What exactly was Sega of America’s plan with the 32x...

What exactly was Sega of America’s plan with the 32x? Obviously Sega Japan wanted to move on from the genesis but how long did SOA think the 16 bit era would last? Sony made there move in 95 and Nintendo in 96. Were they going to hold out for that long?

Attached: E2829E18-0CB9-45C5-AB94-41A702AD3F47.jpg (2560x1651, 650K)

Just watch the AVGN review. It’s over 10 years old now - twice your age.

I’ve seen the episode but I still don’t see how SOA could see this as a good move even without SOJ screwing them over

They knew the Saturn was going to sell like shit and tried their own solution to profit off their Genesis install base while offering competition for the Jaguar. If Sega of Japan didn't fuck up the design of the Saturn so hard it wouldn't exist.

Sega America was retarded and ruined what Sega Japan tried to do, they refused to bring over highly rated games to the west or they brought hem in extremely limited numbers, and in the case of Panzer Dragoon RPG actually put ads in magazines making jokes about how limited the games were!

>Sega America was retarded and ruined what Sega Japan tried to do
Release an overpriced underpowered console? SoA basically did that too with the 32X.

Saturn was a HUGE hit, the only reason Saturn failed in the west was because a lot of the big name games didn’t come out and they used weird bulky cases instead of standard CD cases

Holy shit I had to look that up. Sega what the fuck was wrong with you?

Attached: 41CB31CF-E3C7-4F77-8DCB-3CA8B55E960A.jpg (897x1200, 392K)

>Saturn was a HUGE hit
The Wii U was more successful.

But why bother with the 32X when the Saturn was on the way? Sega of America was just doing what it could to spite Sega Japan because they thought America was better then Japan

>But why bother with the 32X when the Saturn was on the way?
Because the Saturn was way too expensive. The idea was to have a price reduced option for 32-bit games.

The way I heard it, SoA asked SoJ if the Saturn was still far out enough that the 32X would have time to itself and got the okay.

Then SoJ dropped the Saturn on them anyway.

The 32x wasnt that bad. I had doom and virtuafighter.

Classic Sega of America, doesn’t give a shit abou their fans, look who their CEO around the time the Dreamcast was coming out.
That’s only because the Wii U sold better in the west because Nintendo is more consistent with releasing their big name games overseas. Imagine if Nintendo didn’t put out Zelda games in the west and kept them Japan exclusive.

Attached: FF492814-F522-4AC9-AF57-7C3C6D451A99.jpg (1060x1056, 390K)

>That’s only because the Wii U sold better in the west because Nintendo is more consistent with releasing their big name games overseas.
That doesn't change the fact that the Wii U was a huge flop and it still sold better than the Saturn. Which would make the Saturn quite the flop.

Why not just cut the price of the Mega Drive? I don’t know how Seppo fanboys can defend Sega of America, they fucked up every single time any success they had was pure luck.
Sega of America just didn’t think that the market was ready for a 64 bit console and thought they could milk consumers with an overpriced add on for a dying console

Sega of America are the only reason people even know who Sega are today. Weeaboo apologists need to gas themselves.

SoA isn't THAT bad. At least until they hired Bernie Stolar. Theres a reason they made the Genesis more successful than in Japan. And its SoJ's fault the Playstation was created, not SoA.

The Saturn is only a flop in the mind of westerners. Sega of America just refused to localize big name games like Sakura Wars and refused to make more than a limited run for big hit games like Panzer Dragoon all while trying to market their shitty 32X add on at the same time.
Oh yeah because all those Mark III games in Brazil are really noteworthy
The PS1 was a great console, SCEA was kinda retarded with their 3D policy to try and appear “next gen”

That version of Room had literal fart music and only 15 levels. And I think it was so lazy it actually just went to a command prompt after beating the game.

>Sega of America just refused to localize big name games like Sakura Wars and refused to make more than a limited run for big hit games like Panzer Dragoon

Just Bernie Stolar. I bet most of the rest of the company hated him for it.

And yeah, the PS1 was great, but it was almost a Sega console until SoJ shot it down.

>And I think it was so lazy it actually just went to a command prompt after beating the game.
Only if you used cheats. Which is also the only way to get the BFG.

Sega of America was just one mistake after another

>The Saturn is only a flop in the mind of westerners
It is a flop as it was released globally and sold worse than the Wii U. You aren't Japanese and you never will be. We aren't talking about muh glorious nation of nippon here. Sakura Wars wouldn't sell more than 10K copies in the west and PDS was never going to be a hit when it came out on the Saturn in 1998, the system was completely dead by that point and so was the 32X for that matter.

And some of those were because of mandates from Japan, who did everything they could to undermine the US branch.

SoA wasn't perfect, but don't act like everything was 100% their fault.

I spend about a third of the year in Japan but that’s irrelevant to this discussion, the Saturn had more games than even the N64, just westerners never got exposed to these games so they just don’t care and brush off the console.
Sega of America was mentally retarded, they tried to convince the journalists the 32X was worth it by holding a huge party at a night club in San Francisco
They fragmented their own market instead of focusing purely on the Saturn which was outselling they PlayStation in Japan, imagine you want to pick up Virtua Fighter would you buy a brand new Saturn for it or just get the 32X which was cheaper? Sega of America defenders have to be mentally retarded

As soon as the PS drop the Saturns numbers tank in Japan.

Nope, the Saturn outsold the PS1 for a while

>the Saturn had more games than even the N64, just westerners never got exposed to these games so they just don’t care and brush off the console.
Quality > quantity. They're mostly right to brush off the console, it was a flop with few games. Also Sega of America were responsible for Sega's most successful console while Sega of Japan were responsible for the system that forced them out of the console industry.

>the Saturn outsold the PS1 for a while
Only in your dreams.

Are you willfully ignoring every documentation and all data of that time?

Look it up, it’s true
Oh yeah, I’m not denying that the N64 is superior but just because you’re too dumb to play all the exclusives on Saturn doesn’t mean those games don’t exist.
Sega of America also fucked up the Saturn because their 32X used the same resources the Saturn did which meant they couldn’t manufacture as many, also the earlier than planned launch pissed off some US retailers for some reason so they refused to do business with Sega which doesn’t make sense but I guess it’s an American thing.

Here you go

Attached: 8D821E81-A9D5-4680-8758-3E0B4FC9BF3C.jpg (1536x230, 155K)

>just because you’re too dumb to play all the exclusives on Saturn doesn’t mean those games don’t exist.
There are so few Saturn exclusives worth playing. It's why the system sold like shit.

It only sold like shit in the west, which is an irrelevant market. FIFA and NHL sales don’t matter

>It only sold like shit in the west, which is an irrelevant market.
So irrelevant Sega is still making consoles for the Japanese market today in fact. Oh wait that's not true and you're a delusional weeb tard lmao.

Sega of America cost them all their money, besides they’re still in the arcade business, the only Nintendo games I see in the arcade are Pokémon Go and Mario Kart

>Sega of America cost them all their money
Yeah with that shitty Saturn they made, oh wait...
>besides they’re still in the arcade business
And business is booming.

I bet you think the vita was a huge hit in Japan too, don't you?

Saturn sold great, and yup arcades are doing well enough literally every mall has one not as big as back in the day but they’re still relatively popular

Attached: A2186605-4388-40BE-A9E0-A74CADE0EF20.jpg (1257x1429, 563K)

SoA's plan can be summed up as "Fuck You".

It sold better than the N64 or GameCube, I still see Vita games being sold in places like Bic so it must be doing okay

SEGATA SANSHIRO

>Saturn sold great
It just barely did better than the N64 in Japan, a system that is notorious for it's poor sales in Japan.

I have two of these. One of them was a hand-me-down from my cousins.

Approximately 1,500 copies of Spider-Man Web of Fire were ever in existence, which the cartridge alone is worth several hundreds of dollars. I too, got that game as a hand-me-down.

>weebs thinking SoJ dindu nuffin
They refused the more powerful, simpler N64 hardware when offered it and instead insisted on their 8 processer meme arch.
They wanted SoA to make the 32X to compete with the fucking Atari Jaguar
They did shit out of spite towards SoA because the Genesis was a huge success in the USA but bombed in JPN

SoJ is just as much at fault

Exactly this
>Saturn is selling well? We’ll make a competitor system that uses the same resources to manufacture it
>these games are a big hit? We don’t want to localize them
>oh no journalists are giving the 32X bad reviews, I know let’s rent a night club in San Francisco and fly them all over here to party with us that will convince them 32X doesn’t suck
Yeah but nobody would call the N64 a failure the only reason Saturn is a “failure” is because brain dead westerners can’t play some of the biggest games on the system

The Saturn is a failure on an objective level in terms of sales. Don't put failure in quotes there.

Oh yes, cant wait to buy those censored ports of pc visual novels or shittier versions of ps4 games.

Attached: 1575586746622.gif (408x225, 1.76M)

Nah, it’s in 16th place for the best selling console. That’s not bad, PlayStation and Nintendo dominate the list you’re never going to get numbers like them but the PS4 only sold 3 million more than the Saturn, would you call the PS4 a failure? It’s literally on the same level as PC Engine

I’m not a big fan of the Vita either

>it’s in 16th place for the best selling console. That’s not bad
>16th place
>that's not bad
I actually laughed out loud. That is funny.

>muh Japan!!!!

Besides the PC Engine which sold 8 million (800,00 less than the PS4) every other console on the top 15 is made by either Sony or Nintendo. Like I said, they dominate the market and nobody is gonna get the double digit sales numbers they get.
Yup, these are Japanese companies we play Japanese games. The west just wants the newest COD or NHL and FIFA game sales there don’t count

You will never be Japanese.

holy weeb cope
US is the only relevant region

What is it about this country that triggers you idiots so much? Was your grandma a comfort woman or something?
If you hate japan so much stick to your Xbox and Seppo trash games

You will never be Japanese.

Still trying to justify your family immigrating there Paco? Just accept that nigger infested shithole sucks

That’s okay, I still like it here

I feel sorry for the Japanese that have to deal with weebcucks entering their country.

SEGA of america & SEGA Japan fucking HATED each other. I wouldn't be surprised if they made this to fail on purpose.

Attached: so sad.jpg (535x400, 50K)

It’s okay, my girlfriend and her family like me

I can only imagine the immense disappointment her parents feel. A Jap bringing home a white is like a white bringing home a dindu.

I just told them I hate Koreans and Chinese and her dad laughed

You know when I came into this thread I didn't expect to feel pity for old Japanese people.

Only a fool thinks SOA is blameless

based