At what point did you realize Rain World was a masterpiece?

At what point did you realize Rain World was a masterpiece?

Attached: What is Rain.gif (296x212, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G9jZ8Spe86M
youtube.com/watch?v=02jugX1B5M4
youtube.com/watch?v=KuHxDjeAXVk
youtube.com/watch?v=FpXAGG7RaXY
docs.google.com/document/d/1o3gouaiHsHT2H9d2HD5gDhgmoWwoL94gSFt7Ka1-vDk/edit
youtube.com/watch?v=XXJvNRuuWQM
youtube.com/watch?v=avlavMjis28
youtu.be/vOS-GfoalTI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Around the time I got to Five Pebbles. The area, not the guy. Overcoming the Leg and the Underhang was what did it for me.

I think the moment it really hit me was the empty cityscape on top of Five Pebbles. That's what really kicked off the realization. It was like the fascination everyone had as a kid at the weird skyboxes in Super Mario 64, but then you can actually dig deeper and find out there's a whole history explaining everything.

Around the time after the first week it went from over 100k "players" to about 8k players, streamers stopped streaming it and giving "prizes" if people played with them, the dev admitted he gave out four free keys with each purchase and still counted those keys and refunds as part of the one million sold in the first month

I didn't.
But I still had a ton of fun with it.

>if people played with them
user...? Are you alright?

Its an interesting game but its just not that fun to play

General System Bus of course.

when i saw the flies you hunt trying to hunt their own tinier bugs

Defend this area.

Attached: ChimneyCanopy_Map_fixed.png (826x800, 54K)

Why would I?

Memory Graves. Also, what is the name of the area where the giant black spaghetti creature appears?

Based.

what the fuck was his problem?

Attached: fruity pebbles.png (359x365, 93K)

Weirdly enough it was right during the memory crypt. I'm not sure why this short linear area made me realize the adventure was happening to me and not to my character.

I feel bad for all the people who had such a hard time getting through Unfortunate Development. I always had my trusty grappling worm with me so I just swung over the blue core and it was a piece of cake.

Based, it was Memory Crypts for me too. Or rather the whole run from Memory Crypts > The Leg/Overhang > 5P

Still currently learning, the time limitation stresses me out and I got filtered by the Citadel. Was recommended to head back through IC to Shoreline so hopefully I'll find that and be on my way.

Attached: 1562533172036.gif (150x195, 298K)

>the time limitation
Why in the unholy fuck are you playing Hunter if you're still learning?

I think he's referring to the time limit on each cycle, rather than Hunter's super aids.

Yes

he's talking about the cycle timer
you don't even get the option to play as hunter until you beat the game

Attached: Rain World - Deep in the depths.webm (960x540, 2.16M)

Shit, I'm retarded.

but what was the point

Why are the stupid deer so uncooperative? And the leech grass seem to have a 50% chance to kill me whenever I enter the tunnel to progress in Farm Arrays.

5p

It's a crossroad

Underhang

Attached: tentacles.webm (1118x780, 2.95M)

A lifetime of suicidal thoughts

I JUST finished the leg/underhang area. I can easily say it was the hardest area of the whole game so far. Just resting now after entering the five pebbles area, this game is both amazing and infuriating

Attached: 1582073579970.jpg (396x521, 14K)

Around the time I was exploring Industrial
>game is finally starting to click
>coming across vultures for the first time and hearing that spooky ass threat music kick in
>interacting with scavs for the first time
>narrowly managed to escape from the rain for the first time, which was fucking INTENSE
>ALL SORTS OF COOL INTERACTIONS

And it only got better from there

Attached: 1491945832671.jpg (960x960, 100K)

From the start.
youtube.com/watch?v=02jugX1B5M4

Attached: 1580161347500.gif (300x130, 131K)

Bottom area is a fun lizard/scav battlefield.
You can find a grapple worm there.
youtube.com/watch?v=KuHxDjeAXVk

would be more fun if it was multiplayer
especially a large server where all players are free to spread across the world
the only issues with that are having to wait until the rain comes when you want to sleep

Anyone got the Rain World version of this? I can't find it anymore.

Attached: horrifying.jpg (600x595, 64K)

youtube.com/watch?v=FpXAGG7RaXY
when this music kicked in it just cemented this game as one of the all time indie greats for me

Attached: 1563066546171.jpg (720x507, 22K)

This includes more scenes than I remember

I got lost in the filtration system from outskirts and spent hours in subterranean in my first playthrough. Finally finding my way out of that hell hole was what did it for me.

For me it was this and the whole sequence leading up to 5P

Attached: Rain World Zero Gravity.webm (720x405, 1.55M)

Legit, happened to me too, but after not finding a habitat in Subterranean and dying, I opted to just do a full restart than try and find my way in the dark again.

Attached: 1548738460077.png (500x500, 45K)

For reference I'm more or less here and having a bit of trouble getting back out

Attached: shadedshitadel.jpg (2560x1440, 226K)

Very much appreciated.

You'll just have to wait for the sequel.
>Rain Royale
>You and 99 other Slugcats are in a large arena of connected rooms
>Survival of the fittest shall rule
>There is not enough food for everyone to survive
>Time is limited
>Enemies are everywhere
>After each Cycle, random rooms on the outer edge will be bathed in a red light and alarm, signaling that they will collapse during the next rain and become inaccessible, instantly killing anyone who uses a Habitat in one of these zones
>The only place you are ever truly safe is in a Habitat, where you lose your ability to throw objects
>Of course, if 2 or more Slugcats end up sharing a Habitat, escape will prove challenging for all because anyone can emerge after you and immediately stab you in the back
>If you go 2 Cycles without eating eating enough for a hibernation, you will die of starvation
>May the best pipe cleaner win

You have a light source with you...right?

I think The Wall after going through Shaded Citadel > Memory Crypts. Reaching the top was a great feeling and getting to FP the 'easy' way was a good reward. Befriending scavs and learning to slaughter lizards was great as well.
Funnily enough I never found Moon, went through FP or Chimeny Canopy.

>I think the moment it really hit me was the empty cityscape on top of Five Pebbles. That's what really kicked off the realization. It was like the fascination everyone had as a kid at the weird skyboxes in Super Mario 64, but then you can actually dig deeper and find out there's a whole history explaining everything.
I've never had trouble with the deers. The leech grass are awful though. I hate the feeling of being slowly pulled in and consumed with no chance of escape because they slightly grazed slugcat's ankle.

That's about what I expected.
Shaded is a shitty location and you'll suffer a long time if you don't get lucky.
Your goal is to either get to the Shore, which is somewhere in the upper right or to the memory Crypt which is somewhere in the lower left.
Good luck.

I had to format my PC but my retarded "friend" chose the wrong hard drive when I wasn't looking and I lost my save files. I had already gone through unfortunate shitbitch and underhang and was on my way to farm arrays and had already given about ten colored pearls to moon by the time it happened
give me one reason to play this shit again

Attached: 1580694363125.gif (400x286, 1.55M)

The ending is fucking incredible and worth all the hardship

that sounds stressful
you're a red slugcat irl aren't you?
I just want a comfy yellow slugcat time with other slugcats

don't forget the it's the devs who make these threads to shill
it's a good game, if a little frustrating and poorly directed under the guise of exploration-orientedness, and the movement skill ceiling is real shit
but these threads are so fake and goony I just wish they'd stop

I don't blame you. If I didn't play in short bursts during my time there, I probably would have been frustrated enough to restart. I will say that spending so much time there made most of the game a lot more manageable for me. At least until I hit the leg.

Here's your reason:
Unfortunate Development is entirely optional and so is Underhang

I had a lot of fun on that part, it was where slugcat became the hero of the scavs and terror of vultures

I dont have to, its one of the best ones

Nope
Overseer's pointing right, so I'll try that way. Thanks.

Attached: shadedshitadel2.jpg (2560x1440, 67K)

Navigate via map, don't go further down into the spider rape caves. I made it through there my first playthrough without a light, you can do it too.

Actually became surprisingly comfy once I befriended the scavs and made it to the top.

Attempting to do so, I actually made it out the first time and fell, this time got chomped by something glowing yellow. Map is super helpful.

Attached: getout.jpg (2560x1440, 285K)

Attached: Rain World - Overkill.webm (1280x720, 2.43M)

>even the squidcada got in on the fun

One of the most fun areas to genocide on Hunter, it's a giant fucking warzone, the bottom area just becomes a mess of spiders and lizards and scavs just fighting to the death

>want to drop thing to eat flower
>spear overseer
Probably not good, huh

>Trying to transverse the wastes going to shoreline
>Three fucking vultures gather around me
>Out of nowhere squidcada flies through the ambush
>Grab it and jump to safety
Squidcadas are Bros, always save them when the leeches try to drown them

I'm getting my anus destroyed by Sky Islands. This would be so much easier if I hadn't panicked while I was inside Five Pebbles and thrown my grapple hook grub-thing buddy away

I miss him so much.

Attached: 1576999412804.png (200x300, 16K)

Learn how to roll jump, it really helps out with traversal there. You can roll jump over many of the gaps that you'd otherwise need a squidcada for.

I have the completionist autism
an arena item is enough to force me to swim through a leviathan pond to grab it

When I was too fucking bad to finish it, but still defended the shit out of it. To this day im still mad that I can't get into the difficulty of that game, but god damn if it isn't charming as fuck.

>I just want a comfy yellow slugcat time with other slugcats
Speaking of which, I feel like I should restart. The combat is filtering me so hard. I like the rest of the game though.

Roll jump? Are there yet techniques I haven't uncovered? When does it end?

To be honest I'm considering just going back to Chimney Canopy and trying to look for an alternate route. Can I do that or is it mandatory to get past Sky Islands?

Attached: 1559735994125.gif (733x159, 286K)

what the fuck

Oh, that. I found that to be insanely hard to do, and thus pretty much useless. If you're telling you need to be so good with the controls as to be able to consistently pull shit like this to progress then I simply can't beat the game with my arthritic ass shitty fingers.

Hey retard, the illiterate dumbass you're replying to seems to think this is a Risk of Rain 2 thread.

Please enjoy
docs.google.com/document/d/1o3gouaiHsHT2H9d2HD5gDhgmoWwoL94gSFt7Ka1-vDk/edit

No, barely any of the more difficult movement mechanics are in any way required to beat the game.
Really just there for people that want that extra level of control

I want to FUCK slugcat!

Oh, alrighty then. I'll try to at least fucking reach a hibernation chamber in Sky Islands, and if I can't manage even that then I'll just go back to Chimney Canopy and try to either find a new grapple friend or a new route.

Attached: Rain World Problem Solving.webm (962x542, 2.34M)

I suspected it around The Underhang and knew at Five Pebbles. It's easily one of the greatest sequences in any game.

Rain world has no multiplayer dumbass, what the fuck are you talking about?

When you face moon for the first time, this game has really special NPC's a shame it doesn't have many, heck, this game is very special actually.
Sequel when?

I bet it feels slimy, like when you put your dick in a zucchini.

>Everything needs a sequel
Based zoomer.

At least a DLC, it deserves it.

Attached: 1580166891300.png (400x288, 67K)

>no co-op where you try to keep your retarded kids alive with your friend

just watching the enemies interact with eachother. Its really fascinating

You don't need any hidden move, all you need is a squidcada for those long jumps and Sky islands is actually super short.

Attached: scavengers interaction.webm (1000x563, 595K)

There's a mod for co-op. It's only local, but with Steam's new feature, you can play local multiplayer with people online. It's how I've been playing Rain World, I don't even own it. Just regular co-oping with a friend or two.
It's often very tough to keep everyone alive, or at least dying in a way that leaves a body that the others can drag to the nearest shelter.

Attached: Rain World - The exterior.webm (1920x1080, 1.72M)

That's some interaction alright.

the hard life of a neuron runner

Attached: double vultures.webm (1242x698, 2.89M)

fucking retard, did you even read the name of the fucking game before typing that?

Attached: 1576614722225.png (624x642, 378K)

Holy based.

To be fair, in Rain World there is constant Risk of Rain 2.

Attached: 1582745499113.jpg (750x797, 421K)

Imagine a crossover.

not as based as your mom was yesterday, bouncing on my dick

Reminder that all scabs are niggers and you should kill them all.

Attached: 12354687.gif (264x240, 2.64M)

Attached: Rain World - Falling lizard.webm (960x540, 499K)

Attached: 1553803236440.png (461x427, 23K)

Damn, what a pro.

5 hours in I still haven't realized that.
I hope I can force myself to go back to it.

It's my favorite area.

Absolutely. That area is some shit. The fact that you realise it stopped raining altogether for a while because youre above the clouds was something else.

When i saw their thread on tigsource,

After I uninstalled and refunded it. How can you hoax a player to enjoy it.

based, I too member when the dev would post progress updates with cool gifs

Memory Crypts, those chomping bastards were terrifying.

When I bought it
I'm terrible at it though

I will never be able to stop thinking about this game while playing other games, it just changed the way I see video games in general.

This but unironically.

Exact same here

I just finished this game yesterday, get out of my head user
Finally reaching the top of the Wall and finding the echo and is what sealed the deal for me. Exactly that feeling of fascination too.

LOL you dumbass

just eat some shrooms and everything will be okay

Attached: DoDrugsKids.webm (1280x720, 2.15M)

is rain world peak video games?

Attached: tkmiz.jpg (1920x1080, 324K)

Attached: rain world gun.webm (364x278, 883K)

Great shortcut for Chads who want to skip Moon Onee-san and climb up the wall to get to 5P within thirty minutes of starting the game

I don't know about peak, but it was easily the best game of the 10s.

Yes.

surviving a missed jump

Attached: Rain World - The great jump.webm (1920x1080, 817K)

Saw my first rainbow there, after a night in the shelter in the center of the map.
But fuck those worms that take your explosive spears and fuck the chimneytops for looking like you can jump from one to the other BUT YOU CAN'T

>Need to return from drainage system to shoreline
>Get to the segment where you need to stick spears to the wall to make a ladder
>Scavs keep taking them and throwing them at me, in turn making them fall off the screen
Also I didn't know they could take the "tutorial" pearl themselves

>cycle number
Something you wanna tell us, user?

it can take several months.

Attached: a complete train of thought.webm (960x540, 2.14M)

>tfw the grappling worm is powerful enough to stick daddy long legs and they can’t move away from it

Attached: Rain World - Boom.webm (900x150, 469K)

>ywn fuck a scavenger
Why live?

Stop talking about the worm I miss him so much

Attached: 1555784848255.jpg (540x545, 27K)

Attached: grapple worm.webm (988x722, 2.94M)

>Random Gods starts playing

The moment I saw a 7 second webm of it. I usually am hesitant to trust in the quality of a game I have not yet played but this time I'm sure I'm not mistaken.
Too bad I have a large backlog of amazing games already

>I usually am hesitant to trust in the quality of a game I have not yet played
>Too bad I have a large backlog of amazing games already
I need a spot lads none of my brainlet.jpgs can do this justice.

>western trash
play a real game like DMC

Attached: 1531640688493.png (446x400, 156K)

when I understood I could kill predators

>le funny pizzaman killing demons while shitty metal plays in the background
no thanks

F

reddit moment

I said usually, not always you retard

Pebbles did nothing wrong

Attached: Rain World - The Great Spear War.webm (1024x576, 2.38M)

Out-fucking-skilled

underrated

How much time do you have to invest to enjoy this game? Do you have to look up stuff for techniques or secrets that you'd miss?

Goddamn

After 2-300 hours you'll have it figured out, you just have to get to the point where it all clicks with you.

Grabbing a grapple worm on your way to Sky Islands makes the most frustrating region in the game into a physics playground you won’t want to leave. I must have spent 30 cycles there just fucking around and hunting boots.

It's the vidya equivalent of a graduate level math class.

Attached: 1555957670465.jpg (470x470, 31K)

>those body jumps

Attached: 1561520093017.png (5000x2571, 124K)

>watching friend play Rain World
>he finally gets to Moon
>”What, that’s it? I don’t get it. I was kinda hoping for more payoff”
It was at this moment I realized I had wasted 20 dollars on a philistine. At least his roommate seems to be getting into it.

Finding Moon isn't even close to what can be considered the 'end' of the game lmao

refunded the game at the 3rd hour mark.

i adore metroidvanias and exploration games, and had been following this game's development years prior release, but i despised the controls, variety and lack of regular progress to the point of sumply losing interest.

call me a fag, a reddit spacer or whatever buzzword you prefer, but i want somebody to tell me why i should give this game another chance

Yeah I know, it’s just one of my personal favorite moments. I’m hoping he’ll start seeing the light when he gets to the Superstructure.

The moment I realized the game was a masterpiece was reaching Garbage Wastes for the first time after wasting 3 hours in Chimney Canopy. The babbling water and humming trash worms were a drastic change of pace from the lizard hell that was the first 3 regions I encountered.

>despised the controls
>lack of regular progress
Mastering the controls IS the progress.

If you want to progress through the story just go where the yellow guy wants you to.

Also:
>variety
>bad

Sounds like you do a fucking lot of it to me. Like, far above average.

i meant to type "lack of variety", my bad.
are you implying the controls are much deeper and fun to mess with than they seem?

You know, I'm an idiot for reading 'philistine' as wrong.
see

Oh, they absolutely are, and I'm not even talking about the 30 hidden moves people figured out.

Someone redpill me on this game. I've heard it's quite good and I've seen some footage of it but I think I'm just too ADD to figure out what it is or if it's for me. What other vidya would you compare it to?

>CLAK CLANK CLA-CLANK CLANK

Attached: Scissorbird.png (246x232, 49K)

i was right in hoping rainfags would start to rekindle my curiosity for this game.

i hope the controls being deep are not the only interesting aspect of this game one could notice only through playing long enough

Is the game easier to control with M & K or controller?

If you’re the kind of person who only has so much free time and hates feeling like they didn’t make any progress during a session, this game might not be for you. Some sections of the game require a zen like patience and focus to get through but I’ve yet to find another game where progress is so rewarding.

>I've heard it's quite good

Attached: Nord Yes.png (680x709, 243K)

I see people talking about this game all the time, but I haven't bothered to look anything up about it, mainly because I'm sort of tempted to give it a try but I wanted to avoid potential spoilers. Can someone give me a general summary of this game without spoilers? Like, what is it gameplay wise?

What you should hope is that you don't get fucking spoiled. Go play the game and revel on how you'll suddenly fucking dance around enemies that used to obliterate you despite having acquired no upgrades, just out of sheer mastery of the controls. Any other surprises that come aside from that you shouldn't want us telling you about.

>avoid ceiling lizard
>dodge gatling spider
Australia dlc when?

Some people will swear by KBM like I did my first play through but it’s honestly pretty subjective. I tried out controller for a bit and it didn’t take long to adjust. I did move the throw button to the top button and map to the right button because it felt more ergonomic. I do all my runs with controller now just cuz it feels more comfortable to be able to sit back with my hands in my lap.

Joystick has the added bonus of making certain advanced movement techs easier to discover.

Can't really compare it to anything, it's quite unique that's why it's great.
Somehow, it reminds me of old school cinematic platformers like Flashback, Another World, Heart of Darkness.

>i hope the controls being deep are not the only interesting aspect of this game one could notice only through playing long enough
No, it's not even one of the selling points for me. It's the whole package, and that it's kind of an anti-game in the sense that it doesn't care about following the basic rules of game or level design, and instead tries to make you feel like a rat in a world that's not designed around you. It doesn't stop there but hopefully you'll experience all that by yourself.

When my favorite youtube said so

Attached: Rain World - Spooky.webm (720x360, 2.6M)

is that big fan expansion out yet?

In the simplest terms?
Find food.
Find shelter.
Don’t die.
Find purpose.

You're a slugcat that gets separated from his pack and must survive by himself in the wastes. Everything is physics driven including your movement so you'll feel clunky at first, but with mastery of the controls comes mastery of the world. Game's super fucking punishing and unforgiving, but since the only thing pushing you ever forward with each attempt is just your increasing skill and knowledge of the wildlife around you (both friend and foe), it's super fucking rewarding.

You're a creature lost in an unfamiliar world full of dangerous predators and terrain. You run around, crawl through narrow pipes, climb poles, and throw a bunch of objects you find scattered around to deter predators and other creatures. The game has "cycles", you can consider them "days" of sorts. Once a cycle is nearing its end, the rain comes and wipes out anything not prepared for it. Eat some food and then find a shelter to survive to the next cycle.
The rest is things you should find on your own. There's a little yellow guy that will point you in the direction of points of interest but you're free to listen or ignore it. You'll have to find out what you actually need to do on your own.

Unironically this

It's an extremely unique game. You should try it, because if you like it, it might just end up being one of your all-time favorites.

Matthewmatosis had no impact whatsoever on the frequency of rain world threads. In fact, he only gave it another shot because of an user that messaged him.

>he only gave it another shot because of an user that messaged him.
Nice fanfiction.

are upgrades fun tho? i especially love the movement ones

now thats an interesting opinion. perhaps i was wrong, trying to apply common vidja logic and rules to this game. i might need to change my mindset entirely

Huh, sounds pretty rad. My only concern is the "Find food" bit. It's not obnoxious with it is it? I've played games where they make a hunger aspect a huge pain.

fucking nightmare fuel

Dig through the archives and you can find the screenshotted DMs
But you’re just a shitposter anyway so eat my ass and lick it clean

Funny enough that's where I dropped the game. I just decided it wasn't worth playing anymore

This but unironically.

More often than not you can find all the food you need for a cycle in one room. There are some times where food may seem scarce but most likely it’s just because you haven’t tried eating enough things.

There are arguably no upgrades. You literally get good.

Once you know what is edible the food is plentiful.

Attached: 1552268380127.jpg (1361x956, 243K)

Bitch there's millions of games no wonder I managed to build a backlog despite being suspicious of game quality

His "interesting" opinion is right. The point of the game is to one hundred percent put you into the mindset of a tiny cat trying to not get eaten by huge carnivorous lizards in the concrete jungle. It doesn't give a shit about "upgrades" or whatever other videogamey conventions people might expect, it only cares about that goal. To be fair I don't blame people if they can't get into that, but it deserves at least a fair chance for everyone.

Food is mostly used to expose you to danger. It's extremely rare that you can't find enough, 99% of the time the real danger is not getting killed by something.

Attached: Rain World - Shoreline.webm (500x600, 1.71M)

Usually it's not a problem but it can be very nerve-wracking to be nearing a cycle's end and not have found any food. Experiment with anything you find, you never know what could be viable food until you try eating it.
Also, in the worst case scenario, do not give up until the game says you are dead. You'll be surprised how far you can push yourself beyond the limit. Just don't go back into the rain.

5-6 hours into the game

>lack of variety
t. never made it past industrial

Well, I'm convinced. I'll probably pick this up sometime soon.

umm this isnt shoreline...

You have stomach slots so to speak, and when hibernating you deplete some of them. For example, in the regular playthrough you'll need 4 slots full to not starve but you can have your 7 slots filled, so next day you wake up with 3 full and just need to find one more food source to be able to not starve that day. If you don't make the 4 slots you can force slugcat to survive with 3, but next day it'll be starving and sometimes it'll trip or faint for a bit, and you need to find food before it just does of hunger
The food sources are varied, but they're mostly done so you don't stick eating just from one until you get enough karma. Fruit takes time to regrow, batflies will stop appearing from certain nests for a while and so on. You won't starve unless you find yourself in a situation where you need all the time to reach a safe spot

I love how slugcat kinda indifferently watches the monster wiggling in agony.

I‘m trying to remember the website but I’m pretty sure you can get it in a 10 dollar bundle with 2 other indie games rn. The other options aren’t great but it’s still half off for Rain World.

so the only upgrade in this game is gitting gud huh

i can get behind that, with how complex the movement is. i just hope this game rewards mindless exploration at least a little bit

Most mindless exploration turns into either finding alternate paths to somewhere else or finding collectibles.

tfw i have rain world webms but can't remember where i stored them

fuck

Attached: 1351631707062.gif (325x244, 94K)

It does, since it can lead you to finding shortcuts (which are extremely valuable since you're always on a timer) or even secret rooms that don't have their entrances marked, and some other things we aren't going to spoil.

It makes me so glad that this game has taken off, it truly deserves it. It's so uncompromising in its goal of putting you in the shoes of a prey animal, and making you interact with the world like it's a real place, and not just through button prompts.
>have to test for yourself what's edible and what's not
>trading pearls with the scavs to get through a checkpoint
>using sight and sound to sneak past enemies, able to throw stones as a distraction
>lots of nuance to movement and combat
>can feed lizards to tame them
>your map is foggy like it's actually being recalled from memory
>can piss off pole mimics to suck in unsuspecting creatures

Attached: 1426241266700.jpg (251x251, 6K)

collectibles? like cosmetic changes to your character or like lore-explaining items?

Unlockable creatures, items, and maps for the competitive/sandbox mode.
There are lore explaining items but they won’t make sense until later.

There's an arena mode in which you can endlessly try to survive in your chosen room. It's great for practicing, specially after you get confident enough to start trying to fight off large predators.

In the main game you can find collectibles that unlock extra things for said arena mode, they're little holographic crystal things that only show up when you come close and are usually in very hard to reach spots.

some items explain lore when brought to a specific location (which can admittedly be kind of tedious), but the rest is best not to spoil

There's an arena mode that's essentially a sandbox you can mess around with. You unlock creatures, items and arenas by finding some glowing electric-looking plants on the main game and touching the tip.
And there are colored pearls. Maybe you'll find a use for them, at some point.

There are collectibles to use in a different game mode, arena, not really useful for normal playthrough, but there are some things you might want to collect but it'll be challenging

Attached: oh god oh god ohgod.webm (810x642, 2.9M)

I like how as soon as someone seemed genuinely interested a bunch of people started to gush the fuck out about the game all at once, and how even though there are multiple posters no one's spoiling anything. That's the power of actually good video-games.

Attached: 1571980637650.jpg (1200x1800, 208K)

Lost all my Rain World images, you guys got some?

Attached: 1580954820066.jpg (680x583, 32K)

Oh hey, I remember that exact room. It was the room that brought me to post on one of these threads for the first time. It was these two guys on this side and another two on the left side, and it was my first time encountering them. I was scared shitless.

Attached: uhh.png (1366x768, 491K)

Attached: slugcat.png (532x445, 118K)

Sure bro

Attached: 1572474544726.png (716x586, 567K)

I found these fuckers for the first time in the wastes area. How are you supposed to go past them? I've seen some walk between the tentacles but they agroo pretty easily

Attached: 1549128916643.jpg (297x335, 12K)

>TFW you start getting into the lore

Attached: 8f737a3f395293da191b6eeef33f7f38.jpg (966x1200, 71K)

they're blind

Attached: 1549122078147.png (142x107, 1K)

They're blind and deaf from what I remember, and just wander around until they touch something. It's pure luck

here

Rain World's lore is a fucking goldmine.

Attached: 1562543290072.gif (236x176, 2.69M)

They are blind. Just don't make physical contact.

Attached: 1580170116256.jpg (700x700, 69K)

I’d never seen so many people using spoiler bars to discuss a game as when I entered my first Rain World thread. Just the way people put so much effort into preserving the experience for others was enough to convince me to buy it right then and there.

Now I’m the guy who sits around waiting for Rain World threads to convince more people to try it. It’s a revelation.

Fitting

Attached: accept your end.png (1128x804, 1.02M)

>Game is greater than the sum of its parts
>it’s individual parts already added up to a 9.5/10
It’s scary how much this game impacted me and sticks with me in my daily life.

more pics

Attached: why.png (200x107, 4K)

Attached: 1549105496729.gif (455x381, 107K)

Attached: 1558038408351.png (620x614, 260K)

Attached: RW_MEME.png (509x648, 125K)

Attached: 1549108655313.png (758x700, 32K)

Attached: sketch-1547960548865.png (720x733, 409K)

Attached: ride.gif (56x63, 4K)

Attached: 1549412737053.png (1913x1788, 699K)

Attached: ENxzJBRXsAAGlIH.jpg (2048x1536, 350K)

Possible map spoilers.

Attached: 1572982071520.png (1590x1094, 2.98M)

Based and Babapilled.

can't post fast enough

Attached: 1577351610015.jpg (1404x1080, 222K)

I love shit like this, I wish someone would draw a realistic representation of the whole region

Attached: The Leg.png (1280x1811, 946K)

Attached: 1580172544206.jpg (800x755, 99K)

I'll help you

Attached: 1572292113242.jpg (629x448, 26K)

thanks buddycat

Attached: Miss.png (750x750, 31K)

SLUGCAT
ON
BABA
IS
CUTE

>Throwing these when there are 1 or more lizards in an area

Attached: 1581745056570.jpg (768x749, 54K)

Anyone got any advice/a decent advice video for starting players? I tried to get into this game and I just got frustrated.

I'll help as well.

Attached: 1556176475310.jpg (776x693, 91K)

Attached: RainWorldMap.png (6625x4130, 1.38M)

Attached: 1558037468670.jpg (2048x1365, 507K)

youtube.com/watch?v=XXJvNRuuWQM

Attached: 1548798659283.jpg (1600x1174, 390K)

spoiler that please
discovering the map is like 25% the fun

Attached: 1579205913173.png (432x384, 122K)

Attached: 1579214915099.jpg (1162x1514, 160K)

Attached: 1580177118688.jpg (687x822, 489K)

Post wembs

Attached: Wh-why are you pointing at me like th-OH GOD.webm (960x540, 1.12M)

>spoiler that please

Attached: No2.jpg (1920x1080, 184K)

I'm out of my best pics, gonna swap to gifs now

Attached: PUP.gif (432x184, 72K)

>no

Attached: 1580182929177.jpg (500x500, 60K)

Figuring shit out for yourself is all the fun of the game, but if you want some shit to help ease yourself in then:

If you end in a place with lots of tubes and water after the first area, you should probably turn back. You aren't prepared yet.
Lizards can deflect your spears if you hit their head. Try to hit them from the back or on the belly, or stun them with a rock first.
Lots of shit that doesn't seem edible is, and some of it needs to be prepped beforehand. If something you've grabbed seems useless, you can probably turn it into food under the right circumstances.
Hold the grab button to swallow objects. Hold it again to spit them out. You can carry valuables with you that way.
Try to stay on the Scav's good side.

Attached: sad.gif (454x448, 2.7M)

Attached: 1552271244952.jpg (1920x1080, 413K)

The game is over 2 years old at this point. No need for spoilers.

Patience, observation, and experimentation. Dying is frustrating as fuck at first but you’ll eventually learn to take it in stride. There’s an infamous trap right before a shelter after one of the hardest parts of the game and I fell for it after hours of struggling just to get to that point. Instead of getting angry I just laughed it off and flawlessly powered through the section a second time.

If you don’t see yourself being able to do that then maybe find some other game to play.

There's clearly a lot of people that just started or consider starting the game. Seeing the whole map in such detail ruins the first time experience, at least in my opinion.

Attached: multituch_gumball.gif (250x175, 552K)

Great, now I want a snow region. And a desert region.
MSC devs please deliver

Attached: Replay 2019-11-11 14-31-43.webm (1280x720, 2.51M)

>There’s an infamous trap right before a shelter after one of the hardest parts of the game
Which one was that?

Attached: reproduce.gif (209x62, 160K)

>get out of the hellhole that is Shaded Citadel, told to go through shore
>find moon after 2 quits 2 restarts
>gives me nothing more than some fucking babbling noises
I ate her neurons and I don't feel bad about it

Normally I would agree, but this game has been fairly unknown and every thread gets new players. Exploring and learning the map is a gratifying experience that should be taken away from the new players.

Attached: 1552259561144.png (500x546, 100K)

the pit before The Leg, I think

Attached: unknown.png (385x171, 23K)

The vertical pipe that’s part of the background at the bottom of The Leg right after Memory Crypts. It’s easier to notice if you have your brightness set high but I had mine on low for extra moodiness.

Attached: unknown2.png (336x111, 14K)

Attached: funny_dog.gif (419x238, 174K)

This is such a silly crossover that makes no sense but it’s two of my favorite games so I love it

Oh yeah, I definitely died on that one. To be fair I was panicked because the rain was almost there.
In fact I couldn't get to that point again at all after that. I ended up restarting the entire game, I was playing Monk and I had no light source. By the time I got back as Survivor I had a lightbulb and got gud.

Attached: nyoomed.png (400x857, 49K)

Attached: unknown-13.png (228x262, 39K)

Attached: oh_no.gif (1130x704, 1.13M)

For me — yeah, pretty much it.

>Let’s go fly a kite
>Up to the highest height!
Grapple Worms are the gift that keeps on giving. Once had a grapple worm save my ass by grabbing onto a DLL right as one of its tentacles grabbed me. Was able to escape by holding onto a platform for dear life with my own grapple worm.

I have some good shots of the game but they're stuck as twitter clips, as it's the best way to post stuff from Switch

Attached: clearwater.png (360x250, 24K)

also have some clips from the PC version I bought afterwards but can't be assed to edit them in any way

Attached: jHY1lo8.png (859x486, 253K)

Attached: 1576458717618.png (710x1079, 72K)

Attached: RW1_002.webm (853x480, 2.49M)

last one
goodnight slutcats

Attached: 562439014590840858.gif (123x123, 27K)

Attached: RW2_002.webm (853x480, 2.73M)

Goodnight slugcat

Attached: 1581099169585.png (975x544, 485K)

Good night.

Attached: 1576473371337.png (1600x1200, 777K)

Attached: he not like.jpg (493x490, 34K)

I couldnt make progress in the game because moon's yellow robot things kept sending me back to her.
Eventually I just ate her batteries or whatever.

That's not a slugcat, that's a spidercat

>sending me back to her
???
If you followed her overseer up to the superstructure you should have found a major plot point and new goal. Did you just grab a neuron and leave the way you came? The overseer isn’t leading you up there for your sake, it’s just incidental that you end up finding the next plot beat

delet this

Attached: 1575950368120.gif (220x220, 905K)

slugkot

Attached: 1562932273865.png (560x420, 169K)

The ending.

Attached: rwmoon.jpg (1279x1217, 137K)

Remember: The game is a fucking liar.

Attached: sakmeiehee.jpg (879x879, 155K)

Attached: yGEbQPi.png (324x85, 14K)

I-I got to her by just exploring around my first playthrough and didn't understand what I was doing, please forgive me

Don't worry, she had it coming.

what did he meanst by this

why are they so scary to me bros

Attached: 174px-Noodleman.png (174x250, 14K)

The game said game over
but the game was not over

you're not dead unless you get dragged offscreen by a predator or slugcat makes the x_x face
if a lizard drops you while he's dragging you to his den (assuming his bite didn't kill you, which doesn't actually happen that often) you can just keep playing like normal

Attached: 1464959978676.gif (640x160, 181K)

Attached: 1576117664433.gif (640x300, 1.07M)

Game over =/= an actual game over.
If you get chomped by something, it doesn't mean you're dead. Your eyes will look like arrows if you're still alive and there is a chance you can escape if luck is on your side.
But if you have Xs for eyes, you're ded ded.

I know it would be infuriating beyond belief, but god do I want this regardless.

I found it really frustrating and kind of pretentious but it is a thoroughly unique and fascinating that I will never touch again outside of the arena mode.
Underhang is the best area, scavengers are cool and I hate the ending.
>mfw most of the damn game

Attached: 1581773174872.png (333x344, 198K)

what didn't you like about the ending?

>I hate the ending.

Attached: curious elf.png (400x399, 196K)

Couldn't get into it because I didn't like the loose movement/combat but it's easily the coolest game I've ever played.

>combat
Don't think of it as of "combat", it's more like "desperate shit you make to stay alive".

>hate the ending
How so? It is pretty different as far as game endings go since there’s no final gauntlet or challenge to overcome like a boss battle. You might sit down for a session toward the end and immediately find the depths without encountering any enemies in between which is kinda disappointing.

But it was beautiful and terrifying all at the same time. Didn’t think anything would be able to top General Systems Bus but the ending was somehow even more impactful.

the more I watch this the more I like it

Attached: 1547960587075.png (966x554, 161K)

its shit

I wanted to see mi familia after all that frustration and tribulation. Felt like I got ripped off to have sluggy just get assimilated into the borg or w/e the fuck happened. I understand it's down to my personal experience though, as finishing the game was a big personal struggle for me as I was going through a very anxious and mentally unsound point in my life with only the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel of RW motivating me. So when I reach that and felt like it just concluded with slugcat dying and never finding his family I took it too much to heart and it just made me very upset and feeling like I was lied to. But that's just me ya know.

Even slugcat lets his family go by the time he gets to the leg

I think it'd make for a great co-op mode with a friend. Both of trying to manage three pups or a challenge mode for those who've already finished the game. Assuming it's not a whole new campaign.

I didn't find it very originql desu. Just felt like 2001 outta nowhere.
My distaste for it is from my experience with it that I detailed a bit more here:
Leave me alone frodo plz

sleep tight slugcat

Attached: 1490069441168.webm (720x480, 843K)

Nigga what do you think that giant mass of slug cat souls at the end was? Sluggo didn’t die, he ascended to a higher plane of existence free of the natural urges and cycles that plagued all life in the material realm. And like the other guy said, Slugcat has long since moved on from his family. Might be hard to grasp from the shelter screen cutscenes but it’s there.

>slugcat dying and never finding his family
I always assumed that slugcat finding his family in the void juice WAS the ending. Also sluggo was ready to die, he had already lived many lifetimes and he was very tired.

Attached: thingken.jpg (600x593, 41K)

God bless Stoats.

I interpreted it as being absorbed into a giant bio computer at the heart of the "rain world". To me, that doesn't feel satisfying. And I didn't get the message about the family stuff. In fact I spent most of the game resenting slugcat for how much the game irritated me and made me a nervous, angry wreck and it was only near the end, past the underhang, where I started to embrace the idea of getting the little guy home. So it felt like a spit in the face to find out that's a fruitless effort.

A shame that got cut, thought, I completely understand the decision.
Also, gamers are not good parents generally.

Fair enough. The biggest flaw with open world games and especially a narrative like Rain World’s is that everybody’s experience differs based on when and where they learn or experience certain things. Personally I was so blown away by 5P that I completely forgot about everything I may have thought about the game or any theories I had and was solely focused on heading down, down, down. Also doesn’t hurt that the game’s concept of ascension is something that’s been on my mind since as long as I can remember being conscious.

Attached: rain world.png (1366x768, 393K)

Attached: 679606C8-6F3A-4C03-B7C4-D08298EC7061.jpg (816x1020, 61K)

>slugcat's last tour

The final scene represents the first image you see in the game, the purple tree with your family, which was kinda the goal in the game, except now you are in some kind of afterlife with other (phantoms, echoes, souls?) slugcats, some kind of heaven for you. Also, the final gameplay segment, where you are swimming through the void and you follow that light it's (i'm sure) a metaphor of the fecundation process, which is strange since the whole point of the liquid void thing is to negate the process of reincarnation. Idk, maybe the idea was to set you in the mentality of a slugcat, you just aren't meant to understand what happens or what's the point of everything

That's interesting. The ending was my favorite part of the game. It was the closest I've had to a religious experience.

Attached: 1576454680143.jpg (1324x741, 196K)

Nice. I want to replay the game to pick up a bunch of screenshots to use as wallpapers.

I know exactly what you mean. I felt more of a connection with that ending than any real life holy site.

Attached: rainworld.jpg (1360x768, 163K)

Such a beautiful game.

Attached: abstractFeel.gif (769x771, 1.7M)

For a while I had a screencap of it as my background. The entire last area and second to last area were gorgeous. It's amazing how a game with only three characters can leave any sort of impact.

Attached: 1556194909461.jpg (799x446, 50K)

Fuck off Wojaktard.

Based.

It's something to consider. I'm sure my laptop could handle it. That said, I'm not too concerned if I have to spend some extra cash on it. Speaking of which, are there any notable issues with the Switch version or does it play fine (or at least well enough)?

I was stuck there for a long time
rest assured, that spot was far and away the hardest part for me, by far even.
It helps i didn't know about the stick bug tether trick that trivializes it

i've heard that the switch version has some pretty serious performance issues

Dang. Oh well, better to find out now than after I suppose, thanks for the heads up.

I would if i still had them fug

Attached: 1577768873550.gif (195x172, 189K)

i agree to an extent honestly
Partially cause I heard how amazing it was in threads like this, partly cause the whole thing once you enter the sea was like 15 minutes for me, it lost its oomph once I saw the giant white things which was cool at least.
Seeing the top of the wall was probably the most powerful moment in the game to me

I think the switch has performance issues, and it doesn't have mods. The last time I looked into it the switch version was also an update behind.

Attached: 1552785878001.webm (500x281, 448K)

>just bought it because of this thread
fuck.

I thought the Switch version was an update ahead? 1.17?

It might be now. I last heard it didn't have the arena in it, but now it does. It might be better now that it's been out for over a year.

Attached: 1556175197816.jpg (624x886, 104K)

I had forgotten how frustrating shoreline could be
>Choose between pipe 1, 2 or 3! Two have an amazing prize and the other instant lizard
>lmao just kidding they're all lizard

>mfw going through that one pipe in shoreline that opens up deep underwater

Attached: WwSYwHo.gif (200x189, 627K)

>try to explore the water
>nope there's an invisible wall here sorry
>have a vulture for your troubles

Attached: 1545626159453.gif (656x368, 1.94M)

That was awful.

Attached: 1579405573193.png (859x958, 976K)

The invisible walls are horseshit. The fucking map shows those rooms as contiguous.

>hits the explosive spear midair with another spear
fucking radical

They're definitely not deaf, they have some of the best hearing in the game.

Those are the blue ones.

On that note, the author of Girl's Last Tour has good taste.

Attached: nuko.gif (370x266, 939K)

>forgot to spoil the image last post
Shoreline is a special type of hell. It was the first place I had to ask for help on. I kept on thinking the guide was taking me to pic related. I had to stop following it and just continuously explore to progress.
Image contains a small spoiler.

Attached: Here_Possibly.png (1920x1080, 1.01M)

>Behind you!!!!
>"What?"
>DUDE LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU THERE'S A LONGS LEGS
>"wha- OH GOD OH FUC

What makes it specially hellish is that sometimes swimming to the sides will take you somewhere, so you have to find a way to avoid the many death hazards on the edge of the screen. Then when you are there you find there was nothing there, and now you have to return on time to find your way out

Some of the rooms having walls that didn't show up on the map frustrated me. I understand why it's like that, but going down a pipe and realizing you can't take a pipe you want and having to plan a new course that's three times as long killed me.

Attached: 1552248384860.jpg (960x1240, 63K)

Ive said it before and I will say it again

rainworld is the best "survival" game
no gay balancing act of hunger bars
no focus on just looting shit
it's just raw kill or be killed

kojima talks all this big talk about OH FUCK ME JEEZ OH WOW IM GONNA DEFINE THE NEXT GENRE and adult swim games is over here making a real innovative masterpiece

fuck rainworld is such a definite 10

Attached: verminator.png (319x305, 119K)

>saw one fuck up a lizard they fucked me up
they dodge attacks like it's fucking nothing
they attack really fucking quick
scary

youtube.com/watch?v=avlavMjis28

youtu.be/vOS-GfoalTI

Holy based.

Excellent representation of the games plot.

Attached: 1554858207875.png (400x591, 129K)

are slugcats just a distant descendant of nukos?

When I entered the Shaded Citadel. Then again when I entered the Memory Crypts. Then again when I entered 5P.

He has been wanting to die for eons but he literally cannot kill himself and can't fulfil his purpose either no matter how hard he tries. He's also being eaten alive.
That will fuck up your mood real bad.

Am I ruining the game for myself by looking at the advanced movements?

There's some really tricky jumps and maneuvers and I really don't think I can figure a lot of these out on my own, does the game ever actually "teach" them to you?

The game never teaches them to you but they're hard to pull off and you don't need any of the tricks to finish the game anyway. The only ones I learned are pushing my way out of pipes/corners to go faster and the backflip which you can figure out without a wiki.

about 2 years ago i "spoiled" my experience by looking a few things up on the wiki and then never finished. i was an underaged retard
if i could forget everything about the game and replay it i would be grateful, cant really find enjoyment in trying to finish it now

It's the only game which really gets the concept of "agility"
NOT speed. Agility. Every attack's outcome is decided by split-second decisions and when you git gud you can survive so many deadly situations. It feels amazingly natural and fits the predator-prey theme super well

Attached: RWDoubleWhite.webm (800x450, 1.64M)

There is a certain joy in learning advanced movements by yourself, but there is more enjoyment in seeing the environments and completing areas. Learning the movements won't ruin the game. They can actually help a lot if you're struggling.

Attached: 1554857602853.gif (560x304, 195K)

i got stuck slightly after five pebbles when I kept dying before a karma gate and couldn't scavenge enough food in the shitty area I was stuck in to get my karma back up
:(

you every just die and quit?

Attached: 20181127173446_1.jpg (1920x1080, 204K)

Bros.. slugcat is so cute i wanna pet him.

All the time.

Attached: 1552257702802.jpg (468x461, 34K)

>ywn have a pet slugcat

Attached: unfortunate development.jpg (795x595, 62K)

Man that's painful. I'll also never get a slugcat plush either.

Attached: 1572634280868.png (1400x1400, 1.76M)

Maybe the rot will end up killing him? Do artificial beings need to be crossed out, or is it enough if they cease functioning?

I played it for a few hours. Boring game with poor controls. Not much to do, you just collect the food and then go to sleep. All the other animals are easy to avoid. I don't see what the appeal is outside of ''wow look at the cute animal.''
At first I thought that when you collect enough food and go to sleep, your little creature grows and you unlock new features to have something to do and have more depth to the game, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

how far did you get before dropping it?

Schizo

>All the other animals are easy to avoid

You're not as bad as all the other retards at least

>tfw REAL want a sequel but the premise of the game makes it better as a stand alone, I know the mods add new stuff and leads onto different interpretation of the lore but it's not the same