Spin-off is better than the original

>spin-off is better than the original
Are there any examples of this in video games?

Attached: spinoffs.png (1198x288, 283K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x6unf1w
youtube.com/watch?v=yum0MSXWltc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Persona

Pic unrelated

>Frasier
>better than Cheers
Not on your life. He's even a better character on Cheers.

Crysis warhead
FEAR:Extraction Point (but not by much)
Trails of Cold Steel
Red Faction Guerilla
Stalker: Call of Pripyat
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Warhammer 40k: Space Marine
Bioshock
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon

Attached: 1577243465115.gif (180x244, 1.15M)

Protip: You can not argue this.

Attached: Atlus[1].jpg (1200x747, 142K)

bn

faggot retardnigger

Wario Land 3/4>Any 2D Mario game

ok coomer

>Angel
>Better than Buffy
No sell, mate. 70% of Angel is weird fucking cringe shit. There's some very solid and good moments too, I'll give you that. But the whole fucking deal with Angel's son, Cordelia and the strange cult arc... man, that's some real fucking stupid shit.

red alert

Rune Factory and arguably Nier.

Persona is significantly worse than SMT in nearly every conceivable way.

>cold steel
>Bioshock
Retard. Both of those are straight downgrades in every way.

You could argue the climax of Jimmy and Chuck's relationship in season 3 is superior than breaking bad, outside of that the show is very heavy on repetitive fluff and lame prequel wank.

Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon, unironicly. Mainline is consigned to staying with anime tropes, whilst PMD has had a greater degree in freedom how the story may go.

That's the only part of Angel that's shitty, and I do agree that it drags and isn't handled well, but that last season was awesome. Buffy on the other hand was pure cringe post resurrection, and especially the last season.

Then why come they were better?

It's more character driven and all the characters are better.
Breaking Bad is drama driven.

Gus for instance is an actual person in BCS, in BB he's just a stand in antagonist

>>spin-off is better than the original
>Are there any examples of this in video games?

I'm not sure how Styx wasn't the first reply. Maybe because people don't even realize this stealth game is a spin-off prequel to the forgettable role-playing game Of Orcs And Men.

Attached: Screenshot_2020-03-01 Styx Master of Shadows - Wikipedia.png (622x344, 173K)

I was turned off by this game because it's ad kept coming up every time I upgraded my drivers.

Those are mostly sequels, not spinoffs.

A spin-off would be something like Nier.

>Bioshock
That's not a spin-off. It doesn't take place in the same universe as any game that came before it. It's a spiritual successor to System Shock but that's not what spin-off means.
>Crysis warhead
>FEAR:Extraction Point (but not by much)
>Stalker: Call of Pripyat
Does a new entry in a series really count as a spin-off just because you play as a different protagonist?
>Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
This I would consider to be a spin-off, because of the genre change.
>Warhammer 40k: Space Marine
Maybe this one too, if you're saying it's a spin-off of the strategy game series, but Warhammer didn't originate with video games and it has a lot of games in different genres, so I'm not even sure if any non-strategy Warhammer game should really be considered a spin-off.

Sekiro

Newest season of Better Call Saul is fucking kino. I think it is actually starting to eclipse Breaking Bad at this point.

...which is a spin-off of what? I thought it was just a new IP.

5 was so terrible it retroactively ruined the series for me.

It's a spin off of Japan

my mistake then

BB is more kino but BCS has better characters. I might be in the minority on this but I think Chuck was a much better antagonist than anyone from BB, even Gus.

soulsborne dumbass

Chuck felt like an Ace Attorney villain, he was the perfect character

Despite it being simple, this is still my favorite joke I've seen on TV.
>Daphne gets an eating problem and becomes overweight
>falls to the ground and can't get up
>Frasier goes to help her up
>can't do it so he hails for Niles
>they both can't lift her so they call for the dad
>finally they lift her up
>dad says it took 3 Cranes to lift you!

Attached: .jpg (701x495, 150K)

Tell me this is real. I've been making my way through the show and love it so far, but I only got up to season 5 or 6 I think.

Episode is "Hungry Heart".

Found it
dailymotion.com/video/x6unf1w
05:46-08:50

kek

He’s lying, it’s not true

But user, the later season has some of the best stuff in it. Dark Willow, musical episode, all that good shit. Last season falls off a little, I admit that.

You're not true man.

It has some great shit like Tabula Rasa too, but overall the whole shows tone shift and Buffy becoming even more of a drag was lame. That and trying to make Spike seem like a rapist for no reason other than to have a redemption arc were two serious down points for Buffy. I'll probably never watch the last season of Buffy again when I get around to rewatching, honestly.

I got the order wrong but it's real

This but Devil Survivor

Attached: 1526058955005.jpg (581x501, 164K)

i want to see the new bcs season so bad

Attached: 70A2771227D845EF860238A55A3CDFE0.png (124x128, 21K)

I want to have sex with Roz.

Nier Automata is better than Nier, which is better than Drakengard

FFT
FFTA
FFTA2

Attached: 1582201585363.jpg (1253x1830, 1.47M)

Oh GOD my fucking balls, I love all three.

Always loved the art for Tactics. Shame I was always such shit at it.

youtube.com/watch?v=yum0MSXWltc
Almost perfect but he fucked up the breakdown

The real goal of Tactics isn't strategy, it's breaking the game in half and making it to where one character can kill the entire enemy team alone. People make the mistake of thinking it's about a "team"

I own the original so I'll eventually give it another shot.

Breaking Bad is obviously better than BCS

God, I love that fucking show.
I really wish Black Frasier from 30 Rock was a real thing.

Attached: Interesting glasses.png (701x701, 862K)

The mechanics are very easy to abuse and actually make replaying the game too easy, I wish I could go back in blind again. There's tons of useless shit, and on the other end, tons of broken shit. Still a lot of fun if you don't know anything, but the experience system and JP system lend to ez cheese.

last season had potential but had shit pacing

you don't even find out what the fuck is up with the potentials for ages, and Caleb only shows up near the very end despite potentially being a great rival for Buffy.

imagine being this fucking tasteless

Nier>Drakengard

Attached: NieR_Kain%3F.png (514x773, 155K)

Gus is the only part of BCS that is worse than BB. In BB he worked because he was borderline inhuman and you very rarely got insight into who he was as a person until very late after meeting him. In BCS we basically only see him fucking up and making mistakes, which just makes him look like your average shmuck. Every other character stands on their own, but BCS Gus only works by piggybacking off of BB Gus.

I mean, like most other characters, he's getting to that point of immortality.I get when you add in the human element that it messes up some characters but I haven't felt that in regards to Gus, let alone most the cast. I love the slowburn of it all, getting to the point of BB.

I'm also super annoyed I don't have cable anymore, but my friends gonna add it to his plex server soon.

Practically every single Mega Man Spin off, though some (like battle network) are so different that it's like comparing apples to oranges.
Battle Network is still my favorite though.
Nier Automata = Nier >>>>>>>>>>The entire drakengard series.

>BCS
>better than Breaking Bad
ok retard

>Better Call Saul better than Breaking Bad

Is this actually the case? I watched up through the season finale where Chuck got butthurt and killed himself. It was good but not as good as BrBa. Issue I had with BCS was that it was a bunch of unrelated plot threads whose only ties and significance mainly came down to "hey remember this character from BrBa?" Not that any of the plot threads were bad, because they were all good, but it just didn't feel as cohesive and focused.

Not OP, but there are a lot of elements of it I prefer more. And it's pretty underrated overall, but yeah, BB is the much better show.

>Is this actually the case?
Sort of. It never hits the highs, but it also never comes anywhere near the lows.

>All these Breaking Bad plebs

Attached: BCS filtered2.png (1000x591, 106K)

>the flashback in black and white
kek
my favorite moment in the show is still jimmy crying to the insurance person

>Splinter Cell: Conviction

haha you wish that was a spin off

It's aping Sopranos in that it's almost entirely character driven, but during such a shitty TV drought for years, it's about the only thing that could be considered "intelligent" by TV standards. It's fine for what it is, but if it had competition, it'd get swept under the rug.

S5 of BCS so far is actually better than Breaking Bad. S1 - 4 have been boring as fuck though. One of the episodes was just Mike dismantling a car for 20 fucking minutes.

Why would you watch 4 seasons of a show that's that boring if you didn't enjoy it?

recently rewatched this scene, absolutely kino

Sopranos was character driven, but it still had a forward-moving plot each season. In general, the beginning of each season set up an overarching plot that was carried through conclusion at the finale. And the weaker seasons were the ones where this was less the case.

A show that truly felt like nothing ever happens, imo, was Mad Men.

because BB was so good that I was hoping BCS would eventually click. And I was eventually right.

I'm actually watching S5e01 now. AMC has it available for free. BW scene is already tense.

the appeal of Mad Men was to watch just how hard and how often someone could blow up their own life

and also to watch Pete get dunked on by everyone and everything

Sopranos did have the mini arcs in each season but they mostly meandered about and things influenced what was set up here and there. You're right though, Mad Men was more of a "nothing happens" regarding plot show. Either way you go, I think BCS is fine, but would've been overshadowed in earlier years.

>Better Call Saul is godlike for like the first 3 seasons.
>Then it bleeds into the setup for BB and gets worse and less interesting when Jimmy isn't even the focus for half the 4th season.

Well it was fun well it lasted. I mean i liked BB but i just loved BCS alot more felt wholesome.

Attached: Call Sol.jpg (599x307, 64K)

I want to be DOMINATED by Kim.

Shit happens in Mad Men. Its just the sort of real shit people pick up and move on from. That was the problem and why Dons ending with actually getting help is sorta impactful. Because he never did that before and getting help just doesn't end. The whole ending sequence for most of the cast is a big leap and not just a step backwards.

It hasn't been long enough for me to rewatch the show but by god Mad Men is one of the best series ever made.

Cheers is a better show but Frasier is comfier

Attached: 1522481375403.jpg (500x375, 27K)

Of all the good shit AMC has been putting out, it's so hilarious to me how much they managed to drop the ball on Walking Dead. I guess that one got too big for it's own good.

Things happen but not in a dramatic plotline sense. There's nothing wrong with either type of writing, but in regards to picking out seasonal arcs etc, Mad Men wouldn't be so easily defined. It has individual character arcs, but no "driving force", more of a fly on the wall of people's lives than sitting down to watch a story be told.

Walking Dead had the disadvantage of becoming popular among nerds rather than "regular" people

>Persona is significantly worse than SMT in nearly every conceivable way.
It's better but you're a tryhard who wants to seem intellectual by being contrary.

What's even funnier about Walking Dead is that they have a surprisingly solid comic to draw DIRECTLY FROM and yet decided to change the story for no discernible reason, while leaving in plot points that they already ruined earlier in the series. They cut arcs, yet still had the conclusions to them. It's hilariously poorly done, to the point of it seeming like a joke to show that people will just watch any old trash.

Cheers is fucking boring and dated, stuck in the 80s style of sitcom narrative. Frasier was an evolutionary show that deserves all of its praise.

I like Kim but I dislike how they redo the "Kim is falling out of love with Jimmy" story every single season. It seems like they've been teasing that since late Season 2, and it only started in early Season 2 in the first place.

Walking Dead was one of the most talked about shows by all the normalfags I knew for the first several seasons. I don't know a single "nerd", beyond the "nerd chic" crowd that watched it.

I never said Mad Men was bad, just that it's not a show where there's a real plot driving things forward. It's more "slice of life" stuff. Which is fine if you're into that.

But going back to Breaking Bad, I think part of the issue is that Breaking Bad was a very plot-driven fast-paced show where things were constantly progressing. So that makes BCS's shift seem stranger because there are certain expectations.

Daphne is nice. And they both have Lilith.

>Rune Factory
LMAOing @ yer life bud

It was evolutionary at the time but shows that copied Frasier later on did it better. It's important to television history but not something I'm going to rewatch.

Geometry Wars was a minigame in Project Gotham Racing 2 but spun off into a popular series.

Attached: Geometry Wars.jpg (512x387, 61K)

this, the only nerds I saw who ever gave a shit about it only did so because they loved the comics.

Cheers' cast is awful, though
Frasier is great even during the later seasons where the writing faultered.
Oh look, Rhea Perlman is yelling at everybody, AGAIN, lmao BAZINGA got ya Sam
Don't even fucking get me started on Kirsty Alley, Jesus Christ

I like Cheers, but they played up people being annoying and grating as though it was funny way too much. I also don't understand the whole obsession with the "will they won't they" plotline that people always mention in terms of "television history" from the first couple of seasons.

I mean if anything it demonstrates how manipulative Jimmy is. That he's willing to even use the one person who genuinely loves him.

>Gus appears on screen
Seriously the fucking cartel shit is so bad.

Attached: istockphoto-468620290-640x640.jpg (640x360, 19K)

Couldn't make it through one season of Better Call Saul, boring shit.

The entire Final Fantasy series

It's the inherent problem with prequels. You know things have to result in the status quo at the beginning of the original series and conform to whatever backstory the original series laid out, so you know there isn't going to be much interesting happening and you know exactly how everything will end up. The result is that all most prequels ever really do is fill in some background fluff.

Only reason it works decently for Jimmy's storyarc is because his past wasn't relevant at all to Breaking Bad in the same way that Gus and Mike's was, so there was room to tell a story.

>ywn play Psone with prime Bebe in the '90s

Attached: imageproxy.png (512x384, 216K)

>It's all good, man!

Attached: impact.gif (600x338, 2.99M)

king of queens was better than seinfeld dont @ me

Attached: 1539111510994.jpg (1280x720, 128K)

I agree with all of that, but my main problem with the cartel shit is that Gus just isn't that interesting. Part of why I enjoyed him in Breaking Bad was because of the mystery surrounding his past and what he's done. It wasn't worth doing and it takes a lot of focus away from Jimmy's storyline. Mike is okay, watching his transformation into who he became come Breaking Bad syncs up very well with Jimmy. But most of the cartel shit is just fan service-y garbage like "wow! so thats where hector got his bell! i clapped!"

That's my whole point. the cartel storyline in BCS is boring because by its very nature as a prequel, there can't be anything significant happening. The show would've been better off without it, but they felt the need to include a bunch of screen time dedicated to meth gang shit because "lmao its breaking bad gotta have gus and mike".

They should've been cameos and nothing more.

Nacho is interesting at the very least. Most of which because he's new to this story. Plus the actor playing him in general is fantastic.

That's true, but his story still loses steam and grinds to a poorly-paced halt due to the fact that it's tied up with Gus, Mike, etc and therefore can't go anywhere significant.

better style (graphics, music, art style) but SMT has better substance (story, gameplay)

I can see that. I think it's a bit predictable that he more or less will probably be responsible for Gus' rise.