This game would have been perfect if only you played as one character all the way through...

This game would have been perfect if only you played as one character all the way through, it had been open world and they had gotten rid of the style ranking.

Attached: devil-may-cry-5.jpg (1000x600, 165.06K)

1/3, could have been worse

Here's the harsh truth nobody wants to accept:

DMC1,2 and 3 are archaic, they have varying degrees of quality in writing and design but the gameplay is unequivocally trash and the only reason anyone tolerates playing them nowadays is blind nostalgia.

4 is eh, it's not as outdated gameplay-wise but it did import some very stupid niggles from the older ones like refusing to have a dedicated dodge, and the story is dumb and pointless, altough innofensive.

DmC is fine gameplay-wise and nobody would dislike it if it was just called something else, the writing goes from sucking shit to sucking slightly less shit when Dante stops being a juvenile retard.

5 is great gameplay-wise but they keep insisting on stupid archaic design choices like not having a damn dodge and having one of the most horrendously stiff jumps in gaming, the story is pretty garbo, for a big comeback the story sure feels like a filler episode of Supernatural.

None of these games is any better than Bayonetta, TW1010 or MGR and the series as a whole is grossly overrated.

I'm the biggest W101 shill on this entire board and DMC is miles better than it. Also cool it with the reddit spacing.

I know it's probably bait, but I would fucking kill myself if they actually went that direction. Anyone who thinks DMC should go in the modern GoW direction with restricted combat, tacked-on RPG stats, and an open world needs to fuck off.

Attached: WHY DO YOU REFUSE TO GAIN POWER.jpg (1928x1080, 98.36K)

I'd argue DMC3 (and even DMC1) feel better to play than most other action titles out there right now. What's so archaic about either of those games?
>they keep insisting on stupid archaic design choices like not having a damn dodge
Jumping has i-frames. Rolling has i-frames. Dante has Trickster that has i-frames on everything.
>having one of the most horrendously stiff jumps in gaming
Kek, this is new. Never once ever heard anyone complain about DMC5's jump. Are you just trying to make shit up?

Attached: Dante the Hero.jpg (1920x1080, 267.37K)

>not having a damn dodge
okay this is just blatantly untrue

Selecting any character of the three would have been great, interconnected world like DMC3 and 1 would have been great, but I am baffled by why you would remove one of the main appeals of the game? If you took that away, people would just use the most broken moves all the time rather than mix it up (it's already bad as it is with Faust or SDT racking up easy style points).

Honestly, the only thing that I would consider archaic outside of dated graphics and the fixed camera not being the best is just the sheer amount of inputs required. I get that is one of the biggest appeals is how deep it is, but at the same time, my hands just end up hurting by not even doing the more complicated things like Jump Cancelling with Beowulf or constantly having to hold down a button for a charged shot or constantly pressing an extra button to exceed as Nero, I have to take breaks whenever I play or pause in between a Bloody Palace run.

>This game would have been perfect if only you played as one character all the way through
Yes, pretty much the game's only flaw
>it had been open world
God no. The open world meme needs to die.
>and they had gotten rid of the style ranking.
What the fuck are you on? This is one of the best things about DMC but if you don't care about the rankings and want to play lame you can completely ignore it. What possible reason could you have to want to get rid of it?

You literally never need to do any of those things though. Even Exceed isn't needed since 5 gives you the Breakers. Even V has the ability to DT the pets so you're not overwhelmed by having to use them at the same time. Ironically the freedom the depth arises froma also makes DMC very accessible.

Compare that to something like Bayonetta or Nioh which are all based around one complex mechanic which requires you to use three or more buttons at a time to attack. DMC is a lot more concise with just one function per button, the lock-on and using the stick for a three moves at most.

I would say it isn't necessary up until DMD unless you want to deal with an insanely tanky enemy if they have been devil triggered like Proto Angelo, then you really want to use all the tools in the toolbox.

Protos are pretty straightforward though, you don't need any complex strings to beat them.

"DMC5 is the best game in the series"

> Terrible story told out of order for no reason outside of shock for the reveal of Vergil which isn't a shock for any character in the story
> V and all of his levels (style is literally adjusted for how limited he is)
> Vergil's DLC has less love from Capcom than Ninja Theory gave to DmC Vergil. Fucking KEK
> Environments are bland and uninteresting
> WTF is up with the face motion capture? It looks worse than Halo Infinite
> Microtransactions in a single-player game. Capcom and all of their apologists, kiss my ass.
> No easy lock-on mode
> Terrible environmental and level layout designs
> Lady and Trish are pointless in the story
> No introspection or exploration of Vergil as Nero's father. Why even incorporate it into the story?
> So many shit spongey enemies. Fury is a shit version of Dreamrunner.
> Alt-costumes are just pallete swaps. Seriously. The modders gave more love to this game than Capcom ever did.

based

Let's not forget how repeated boss battles are in DMC5

"Oh, but that's a staplemark in hack-n-slash games"

Then they need to do better.

They aren't complex, but they are many, like there is no reason not to remap the range button on nero to a shoulder so that you can hold down the charge button while still doing other actions. There is no reason to not always have something like Punchline on an enemy all the time unless you want to charge it or you think you might get hit. There is also no reason not to exceed even since fucking it up has no real negative consequence. Sure you can decide to not use them for a comfier experience, but then you feel bad losing less damage, this isn't even getting into Dante with even basic level style switching and weapon swapping.
I'm not saying this is objectively bad or everyone has these issue, but I personally have hands hurting when playing DMC 4 or 5 by the sheer amount of inputs you can use to your benefit. I think DMC3 being limited to one style is as much as I can personally bear.

Amazing, every word of what you just said is wrong.

>it had been open world and they had gotten rid of the style ranking
I know this is bait but it would have been better if you had the option to play as any character on any level after beating the game and V being more fleshed out(combat wise). Dante and Nero handled very well and having the two add variety.

Attached: BB4E7389-10DD-4F9B-9628-410A1DAA418E.jpg (780x844, 90.21K)

no it isn't

It's the same thing with fighting games, user. There's "no reason" why you aren't always doing the correct move, but you do. Your mind and your muscle memory are factors that you need to take into account. Ironically, if you feel it's too taxing, change the controls so whatever you don't want to do on reflex requires more work.

For example, I always felt I was misusing Griffon by always having him charging attacks mindlessly, so I switched from putting him on a trigger to the original control scheme to great effect.

>Environments are bland and uninteresting
The level design can be bland and uninteresting and there's far too much of the fucking tree, but I like how the environments look.

the problem with V is that his fully unlocked arsenal is the same as the base, unupgraded versions of the rest of the cast. He seriously needed a new pair of attacks added during the SE to fix him, but the only thing he got was a cameo in Vergil's supermove instead of gaining that supermove himself

All of what you said is true and DMC5 is still the best in the series.

That isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

My problem with V is lacking a feeling of full control over his familiars, especially Nightmare and his cane only having like 3 moves.
Are you stoned?

>not having a damn dodge
Imagine complaining about this instead of
a) jumping
b) using Trickster
c) using Royal Guard
d) using the analog stick and holding down the shoulder button to dodge
and e) hitting enemies before they can hit you
The fact that DMC doesn’t have your standard dodge button is one of the things that gives the series it’s identity. Imagine wanting Perfect Dodge or some shit like that.

Attached: 1559653311892.jpg (900x580, 53.2K)

DMC has always been slapped together and nobody working at Capcom has any idea what to do with the franchise. That's part of the charm.

People fear what they don't understand.

Attached: V.png (567x1408, 734.98K)

Don’t forget about enemy hike.

>the writing goes from sucking shit to sucking slightly less shit when Dante stops being a juvenile retard.

Nope. The writing is good, especially with Dante, understandably starting as a foul-mouthed, egotistical, violent, lonely hedonist, becomes a caring man with a cause. I swear, every negative comment focusing on the writing is butt-hurt about how it's "not OG Dante" and then never actually analyzes the writing outside of "they said a bad word. Therefore, it's bad."

>having one of the most horrendously stiff jumps in gaming
you didn't play nero enough

That's the whole point. You're playing as this weak dude who has to let others do his job for him until he can get in safely for the kill. He's messy to control but is extremely strong both offensively and defensively if you learn to use his options and keep ahead of the game. Controlling V seemlessly is its own reward.

It's a completely different headspace from the other characters, just like how things like Style switching, Devil Breakers and Concetration will make you approach fights in completely differents way when playing as Dante, Nero or Vergil, despite the fact you'll be doing many of the same actions.

I agree. I thought the remake was alright.

I still prefer the original Dante though.

>He's messy to control but is extremely strong both offensively and defensively

That's only because the devs had to artificially inflate the damage and decrease enemy damage to off-set how poorly balanced V and his familiars are. Not to mention, let's not even get into the absolute insanity-inducing problems of needing correct directional input for where not only where V is but also where ****his familiars are**** in terms of combat.

I can understand that. My issue is that no one actually presents any rational arguments against DmC in regards to what the story establishes or the who the characters are in regards of the script.

>Not to mention, let's not even get into the absolute insanity-inducing problems of needing correct directional input for where not only where V is but also where ****his familiars are**** in terms of combat.

The alternative of having the inputs be relative to the familars positioning would be even more of a shitshow, the inputs being relative to V is a bit confusing at first but works fine once you get used to it.

>how poorly balanced V and his familiars are
How are they poorly balanced? It's not like Nero or Dante need to work harder for their damage. If we're talking about poorly balanced then Vergil is way, way more poorly balanced than V is in any form.

>the absolute insanity-inducing problems of needing correct directional input for where not only where V is
You just need to press the right stick button and the camera will practically always reposition itself behind V. Yes, it can be annoying, but it's not like it never leads to problems with other characters.

>The alternative of having the inputs be relative to the familars positioning would be even more of a shitshow,

Then why even have it in the first place if it's such a pain in the ass to program?

While OP is a fag I do want 6 to shake things up a bit. 5 was fine doing the same mission structure again since it was the series's big return but it'd be cool if the next one was different, maybe hub based like a Deus Ex with contracts you can take, or a labyrinthian world that you have to explore yourself, Metroid style.

>Then why even have it in the first place if it's such a pain in the ass to program?

Some of the dev members wanted to cut V but Itsuno fought against it because he felt it was important that DMC5 had something completely different and new.

DMC5 is almost perfect but a big blemish is the shitty english script translation.

>You need to see this through, Dante's war....
Nobody who speaks english structures sentences like this.

>You cut off your own son's arm for this?!
>My son...means NOTHING to me
Should actually be something closer to "My son? I don't know what you mean!". Vergil is literally saying the words means nothing to him, but Dan reads it like he doesn't care about Nero.

There are many more examples of awkward dialogue, did would maybe have been excusable in a 2000's PS2 japanese localization. But fucking hell it's a 2019 AAA game, it's especially embarrassing considering the games are actually acted in english first. So Reuben and Co even admitted they had to do hotfixing for the dialogue on the spot.

Attached: Het.png (540x788, 718.82K)

>"My son? I don't know what you mean!"
But Vergil literally knows it's his kid.

A few metroidvania levels and secret bosses would be cool. Also, actual mission and blood palace co op.

He doesn't, which is why he says "Nero...is my son?!" right after the boss and Dante calls him a dumbass for not figuring it out earlier. He figures it out after Dante says that particular line.

That's a silly reason. I could film a movie about a guy passing a stone for 2 1/2 hours, just because it's different and new doesn't make it good.

Itsuno strongly believes in distinct playstyles for characters to add variety to gameplay, it's why he refused to give Nero weapon/breaker switching as well.

Yeah, it's stilted as fuck. Especially Dante's lines, and not in the DMC1 hammy way. I would have thought Reuben would have said something about it during production.

>Especially Dante's lines, and not in the DMC1 hammy way. I would have thought Reuben would have said something about it during production.

He actually did, apparently the original script translation was basically unusable and he told them they needed a complete retranslation. Reuben is basically to thank for DMC5's english script being kind of awkward instead of just a complete trainwreck.

Finally beat BP with unarmed Dante just now. Next is BP with unarmed Dante on turbo.

Attached: 1611014447481.jpg (680x383, 33.99K)

Reuben Langdon re-translated the script when he arrived in Japan after seeing the horrendous English script provided by Capcom. I think the line "My son...means NOTHING to me" is actually supposed to be "I don't have a son!", which I think can both be expressed with the same words in Japanese. I asssume this is just something that slipped through when Reuben was basically translating the script while they were recording the scenes.

Were you the guy from the last thread? Got any webm?

Yes, I am that guy. No, I don't have any recording. But I'll probably do it again some time and also with turbo, so I can record it then.
I was kinda nervous when I got to Urizen because I never really consciously used RG against him but it was fine. Urizen 3 and Vergil are easy since you can almost immediately achieve SSS. The hardest part of the run is easily KC just because he's so tanky and I'm only good at using RG when dealing with his fire form.
Also, I have to admit on some stages I cheesed DT with repeated enemy stepping.

>The hardest part of the run is easily KC just because he's so tanky and I'm only good at using RG when dealing with his fire form.
Did you use The Luce on him? It feels like it could easily knock his three heads out, but I haven't tried it myself.

Also, did you not use Warm Up to practice?

Hope it was fun. Imaging doing unarmed Dante in 3?

Unironically ruined the enjoyment of my 5 DMD runs, what a piece of shit characer. Him and the Urizen fights can eat a bag of dicks.

Attached: 1647572716424.jpg (960x640, 105.15K)

Deadweight.

COPE + IM NOT LETTING YOU DIE + IT HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH ME + YOU LISTEN DEAD WEIGHT + FUCK YOU

Attached: 662px-DMC5_-_Mission_20_-_4.jpg (662x372, 57.6K)

>Unironically ruined the enjoyment of my 5 DMD runs

Prioritize the biggest threats before they DT
Use the DT juice ability for more damage
Utilize Nightmares intro attacks and use promotion for lasers
Get gud.

no, shit character

Shit player, more like.

Attached: 1648133429382.webm (1024x576, 2.87M)

Every DMC game has a spark of genius that keeps you hooked and features improvements over previous installments, but is ultimately held back by several bad design decisions.

Aside from 2. That game was total ass.

I did, but I didn't notice it being significantly more effective than the other attacks. I also quit out of SDT early when using it because I tend to mess up the time window with it. Malphas is in fact very weak to the luce. I'm bad at RGing her so I just us regular SDT and spam the luce and finish with Judgement twice to get that fight over with.
And no, I don't use warm up.

Yeah, was very satisfying finally managing to finish that.
I thought about doing DMC3 BP, but I figure that's quite the challenge and also far more tedious with only RG and DTE to use. Also, I'm not sure if you can even equip Dante with no weapons in DMC3. Maybe one day.

still not liking V and he's still not coming back lol

Attached: 1642843798751.jpg (344x380, 20K)

>Dante with no weapons in DMC3. Maybe one day.
Just don’t use the weapons if you ever do it in 3.

V will come back as a new weapon for vergil, the Book of V. Instead of burning DT to enhance his summons, he burns concetration. The summons will also be blue like all of his mirage shit