IT'S HAPPENING

youtube.com/watch?v=sahskKAxSCY

IT'S HAPPENING

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 125.16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/grumpygamer/status/1511022135191384067
youtube.com/watch?v=mYZXNVHVfhc
gratissaugen.de/ultimatetalkies/
1337x.to/torrent/1675408/LucasArts-Adevnture-Games-Collection-V2/
youtu.be/JbS2gZpyywE
youtube.com/watch?v=5T8fJlvcecM
youtu.be/pjLrE-JYyyY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>mfw lived long enough to see a new monkey island

Attached: 1618774751307.jpg (640x605, 63K)

Hopefully it won't be bad, but I worried that Schafer not being involved will make it feel like something's missing, no matter how good it could possibly be

>curse and tales confirmed non-canon
>gilbert is going to use the good ideas and characters from them anyway
based

Well, it already took 20 years to be even announced, that pretty much covers Tim development hell time

this is actually pretty fucking exciting
hope it is not shit

Hell yeah, new MI

I actually liked The Cave. Didn't get around to Thimbleweed Park.

Attached: 1429743414404.jpg (494x604, 46.98K)

Thimbleweed park was unironically great and is in terms of game play the pinnacle of classic point and click adventure game
The ending sucks ass though and nearly soiled the whole experience for me.

Finally, something to look forward to.

If the "Secret" of Monkey Island turns out to be some stupid meta bullshit I'm gonna be mildly disappointed

Attached: birdley.jpg (582x706, 65.75K)

Not sure how I feel about Curse not being canon but I'm hyped to see a new MI.

I do hope they bring back Steve Purcell for this however, give it some old school art sovl.

curse is canon

twitter.com/grumpygamer/status/1511022135191384067

purcell has a cushy gig at pixar these days, not sure if he'd go for it

>They are going to rewrite everything from the third game
OH NOOOOOO MURRAY!!!!!

Attached: 1514667822665.jpg (372x268, 12.56K)

I can’t wait to point and click for hours

Deranged boomers,

>I can’t wait to point and click for hours
Don't you do that already with your Call of Dutys?

Attached: 1566589778075.jpg (500x500, 104.65K)

Basado

Pixar and Lucasart Games are both owned by Disney, there might be a slim chance he could have been involved a little.

HOLY FUCK WHAT

Actually the biggest news of the decade

Nope

Attached: b49bfabe23ec2ffac620761223567b02.png (601x249, 22.54K)

>3D guybrush walking around in a jungle
>OH NO MECHA LECHUCK IS AFTER ME, I HAVE TO RUN!
>Murray: BOOOOH!
>Not now Murray!! I gotta escape!
>Then take me with you Guybrush, and together we shall reign fire over the mortals who-
>NOT NOW!
>Mecha LeChuck: YOU CANT ESCAPE ME GUYBRRRUSH THREEPWOOD!!!
>Lets hide in this cave Murray..
>*portal opens up*
>MI2 Elaine is seen on the other side
>GUY---- TAKE--- AND!!! --RRY!!!
>Elaine???
>Murray: ITS A TRAP!!!
>Guybrush is like NO WAY!! NOT FALLING FOR ONE OF LECHUCKS TRICKS!
>*Elaine grabs him and pulls him through the portal*
>*Murray bites into Guybrush's swash and tags along*
>Elaine: omg Guybrush we finally found you with help from the voodoo lady, remember the hole you fell in when you were looking for big whoop? well its a portal to LeChuck's evil dimension, he's been torturing you there for 6 months!!
>Six months? felt like 30 years..
>Yeah, no.. six months guybrush
>aaah but finally we are together again my snuggleplum *guybrush goes in for a kiss*
>Elaine avoids the kiss "yeah no, I changed my mind about this relationship."(didn't Ron always say her and Guybrush were gonna have an on/off relationship?
>They sail away
>Zombie LeChuck steps out of the portal
>Hmmmm...

Attached: 24456.png (148x125, 3.75K)

So what's it going to cost?

Attached: 2022-04-04_114950.png (1119x878, 279.44K)

>inb4 they automatically adjust the price of the game on Steam based on this site

Oh thank the lord!

confirmed it picks up in the carnival
kino is coming

Attached: 2[1].jpg (1440x780, 971.92K)

Guess that means I'm going to have to replay all the previous games because I don't remember shit about them.

Call of duty is boomer garbage my dude, I play fortnite and elden ring

From the other topic:

Will they bring Schafer too? If so, it would be perfect. It won't be the same without him.

By reading these interviews if doesn't feel that Schafer was that import in the project, after all?

Nothing, but it's not an original work from the original authors. Things are never quite "right".

I like to think about these stuff as an alternative canon.

Like Phoenix Wright 5 and 6, Miles Edgeworth 1 and 2, they exist in their own canon. Or Sakamato's Metroid games (Fusion, Other M, Dread). They exist but on their own continuity because the original authors didn't work on it.

Is there a transparent version of this gif?

Yes, they really should bring the whole team back, the artstyle is really, really wrong, it was really charming in the original games.

Interesting. Is it really possible that the original artist is so high priced? The artstyle is wrong, but this one doesn't really look cheap, except for the animations, which is flash like.

Are they really doing a really low budget game? It was never a low budget series.

1 and 2 have a strong continuity, 3 and 4 don't. We are left in a cliffhanger, that's why the expectations are so high for this one.

Attached: 1622916205885.gif (284x200, 379.26K)

You'll only really need to replay the first two. Ron doesn't consider the rest canon (though he'll lift any parts of them he likes like Murray).

Not reading all of that my dude

Guybrush in Kingdom Hearts 4?

shit, 20 bucks back then was a lot more than i thought
i've never payed more than 15 modern bucks for a computer game

I liked all the games, including 4 and 5.

Attached: monk.gif (500x600, 663.76K)

me too

Too much for me personally, seeing as I've done nothing but boost sales of Monkey Island games since the 90s.
All the buys I've caused... They can thank me later.

HEY GUYBRUSH! IT'S VOODOO TIME!

Attached: fb_ship (34).jpg (1280x960, 259.64K)

Hmm, I wonder if he'll change it so that MI3 all takes place in LeChuck's personal hell for Guybrush.
I really hope he won't fit his game inbetween 2 and 3 and just have it end with Guybrush escaping the carnival and going into 3.

>Are they really doing a really low budget game? It was never a low budget series.
user, MI always had low budget and the teams were small even for the times, the original artist almost had a cardiac arrest when he realized he needed to work with 256 colors for one of the later releases

>ugly flash paper puppet style
blech

>Lucasfilm
>owned by Disney
This is worrying, everything else is great.

Attached: 1.png (879x670, 932.6K)

>return to monke island
based

Attached: return.jpg (828x682, 101.34K)

Yeah
Funny how everybody immediately says "Flash style" animation. So much time has passed and people (especially fans who lived through the Flash "era") know what it looks like.
That trailer just reminds me of the Weebl stuff.

Wow! It's really nice knowing that Monkey Island isn't a dead series, and the art and music looks great.
My only concern comes with what the story and writing will be.

Most Monkey Island fans prefer Ron Gilbert's very cynical and meta style of Monkey Island 2 in particular, but I'm one of the people who really liked how the series became less cynical and less less meta with Monkey Island 3 and even the Tell Tale one.
In particular I think Monkey Island 2 ruined the happy ending of Monkey Island 1, which should have continued at least a little bit.
It's a very 90s thing, that type of cynicism. Perhaps It's because I was born in the 2000s, (2002, turning 20 years old) but I just like that a lot less.

Still, hopefully it'll be good. And I'm glad Ron Gilbert gets to make his conclusion to the story he first wrote over thirty years ago, in 1991, with Monkey Island 2

>Generic indie art style
It's going to be shit.

>curse and tales confirmed non-canon
I think it's more separate canons at this point.
Like the Zelda thing
You have the Marriage timeline
>1, 2, Curse, Tales
Then the Ron Gilbert Timeline
>1, 2, Return

Fucking name your thread next time

>mfw

Attached: out1.jpg (1024x1024, 114.42K)

orange

Gilbert last game was good until the end, hopefully he can get out of his own ass and not get prentious. The writing, dialogue, puzzles and humor were there, just gotta do the landing.

Well said, and I played the originals on the family Amiga 1200
I'm cautiously hopeful, because we've all been burned before with the way the industry is
And the cutesy Flash animation of the trailer doesn't exactly grab me either
But hopefully it will be good. It's been at least fifteen years since I've been excited for a game, so I'm being very carefully optimistic.

Why is The Dig so divisive?

Ask me about LOOM™

huh.
I wonder if Guybrush will be married to Governor Marley in this story.
I know that was something Gilbert really disliked about Curse.
Monkey Island 1 and 2 were somewhat feminist stories really. in the 90s sense anyways. With the main dude being a doofus, and the heroine just being more competent and better in every way.

Curse and Tales changed that somewhat, made Marley a loving wife and often a damsel in distress.
Which I kinda liked, it's more fun that way, more of a power fantasy.

Attached: unknown.png (601x249, 26.56K)

I didn't like having to jump between 5 different protagonists, 2 is more than enough.

Also yeah the ending sucked ass, one of the few games I won't recommend to P&C fans on that alone

I don't know how long it is, but point and clicks these days are like 20$ if they're not on sale and are more higher end.
Since Monkey Island is a big brand name (relatively) It might be around 40$

Doubt it would be any higher though

I'M LOOOMINGGGGG

Curse seemed to take place quite far in the future, it had been a long time since Guybrush had seen Marley despite being married. They can probably end Return without them even being married, it wouldn't mess anything up.

I am hyped, but at the same time I know it won't really be the same without Tim or Dave. It'll still be good, I don't doubt that, but I can't see it as being on par with the first 3 games.

>backed double fine adventure back in the day
>lost all excitement for it after the art direction was revealed
>haven't so much as installed it to this day

really not feeling this one either, are there any actual animators left in the industry or did they all leave for greener pastures?

there were more hand drawn frames in the average 20-second weebl cartoon than op's video

Attached: disappoint.jpg (721x1280, 72.58K)

Well that was the style of the remasters of 1 and 2, so it checks out that it would be expanded for the new game

gilbert you fucking hack make another thimbleweed game

I'll keep my eye open, but it's probably going to be max cringe.

Lumberjack is not the protagonist of the game.

oh sure, walk to the sun

>31 years for more MONKE
Pity the dead who cannot know this joy.

Attached: 1648953393845.jpg (551x680, 48.26K)

>I didn't like having to jump between 5 different protagonists
it was fucking confusing in Maniac Mansion, and it didn't improve to much in Day of the Tentacle
passing items between characters was a fucking chore, and sometimes you get stuck and have no other choice than to test all possible object interactions available, Day of the Tentacle made that last resort an even bigger chore than it had to be and some of the puzzles were borderline moon logic

That doesn't really confirm or deconfirm much though. It can be canon, but following this game's events, or canon in an alternative timeline as already mentioned.

Tell me about LOOM™.

Thread theme
youtube.com/watch?v=mYZXNVHVfhc

Based, curse is good. That it was a children game theorist btfo

My issue with The Dig is twofold. First is the ending because it completely undermines the game's message. But it's not just the ending, the dialog is very....amateurish a lot of the time. Which is wierd because Orson Scott Card can do videogame dialog writing, he wrote all the insult swordfighting lines for MI1. And he can certainly do sci-fi dialog writing because he wrote Ender's Game. But man, the characters in The Dig might as well be spouting movie cliches half the time.

Yea regardless this is a positive thing. I mean I thought that since Disney owned the rights to Monkey Island, that we wouldn't see another game.
So the fact that I was wrong is great.

Still, I am only moderately hopeful about the game, since I really thought The Thinbleweed Park game Gilbert made was shit.
He gets too meta and too pretentious, and I'm hoping either that doesn't apply here or it will be good despite that.

Curse is a lot harder to sweep under the rug in the eyes of the fans anyway because unlike Escape which is WAY more divisive, CMI is almost universally loved despite none of the 3 main creators having worked on it.

Real talk? MI1 is better than MI2. I mean the writing, jokes, etc all great. But it was SO much, it's clear they just went crazy with the new tech, there's so many red herrings, and some puzzles are so fucking obtuse
>spitting contest
Monkey Island 1 was a much tighter and concise experience.

Attached: paddy.jpg (512x382, 31.44K)

Shit man, I liked 3. I'm not a fan of recounting it away because Ron is salty.

After the whole
>3.3
debacle I'm not going to celebrate the return of point-and-clicks in advance, but Gilbert seems a bit more level-headed than Schafer. Schafer redeemed himself with Psychonauts 2, but man Broken Age sucked dick

user the secret of Monkey isl

That's exactly where I got stuck, when it opens up. I'm not going to look up the answers, didn't have to for the first one.

>Why is The Dig so divisive?
I've only met people who loved it and found it magical. Including me.
>the characters in The Dig might as well be spouting movie cliches half the time.
When did you play it? Mid 90s? Before Armageddon? Or in the 00s or 10s?
The characters were stock so you could concentrate on the adventure. What happens to your companions was pretty shocking at the time given how safe the genre was. I don't think you can understand that playing it after 2000.

This is great news.

Attached: 1236021101492.gif (509x180, 478.07K)

And how will they conspire to fuck things up?
We wait with baited breath.
It's not often I'm hopeful, but I do hope.

Attached: still crazy soundtrack.jpg (300x296, 21.81K)

1 is better in everything except the variety of content. I loved how 2 had 3 very unique islands all with their own feel, but the puzzles are ruined by the fact that by design, every major puzzle required visiting all 3 islands which just means massive backtracking.

tried playing the original just a while ago, genuinely kept dozing off
wish I could play this type of shit without falling asleep. pic related is proof I'm not just baiting

Attached: wewe.png (665x645, 33.7K)

With that art style its DoA to me. They should go full on retro and make it a pixel game

Attached: download - 2022-04-04T144408.583.jpg (1280x720, 193.92K)

Oh man this is great news, I really want it too be good. The only thing I didn't like is the graphics, not sure going for the remasters look is a good idea since they looked horrible. Everything else tells me the game is in good hands, I'm excited to hear a brand new soundtrack from Michael, Mcconnell and Clint, they haven't worked in a MI game since the second one and their recent collaboration in Psychonauts 2 was a banger.

>When did you play it?
About 2 years after it came out, but I didn't really go back with my brain in analysis mode until last year which allowed me to see scripting and theming flaws I wouldn't have noticed if I just played normally and not for the sake of critique.

guybrush is the perfect cuck protagonist for this generation

they were far ahead of their time with monkey island

i played the Dig as a kid and loved it, never picked up on any of your grievances, the game kinda reminded me of a Steven Spielberg movie
i never understood how that Choso looking alien managed to resurrect the blonde guy as an old man, he even got his missing hand restored

I'm one of the three anons here who likes 5. Le Singe was not that great but Leflay was top tier and it had some great gags in it.
4 is dogshit though.

Monkey Island went to shit ever since it stopped having a realistic graphical style to juxtapose the silly and lighthearted tone of the story, don't @ me.

Give me Loom 2: Loom Harder instead.

the final game's look didn't improve much on that proof of concept and you know it

as long as it's like a lucasarts game and not telltale garbage.

>never picked up on any of your grievances
Really? The first one is kinda obvious. Like the whole theme of not tampering with powers you don't understand and the dead should stay dead makes more sense if the ending doesn't shoot that in the foot by having a free no-consequences version of bringing back the dead.

That's the first announcement in a decade to make me audibly go "Oh wow, holy shit". I feel like a freaking basedjak right now, but I don't even care. Man, I can't believe they got the old team back.

Attached: 1386316538724.jpg (600x641, 75.09K)

now i'm actually terrified that Guybrush's clumsiness, cowardice and incompetence will be played completely straight and lauded as virtues, instead of obvious character flaws intended to generate humor at his expense

>globohomo corporate Memphis art style
Ron Gilbert being the lead means at least the writing will be fun. But mang that Xbox 360 indie game art looks fucking bad.

59.99 + tax

are the remakes of 1/2 good?

MURRAY?!

I enjoy 5 too

Schafer never had anything integral to do with monkey Island. He was always a inafune type scam artist who oversold his contributions.

yes, just downlaod the hair mod

>LUCASFILM GAMES
WE'RE BACK BROS

The voice acting is excellent. Just put old graphics

The REAL secret of Monkey Island was the friends we made along the way :)

Finally, an user of taste.

YES, IT IS I, MURRAY, THE EVIL DEMON SKULL. I AM THE HARBINGER OF YOUR DOOM, AND THE FORCES OF DARKNESS WILL APPLAUD ME AS I STRIDE THROUGH THE GATES OF HELL, CARRYING YOUR HEAD ON A PIKE!

YIKES

MUH DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

IS IT A VERY EEEEVIL LOOKING DOORSTOP?

"stride?"

Does that mean yes Morgan or no Morgan?

Yes, I didn't mind the new graphics, but a lot of people did. If they bug you, they let you switch to the old style. In 1 this also removes the voice acting though, but I'm pretty sure there's a mod for that.

Fair enough. I've replayed it a couple of times since then but far enough spaced I never really felt a need to critique dialogue. Something about the music, "realistic" artstyle (for pixel art point and click anyway) and the mystical atmosphere works in a way no other point and click did.
I always thought 'cinematic' p&c would be a thing but it never happened. The genre always felt a need to be comedic and lean on rubbing balloons on cats to try and open doors.

they already pretty much nailed the style with Thimbleweed, not sure why they didn't continue with its style for the upcoming MI.

Attached: thimbleweed.jpg (1920x1080, 586.61K)

PAPPAPISHU

ALRIGHT THEN ROLL, ROLL THROUGH THE GATES OF HELL!
Must you take the fun out of everything?

>a free no-consequences version of bringing back the dead
you can produce some extra life crystals near the ending, if you use one on the corpse of your female companion she'll run off a cliff and the MC will kneel at the edge for a very long time before starting to move again
also, when Choso resurrects them, the woman slaps the MC instead of hugging him

i get your point, but that ending of miracle alien magic is what made me compare this game to Spielberg movies

Maybe he'll do a reread of it? It's hard to accept as canon, no matter how good it is.

5 was the telltale one right?

am I supposed to know or care who "Ron gilbert" is?

The remake for 2 is, but the remake for 1 isn't.

Yeah, Tales.

>you can produce some extra life crystals near the ending
Yes but the life crystals turn you into a heroin zombie, the ending's form of resurrection doesn't.

Lowkey true. The original MI was already a pretty progressive game and very woke. It's just that woke back then was a good and fresh contrast because they had some societal pushback. Now they're gonna preach to the choir. Brace for open relationship guycuck and blacked Elaine.

He's more or less the creator of the Monkey Island franchise

Honestly I chalk that up to them not being 100% sure with the first remake as to how the new graphics should look, they nailed it a lot better with 2's

With thimbleweed parks ending, you already know it will be meta.

Yes

Attached: Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 17-03-56 orpatashnik styleclip – Replicate.png (1908x978, 2.27M)

Yeah kinda sucks. The "lol epic lumberjack" ca 2010 tumblr art doesn't inspire confidence. But it's a boomer game so whatever.

I liked that one too.

This droid in Empire apparently has the same voice actor as Murray.

Attached: 21B_tends_Luke.jpg (640x422, 50.97K)

thimbleweed looked good but i wish it was more 'zany'. like that truck there would look way more angular and cartoony in an old lucasarts point n click

Second half of the year was looking kinda boring since To me since Zelda got delayed. But now I‘m full of excitement again. Time to go home piratebros

He's also the voice in the old Got Milk commericals

There‘s literally no way it isn’t

That alone proves that they know what they’re doing

As long as it's better than "the giant monkey head is actually the control room for a giant monkey robot", I think I'll be fine

Wasn't the secret already revealed? What do you think the ending of MI2 was? Why do people believe that he's going to reveal the secret in this new game?

Man fuck 4.

I actually kinda like Lucre Island but fuck the rest of the game.

New Grim Fandango when?

That's under Tim Schafers control. You don't want it.

That was Tim Schafer, so just check out any of his gay tranny enabling fart huffing homo cringe games from doublefine.

>Ron Gilbert said he'd never make another Monkey Island game unless
Unless what?

ugly as sin but the voice acting's great, all the characters that would later reappear in curse have the same actors and just about everyone else sounds like they're supposed to

you can make scummvm-compatible talkie versions with a tool online

How pozzed will it be? I don't trust western games.

unfortunately, this

>That's the mast.

I had no idea orson scott card was the writer for that stuff.
Too bad I haven't heard about him ever since the american left decided he was a bad guy

Unless he'd own the IP. And that belongs to Disney now. Basically he got a big bag of money and let go of his principles.

Can't wait til Timmy tencent waves a few bucks around and I don't get to play this for another year

Thimbleweed Park wasn't pozzed desu

Unless Tim Schafer wasn't allowed to work on it

>was just thinking about playing Monkey Island again for the first time in over a decade
>mfw this announcement

Attached: 1630599633131.jpg (640x639, 35.29K)

it was also almost 10 years ago, pozzing started happening in the years right after

It's either this or nothing. Sometimes you just have to face facts.

Does Revolver even have anything exclusively on EGS?

You haven't heard anything about him because he mostly just writes sidestories in the Ender's Game universe.
It's also kinda odd he's anti-gay considering the actual themes of his books would point in the exact opposite direction.

That was 5 years ago and right into the biggest trump derangement hysteria ever. Considering Gilbert is a HUGE liberal who spent all the trump era bitching and moaning about orange man he kept it out of the game mostly.

It came out in 2017 you mong

b-but google said 2014

Have you played the game big colossal retard. Christ. You just googled something you have never played and started to make up shit

Maybe he just accepted the fact that he owns nothing and now he‘s happy

I'm still mad that the LRG physical version of the collection was so retardedly expensive , I would have liked having them on my shelf.

I know they're going for an artstyle that works for what is undoubtedly a tiny budget and looks "modern" at the same time, but this is awful.

Attached: 1424754131024.jpg (806x377, 44.31K)

MI was always pozzed. Pozzed kino

I'm 99.9% convinced Ron just reused his "secret" in Thimbleweed thinking he'd never have a chance to use it in MI.

Like seriously. He better go back to the drawing board.

Attached: 1524088203984.jpg (1010x897, 68.17K)

what was the secret?

Why are you guys forgetting about Escape?

I need to see what the art style of the human character is before I'm excited But I'm still excited anyway

I remember enjoying 4 as a kid. That time travel swamp thing was kino.
But I do remember being disappointed by their versions of Insult Swordfighting. First was the one with the Aussie who just shitposted the entire fight, as if the game was making fun of you for liking Insult Swordfighting. Then there was the nonsensical monkey shit. I remember actually taking notes on that after learning from trial and error. I wrote stuff like "Oop beats Chee" That entire thing was really stupid.

Oh great
They're going to ruin this too with pozzed shit

curse is the only one worth playing though

My waifu better be rescued from Tales or I'm gonna flip.

Attached: waifu.png (1076x2060, 736.64K)

>I remember actually taking notes on that after learning from trial and error.
You have to because it's randomized with each playthrough what beats what

Have you played Thimbleweed? I don't want to spoil it, but basically how it ends.

I hated how it looked and that they fucked with the secret. I also can barely remember any good gags from it, but that could just be because I'm a middle aged man.

Thimbleweed park is a computer game. That's the joke. The game gets self-aware in a very meta and lowkey horror way. You'd think the plot twist is old news but its done in such an uncomfortable schizo-cosmic horror style that it kinda works. But also leaves an odd aftertaste.

This is some good headcanon. I believe it

Attached: 1649104599079.jpg (1280x720, 91.81K)

kind of a boring twist, almost nobody can pull it properly

The real secret of Monkey Island were the friends i left to get eaten by cannibals
Fuck those guys

whats the best way to play all the monkey islands? the only one i played was the PS2 one and that was only for a few hours years ago

Attached: 1647695494343.jpg (983x1600, 388.28K)

>watch a full longplay of LOOM
>still have no earthly idea what was going on

Play Curse and give it an honest effort. It's the most modern feeling one, the most polished, and honestly the best. If you like it, try 1 and 2 but expect games that feel significantly older even if you play the remasters

Yessssss another childhood memory to ruin with an inferior late sequel

He did it properly, it was just that the other plot points were so interesting and well written that when they got unresolved it felt really shitty. I was really invested and just got offended really

SCUMMvm for the first three games, or if you want to play the remakes play with the original graphics.

Remastered edition with old graphics

>Hmm. Guess that isn't a draft.

How hard will Gilbert fuck this up?
I can already see the episodic game.

go back in time to when they came out

>girl programmer in the 80s
pretty pozzed desu

Strike one is the pozzzed artstyle.

1 and 2: gratissaugen.de/ultimatetalkies/
3: ScummVM

What kind of schizo do you need to be to get so triggered like this

don't drink the Yea Forums kool-aid

Question is what are you going to pay?

Attached: jolly_roger.jpg (852x480, 22.5K)

Too bad we'll never see Curse's level of artwork and music again. The game was gorgeous to look at and an absolute pleasure to listen to.

Funniest part: That girl programmer is written to act and talk like a fucking tranny. Not for a second did I believe thats a woman.
There were girl programmers in the 80s though, one of them worked on monkey island even.
They just didnt look and act like that tranny self-insert from thimbleweed park.

Attached: Tami-Borowick-1992.jpg (1920x1317, 723.13K)

Just don't play the remasters cause they kinda suck ass to begin with and MI2SE has issues with newer systems

t. Monkey Island autist

>play the first on SCUMM
>don't look at a guide
>maybe look at a guide

>There were girl programmers in the 80s though, one of them worked on monkey island even.
yeah uh also a person by the name of roberta williams existed but i guess you never heard of her

>low-budget art style out of CalArts
>Flash-style animation

Attached: 1623282437141.jpg (541x541, 102.7K)

I'm buying it because he isnt involved.

if an "AI" did that, then is quite uncanny

>written to act and talk like a fucking tranny
brainworms

Never heard of this before when was the last game?

best adventure games (point/click)?

grim fandango was good but holy shit some puzzles were obscure (a common thing with older adventure games)

day of the tentacle
riven (if you want something even more obtuse but kino)

Guybrush would've been a fun character in Smash Bros. During his attacks he could say some random insult. Could be based

Ehh. I don't have an interest in things him or Schafer make anymore.

1337x.to/torrent/1675408/LucasArts-Adevnture-Games-Collection-V2/

all the classic games in one torrent (well, most)

I liked the Police Quest games, I'm sure no one will agree.

>Flash style animation
Why can't they do pixel art anymore? Why not copiing Deponia style?

Attached: brutal legend.png (640x480, 21.15K)

discworld games were my favourite, but fuck a lot of those puzzles

Did anyone ever mod the remasters so you could have the voice acting with the classic visuals? It was such a weird misstep by the developers for not allowing that.

Sam & Max Hit The Road
Neverhood

Pursuit of Death Angel was quite good

Fate of Atlantis is the best indy adventure ever made.

kings quest series

I remember 7 wouldn't run on my PC ages ago and then I beat it later with a PC like 1000x more powerful.

Quest for Glory. The RPG-elements make it a very unique series, imho.

Attached: 1493253828951.png (634x475, 43.75K)

I hate jack black so much it's unreal

Dust. Cool atmospheric western conversation focused adventure game with many of its puzzles having multiple solutions, and pretty good voice acting for a game from the 1990's.

Attached: dust mayor.jpg (640x480, 35.17K)

that was only a problem with 1, 2 does it out of the box

otherwise see

I'm not a fan of Schafer either, but what are the particulars for you as a matter of curiosity? Recent projects or the stuff from a few years back?

Talented pixel artists aren't common and it's actually slow/expensive unless you're making indie tier trash.
They're clearly going with a low budget style. I can't imagine anyone was willing to throw a lot of money at this.

Looks like kino is back on the menu boys. Time to do a full playthrough of the series.

Dude, I swear they could be toggled freely.

And we dont have lewds of the ghost violinist!

yep

Attached: Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 20-02-01 orpatashnik styleclip – Replicate.png (1908x978, 1.25M)

>kings quest series
>best

Like fuck. They were great noodle scratchers if you wanted a game that would take literal months to complete just from all the saving and reloading you'd end up doing. I think it was 5 where you could easily fuck your entire game by eating a pie that seemingly had no use until 4/5ths of way through the game.

Fuck those games.
I like them too.

in b4 developer sells 500k copies and then announces he's donated 25% of earnings to Feminist Frequency

Attached: bored computer guy.png (493x402, 7.12K)

there are better point/clicks I'm just partial to KQ cause that was one of the first ones I played on an old IBM.

I liked Space Quest more, but they are all great.
FUCK death states though, I hope you saved before that mouse ran across your screen or else you're fucked 2 hours later.

A PIRATE I WAS MEANT TO BE

I've wanted him for ages, but it'd never happen.

Attached: guybrush sails into battle.gif (520x293, 3.58M)

I love point and click adventure games

I'm a little surprised and the first ancient one too.

TRIM THE SAILS AND ROAM THE SEAS

My fears
>Episodic
>Disappointing Ending
>Meh Style

indy and the fate of atlantis is good, but how are the other indy games?

no others worth playing

This, NEVER buying a western game ever again.

Perhaps.

Attached: Gilb.png (611x405, 32.21K)

>Episodic
Nah, I think that format's dead.
Others two are possible, but I kinda like the style in the trailer.

You're not fucking alone.
Since when was he the "rock guy"?
Can't stand him.

YARRRR!

Attached: youll pay nothing.jpg (710x674, 96.4K)

Last Crusade is ok.

Don't bother.
youtu.be/JbS2gZpyywE

I've played through 1 remastered just to see, I can handle a bad style.

You can be a piece of shit and pretend you don't need to know, it's your life, user.

i don't know how it could even come close to 1-3.
I bet he's way past his prime now.

Feminist Frequency can't still exist can it? Surely that phase where every developer had to lick that boot is behind us.

Those are awful.

I have no mouth and i must scream

Attached: AM_hate_xbox.jpg (1212x1080, 120.5K)

please let there not be Monkey Island DLC
please no

I have mixed feelings about Curse being canon. On the one hand, Curse was a great game, and it's cool that Ron Gilbert is respecting it's legacy by including it, but on the other hand, making Return an interquel means we already know how it begins, how it ends and that Guybrush never leaves the cursed amusement park throughout the whole game.

Not NEARLY as awful as how Escape and Tales looked.

If those are awful, then what the fuck is this?

Attached: Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 18-14-17 orpatashnik styleclip – Replicate.png (1849x944, 862.94K)

The game is basically a pointless frolic in its own canon then.

It's the second best pirate theme park I've ever seen!

>Tim Schafer
>Disney effectively hiring in a Microsoft exec.

I've heard crazier things happen, but..

The art director is the Tearaway guy
Not the choice I would made for a Monkey Island but Tearaway had soul, there is no denying that (the game was carried by the visuals alone)

That would be if they had Peter Chan back.
And they won't.
Because he charges A LOT of money for his services these days.

Those weren't low budget styles when they released, though. This looks like a flash game now when it's not even out yet.

It's also better than any of the movies, fight me.

Your mom?

that's a cute ghost skeleton pirate lady

Emperor's Tomb is kino

Both of those looked terrible when they released, regardless of how "expensive" they looked.

We don't really know any of that though. It follows 2 and they're "careful about keeping the other games canon", but there's other ways they could've done that than it being an interquel as you put it.

Was straight up written to be a move script originally, as I heard it, but didn't make it into production.
So it became a game instead.

You mean the 3d games? Dude, they looked so cheap back then I ignored them completely. For me the last MI game was Curse

What is it with indie games and chasing this 'meta' shit? What started it? Was it Undertale? Was it Super Paper Mario?
I just played through Inscryption and the game suffers heavily from trying to do Undertale-esque meta shit when it would have been a damn awesome game if it just kept that crap out.

Attached: 1636379657568.jpg (616x353, 55.69K)

Discworld

WE'RE GOING HOME POINT AND CLICK BROS

Attached: piratechad.png (1673x2160, 2.24M)

Its full of moon logic puzzles.

Riven is alright but some of the screens were hidden too well. And that puzzle with the balls and sounds can go fuck itself.

I only played the free chapter from that last King's Quest game that was 3D with Christopher Lloyd's voice, it was nice, don't know how good the full game is.

Escape looked like a standard 6th gen game. That's what 3D looked like back then. Yes, I think it was trash. But I think the vast majority of 6th gen games were trash because I couldn't stomach 3D until it hit about 7th gen.

As for Tales, it's a bit dated but still par for a game that isn't going for realism. They wanted Pixar and they got shit that looks like a (very) poor imitation.

Meanwhile, with 2D the sky is pretty much the limit. You can have all kinds of art styles but this looks excessively cheap, minimalist and low detail. Like literally playing globohomo art

I'm serious. Only bad parts are the controls and some puzzles are out there.
youtube.com/watch?v=5T8fJlvcecM

Attached: 325320-scooby-doo-mystery-genesis-front-cover.jpg (800x1153, 269.08K)

Attached: machinarium.jpg (1000x1500, 180.03K)

he definitely elected himself to this position without ever informing anyone there was a vote

not sure what you mean by hidden screens
it's the best myst game at any rate

I beat the hotel stage a while ago.
The graphics are great, but the puzzles are dumb. Some are right out of a children's activity book, while others require moon logic.

The Last Express for me. The rotoscopy made everything feel much more cinematic (in the good sense of the word). Gameplay itself was good, its main gimmick is that everything happens in real time so you have limited time for each chapter or you'll get killed or kicked off the train. There are fail states, but they are quick and obvious and IIRC you get checkpoints.

Attached: The_Last_Express.jpg (250x319, 33.71K)

I distinctly remember one or two screen transitions in the forest being so tiny I couldn't find them. I had to look at the guide after I got stuck for hours.

Yeah it's weird isn't it? Undertale at least had something to say with some of the meta elements and I would say they were msotly well done, games like Everhood which have been inspired by it like to shove a 4th wall breaking element just for the sake of it.

>Inventory system
>Guybrush can combine any two items in the game to make a stronger one.
>When items are off, items from MI spawn instead, such as the rubber chicken pulley, the ultimate insult, and a can of diet grog

is the GOG version the best modern version of the old games?
also how worth playing are the other ones?

i just forgot that one existed

Curse is literally the best monkey island. Also how the fuck would it be non-canon if fucking Murray is in the teaser?

It's really a 'pendulum swing' effect. Undertale pulled it off when it was still a relatively unused concept. It had been done before, sure, but it wasn't everywhere and tired. 6 years later every other indie game has meta storytelling and it's just annoying now.

I expect time and space shenanigans.

>also how worth playing are the other ones?
Curse is worth it, and Ron already said he won't decanonize that one. Escape not so much, has it's moments but it's flawed. Tales is alright.

yes and his comeback is great.

They're not worth playing at all, you should basically just stop thinking about them, because clearly thinking for yourself is something you already have difficulty with.

i hope nicole's husband is doing alright

Just play the first one, and if you enjoy it go through all of them. It's not like they're long.

>That's what 3D looked like back then.
The game released in 2000, not in 1996.
The game released one year after shenmue and 2 after soul calibur. There was no excuse for it to look as shit as it did. It certainly looked ugly and outdated even back then.
Source: Me being let down by how ugly and weird the demo was back in the day.

Attached: ryo.jpg (1200x673, 493.76K)

holy shit, ACTUAL monkey island

Attached: 1644620099697.png (257x282, 136.93K)

ron gilbert!! i love you!

youtu.be/pjLrE-JYyyY

Attached: Puerto Pollo.jpg (2099x480, 354.39K)

With Undertale, it also helps that the meta elements aren't exactly literal. Like, Undertale doesn't take place inside a computer game, it's just that non-diegetic mechanics from other games, like continues and saves, are treated as real in the game world.

Attached: chara by sqookii.png (800x803, 453.5K)

Shen Mue was intentionally made to be the best looking game on the market.
99% of games can't be expected to look like that.

Oh, theeeeere's aaaaaa
monkey in my pocket and he's stealing all my change, his stare is blank and glassy, I suspect that he's deranged....

Dios mio...
El Pollo Diablo...

>Trailer animation
looks shit. Why not stick with Thimbleweed Park art style? It was gorgeous.

Everyone's excited, but something tells me it'll be an Xbox exclusive. kek

Escape released after:
Quake 3, unreal tournament, ultima 9, Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K.2, shenmue, soul calibur, ocarina of time, resident evil: code veronica, etc and it looked like a game that would've been barely ok in 1998, even the ultra niche developer B studio developed berserk for dreamcast that released one year earlier shits all over it.

Attached: guts.jpg (1280x720, 99.66K)

Yea Forums hates great games if the devs differ from them politically

You just don't like the art style of the game.

Why Lucasfilm, Devolver and Ron Gilbert would make it Xbox exclusive?

Escape looks better than all the games you mention.

Attached: escape1.png (640x480, 481.33K)

Shen Mue was also going for realism though.
You have to forgive the game for its cartoony aesthetic, that's pretty much set in stone at this point. At the time, what they tried to do in 3D was pretty much the standard. Yeah, there was shit like FFX but those games had enormous budgets

Something in me would love to see a Ron Gilbert Monkey Island game be console exclusive
Just for the laugh

Ah shit, I associate it so much with Schafer I forgot it's still not DoubleFine (they did buy the rights to Full Throttle/Grim/Day of the Tentacle though).

The art style or rather the abscene of one was certainly part of the reason it was just fucking butt ugly to look at other than the fucked up tech.

Attached: 7004-vollbild.jpg (640x480, 98.45K)

No.

Attached: Soul-Calibur-Sega-Dreamcast.jpg (620x464, 76.9K)

If it was fucked up, people wouldn't need to fake screenshots like this. The banana picker isn't even in Act 2.

But what if devs stopped pushing political agendas in their games? I don't give a fuck about which puppet you're voting for, I just want to have fun.

>they did buy the rights to Full Throttle/Grim/Day of the Tentacle though
They didn't, they just worked togheter for the remasters, Disney still owns everything.

Not that user, but Escape really was that ugly.
Yeah, the banana picker isn't until Monkey Island, where things ironically get very, very stupid

>You have to forgive the game for its cartoony aesthetic, that's pretty much set in stone at this point. At the time, what they tried to do in 3D was pretty much the standard. Yeah, there was shit like FFX but those games had enormous budgets
Meanwhile jet set radio did cartoony right during the same era.
Escape had a few fatal flaws. They got rid of Bill Tiller who coined the iconic MI3 look and got some hack with inconsistent copycat art. They used tech that was not suited for the game at all and they half-assed the asset production.

Attached: Jet_Set_RadioScreenshots__2_.jpg (970x545, 87.2K)

But games never do that, especially the ones we are talking about, you are just obsessed. There was one faggot here who was complaining about thimbleweed park, turns out he actually never played the game and left the thread

>there's people unironically defending escape form monkey island's butt fucking ugly art direction
Wow, theres a freak for every perversion, isnt there?
The game is laughably ugly and for using 3D rendered backgrounds they made no effort to use the saved horsepower to make actually nice to look at character models.

Attached: cc015b3680295e3d79a8e2b570839644.jpg (640x480, 60.42K)

reviving old series have never resultet in anything good. people being excited for this will either cope and pretend it's good or be massively disappointed. the only reason to revive an old series it because they have can't come up with any new ideas and have to piggyback off of old classics in a desperate attempt to make money. just look at the latest matrix for example.

I'm full of bad takes today. My bad, user.
It's too bad though. Disney has been sitting on them for too long.

Yep. There's significantly more attention to detail and aesthetic feel in Escape. And keep in mind that this environment can be explored and interacted with - it's not just a pretty backdrop to fight in front of.

Attached: escape2.jpg (640x480, 333.52K)

Sucks that second part was rushed though.

Attached: Toonstruck.jpg (1066x1345, 138.91K)

Thats a official screenshot from the press kit you fucking retard.

Attached: 7005-vollbild.jpg (640x480, 112.24K)

Escape From Monkey Island was during that weird LET'S DO 3D EVERYTHING time around 2000, and the games that would least benefit suffered most, like Monkey Island
Remember when Deus Ex went 3D? That was weird

name of the ai

Its a pre-rendered background you mouthbreathing retard. and if we're going that route FFIX already styles all over it.
At this point you gotta be trolling, or youre legit mentally handicapped.

Attached: 25057-final-fantasy-ix-playstation-screenshot-starting-the-game-as.jpg (640x480, 59.48K)

I fucking HATED that section of Escape.
Those proto-Myst backdrops, and the willy-nilly nature of the puzzles made me drop it.
It really got very abstract, and daft as fuck. Then the Monkey Kombat garbage started.

>No soul
FFIX doesn't style on anything

I even liked the games everyone loves to shit on and this one is even made by the original creators, so I think I'm good, thanks.

Attached: 1400429619428.jpg (527x302, 17.38K)

FFIX just goes the boring realistic route. There's no vision. Escape successfully brings the cartoon bounciness of Curse into 3D.

Attached: escape3.jpg (640x480, 331.27K)

I rather enjoyed MI4's art style and still do.

Are you guys fucking blind? The game looks great.

>globohomo art
It's a pass for me unfortunately as Monkey Island is one of my fav series of all time

Remember when you could send in a thing that Guybrush did to you that he would be accused of in court in 5?
I'm still butthurt that I've got second place and didn't make it in

It's an example of social conditioning. They've learned it's popular to hate Escape, and instead of having an original thought they let the mob dictate their reality.
Escape is easily the nicest looking game of its era.

There was nothing cartoony about Jet Set Radio. It was just celshaded anime.
Compare this picture: notice how there aren't any straight lines and literally everything is curved? This is what cartoony means. It's not realistic. It's fantastical and whimsical. You can fault the game for being shit, I agree. you can even fault it for looking bad, and I still agree, but I'd add the qualifier that this is only because 6th gen was still freshly into 3D rendering and unless you had a game with a huge budget (which a lucasarts game, after grim flopped, decidedly did NOT) it was going to look more or less like this.

Attached: ss_b1266849fa404c16906501b120123482641229f9.1920x1080.jpg (640x480, 45.87K)

The game looks like fucking hot garbage and there's a reason its considered the black sheep of the series and a real fall from grace.
If you got objective shit taste thats a you thing. But lets not pretend your fucking retard nostalgia is a legit measure of visual quality. The game looks rough, the game plays like shit, the puzzles are retarded, the writing is shit.
There's no redeeming it.

Attached: EYtAgpuXkAESbyq.jpg (640x480, 57.27K)

A-user?

Seriously rethink your life.

Escape released a few months before luigi's mansion you fucking retard. Which even did the backgrounds in 3D. There was no excuse for escape to look as shit as it did.

Attached: luigi.jpg (1280x720, 157.51K)

It looks like those movie maker demos you'd get on magazine CDs
That chunky-looking shite that really doesn't translate into Monkey Island's art style
But because 3D was the thing at the time, Escape From Monkey Island and Grim Fandango were crippled by it, just because it was the newest thing

That's not how Candlejack works you f

Escape looks better than this, as shown in the screenshots in thread.

Was Alone in the Dark too far ahead on it's graphics or was Escape from Monkey Island too far behind? I'll let you guys judge.

Attached: alone.jpg (1024x640, 72.12K)

>There was nothing cartoony about Jet Set Radio.
Fucking hell.
I have to share a board with you?

>people unironically defending the art in MI4.
Kinda interested in the demographics here. What could compell someone to do this?

Read the book if you can. I really enjoyed it. The digg well as a novel. Only problem was the forced romance subplot.

That thing you grew up with is always the best one in your mind. I'm just lucky 1 and 2 released pretty close to eachother so I could grow up with both of them.

hey what the hell, what the fuck
i still have to finish monkey island 2 and i never played the fourth game

Never heard of this game, but it looks based. Should I grab an old rom (is it SCUMM?) or is the Steam version good

Holy shit.

But what I really want is to play the old games again...

>but I'd add the qualifier that this is only because 6th gen was still freshly into 3D rendering
You keep saying that, but very niggardly leaving out the actual medium and the time of its release. It used pre-rendered backgrounds and released in 2000, three years after Oddworld and like seven months before Myst 3. We're not talking about Ecstatica here, we're talking about something from the turn of the millennium.

how old are you pal?

Damn, I guess he was able to convince the Mouse after all. Will be interesting to see how the main cast look, since this seems to be going with a style similar to the SE versions of the first two games.

Attached: Elaine cool.png (1122x882, 1.03M)

New KQ is a fresh game. Not scumm at all.

>We're not talking about Ecstatica here
Based Psygnosis poster

Tim's an asshole shitstain, but unfortunately if he's kept on a leash financially he makes good shit.

>acknowledges only the first two games as canon

So this new game will be like Terminator: Genisys, right? People are getting hyped for nothing, that movie sucked dick.

StyleCLIP

Attached: Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 19-27-30 orpatashnik styleclip – Replicate.png (1805x894, 1.45M)

I still say Disney should do more with the series. It's prefect for something like a disney+ animated series or something.
I know it's a huge fucking monkey paw (heh), but still.

Attached: 1615160348772.jpg (375x379, 43.65K)

Like yourself

Attached: Woodruff_et_le_Schnibble_d_Azimuth.png (600x754, 981.64K)

Loo,ing at the replies here I think there are a lot of people here in their mid to late 30s, or have an older brother/father who played the old ones with them.

>It's fucking real
Will we finally learn the secret?

Cartoony means a specific thing to me. Cuphead is cartoony. Princess Mononoke is not cartoony. Both are animation. Googling "cartoony" seems to agree with my impression of the word.

I still enjoyed playing escape from monkey island. It was the second game in the series i played. Having missed revenge and curse. But i still hsd fun. Found the jokes funny, the revisit of locals enjoyable and overall was happy with it. But that was yeara ago. Need to replay and see what i think now.

If they'd allow Ron to be in charge and keep the original game cast, maybe it'd be interesting. But yea, modern Disney is just iffy when it comes to making stuff that isn't woke trash or tries to "fix the mistakes of the original source material"

Attached: LeChuck.jpg (643x483, 41.82K)

He already said the 3rd game is canon too.

Unless Ron has gone full retard and decides he wants to do like ten more games before concluding it, this should be the end. Though I can imagine the ending isn't going o be anything like he originally envisioned, but instead will probably be referenced in an interview you can listen to during the game explaining what the original ending would have been like point for point.