sonic! Software Planning at the time. They changed their name to Camelot around the time of SF 3

This

are you talking about shining tears?

that was the very first "action" game from the series they never followed up on I never had the chance to play it but heard it was pretty cool

youtube.com/watch?v=CAoezSQDEdU

>sega ages

OH god you had to remind me that those exist didn't you ;_;

youtube.com/watch?v=oPApCOPLmSk

>Khris
I didnt know what the fuck she was but teen me loved her just because she was the only one who could heal

Lowe and Gong could heal too but

>Lowe
this fatass never learns aura, also in the remake he talks about nothing but eating
>Gong
not being able to use weapons really hurts him

so Kris is pretty much the best healer until you get Torasu very late into the game.

I hate that the Sega Ages line is Switch exclusive. I'd literally buy all of them if they were on Xbox

I always kept Lowe cause of the group he seemed like Max's best friend, and he was good enough. Not like it's a very hard game.

Oh yeah I've used most of the characters in the game at some point, there's very few actual trash characters with the exception of Jogurt and Adam.

Arthur is my guilty pleasure unit because magic horse is fun concept

Attached: 1559096678731.png (1000x703, 1.43M)

>heal

I thought tao was the healer or was I remembering wrong & she was the wizard?

i forgot that artist died a few years ago.

she's the fire wizard yeah, pretty cute and useful

So what is honestly up with this series? It doesn't appear to have been all that successful, so why does it have a fanbase that still talks about it?

Attached: DYvIr-iVwAEUAPP.jpg (743x1000, 157.15K)

Attached: Shining_Force_EXA_Coverart.png (256x361, 166.91K)

Wasn't it the artist for Shining Force 2? I think the one from Shining Force 1 is still kicking...

oh, i thought he did both.

Shame about how nerfed Bleu is in the remake.

For some reason, they made Khris look more like an elf in her portrait, despite the official art and her map sprite still looking very much like a kyantol.

Attached: chip.jpg (445x380, 228.04K)

>why does it have a fanbase that still talks about it?
unironically soul

Pretty sure this is the guy that did the first game.

twitter.com/f3PAg2NPxL7Rvtn
white-surge.secret.jp/

Yoshitaka Tamaki

She's a kyantol. Sort of a dog person.

So she has a triangle pussy that would hurt to be breached by human cock?

did you niggas not even watch the intro before the title screen

Hiroshi Kajiyama is the one that died and he did the Gaiden games, Wisdom and 3.

I kinda liked it. Promoted units getting a new combat track was pretty sick, but the major problem for me in the series still persists map music starting over from the beginning after every battle. Also Khris's redesign was silly.

thats a weird choice considering that you had to grind him up, how did they nerf him?

The Shining series as a whole, or just Shining Force? For Shining Force, it was Fire Emblem for Sega long before Fire Emblem came to America.

His offense was heavily reduced.

I want to kiss Zylo

After playing this I think it's better as a stand alone game and not attached to the other games in the series. The other games didn't really feature any real tech that it had from the ancients did they?

Attached: 1596339988773.jpg (1280x1834, 463.51K)

>Shining Force gacha canceled
At least we won't end up like this.
youtu.be/q9_3k_9NCDw

Attached: FPd9uguXMAk-Rp9.jpg (1280x720, 150.4K)

hell, shining force 2 came out in japan before they even got a 16-bit fire emblem. i think sf1 came out the same week as fe2.

Rouen is very cute

Attached: Characterbook_Rouen.jpg (728x1000, 96.67K)

Was it cancelled? Man, I was hoping that'd turn out to be alright.