What went so horribly wrong?

What went so horribly wrong?

Attached: SFV.jpg (460x215, 43K)

Rushed at launch.
In its current state, it's a solid 7/10. It has the most single-player content of any SF and the best OST and newcomers in the series.

Attached: 47382927771_a205032f96_b.jpg (925x1024, 75K)

On paper it should be incredible. Less gimmicks like Ultras and Focus Attacks, more emphasis on solid fundamentals. But with stubby normals, even easier execution than 4 (yeah, some characters had 1f links but most were for flashy but useless combos, most input requirements were dumbed way the fuck down), and little to fear in terms of punishes to make the game more offensive it just fell apart.

Then throw in this horseshit where you need to buy characters instead of unlocking them. As soon as Capcom found out you could grind at a decent pace for them they dumped that shit quick. Pay up you faggots.

>As soon as Capcom found out you could grind at a decent pace for them they dumped that shit quick
This is the most inexcusable shit. I bought the game after Arcade Edition and it took me 100 hours of ranked matches to get my first 100000 money. I know you can still sorta cheese easy level ups in survival mode but even if that was 200000 money that's still not even 3 stages. The grind is horrible and I hate people who justify it by saying that it used to be easy, as if that has any bearing on it as it is now (and even worse for the people who bought early but didn't play).

This is what kept me from actually getting it.

>Game first comes out with a small roster of characters
>None of the characters are too appealing
>Figure I would wait and see what happens as its too expensive to justify such a small roster
>What ensues is constantly releasing characters but keeping them behind a paywall
>The base game is now cheaper
>But if you buy the base game, you're basically buying a demo

I hate this season pass bullshit.

>yeah, some characters had 1f links but most were for flashy but useless combos

This is how I know you're retarded.

Attached: 1564091245253.jpg (433x480, 26K)

>rushed
>vskill
>vtrigger
>shimmy
>karin
>rashid
>akuma
>guile
>crush counter
> urien st.HP
>karin st.MK
>everything is a frametrap

Yeah. In a way it's worse like this than it would've been if they'd just said "pay up" from the start like arcsys does. At least in that case they're being up-front about it.
Like, on top of that scummy shit, capcom thought the best way to get credibility was to slap tacky ads all over the characters themselves and give you a pittance that still wouldn't buy anything but fortune cards for allowing it. How do you even say that out loud in a planning room and go "Yeah that's what we should do" ?

Played SF4 since 2009 all throughout its lifespan and to this day. The overwhelming majority of 1f links were for combos you never see a pro use unless he's just trolling.

You released a game with no arcade or anything worthwhile outside vs local along with a tiny roster lol. It’s gameplay is now ok after patches but even then the launch and the basic removal of the grind to get new guys is silly. Maybe next time they can get a release right and keep the momentum going

I stopped playing this long ago but heard about the ads. What exactly is happening with that?

Attached: DuLusFjWkAU8Jg_.0.jpg (1200x800, 98K)

buff Ryu pls. his normals have the weakest range in the whole game

You must be kidding me.

Holy fuck. Do the characters just have that on them by default or do you have to manually select a costume with it?

Attached: 1553972641115.jpg (1024x903, 70K)

AAA-priced game with microtransactions. Supposed to attract casuals but no single player, no tutorials and high requirements to run well on PC. Bad netcode that never got fixed. (Except for the netcode, I didn't care about any of the above, but that's why it failed.)

>muh 1f links
You can beat pro players in 4 with mediocre to poor combo execution. I know because I did. While I don't think dumbing down combos is a bad thing from an attracting casuals perspective, it makes the game less interesting for everyone else. I LIKED that there was a risk-reward for doing a safe, easy combo versus trying something I might not be able to pull off.

It was a manual selection thing, along with a loading screen advertising the game and other shit. You would get additional fight money (I think it was like 8 per costume/loading screen up to a certain threshold before stopping) for using them but it was so useless that most people didn't bother.

Not him but, some characters were rather dependent on tight 1 frame links to get decent combos. As someone who played Vega (claw), I can confirm this for a fact that if you wanted to do anything more than a single hit into scarlett terror or ex-fba, the majority of links for him were 1frame. When I see people flat out pretend that wasn't true, it makes me rage. That being said, you are right - the vast majority of 1frame links were not needed in order to perform well with most of the roster. It was just a problem for the characters that nobody bothered with because they sucked for one reason or another (including execution that was too tight to be competitively viable). So that is why the lack of 1 frame links was a welcome change to some of us.

the momment they censored mika it was downhill from there

>best OST and newcomers in the series.
I wouldn't go that far but the OST is pretty damn good and I really, genuinely love every newcomer except for Necalli (COMPLETELY forgettable character imo) and FANG (a little better but not that good still).

I also think that a lot of the hate for the game is overstated. All it needs is a few fixes and it'd be legitimately great. Defensive options need to be buffed, so give us back frame 1 invincible reversals (did S4 do that? I'm not sure), and make back dashes invincible. Also give me some new mechanic to give the game a bit more depth. Maybe using your V-trigger meter to cancel certain moves or something. And finally, nerf mixup-heavy characters like Ibuki.

Boom, I just fixed most serious issues with the game.

>That being said, you are right - the vast majority of 1frame links were not needed

Yes, exactly. They weren't nonexistent and Claw was one of the few exceptions but he often worked best as a poke character anyhow. 1f links were the thing most people complained about when they never used or needed them to begin with. There was complaining about execution in a game that made it piss easy compared to its predecessors.

maybe if it was street fighter and not fucking street blocker

Capcom chased out all their talent.

If Street Fighter was a MOBA would it be Street Kiter?

>he often worked best as a poke character anyhow
Yeah, at the level 90% of players played it, Vega was strictly a poke/gimmick character. Characters that needed proper execution to work at any level - like Viper or Rufus - were the ones you almost never saw online.

Nerfed Gief.

Vega's unplinkable 1 frame link 4 cr. lp into ex izuna drop is the bane of my existence and one of the few combo trials I never completed. Thankfully, it's impractical as fuck and you don't need to use it.

I cant believe this is a numbered entry. How do you go from 2, 3, to this

>I bought the game after Arcade Edition
Did you buy the base game for dirt cheap or the Arcade Edition outright? Either way it kinda gives what you pay for. Arcade Edition gives you what 28 characters plus a few more you can buy with FM from levelling all those characters. From then on it's season passes like any other game.

Name one (1) Street Fighter game that's better than SFV.

The launch was astoundingly shit and this is from somebody who loved sf4. When it came out it was pretty expensive, had little content and any new content you got you either had to buy a $35 USD season pass or grind to unlock stuff. You just felt you were being scammed at every corner, and at the pro level it was way less fun to watch than IV. And now after these fucks have the balls to put uniqlo ads in a non free game ffs

Attached: shaggy.jpg (657x370, 43K)

I like it these days

Attached: 92D8BF73-321F-4DCA-BDF4-A7A53720D059.jpg (916x1749, 190K)

SF4 visual design.

>Defensive options need to be buffed
In addition to what you said, make V-reversals more like Alpha counters and make them do actual damage instead of grey life.

Attached: Akuma ACs.png (504x767, 975K)

Biggest issue is that it wasn't different enough from SF4 or enough of a technological leap to justify being nearly 8 years between the initial release of SF4 and SF5.

Buying SFV at launch and buying DBFZ at launch were such polar opposites in terms of experience

lol no

>jump in j.hk
>LOL I JUST THROW U NOW
>s.mp block
>LOL I JUST THROW U NOW
>cr.mp block
>LOL I JUST THROW U NOW
>wakeup
>LOL I JUST THROW U NOW

I know those fuckers like to throw a """JUST TECH LOL""" but sfv is such a throw spamfest might as well just play a judo game. I stopped taking seriously the community when they legit argued that they need the throws because
>"""overhead in fighting games are useless"""

Street fighter Alpha 2