This is the easiest console to develop for ever created

This is the easiest console to develop for ever created.
No assembler needed, just use C, more memory than you will need, the entire hardware is available on the memory space and it's all neatly organized (which means in C you literally just use pointers to manipulate the entire thing), the "graphical engine" itself is baby easy to use, and to play music you just use a tool to convert a wave file to a compressed ADPCM file and point to it and the hardware will play it for you (but you can make a software mixer with a much better audio quality)

But that said, was the ease of development good for it or detrimental?

Attached: gba.jpg (1500x1500, 201.57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J3_8K2I_uls
cdromance.com/gba-roms/resident-evil-2-tech-demo-usa/
youtube.com/watch?v=giIJyBSwvK4
youtu.be/bFzrwmYuQVE?t=1580
youtube.com/watch?v=flA7pxI7Fkg
youtube.com/watch?v=QmpZa3Tp6Qk&t=324s
youtube.com/watch?v=gT3UpHqIgz8
youtube.com/watch?v=1vOemicXfpc
youtube.com/watch?v=KE0BNdZMCNE&t=1080s
youtube.com/watch?v=Xw5Bn9HvLXY&t=498s
youtube.com/watch?v=taKr0iJpbSE
youtube.com/watch?v=JXDcMo9pErc
youtube.com/watch?v=t6Izj3iZB9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=rxTv8-LXYz4
youtube.com/watch?v=LqUqh6eTKLs&t=81s
youtube.com/watch?v=ZVxr47jkufM&t=576s
youtube.com/watch?v=W3CygpcfiJk&t=28s
youtube.com/watch?v=MOnHSZrkhRE
youtube.com/watch?v=7WTdCeGOjd4&t=1494s
youtube.com/watch?v=SJx9PX5SQgk
youtube.com/watch?v=djd3yNQNM44
youtube.com/watch?v=zlO8ihg2eIg&t=556s
youtube.com/watch?v=2rcrVodpXPY
youtube.com/watch?v=8WdANZGyngM
youtube.com/watch?v=FTrux9zuzZU
youtube.com/watch?v=36U2xN-196c
youtube.com/watch?v=b9imG8XeE_0
youtube.com/watch?v=B_MMtzpluVI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I had a ton of fun with one of those and one of those 100 game cartridges, too bad it was borrowed and I only had it for 20 days

It's a console with no games until you remember the games it have and you keep remembering and it never fucking stops.
It's like that garfield meme, except with actual good games instead of Wii shit

the patrician man's handheld

Attached: gba2.png (3138x1638, 3.24M)

Attached: 1642074009431.jpg (3840x3840, 820.92K)

I've still got my AGS-101. Love the shit out of this machine. The lineup is hard to beat.

The GBA only had a 4 year life span right? I remember the DS was meant to be a "third" console being it's own brand separate from the Game Boy console line. Compared to any other handheld Nintendo made (Not counting Virtual Boy) the GBA sadly had the briefest life cycle. I guess being easy to produce games for didn't matter when the DS was launched.

Couldn't say for sure, but Gameboy development has fascinated me as of late. Really considering trying it out just to get a feel for game design.

The fact that they just ported Tomb Raider to it implies there was a lot of untapped potential left on the table

Attached: gbatomb.webm (640x360, 2.92M)

I'd love to dev a game for GBA.

It was such an SNES port machine that nobody cared it was closer to the PS1 than SNES

TONC is one resource I know of. I'm not sure if there are quite GBA focused dev interfaces and engines like GB Studio, but I'm also still very green to this stuff so I'm gathering information as I can.

Explain to me the reason why it still only has two face buttons

Shittier SNES ports: the console

Does anybody know if the cancelled RE2 port had a publically released ROM? I have vivid memories of playing that once, but it might have just been a Youtube video.

How does it work without unbearable FPS rates? I saw someone writing a 3D renderer for the GBA that ran very slowly.

Then why were all games inferior in quality than they were on SNES, with lesser frames of animation, horrid sound quality, lower resolution, and instability?

>tfw tried ot play my gba recently
>my old eyes too shit now for small screen

Attached: 1623706340072.jpg (640x640, 32.85K)

I've been playing GBA games on my Vita. Would recommend.

>RE2
Never heard about this. Were there any images or footage of the game?
Either hack other consoles or mod your GBA.

Attached: 20210207_092050.jpg (3492x4656, 2.7M)

Looks like it was only ever a tech demo with a few screens, but certainly impressive to look at

youtube.com/watch?v=J3_8K2I_uls
cdromance.com/gba-roms/resident-evil-2-tech-demo-usa/

Attached: gbare2.jpg (640x427, 40.38K)

Low resolution is a hardware thing, everything else is a budget thing.
There are many GBA games that are literally impossible on the snes.

Isn't it amazing that they could do this with just two double-a batteries?

Let's see an SNES do this

youtube.com/watch?v=giIJyBSwvK4

Miniopolis, home.
youtu.be/bFzrwmYuQVE?t=1580

Attached: file.png (727x371, 605.83K)

I love this kind of shit. Untapped potential from some crazy ports that had no business existing, especially not in functional ways like this.
I almost wish it were a sequel to Gaiden, because what a concept that one was. Still, this is very impressive in its own right.

There's a reason why ARM pretty much took over the world

Anyone here actually tried to develop something on it? I have a tiny bit of experience with embedded and wanted to try something out.

Fuck yeah, thanks! I was sure that there was a playable demo. There was also a cancelled isometric GBC RE1 port, by the way.

Attached: re1gbc.jpg (318x202, 8K)

>tiny bit of experience with embedded
Hey what do you know, same boat. Unfortunately I can't offer any advice at the time, but I've been watching some youtube stuff to get a feel for what the creation process might be like, at least on the coding side. It seems fascinating but definitely would take work being in an entirely different world of development.
I'd recommend watching some videos and trying a few simple things out when you get the chance, that's where I plan to start.

The Ecks vs Sever game was a pretty standard FPS but the graphics were insane for the GBA.
youtube.com/watch?v=flA7pxI7Fkg

Attached: sddefault.jpg (640x480, 47.81K)

Yeah, I also did that some time ago. I just get confused as to how to do things like rendering to a screen, using the system peripherals, etc.
I have a few resources like TONC and forums, but haven't had the time to start creating a game yet.

So, normal gba with 101 mod, normal gba with ips mod or ags-101 (sp)

Whichever you prefer. AGB has the girth and headphone jack, but the AGS have clamshells. Stick with what you want and what your modding abilities and budget allow for.

For me it's mgba

It's strangely like that when it comes to my memories of the system. It starts with me remembering one title then a tidal wave of memories across various games hits. I really need to boot mine up or emulate some stuff. I haven't touched the GBA since I was a teenager.

Explain why you think you need more than shoot and jump or confirm and cancel buttons.

Don't do a 101 mod, you ruin 2 systems that way. Check out funnyplaying's ITA kit, it's a nicer screen than the 101, but still has the same resolution so you don't lose the original pixel grid look. Or go ips if that doesn't matter to you, and you'd prefer more vibrant colors.

zoomers will never know the struggle

Attached: GA-80752.jpg (350x347, 19K)

I'd still go back in a heartbeat.

Attached: OIP (1).jpg (474x396, 20.8K)

What's your favorite GBA game Yea Forums? For me, it's a three-way tie between Wario Land 4, Aria of Sorrow, and Zero Mission.

Nintendo needs to reboot the Game Boy. But market it as a really inexpensive platform. Basically the same specs as a GBA, nice crisp 240x160 OLED screen. Sell it for $70. Make the dev tools available for all and have some cool libraries and tutorials to encourage young developers to make games for it. Have some sort of indie eShop system.

Have some fun new first-party games, but nothing fancy. GBA was the last bastion of good pixel art in games. It's sad that Nintendo devs were just getting good at pixel art as it became obsolete.

Nintendo could still be making great games in this format but they don't.

Attached: Playdate_photo_3.jpg (1200x628, 91.52K)

NOT. RETRO.

Attached: 1649009763732.gif (1400x1406, 1021.64K)

Not sure, only because I'm still working through some of the system's library that I missed.
Really like Spyro Attack of the Rhynocs, but Wario Land 4 and Pokemon Pinball RS are top notch games.
Tell me though, I've been eyeing getting the carts of Boktai, Summon Night, and Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure. If I go for even just one, which is the better game?

This looks like a Wario Ware minigame

I'd be all over this as both a consumer and a developer. Would be a dream.
Hell, I'm shocked something like this hasn't been done just yet. Playdate feels like it missed the mark in a number of departments there
But yeah, a super budget console with a focus on smaller, pixel art games would have a very interesting niche. Though I do have to wonder if it will find much footing considering how many people are graphics whores. Anymore that kind of device would be seen as a toy or a novelty by the masses.

>how many people are graphics whores
i agree but i think we're finally at a stage where the graphics dick measuring contest is ending. maybe we can finally move past that and focus on fun more than graphics.

but maybe that's just wishful thinking...

Final Fight One:
youtube.com/watch?v=QmpZa3Tp6Qk&t=324s
River City Ransom EX:
youtube.com/watch?v=gT3UpHqIgz8
Double Dragon Advance:
youtube.com/watch?v=1vOemicXfpc
Advance Guardian Heroes:
youtube.com/watch?v=KE0BNdZMCNE&t=1080s
TMNT:
youtube.com/watch?v=Xw5Bn9HvLXY&t=498s
Gekido Advance:
youtube.com/watch?v=taKr0iJpbSE
X-Men: Reign of Apocalypse :
youtube.com/watch?v=JXDcMo9pErc
Jackie Chan Adventures:
youtube.com/watch?v=t6Izj3iZB9Q
Sega Smash Pack: GoldenAxe:
youtube.com/watch?v=rxTv8-LXYz4

The Beat 'Em Up genre was alive and well on the GBA in the early 2000's.

The GBA is underrated
>Golden Sun
>Advance Wars
>Megaman Battle network
>Fire Emblem

Trust me, I want nothing more than to be beyond it because I just want games that are fun. Graphics be damned, how enjoyable is it?
So many killer titles people have been sleeping on until as of late

I'm glad mom took her time to finally give me a gba so I ended up with a SP instead of the originao

Aria of Sorrow is the best game for the GBA

Attached: reggie-not-fun.gif (498x278, 3.78M)

My dad bought my an og GBA on launch day, great little memory. The thing died two years later, but got a refurbished SP out of it

Retro is a retarded shit anyway.
Thing that only horrible stranger things hipster fanboys that buy shitty chinese vynil players and 80's inspired funko pops.

GBA Run and Guns:
Contra Advance: The Alien Wars:
youtube.com/watch?v=LqUqh6eTKLs&t=81s
Metal Slug Advance:
youtube.com/watch?v=ZVxr47jkufM&t=576s
Gunstar Super Heroes :
youtube.com/watch?v=W3CygpcfiJk&t=28s
Astro Boy: Omega Factor:
youtube.com/watch?v=MOnHSZrkhRE
Turok Evolution:
youtube.com/watch?v=7WTdCeGOjd4&t=1494s
CT Special Forces:
youtube.com/watch?v=SJx9PX5SQgk
Alien Hominid:
youtube.com/watch?v=djd3yNQNM44

Kill.Switch:
youtube.com/watch?v=zlO8ihg2eIg&t=556s
Third person 3D cover shooter for the GBA.

Max Payne on the GBA is also great:
youtube.com/watch?v=2rcrVodpXPY

Reminder that legacy of goku 2 and buu's fury have the best music on the system.
youtube.com/watch?v=8WdANZGyngM

>youtube.com/watch?v=giIJyBSwvK4

Need for Speed - Porsche Unleashed :
youtube.com/watch?v=FTrux9zuzZU
Need For Speed : Underground :
youtube.com/watch?v=36U2xN-196c
Need for Speed: Underground 2:
youtube.com/watch?v=b9imG8XeE_0
Need for Speed - Most Wanted:
youtube.com/watch?v=B_MMtzpluVI

my big brother had one of these bad boys for the OG game boy. A fucking magnifying glass along with the light. Worked just as well as you'd think

Attached: light boy.png (490x656, 152.41K)

>performance
alpha as fuck

Looks like it's overcompensating as hell
I love it

worst thing about it was it had a tiny little bulb that broke very easily. If it was working though it was about the only way to play in the car at night

Attached: 1618783004264.gif (460x259, 1.6M)

>The GBA only had a 4 year life span right?
Only if you get your facts from wikipedia. The GBA was very much alive concurrently with the DS for a LONG time, a lot of games would be released on both systems.