Steam deck

is it any good

Attached: steamdeck.jpg (1200x800, 75.68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>wintards install windows onto a sd card
>blame steam deck when it grinds to a halt
its not good if you are a windozer

>512gb
>needing more
on top of that
>installing an os on a sd
i'm convinced 99% of steam deck users are retarded

It's pretty cool. Kind of annoying to work with at first, but if you put the time in, you can increase your compatibility options exponentially.

Are you a game dev?

No. Q1 finished a while ago and I happened to be in the third batch. By increasing compatibility, I mean leveraging tools like Lutris or ProtonUp or mods to aid in performance. Sonic Generations runs like trash but GMI + the D3DEX removes the super stutter you might've seen on YouTube. Proton-GE supports games regular Proton does not like COD Black Ops 3

I see
Nice to know about those, even though I didn't get one (yet)
Thanks

If you have any questions about the Deck, feel free to ask me while I'm still present in the thread. I've had it for about two(?) weeks now so I think I've got a good grasp on it.

Are the default controller schemes offered by steam good enough or do you need to fumble with the settings in most games?

Yeah I'd say so. The default seems to map as an Xbox 360 controller to games. This is particularly noteworthy because older titles do not detect more modern Xbox controllers (big ones like Dead Rising 2 or Rainbow Six Vegas 2), so it's nice to see Valve notice and respond. Some games have custom presets built for Steam Deck. Doom had a HIGH PRECISION layout that lets you easily access gyro + trackpad aim, so that's cool. If you do have to fiddle, it ends up being pretty easy. Thanks to the legacy of the Steam controller, there's a lot of alternative layout options. I found a preset that allows for tight gyro aim in MGSV as well as a surprisingly capable controller config for UT2004.

How does switch emulation work on it? What about other systems? (PS2, PS3, 3DS)
How is the anti-glare screen, do i need it? I would be using it on my home or at a VERY dark office with a single dim light
How does piracy (lutris/gamehub) work?

Attached: 1FF4359D-CE77-4C9C-82B3-5A15B200EDD9.jpg (590x443, 52.12K)

Switch emulation is only high potential at the moment. Both Yuzu and Ryujinx seem to have poor support for the Deck's RDNA 2.0 iGPU, so there are issues with Vulkan. I find that for Yuzu (the more realistic of the two), Vulkan crashes a lot. So I tried OpenGL and I'd say the Deck is fairly passable. Mario 3D World, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Smash Ultimate and Legends Arceus all seemed to run fine under OGL with the only major annoyance being shader stutter. Some games prefer GPU emulation at normal like Legends Arceus, whereas others like Kirby, run the same on High.

Just buy a laptop. It can do more and you have complete access to your entire Steam library

I guess the point I'm framing is this. If OpenGL can perform well and Vulkan is generally a better performer, the Deck has potential. When these Vulkan issues get ironed out, it should be capable of playing most light to mid range Switch games in Docked mode. My averages were about 3 hours of battery, so it's generally a bit better than the Switch v1 when it works. Don't expect Odyssey or BOTW2 though.

As for PS3, I would recommend waiting for the other RDNA 2.0 APUs to drop. I'm not a fan of the aesthetics of GPD, but the fact is the stronger CPU is going to be crucial for PS3 emulation. Right now, the Deck's 4c8t layout is a huge bottleneck. Some games that you wouldn't expect run great like Resistance or the Darkness. Others that are known to be lightweight (Skate 3) run at about 60% speed. Disappointing stuff. The competitors almost always use either 6c12t or 8c16t, so keep an eye on Aya, GPD and OneX.

Yeah good luck getting a laptop as powerful as the steam deck for the same price. You can't even find 16gb of ram that's ddr3 in a 400 laptop, let alone GDDR5 like what the deck has.

I'm ashamed to say I haven't done much PS2 or 3DS, mostly because those emulators suck ass everywhere. God Hand and Gitaroo Man play just fine at 2x (I haven't went above because why the hell would I, it's an 800p screen) as far as I can tell, but obviously I'd want more intensive testing. Citra I won't bother with. Abandoned by the devs in pursuit of that sweet sweet yuzu money, so it's fairly archaic. Games like Kid Icarus Uprising or Luigi's Mansion 2 have problems on even high end builds, while certain titles are straight up broken. Most notable being Star Fox 64 3D. I've seen people play the Zeldas with a bit of that signature Citra shader stutter, so I'd imagine it's passable however.

>worse than a PC
>worse than a laptop
It's just a budget UMPC

>How does switch emulation work on it?
Well it lacks any NSO online or local multiplayer support you're SOL as far as half of it's exclusive library.

underpowered and already outdated
not really portable since it uses so much power. you’ll be tied to an outlet anyway.
just get a laptop if you’re really dying for something you can move easily

I don't care about price tho?

How does Noita play on it? I find it hard to believe that it's actually playable

I'm confused about local multiplayer support. What do you mean by that? As far as I can tell, Yuzu can pick up another controller connected over Bluetooth. I didn't have any issues when I tested Mario 3D World.

Are you asking me if you care about price?

Like how a switch does local wireless connectivity between consoles and not split screen. Actually I don't know of emulators have that or not. I just haven't heard of anyone doing that

You're the one who brought up price out of nowhere.

Why are you asking me if you care about the price then. OR WAIT YOU ARE A FUCKING MONGOLID THAT PLACES RANDOM QUESTION MARKS AT THE END OF THEIR SENTENCES? LIKE A FUCKING RETARD? FUCKING DUMB NIGGER?

Oh I see. Ryujinx actually has support for local wireless in their LDN branches. They even have official servers that you can use as a bridge, so games like MK8 and Monster Hunter Rise can be played online. It's just not as practical. I see your point.

You seem frustrated?

Attached: Dancing girl.gif (317x360, 939.31K)

before first decks shipped out there were deck threads on first page all the time.
not anymore, guess that would make a fine answer.
couldn't even bother preordering because of the artifact man. valve went and cancelled artifact beta before could invite bitches to partake in the beta man. valve bad dont give cash.
but honestly hate game industry to the point of refusing to give em any cash and thinking of selling my game account.

Attached: 1648523480821.png (656x750, 1.06M)

It's because the loadout is a complete flop. Q1 was hell man. It seems like they've only managed to send out the first few minutes of orders. I had placed mine within the first five minutes and still needed to wait until the third batch. Not sure that many people have it yet.

Have you tried playing Deck with your TV, that streams the feed from a beefy PC to the Deck/TV?
Have you plugged external controller to play like that with the TV using Deck as ''SteamLink'' basically?

And this is a bit silly question but.. if my PC monitors are 1440p but my TV is 4K supporting, can I run the games in 4K on PC and stream it to TV properly?

Attached: Akari DJ.jpg (413x309, 96.77K)

Sorry, I don't have a dock or a USB-C to HDMI or anything like that. Haven't had the pleasure of trying it myself. From my understanding, local streaming kind of sucks right now. This includes on the handheld itself. I'm not entirely sure why either as other streaming apps like Chiaki or Google Stadia seem to work fine on Deck. With that in mind, I wouldn't be hopeful for the Deck as a Steam Link, at least not right now. As for the second question, I'm sure you could (if in-house streaming were/gets better.) I know forcing 4K output in the NVIDIA control panel will let you stream 4K from a non-4K device, I'd imagine the same applies here. Sorry I can't be concrete about it.

I see, thanks still for informative feedback.

Connect your rig to a TV with a cord holy fuck you are stupid.

Attached: 1647924540811.png (297x293, 143.62K)

My PC is two rooms away from living room basically, the cord would have to be 15 meters long.

Attached: Aradia stare.png (452x432, 91.45K)

You are planning on streaming 4k content all the while rendering the said 4k content from a single rig. Unless your parents got you a top of the line toy the only thing you are streaming is pic related.
Go get a long HDMI cable man like holy fuck.

Attached: tumblr_piear01qbs1uq6j43o1_640.png (640x576, 120.69K)

I mean, sure I have 2080 in my rig and decent 8700K with 16gb RAM which is perfect for all games right now on 1440p high settings 60fps+.
But like, I wanna play older titles too, surely those work 4K fine on that rig, let's say Yakuza 0 as an example.
Aren't HDMI's half dead by now, it's all displayports at least on PC's, I haven't really followed this stuff too closely. Now even if I did 15 meter long cord, how do you solve controllers working then? Get 15 meter cords running from PC to controller too?
Or does wireless work through few walls properly still without lag?

>installing an OS to an SD card is a problem
Actually that's mostly a windows issue. Partially because windows intentionally fails when installed to external media.

I realize I did not answer your piracy question. For me, it's been pretty easy. Add pirated game through Lutris, link a prefix and working directory, check if it launches. If it does, have Lutris make a shortcut for the game. I then add that shortcut to SteamOS. Has worked fine for Transformers Devastation, Earth Defense Force 5, Nier Automata, Crash N Sane Trilogy and Hades. One of these games in particular (EDF5) I was using the Goldberg Steam emulator, which allows connecting to other people over LAN. I use that in conjunction with ZeroTier (think a more modern hamachi) to play with my buds online. This worked fine on Deck. TL;DR Pirated games should generally be okay/easy to set up

The HDMI caps at 100 frames on huge resolutions like that, that's the only downside.
The controller signal should be fine too, unless you live in a fancy manor with thick walls.
Either way, not like plugging wireless hub for the controller in a TV would solve this issue.
The only thing I can come up with is getting a cheap rig for streaming only with your TV as the display and boosting the picture to it from your main rig.
What about your TV, is it a smart TV?
Seriously I done it before a few time and the cable option is the best one.

Also you can get an extension cord FOR YOUR REMOTE CONTROLLER HUB a few meters long and put it on the floor outside of your room to make sure the signal will be crisp.

Attached: 1648781425620.png (275x500, 105.93K)

You know while it's brought up.
Is it worth getting HDMI wall panels?
My desktop is right behind the wall to the living room.

I'd do it but I'm lazy so I wouldn't do it.

I have LG C9 which is smart tv alright, ain't the newest flagship LG CX but it's really capable of everything.
120fps 4K, so HDMI wouldn't be the connection cable then but displayport cable?
I'm not sure if that works at all, the part about plugging controller to TV, which is connected to PC in other room.

I was just hoping Steam Deck would do what SteamLink set out to do years ago, I didn't wanna get SteamLink at this point because it doesn't support 4K. And be a handheld gaming device on its own for other needs, just wanting to hit multiple birds with one rock here. Getting cheap rig to be the SteamLink kinda defeats the purpose but I suppose that's the only option if I want to use my expensive living room TV for gayming.

For Deckanon, how's the fan whirr?

No you don't plug the wireless hub into your TV that is what I was telling you.
The whole point of using cables is doing everything on the cheap while not setting anything on fire by streaming high resolution content.

Attached: 652434378562389755647980.jpg (1044x804, 182.92K)

It was really great until I had to RMA it, which has been a slow process. If you have a broad variety of games you like I am 100% sure you will find stuff you like that runs great. I was having a great time trying out my library. If you only play brand new AAA games, or only online live service stuff, probably not as great.

Attached: OB-concept-SkyB02.jpg (791x1024, 316.23K)

yeah it is

install github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom and use Proton-7.0rc3-GE-1 to fix sound in Reccetear, otherwise runs flawlessly

Attached: capitalism-ho.jpg (4000x3000, 354.25K)

Most of the games worth playing are not worth playing in handheld mode. Id rather use my 3060 Laptop

As it should. Have you ever tried installing Linux on an SD card and running off it?

Uh, yes? That's how I run my minecraft and tf2 servers.

LiveCDs don't count, retard-kun.

Neither of those run on LiveCD?

Attached: broface.png (189x192, 12.92K)

If you aren't running a desktop environment then you have no idea how awful Linux is installed on a microSD card.

LiveCDs can have a desktop environment you dork.

I'm a q2 fag , when tf am I getting it?

If you didn't get an email on April fools day any monday in the following 11 weeks

So they release the batches on Mondays, I see.

They stated that production has ramped up so Q2 should see bigger batches and sometimes multiple email waves each week. Fucking insane how I ordered mine at 11:07AM, 67 minutes after the thing went live because the servers shit themselves and wouldn't allow me to check out, and here we are over a month later and we're still only getting to people that got a purchase in 7 minutes after it went live.

Well they were, they said maybe they'd do multiple a week. (Operative word being maybe)

It'll always be Mondays, but some weeks they'll send emails and notifications out on Thursdays as well

Yes, and LiveCDs aren't a fair assessment of how well the storage medium they're on performs because the entire OS is immediately dumped to RAM before booting from it.
Installing a Linux desktop distro over a microSD is unusably, painfully slow, it's only remotely bearable if you're running a server distro without a DE.

I've used both, and it's fine.